Guide to hydroponics
Basics of Botany
Hydroponics and the Botanists who work there are important to the station, especially on longer rounds. Botanists grow plants that the Chef can use for food. Without botany, the food choices will be limited.
Latest video tutorial can be found here (made in May, 2020).
Hydroponics is divided into two rooms. The big section is where you'll spend most of your time growing goods. Trays are available where you grow plants and two vending machines, one with seeds and the other with miscellaneous items such as nutrients and tools for your job. The bio-generator can be used to grind plants and produce things for the station. In tandem is the seed dispenser used to reproduce your product. The northern area is where you can grab most of the equipment needed to work in botany.
Plants require nutrients (fertilizer) and water to grow. They are also bothered by pests and weeds.
Trays come equipped with alerts that flash specific colors to tell you what's happening with your plant.
From left to right -
- Green: Ready to harvest.
- Red: Low health, caused by toxins/lack of nutrients/low water/end of lifespan.
- Red (middle): High weed, pest or toxicity levels.
- Yellow: Low nutrients.
- Blue: Low water.
Tools that are of use in botany -
- Plant Analyzer: Ordinary left-click. It doesn't matter if Combat Mode Enable with 4, disable with 1 or toggle with F by default. Left-clicking people with an empty hand will Harm them if on, or Help them if off. Prevents you from switching places or being pushed when colliding with people. is on or not. Shows detailed plant statistics. Ordinary right-click. It doesn't matter if Combat Mode Enable with 4, disable with 1 or toggle with F by default. Left-clicking people with an empty hand will Harm them if on, or Help them if off. Prevents you from switching places or being pushed when colliding with people. is on or not. Shows plant and tray chemical contents and production traits. (also works on crops)
- Cultivator: Kills Weeds.
- Plant Bag: Collects up to 50 items or 100 seeds from your harvest. Useful for moving those into the fridge or biogenerator.
- Wrench: Used to move your trays around.
- Hatchet: Chops tower-caps into planks, chops other things. This is also a robust tool that fits in pockets.
- Shovel: Digs up grass floors and cleans the dirt.
- Spade: Removes and destroys plants in a tray.
- Secateurs: Can be used on a fully grown and harvest-able plant once to obtain a plant graft.
- All-In-One Grinder: This is how you extract reagents from plants - throw them in and hit the "grind" button.
- Portable Seed Extractor: This can harvest and pick up plants and turn up to 100 plants into seeds. Less efficient than the machine.
Tools that require techs for use in botany -
- Floral Somatoray: A gun that requires the botany tech in order to produce. It has 3 modes, which can increase plant yields, mutate a plant's stats, or mutate a plant's species. With a full charge, using it on a tray in close range can limit its mutations to a single product, but requires at least 20 plant endurance.
- Botanogenetic Shears: A tool that requires the Experimental Tools tech. These can remove a gene, chemical, or trait from a plant when used on a tray, but the plant must have a plant health or endurance higher than 15.
Take some seeds from the vendor and put them into the trays. Now, take a look at the tray with a plant analyzer. For now, you only need to pay attention to the bottom five stats - Water/Nutrition and Weeds/Toxic/Pest levels.
Now, fill a bucket from the water tank and grab fertilizer from the vending machine. You get rid of weeds with the cultivator and remove pests with pest spray. Chemistry can give you better chemicals for this, which will be explained later in the guide.
Some plants have a varied growth times, such as wheat growing faster while watermelons or apple trees take a little longer before you can harvest from them.
Once your tray flashes green, you're set to harvest. If you want to replicate the plant to continue growing more, just insert it into the seed extractor.
You can click seeds with a pen to change the name of the plant, the seed's description, or the plant's description. After planting in a hydroponics tray the tray updates with the name and description of the plant inside it.
The Biogenerator makes items out of the nutriment in plants. As a rule of thumb: More nutriment = more biomass. Watermelons and pumpkins are commonly used due to their 20% nutriment boost trait.
To get biomass, grab a spare bucket and equip the machine with it, then use the plant bag to put fruits inside.
If you somehow run out of fertilizer in the vendors, remember you can produce more here. Reagents produced will be poured into the inserted bucket. You can also craft a whole bunch of useful items from the leather/cloth sheets the biogenerator can create.
This is a little complex, so look at: Advanced Botany Removed as of April 3rd, 2020.
Stats, reagents and traits
Three things determine how your plant will turn out: Their stats, reagents and traits.
Stats determine whether your plants are small and grow slowly, or are big and fast-growing.
Click expand to see what stats do:
- Potency: The most important stat (0 to 100). This affects the amount of chemicals in the plant, though some have additional effects, such as stun length for bananas.
The amount of a reagent a plant will produce is reagent% x potency x plant capacity. Almost all plant have 100 capacity by default, so for example 10% nutriment in a 50 potency plant with 100 capacity will produce 5 units of nutriment.
- Yield: How much product you get each harvest. Between 0 and 10. Pay attention to this, because if it drops to 0, you won't harvest anything.
- Production Speed: How fast your plant reaches harvest. Between 1 and 10 -- the lower the faster. The plant has to wait (Production Speed) age cycles before each harvest.
- Maturation Speed: Age cycles before the plant can start production. The first harvest will be (Maturation Speed + Production Speed).
- Lifespan: When the age is above lifespan, the plant starts losing health. Between 10 and 100. Only important for plants with the Perennial Growth trait.
- Age: Age of the plant. Only relevant in terms of the lifespan stat.
- Endurance: Max health. Between 10 and 100.
- Instability: The higher a plant's instability, the plant will passively recieve stat changes over time. Between 20-59, the plant will have it's stats mutate randomly. Above 60, but below 80, the plant will have a chance to mutate to one of it's possible mutations every time it ages. Above 80, the plant has a chance to gain random traits over time.
- Weed growth rate: Determines how quickly weeds grow in the plant tray. Relevant above 0, but only relevant with high vulnerability value.
- Weed vulnerability: The higher, the more easily a plant is overtaken by weeds. Only relevant with very high values.
- Weeds: Reduces plant potency and yield. Remove with a cultivator.
- Pests: Reduces plant potency and yield.
- Toxicity: Hurts health. Can be reduced by overwatering the plant, which replaces water.
- Discovery Value: How rare the species is, the higher this value is, the more money Centcom is willingly to pay for it.
This determines what chemicals are present in a grown plant - New reagents can be transferred between plants with the use of cross-pollination, while reagents can be removed with botanogenetic shears..
With a bit of creativity, you can mix your own mutagen, produce unique healing chemicals or turn tomatoes into napalm grenades. Solid Chemistry knowledge will help you out immensely.
For a detailed list, check out: Plant reference chart
"Fragile" chemicals are unable to be removed via gene shears, but can be cross-pollinated (or even grafted in some cases) like normal chemical genes.
Traits give your plants unique properties. There are plenty - Perennial Growth, for example, lets you harvest plants multiple times.
These can be transferred, just like reagents.
"Immutable" traits are unable to be removed via gene shears or grafted from any plant.
Likewise, "Essential" traits are unable to be removed via shears, but can be grafted in some cases.
List of traits:
|Auto-Distilling Composition||Causes the plant's food reagents to ferment instead. In practice it replaces the plant's nutriment and vitamins with half as much of its fermentated reagent. Mutually exclusive with Auto-Juicing composition.|
|Auto-Juicing Composition||Causes the plant's food reagents to become that plant's juice instead. Similar to auto-distilling composition, but with replaces the food with juice instead. Mutually exclusive with Auto-Distilling composition.|
|Bioluminescence||Causes the plant to glow, emitting light based of potency. Varieties include Shadow Emission, White Bioluminescence, Red Bioluminescence, Yellow Bioluminescence, Green Bioluminescence, Blue Bioluminescence, Purple Bioluminescence and Pink Bioluminescence.|
|Bluespace Activity||Gives the plant bluespace properties, making it teleport people hit if the plant has Liquid Contents, and on slip if it has Slippery Skin. Max radius is determined by potency.|
|Capacitive Cell Production||Plants with this trait can be made into batteries with the addition of wire. Electrical Activity increases the cell's maximum charge.|
|Carnivory||Makes the plant heal from pests instead of taking damage from them.|
|Densified Chemicals||Doubles the reagent capacity of the plant (usually from 100 to 200), which in turn doubles the amount of reagents produced. Halves the maximum yield of the plant, to five.|
|Electrical Activity||Gives the plant electrical charge, making it recharge batteries (in hand, worn container or pocket) when eaten, depending on potency. It also has potency/5 %chance to electrocute on slip if it also has Slippery Skin and on hit if it has Liquid Contents.|
|Endothermic Activity||On harvest, consumes the plant's nutrients to cool the other chemicals inside. Cools the plant's reagents for 5 kelvin per 1 unit of nutriment consumed. Mutually exclusive with Exothermic Activity. Halves the maximum yield of the plant, to five.|
|Exothermic Activity||Similar to endothermic activity, but instead consumes the plant's nutrients to heat the other chemicals inside. Heats the plant's reagents for 25 kelvin per 1 unit of nutriment consumed. Mutually exclusive with Endothermic Activity. Halves the maximum yield of the plant, to five.|
|Fire Resistance||Makes the seeds and produce fireproof.|
|Fungal Vitality||The plant acquires mushroom-like properties, removing the need for water and greatly reducing damage from lack of light. Minimum yield is always 1 and the tray can't be overtaken by weeds. This is a plant type, and is incompatible with other plant types.|
|Gaseous Decomposition||Plants with this trait emit a smoke cloud when squashed, spewing reagents everywhere. Requires Liquid Contents to be useful. Only available through Strange seeds, high instability mutations, or the rare maintenance plant Odious Puffballs.|
|Hallucinatory Feedback||Plants (or plant trash, such as banana peels) with this trait will play a laughter sound effect when slipped on.|
|Hypodermic Prickles||Plants with this trait will sting when thrown (or slipped on with Slippery Skin), transferring up to 20u (at 100 potency) of their chemicals to the target. Does not pierce hardsuits. Mutually exclusive with Liquid Contents trait.|
|Invasive Spreading||Plants with this trait will invade adjacent trays and destroy other plants growing there. Will not overwrite plants of the same species.|
|Liquid Contents||Causes the plant to squash when thrown or slipped on (Slippery Skin), applying the reagents inside on the target and destroying the plant. Mutually exclusive with Hypodermic Prickles and Prickly Adhesion traits.|
|Natural Insecticide||The harvested plant will not attract ants or decompose.|
|Oculary Mimicry||The plant gains a pair of googly eyes.|
|Perennial Growth||Plants with this trait don't die on harvest (and can be harvested multiple times).|
|Prosophobic Inclination||Prevents the plant from mutating species. Does not stop wild mutation from harvest or Floral Somatoray revolution mutation.|
|Symbiotic Resilience||Prevents stat mutations resulting from instability.|
|Prickly Adhesion||When thrown at people plants will non-harmfully embed. If combined with Hypodermic Prickles they will harmfully embed instead. Plants are also set to have 5 throw damage (at max potency). Mutually exclusive with Liquid Contents trait.|
|Slippery Skin||Causes the plant, or any products of the plant, to become slippery. The knockdown time is (Potency * 0.08), divided by 3 unless the plant has lube or is a banana. Maximum knockdown is 7 seconds. Triggers Hypodermic Prickes and Liquid Contents when combined with them.|
|Weed Adaptation||The plant acquires weed-like properties, removing the need for nutrients. Plant growth doesn't get slowed by weeds and the tray can't be overtaken by them. This is a plant type, and is incompatible with other plant types.|
Plants can also have core plant traits. These are irremovable traits that cannot be randomly mutated, but affects how that plant acts at its core.
Many of these traits require 'plant protection' to be picked up and used safely. Plant protection can be gained by using proper leather botanical gloves or a hardsuit / biosuit. Podpeople naturally have plant protection, as well.
List of core traits:
Some unusual plants can have a Discovery Value in their stats, which means their seeds can be sent via the cargo shuttle to be categorized by Centcom. If you can improve upon the plant's potency and send another seed packet, Centcom will reward you handsomely. Remember to send a low potency version first and then the high potency seed on a second trip, gotta show the big boss you are working hard on those vegetables!
This process has a bit of price inelastic/quantity elastic, only need to export a few samples, Centcom doesn't need 200 packets of bluespace tomatoes!
TIP: Some plants have 3 levels of mutations, the third one usually has a higher Discovery Value.
All you need to know about plants - their reagents, traits and what they can mutate into.
Traits that can be copied with GRAFTING are underlined. If a plant does not have an underlined trait, it will default to Perennial Growth, even if the plant traditionally does not have it by default.
Plant Chart (mouse over (some of) the reagents to have a brief effect description)
|Name||Type||Seed||Potting||Product||Reagent Production||Fermentation||Traits||Available from||Mutates into|
|Aloe||Normal||5% nutriment, 5% vitamin. Can be microwaved to create aloe cream.||Tequila||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Ambrosia deus||Normal||5% nutriment, 15% omnizine, 15% synaptizine, 10% space drugs, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Ambrosia vulgaris||Ambrosia gaia|
|Ambrosia gaia||Normal||6% nutriment, 5% earthsblood, 5% vitamin||Fruit wine (70 strength)||Mutate Ambrosia deus|
|Ambrosia vulgaris||Normal||5% nutriment, 10% Libital, 10% Aiuri, 15% space drugs, 10% toxin, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (30 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Ambrosia deus|
|Apple||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Always eaten in one bite.||Hard cider||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Gold apple|
|Bamboo||Normal||Harvesting results in bamboo logs. Cut these logs with a hatchet to produce stackable bamboo cuttings. Use the bamboo cuttings in hand to craft a either a punji stick trap (paralyzes and hurts those who step on it, even with shoes on) or a blow gun (makeshift syringe gun that takes time to fire and deals stamina and suffocation damage to the user).||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Sugarcane, Exotic Seeds Crate|
|Banana||Normal||Drops peels when eaten or destroyed. 10% banana juice, 10% potassium, 4% vitamin, 2% nutriment.
Grind banana peels for (20% of potency) units of pulped banana peel.
|Banana Honk||Slippery Skin, Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Exotic Seeds Crate||Mimana, Blue-space banana|
|Barrelmelon||Normal||20% ale, 10% nutriment.||Antihol||Auto-Distilling Composition||Mutate Watermelon|
|Bell Pepper||Normal||8% vitamin, 4% nutriment. Can be baked into roasted bell peppers.||Fruit wine (20 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Berry||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin.||Gin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Glow-berry, Poison-berry|
|Blood tomato||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% blood, 4% vitamin.||Bloody Mary||Liquid Contents, Perennial Growth||Mutate Tomato|
|Blue-space banana||Normal||20% bluespace dust, 20% liquid dark matter, 10% banana juice, 4% vitamin, 2% nutriment||Banana Honk||Slippery Skin, Bluespace Activity, Perennial Growth||Mutate Banana|
|Blue-space tomato||Normal||20% bluespace dust, 20% space lube, 10% nutriment, 4% vitamin.||Fruit wine (80 strength)||Slippery Skin, Bluespace Activity, Liquid Contents, Perennial Growth||Mutate Blue tomato|
|Blue cherry||Normal||7% nutriment, 7% sugar, 7% oxygen.||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cherry|
|Blue tomato||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% space lube, 4% vitamin||Laughter||Slippery Skin, Perennial Growth||Mutate Tomato||Blue-space tomato|
|Blumpkin||Normal||20% ammonia, 10% chlorine, 20% nutriment||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, mutate Pumpkin|
|Bungo tree||Normal||Harvest will yield a fruit. Grinding or eating the fruit yields a pit.
Fruit: 10% nutriment, 10% Universal Enzyme.
Pit: 10% Bungotoxin, 4% nutriment.
Only the fruit can have other chems from manipulated genes, but both the fruit and pit can have additional plant traits (such is Hypodermic Prickles).
|Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cocoa|
|Cabbage||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (20 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Replica pod|
|Cannabis||Normal||15% space drugs, 35% lipolicide||Fruit wine (20 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked)||Rainbow weed, Deathweed, Lifeweed, Omega weed|
|Carbon Rose||Normal||10% carbon, 5% plastic polymers.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth, Natural Insecticide||Mutate Rose|
|Carpet||Normal||2% nutriment, 5% hydrogen. Use the product in hand to create carpet tiles.||Perennial Growth||Mutate Grass|
|Carrot||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin, 25% oculine. Can be carved into a shiv .||Fruit wine (30 strength)||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Parsnip|
|Chanterelle||Mushroom||10% nutriment||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate, can overtake a tray||Jupiter Cups|
|Cherry||Normal||7% nutriment, 7% sugar||Fruit wine (30 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Blue cherry, Cherry bulb|
|Cherry bomb||Normal||10% nutriment, 10% sugar, 70% blackpowder||Fruit wine (80 strength)||Perennial Growth||Only available from Xenobiology|
|Cherry bulb||Normal||7% nutriment, 7% sugar||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Perennial Growth, Pink Bioluminescence||Mutate Cherry|
|Chili||Normal||4% nutriment, 25% capsaicin, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (20 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Ghost chili, Chilly Pepper|
|Cocoa||Normal||10% nutriment, 25% cocoa.||Creme de Cacao||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Vanilla, Bungo tree|
|Coffee arabica||Normal||10% coffee powder, 4% vitamin, 5% nitrogen.||Kahlua||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Coffee robusta|
|Coffee robusta||Normal||10% coffee powder, 4% vitamin, 10% ephedrine||Kahlua||Perennial Growth||Mutate Coffee arabica|
|Combustible lemon||Normal||5% nutriment, 5% Welding Fuel (can be thrown like an IED)||Fruit wine (70 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Lemon|
|Corn||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% corn oil, 4% vitamin.||Whiskey||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Snapcorn|
|Corpse Flower||Normal||n||10% Formaldehyde. Right before it blooms it starts producing miasma until harvested. Miasma production only works around normal pressure. Potency determines how high the pressure must be for miasma production to work. 50-60 potency is needed in standard pressure. Yield determines the output rate of the miasma. Harvesting does not yield any fruits.||Mutate Starthistle|
|Cotton||Normal||None. Can be turned into fabrics by using a loom, buildable with planks.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||MegaSeed Servitor||Durathread|
|Cucumber||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Death berry||Normal||10% nutriment, 8% coniine, 10% tirizene, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Poison-berry|
|Death nettle||Weed||50% fluorosulphuric acid, 50% sulphuric acid. Hurts if you pick it up without botanist's leather gloves, but is a powerful weapon at high potency. You must be on Combat Mode Enable with 4, disable with 1 or toggle with F by default. Left-clicking people with an empty hand will Harm them if on, or Help them if off. Prevents you from switching places or being pushed when colliding with people. to hit people, or you'll try to forcefeed them instead. Repeatedly attacking with the same nettle will reduce damage each hit and eventually cause it to wither away.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth, Weed Adaptation, Hypodermic Prickles||Mutate Nettle, weed mutation|
|Deathweed||Normal||35% cyanide, 15% space drugs, 15% lipolicide||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cannabis|
|Destroying angel||Mushroom||10% amatoxin, 4% mushroom hallucinogen, 20% amanitin||Fruit wine (60 strength)||Fungal Vitality||Mutate Fly amanita|
|Durathread||Normal||None. Can be turned into durable fabrics by using a loom, buildable with planks.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Mutate Cotton|
|Eggplant||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (20 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Egg-plant|
|Egg-plant||Normal||10% nutriment, egg inside.||Eggnog||Perennial Growth||Mutate Eggplant, Exotic Seeds Crate|
|Embershroom (numerous mushrooms)||Normal||Yields mushroom stems. 4% tinea luxor, 2% vitamin, 2% space drugs||Fruit wine (60 strength)||Fungal Vitality, Bioluminescence, Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Extradimensional orange||Normal||15% haloperidol, 5% nutriment, 4% vitamin.||Mindbreaker Toxin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Orange|
|Fairy grass||Normal||15% space drugs, 5% hydrogen, 2% nutriment. Use the product in hand to create fairy grass tiles.||Fruit wine (15 strength)||Blue Bioluminescence, Perennial Growth||Mutate Grass|
|Fire blossom||Normal||4% Tinea luxor, 5% Carbon, 3% Nutriment.||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Fire Resistance, Yellow Bioluminescence, Perennial Growth||Lavaland|
|Fly amanita||Mushroom||35% amatoxin, 4% mushroom hallucinogen, 10% growth serum||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), Exotic Seeds Crate, can overtake a tray||Destroying angel|
|Fraxinella||Normal||5% nutriment, 5% oil.||Ash||Natural Insecticide||Mutate Geranium|
|Fruiting cactus||Normal||2% vitamin, 2% nutriment, 4% vitrium froth||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Fire Resistance||Lavaland||Star cactus|
|Galaxythistle||Weed||5% nutriment, 10% silibinin||Fruit wine (35 strength)||Weed Adaptation, Invasive Spreading||Mutate Starthistle|
|Garlic||Normal||15% garlic juice, 10% nutriment||Fruit wine (10 strength)||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Gatfruit||Normal||10% sulfur, 10% carbon, 7% nitrogen, 5% potassium, a goddamn .357 revolver||Fruit wine (90 strength)||Perennial Growth||Xenobiology|
|Geranium||Normal||5% nutriment, 20% libital||Vermouth||Natural Insecticide||Mutate Poppy||Fraxinella|
|Glow-berry||Normal||10% nutriment, 25% uranium, 20% iodine, 4% vitamin. Luminosity: 20%.||Fruit wine (60 strength)||White Bioluminescence, Perennial Growth||Mutate Berry|
|Ghost chili||Normal||4% nutriment, 55% capsaicin, 30% condensed capsaicin||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Perennial Growth, Exothermic Activity||Mutate Chili|
|Glowshroom||Mushroom||10% radium, 10% phosphorus, 4% nutriment.||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Bioluminescence, Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked)||Glowcap, Shadowshroom|
|Glowcap||Mushroom||10% teslium, 4% nutriment.||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Electrical Activity, Red Bioluminescence, Fungal Vitality||Mutate Glowshroom|
|Gold apple||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% gold, 4% vitamin. Always eaten in one bite.||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Apple|
|Grapes||Normal||10% nutriment, 10% sugar, 4% vitamin.||Wine||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Green grapes|
|Grass||Normal||2% nutriment, 5% hydrogen. Use the grass in hand to create grass tiles.||Fruit wine (15 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Carpet, Fairy Grass|
|Green beans||Normal||4% vitamin, 4% multiver||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth, Prosophobic Inclination||MegaSeed Servitor||Jumping beans|
|Green grapes||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% aiuri, 10% sugar, 4% vitamin.||Cognac||Mutate Grapes|
|Bundle of Herbs||Weed||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin.||Fernet||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Harebell||Weed||4% nutriment.||Vermouth||Weed Adaptation, Natural Insecticide||Can overtake a tray with weeds.|
|Holymelon||Normal||20% holy water, 4% vitamin, 10% nutriment. Has anti-magic properties when held in hand. Has limited anti-magic charges. Will block 1 spell per 20 potency.||Fruit wine (70 strength)||Perennial Growth, Yellow Bioluminescence||Mutate Watermelon|
|Chilly Pepper||Normal||2% nutriment, 25% frost oil, 2% vitamin||Fruit wine (30 strength)||Perennial Growth, Endothermic Activity||Mutate Chili|
|Inocybe mushroom (tall mushrooms)||Normal||Yields mushroom caps. 4% mindbreaker toxin, 8% entropic polypnium, 4% mushroom hallucinogen||Fruit wine (70 strength)||Fungal Vitality, Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Jumping beans||Normal||5% nutriment, 10% ants||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth, Symbiotic Resilience||Mutate Green Beans|
|Jupiter cups||Mushroom||10% nutriment, 10% Liquid Electricity (unremovable gene)||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Carnivory (unremovable gene), Fungal Vitality||Mutate Chanterelle|
|Killer tomato||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin, can be awoken by using it in hand.||Demon's Blood||Liquid Contents||Mutate Tomato|
|Koibean||Normal||5% nutriment, 10% carpotoxin, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Soybean|
|Korta Nuts||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Grinds into Korta Flour, juices into Korta Milk.||Kortara||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Sweet Korta Nut|
|Sweet Korta Nuts||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin, 10% korta nectar. Grinds into Korta Flour, juices into Korta Milk.||Kortara||Perennial Growth||Mutate Korta Nuts|
|Kudzu||Weed||2% nutriment, 4% multiver. Special, see this.||Fruit wine (20 strength)||Perennial Growth, Weed Adaptation||Mutagen weed mutation|
|Kronkus Vines||Normal||5% nutriment||Kronkus Extract (used in making Kronkaine)||Maintenance|
|Odious Puffball||Mushroom||20% spore toxin, 4% nutriment.||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Gaseous Decomposition, Fungal Vitality, Liquid Contents||Maintenance|
|Laughin' peas||Normal||7% nutriment, 5% sugar, 5% Laughter. Can be juiced for laughin' syrup.||Fruit wine (90 strength)||Perennial Growth, Purple Bioluminescence, Hallucinatory Feedback||Mutate Peas||World peas|
|Lemon||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (30 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Combustible Lemon|
|Liberty-cap||Mushroom||2% nutriment, 25% mushroom hallucinogen||Fruit wine (80 strength)||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), Exotic Seeds Crate, weed mutation|
|Lifeweed||Normal||35% omnizine, 15% space drugs, 15% lipolicide||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cannabis|
|Lily||Normal||5% nutriment, 20% libital||Vermouth||Natural Insecticide||Mutate Poppy||Spaceman's Trumpet Plant|
|Lime||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (30 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, mutate Orange||Orange|
|Meatwheat||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin. When harvested, you can get "meat" from this by using it in hand.||Mutate Wheat|
|Mimana||Normal||10% nothing, 10% mute toxin, 2% nutriment.||Silencer||Slippery Skin, Perennial Growth||Exotic Seeds Crate, Mutate Banana|
|Moonflower||Normal||2% nutriment, 2% vitamin, 20% moonshine.||Absinthe||Purple Bioluminescence, Natural Insecticide||Mutate Sunflower|
|Nettle||Weed||50% sulphuric acid||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth, Weed Adaptation||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), Exotic Seeds Crate, can overtake a tray||Death nettle|
|Novaflower||Normal||25% condensed capsaicin, 30% capsaicin, 4% nutriment. Can deal burn damage.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Natural Insecticide||Mutate Sunflower|
|Oat||Normal||4% nutrient.||Ale||Mutate Wheat|
|Olive||Normal||4% vitamin. 1% nutriment||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth||Can be Ground into Olive paste which if water is added becomes Quality Oil|
|Omega weed||Normal||30% space drugs, 30% mindbreaker toxin, 15% mercury, 15% lithium, 15% atropine, 15% methamphetamine, 15% bath salts, 15% crank, 15% krokodil, 15% lipolicide, 10% nicotine||Fruit wine (90 strength)||Perennial Growth, Green Bioluminescence||Mutate Cannabis|
|Onion sprouts||Normal||4% vitamin, 10% nutriment||Fruit wine (30 strength)||Red onion sprouts|
|Orange||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin.||Triple Sec||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, mutate Lime||Lime, Extradimensional orange|
|Parsnip||Normal||5% vitamin, 5% nutriment, 5% aluminium||Fruit wine (35 strength)||Mutate Carrot|
|Peanut||Normal||4% vitamin, 1% Nutriment||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Can be ground into peanut butter|
|Peas||Normal||10% vitamin, 5% nutriment, 5% water||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Laughin' peas|
|Plum||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin, 4% rosenol. Always eaten in one bite.||Plum wine||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Plumb|
|Plumb||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin, 4% lead. Always eaten in one bite.||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Plum|
|Plump helmet||Mushroom||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin.||Manly Dorf||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), Exotic Seeds Crate, can overtake a tray||Walking mushroom|
|Pineapple||Normal||20% nutriment, 4% water, 2% vitamin||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Perennial Growth, Auto-Juicing Composition||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Poison-berry||Normal||10% nutriment, 15% cyanide, 20% tirizene, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (35 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Berry||Death berry|
|Polypore mushroom (large mushrooms)||Normal||Yields mushroom shavings. 6% sugar, 4% ethanol, 6% stabilizing agent, 2% mint toxin. You can craft mushroom bowls from this.||Fruit wine (20 strength)||Fungal Vitality, Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Poppy||Normal||5% nutriment, 20% libital.||Vermouth||Natural Insecticide||MegaSeed Servitor||Geranium, Lily|
|Porcini mushroom (leafy mushrooms)||Normal||Yields mushroom leaf. 6% nutriment, 4% vitrium froth, 4% nicotine||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Fungal Vitality, Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Potato||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Can be turned into a potato battery by using cable coil on it. Increase potency and add the Electrical Activity trait for higher capacity. Always eaten in one bite.||Vodka||Capacitive Cell Production||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Sweet Potato|
|Pumpkin||Normal||20% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (20 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Blumpkin|
|Rainbow flowers (Rainbow Bunch seeds)||Normal||5% nutriment, 3u color powder of type depending on flower color. Harvest yields flowers of random colors.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth, Natural Insecticide||Exotic Seeds Crate|
|Rainbow weed||Normal||15% lipolicide, 10% mindbreaker toxin, 10% happiness, 5% colorful reagent, 3% psicodine||Fruit wine (60 strength)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cannabis|
|Redbeet||Normal||5% nutriment, 5% vitamin||Fruit wine (60 strength)||Densified Chemicals||Mutate Whitebeet|
|Red onion sprouts||Normal||4% vitamin, 10% nutriment, 5% tear juice||Fruit wine (60 strength)||Mutate Onion Sprouts|
|Rice||Normal||4% nutriment.||Sake||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Reishi||Mushroom||35% multiver, 35% morphine||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), can overtake a tray|
|Replica pod||Normal||Special. Yields max 2 seeds on harvest.||Exotic Seeds Crate, Mutate Cabbage|
|Rose||Normal||5% nutriment, 10% granibitaluri, 5% oil. Can prick you if you aren't wearing gloves. Can be made into bouquets.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Perennial Growth, Natural Insecticide||Carbon Rose|
|Seraka Mycelium||Normal||10% mushroom powder, 2% seraka extract||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Fungal Vitality, Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Shadowshroom||Normal||20% radium, 4% nutriment||Fruit wine (60 strength)||Shadow Emission, Fungal Vitality||Mutate Glowshrooms|
|Shrub||Normal||Use in hand to plant on the ground to grow a hedge. Hedges block sight but can be trimmed with a sharp implement if you have the hedge trimming skillchip.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Exotic seeds crate|
|Snapcorn||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% corn oil, 4% vitamin. Use in hand to pick a snap pop from the cob.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Mutate Corn|
|Soybean||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin, 3% cooking oil. Grind for soy milk.||Fruit wine (20 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Koibean|
|Space tobacco||Normal||3% nutriment, 8% nicotine, 5% salbutamol||Fruit wine (50 strength)||Mutate Tobacco|
|Spaceman's Trumpet Plant||Normal||5% nutriment, 15% Polypyrylium Oligomers (unremovable gene)||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Natural Insecticide||Mutate Lily|
|Star cactus||Normal||5% nutriment, 5% helbital, 8% water||Tequila||Prickly Adhesion, Hypodermic Prickles, Fire Resistance||Mutate Fruiting cactus|
|Starthistle||Weed||None||Weed Adaptation||Can overtake a tray||Corpse Flower, Galaxythistle|
|Steel Cap||Mushroom||5% iron, 5% cellulose fibers. Can't be ground.||Fungal Vitality||Mutate Tower Cap|
|Strange seeds||Normal||Random, read this.||Fruit wine (10-200 strength)||Hacked vending machine, cargo crates|
|Sugarcane||Normal||25% sugar.||Rum||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Bamboo|
|Sunflower||Normal||8% corn oil, 4% nutriment||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Natural Insecticide||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Moonflower, Novaflower|
|Sweet potato||Normal||10% nutriment, 10% sugar, 10% vitamin. Always eaten in one bite.||Sbiten||Mutate Potato|
|Tea aspera||Normal||10% tea powder, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Tea astra|
|Tea astra||Normal||10% tea powder, 10% synaptizine, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Tea aspera|
|Tobacco||Normal||3% nicotine, 3% nutriment.||Creme de Menthe||MegaSeed Servitor||Space tobacco|
|Töchtaüse Berries||Normal||10% Töchtaüse Juice, 4% Itching Powder.||Itching Powder||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Tomato||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin.||Enzyme||Liquid Content, Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Blood, Blue or Killer tomato|
|Tower Cap||Mushroom||5% cellulose fibers. Can't be ground. Yields logs. Turn logs into planks with a hatchet.||Fruit wine (10 strength)||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor, can overtake a tray||Steel Cap|
|Vanilla||Normal||25% vanilla, 10% nutriment.||Vanilla||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cocoa|
|Walking mushroom||Mushroom||15% nutriment, 5% vitamin. Can be awoken by using it in hand.||Oculary Mimicry, Fungal Vitality||Mutate Plump helmet|
|Watermelon||Normal||20% nutriment, 20% water, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (40 strength)||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Barrelmelon, Holymelon|
|Wheat||Normal||4% nutriment.||Beer||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Oat, Meatwheat|
|Whitebeet||Normal||5% nutriment, 20% sugar, 4% vitamin||Fruit wine (40 strength)||MegaSeed Servitor||Redbeet|
|World peas||Normal||15% nutriment, 10% Happiness, 10% Pax. Extremely slow maturation speed (20). Can be juiced for laughin' syrup.||Fruit wine (100 strength)||Blue Bioluminescence||Mutate Laughin' peas|
A lot of chemicals influence plants when in their trays or dirt piles.
- Some reagent effects scale with amount of units stored in the hydroponics tray's or dirt pile's container. This means using more units can cause faster stat changes. These are listed per unit.
- Reagents with random stat changes will have their average (avg) effects listed. These typically do not scale with amount, and require at least 1 unit in the tray.
- Effects without randomness and without scaling are listed as a simple number. They need at least 1 unit in the tray to work.
- All reagents count as "nutrient" for the dark yellow tray lights to go away.
- Reagents will be consumed over time. Remember to refill.
The listed effects in this table happen (tick) about every 20 seconds.
|Name||How to get||Description||Potency||Yield||Production speed (lower is better)||Health||Instability||Pests||Weeds||Toxicity|
|E-Z-Nutrient||Vendor or biogenerator||Trays and dirt piles start with this fertilizer by default.||0.3 per unit||0.1 per unit||0.2|
|Left 4 Zed||Vendor or biogenerator||Raises instability but does little else. Heals the plant.||0.1 per unit||0.2 per unit|
|Robust Harvest||Vendor or biogenerator||Potent nutriment for increasing yield. Slowly decreases instability. Good for maintaining a plant when you don't want more mutations.||0.1 per unit||0.2 per unit||-0.25|
|Ammonia||3 parts Hydrogen
1 part Nitrogen
|10% chance to increase yield and instability by 1. Heals the plant.||0.1 avg||0.12 per unit||0.1 avg|
|Diethylamine||1 part Ammonia
3 parts Hydrogen
1 part Nitrogen
1 part Ethanol
|Quickly maxes yield and health. Removes instability and 1-2 pests.||1 per unit||1 per unit||-1 per unit||-1.5 avg|
|Saltpetre||3 parts Oxygen
1 part Potassium
|Quickly increases potency and can improve production speed. Heals the plant.||1 per unit||-0.05 per unit avg||0.18 per unit|
|Ash||1 part Oil
1 part Welding Fuel
1 part Carbon
|Heals plant and kills weed.||1 per unit||-1|
|Multiver||1 part Sodium Chloride
1 part Chlorine
1 part Sodium
1 part Ash
1 part Oil
1 part Welding Fuel
1 part Carbon
|Removes toxicity.||-2 per unit|
|Unstable Mutagen||1 part Chlorine
1 part Phosphorus
|Special and slightly toxic. Each roll causes one of the following:
||-1 avg||2.5 avg||3|
|Uranium||Grind uranium sheets||Causes the same special rolls as unstable mutagen but also hurts health by 1 (per unit) and adds toxicity by 2 (per unit).||-1 avg and -1 per unit||2.5 avg||2 per unit|
|Enduro Grow||Biogenerator||A specialized nutriment, which decreases product quantity and potency, but strengthens the plant's endurance. Increases endurance by 0.35 per unit.||-0.1 per unit||-0.075 per unit|
|Liquid Earthquake||Biogenerator||A specialized nutriment, which increases the plant's production speed, as well as it's susceptibility to weeds. Increases weed rate (0.1 per u) and weed chance (0.3 per u).||-0.075 per unit||Special|
|Stabilizing Agent||1 part Iron
1 part Oxygen
|Cryoxadone||1 part Acetone
1 part Oil
1 part Welding Fuel
1 part Carbon
1 part Welding Fuel
1 part Unstable Mutagen
1 part Chlorine
1 part Phosphorus
1 part Stable Plasma
|Heals plant and removes toxicity.||3 per unit||-3 per unit|
|Honey||Beekeeping||20% chance to pollinate nearby plants and 80% chance to feed weeds and pests.||1.2 avg||1.2 avg|
|Blood||Crew and monkeys||Helps pests grow.||2.5 avg|
|Sugar||Chemistry or Bar||Helps pests and weeds grow.||1.5 avg||1.5 avg|
|Soda Water||Bar||Keeps plant watered and slightly heals it.||0.1 per unit|
|Holy Water||Chaplain||Heals the plant and keeps it watered. Raises instability.||0.1 per unit||0.15 per unit|
|Strange Reagent||1 part Unstable Mutagen
1 part Chlorine
1 part Phosphorus
1 part Omnizine
Grown from Ambrosia Deus, and found in hot donkpockets, chef made lollipops (Not cyborg dispensed,) and a few other chef meals.
1 part Holy Water
|Spawns either a killer tomato or an angry tree. (Other requirements?)|
|Nutriment||Food||Slightly heals plant.||0.2 per unit|
|Chlorine||Chemistry||Kills all plant life in the tray. Even drains water.||-1 per unit||-2 avg||1.5 per unit|
|Fluorine||Chemistry||Quickly kills all plant life in the tray. Even drains water.||-2 per unit||-2.5 avg||2.5 per unit|
|Phosphorus||Chemistry||Hurts plants and drains water.||-0.75 per unit||-1.5 avg|
|Radium||Chemistry||Hurts the plant and increases toxicity.||-1 per unit||1 per unit|
|Toxin||Hacked NanoMed vendors, Emagged Chem Dispenser||Toxic. Most other toxins have same effect.||2 per unit|
|Plant-B-Gone||1 part Toxin
Hacked NanoMed vendors, Emagged Chem Dispenser
4 parts Water
|Harmful toxic mixture to kill plantlife.||-10 per unit||-6 avg||6 per unit|
|Weed Killer||4 parts Ammonia
3 parts Hydrogen
1 part Nitrogen
1 part Toxin
Hacked NanoMed vendors, Emagged Chem Dispenser
|Harmful toxic mixture to kill weeds.||-1.5 avg||0.5 per unit|
|Pest Killer||1 part Toxin
Hacked NanoMed vendors, Emagged Chem Dispenser
4 parts Ethanol
|Harmful toxic mixture to kill pests.||-1.5 avg||1 per unit|
|Natural Pest Killer||Biogenerator||Harmful toxic mixture to kill pests. Organic version with much lower side effects.||-1.5 avg||0.1 per unit|
|Nicotine||Cigarettes||Toxic.||-1.5 avg||1 per unit|
|Sulphuric Acid||Chemistry||Harmful.||-1 per unit||-1.5 avg||1.5 per unit|
|Fluorosulfuric Acid||1 part Fluorine
1 part Hydrogen
|Harmful.||-2 per unit||-2.5 avg||3 per unit|
|Napalm||1 part Oil
1 part Welding Fuel
1 part Carbon
1 part Welding Fuel
|Has no ill effects if the plant has the fireproof trait. Effective against weeds.||-6 per unit||-7 avg||7 per unit|
|Milk||Cows||Waters plant and reduces potency.||-0.5 per unit|
|Beer||Bar||Waters plant and hurts it.||-0.05 per unit|
|Virus Food||5 parts Water
5 parts Milk
|Plants aren't viruses. Hurts plant.||-0.5 per unit|
Bees greatly increase plant yield, potency and the probability of you getting lynched. Great stuff, and very useful even if you're no traitor!
This is where you get to PLAY GOD and mess with the stats, reagents and traits of plants.
Once any plant has fully grown, it can now be grafted. Grafting a plant costs a small amount of plant health, but it will produce a plant graft. Plant grafts can be be scanned with a plant analyzer to keep track of what traits have been grafted off. Grafting a trait onto a plant freely integrates that trait into the plant. Plant grafts are always physical traits, and can only be grafted once for every instance of the plant grown.
Plant grafts can also be used to average another plant's stats together. It will add 2/3rds of the difference between the two plants, or the graftee's stats, whichever is the higher of the two. This will affect the plant's Lifespan, Endurance, Production, Yield, Weed Production Rate, as well as Weed Vulnerability. This Grafting is good for health related stats and yield, but typically damaging for weed stats and plant production speed.
Crosspollination is available for any two trays who have plants placed right next to each other (including diagonally). When any 2 plants are adjacent to each other, they will slowly average their potency, yield, and instability off into each other, at a rate of 1/10th of their difference every time the plant grows older (1/2 for yield), either upwards or downwards. This allows for using extra plants with high potency or yield to be planted next to plants with signifigantly lower starting stats, in order to either raise up, or drain off stats to where you would want them.
If trying to increase potency or yield, plants like watermelons or Tea Aspera are typically the best for this purpose. If trying to increase instability, Corn is one of the best for improving a plant's instability (In real life, corn was originally a kind of wheat grass, until it was crossbred for centuries into growing larger and larger wheat kernels, eventually growing into maize). The best plants to grow to decrease a plant's instability are any of the flowers, all with a natural instability of 1.
When a plant has over 20 instability, it will begin to accept chemical traits from adjacent plants at random. As a result, this can mean that having plants meant for the chef, like wheat, tomatoes, etc. should be grown next to similar, stable plants if that's your goal. It can also enable you to create chemical mixes within plants, given enough time. Extra chemicals can be removed from a plant through the use of Gene Shears at the cost of health, so if planning to make pure chemical mixes through your plants, you should also plan on improving the plant's endurance to enable them to lose more unwanted chemicals like nutriment faster. A receiving plant can have a chemical production trait upgraded if a sender has the same production with higher percentage.
Many plants can be mutated to change species, change stats or add random new traits or chemical traits.
For each new threshold of instability in a plant, a different effect is added. These effects stack on each other.
- For 0-19 instability, the plant will not be affected by mutations, and will not accept reagent genes from other plants. This is where you want your plant to be if you're happy with its current reagents/traits/stats, and you want to keep it that way.
- At 20+ instability, the plant will casually mutate. Their stats will mutate up and down randomly over time, and can lead to very lopsided stats if left alone.
- At 30+ instability, each of the plant's harvested produce has a chance to be a wild mutation, becoming the produce of one of the possible species mutations instead. The chance is (instability/3)%, so a minimum of 10% and maximum of 33~%. Wild mutations will carry over traits from the parent plant.
- At 40+ instability, the plant will mutate much more strongly, and can result in a larger change in stats than the 20-39 range.
- At 60+ instability, every time they age they have a chance to hard mutate into one of their possible species mutations. This chance is their (instability/2)%, so a minimum of 30% and a maximum of 50% every time the plant ages.
- At 80-100 instability the plant will roll a 5-25% chance every time it ages to gain a new random trait or reagent, similar to what strange seeds can get. Starts at 5% chance at 80 instability and scales to 25% at 100 instability.
- The agonizingly slow way to raise instability is using E-Z Nutriment to make the plant gain it at a static rate. Left 4 Zed is a faster alternative, which improves the plant's instability based on the amount of it within the tank!
Mutating with unstable mutagen
You can speed up the process by asking your local Chemist for a few bottles of Unstable Mutagen.
Having at least 1u mutagen in a tray has the following effects as of current, with odds and effects rolled every time the plant increases in age:
- A 50% chance to increase the plant's instability by 5, useful for statically increasing a plant's instability without the use of other reagents.
- A 10% chance to mutate weeds into their more dangerous counterparts.
- A 10% chance to mutate pests, and create spiders within the tray.
- A 10% chance to harm the plant inside, damaging the plant's health.
Due to how the effects work, using mutagen on a plant tray should be used in combination with other reagents to produce the best results.
- R&D can also research a wonderful thing called a Floral Somatoray. It has three options: randomly increase yield, mutate the plant stats and force a species mutation. Print it from the service techfab after research.
- R&D can produce gene shears after researching Experimental Tools, which will allow you to remove plant genes from a plant. This can be useful when mutating a plant, and whittling down their available reagents to what you need for crosspollination. Print it from the service techfab after research.
Fixing awful stats
Mutating plants has a chance of really ruining stats. Luckily, there are a few ways to fix them. Check the chemical table for the stats you want. Examples:
- Saltpetre. Increases potency and decreases production time.
- Ammonia. Increases yield.
- Floral Somatoray. Can increase yield and can randomize stats.
Trays, whether empty or occupied by plants, can be occasionally overtaken by a weed if their level is 5 or more. In that case the old plant is destroyed, and a new one will sprout in its place.
Possible plants include:
- 1/6 chance for Reishi/Starthistle.
- 1/9 chance for Nettle/Harebell/Amanita/Chanterelle/Tower Cap/Plump Helmets
Having unstable mutagen in high weed level trays can result in different plants:
- Kudzu, Deathnettle, Destroying Angel, Liberty Cap
On any non-dirt tray, ctrl-clicking it will give it a golden shine, activating autogrow. Now it will generate its own water, self-tend weed/pest removal, and consume less nutrients if the tray is upgraded, but at the cost of a large amount of power. This is good for high maintenance plants that require a lot of tending if you need to leave botany for a few moments. Autogrow also prevents species mutations, but does not prevent stat/trait/chem mutations.
This is great in combination with plants that have the Perennial Growth trait, if you can manage the power drain!
Upgraded trays can hold more nutrients, water, and will consume less nutrients every time chemicals are processed. This makes upgrades for individual trays much more valuable, especially when using difficult to produce chemicals.
If possible, growing glowcaps to power your APC can heavily offset the cost of using autogrow on a tray. You'll need a lot of power output in order to generate enough electricity to have all your trays on autogrow, so it's best to individually manage only 1-2 using this feature.
Plumbing allows the creation of several systems to assist you in your work. For example:
- Feeding the trays reagents and possibly water, replacing the autogrow as long as there are reagents in input.
- Creating an automated grinding and/or filtering system for harvests.
You will need fluid ducts , a plumbing constructor , and potentially a plunger. Those can be found in the Chemistry Lab, or constructed on the medical Techfab. Alternatively, you may use Cytology (Science) equipment, if they're not using them.
Hydroponics trays can be connected to plumbing pipe-networks and machinery.
The trays possess a pipe input facing southward, but you may rotate them by unwrenching the tray and alt-clicking it; simply remember to wrench it back in place. If you're using machinery, the red pipe is the input, while the blue one is the output.
You may add reagents to the pipe network using Inputs, fed manually using containers (beakers, bottles, ...). You may also produce some through plumbing machinery (e.g., synthesizers, grinders ) and link it to the network. A plumbing tank might be a useful addition.
Beware that using a plumbing system may fill the reagent tanks to the maximum, disallowing you from manually and individually adding reagents. Since the pipe input leads to the trays' reagent tanks before being sorted out, adding water to the network is nearly guaranteed to provoke said 'clogs.'
To add water to the network, you may transform one of the water tanks into a plumbing-compatible one, using iron sheets, or use a synthesizer configured on water production.
- [to confirm] Note that the plumbing water tanks may suffer from a bug and not connect on the first wrenching attempt. Subsequent attempts should work, assuming the pipe output is oriented properly.
Replica pods can be used to grow dead people back to life - even when their brain and head are missing.
To clone someone, follow these simple steps:
- Take a blood sample from the body using a syringe.
- Inject it into the bag of seeds.
- Plant the seeds.
- Let the plant grow and then harvest it.
- If the ghost of the corpse is still online, and did not turn on "Do not Resuscitate", that person will be cloned as a Podman.
- If there was no ghost available, the resulting harvest will simply produce up to two new packs of seeds.
The podmen are a little different from normal humans. E.g. they regenerate in light but suffer in darkness and don't get attacked by bees or plants.
Cabbage can be mutated into Replica Pod.
Per this PR, Podepeople can now have different chemicals for their blood. The chemical trait with the highest % will be their blood. If there are no chemical traits then their blood is water. While this may sound fun, you have to keep in mind that
- Controlling the chemical traits on the replica pod to get your desired trait is a long and time consuming process, reliant on RNG and getting the botanical sheers.
- Its only one chem so no you cant make a mixture of potassium+water so everytime you bleed there is an explosion
- Having omnizine blood sounds cool, but you are immune to the chemical that makes up your blood.
- Bloodloss will be dangerous, as the only way to replenish it will be injecting more of the chemical into yourself or waiting to naturally regenerate it. If you're at 50% blood loss though its probably a death sentence.
Strange seeds (from hacked vendors or cargo crates) have completely random reagents and traits.
Notable examples are:
- Gaseous Decomposition
- Any drink, like Gin Tonic or Beepsky Smash
- Plasmaman Mutation Toxin
- Hell Water
Of course, this is pretty gimmicky and unreliable.
Kudzu is a weed that can appear when having Unstable Mutagen in a tray with a weed level of 5 or above. The tray version of kudzu will grow normally in its tray. When harvested it will produce kudzu pods . The kudzu pod is like any other fruit/vegetable and can be eaten or ground. To create wild-spreading kudzu, you must put a kudzu pod into a seed extractor, which will create packs of kudzu seeds . Then activate a kudzu seed in your hand to start planting wild-spreading kudzu on the floor.
Some plant stats will affect the wild-spreading version of kudzu in specific ways:
- Potency of the seed will make kudzu mutate more on spread. The chance to mutate on each new piece is [potency / 10].
- Production speed will affect how fast the kudzu will spread. Better (lower) production speed stat speeds up the process. Production speed used to have inverse effect on kudzu spread until a fix in July, 2020. Fastest kudzu spread is now achievable with a production speed stat of 1.
Killing the last piece of kudzu will create a kudzu seed in its place with all the ackumulated mutations saved in the seed. So if you reactivate it, the new kudzu on the floor will have all the same mutations the seed had, and will spread it to all its progenitors. You can examine a wild kudzu to see what mutations it has. Color is decided by the last mutation gained.
Kudzu can gain mutations only on spread, here is the list of all of them:
Click expand to see Kudzu traits and mutations:
- CO2 consumption - positive mutation, consumes CO2 from the air
Space covering - positive mutation, makes vines grow vine floors over spaceRemoved as of August 23 2017.
- Light - positive mutation, about 40% of the vines with this mutation emit light slightly more powerful than PDA
- Transparency - positive mutation, makes vines look-through
- Toxins consumption - positive mutation, absorbs plasma from the air
Bluespace vines - minor negative mutation, makes vines be able to grow through anythingRemoved as of August 23 2017.
- Explosive - minor negative mutation, on death vines with this mutation explode with 0,0,2 power, so clusters of this vine will chain-explode one after another
- Fire resistant - minor negative mutation, makes vines ignore fire damage, be it plasma fires or welders
- Vine eating - minor negative mutation, eats vines from same seed if it lacks this mutation, and always eats vines from other seeds.
- Toxicity - negative mutation, eating vine with this mutation or walking thought it will cause you toxin damage
- Aggressive spreading - negative mutation, will deal heavy damage to mobs when spreading to their tiles or when they get buckled.
- O2 consumption - negative mutation, absorbs O2 from the air around
- N2 consumption - negative mutation, absorbs N2 from the air
- Thorns - negative mutation, makes mobs touching or going through vines recieve physical damage
- Hardening - negative mutation, makes vines not die fast from sharp objects, but makes non-sharp objects(hands included) be more effective agaisnt them, on the full maturation block the passage
- Flowering - negative mutation, makes vines very entangly and spawns harmful flowers occasionally, flowers that after destruction spawn aggressive venus human trap mobs. Ghosts can take control of these by clicking them.
Having special chemicals in the tray when the seeds are growing will affect the specific kudzu mutations:
- Having 5u of welding fuel will remove random positive mutation with a 20% probability
- Having 5u of phenol will remove a random minor negative mutation with a 20% probability
- Having 5u of sterilizine will remove a random negative mutation with a 20% probability
- Having 15u of blood will change the production value of the seeds by a random number in the range from -5 to +15
- Having 5u of amatoxin will change the production value of the seeds by a random number in the range from -15 to +5
- Having 5u of plasma will change the potency value of the seeds by a random number in the range from -15 to +5
- Having 10u of holy water will change a potency value of the seeds by a random number in the range from -5 to +15
If you pick up the grass and use it (click on it in your hand), you will prepare astroturf. Get a crowbar and remove some floor tiles, then place astroturf in their place. In addition to looking nice, it can be used to get some sand. Just dig it with your spade and you'll get two piles. Now, pick up the sand and use it; you will make a sandstone brick. Using three bricks, you can make a soil plot, which is like a tray, except you can walk over it and there are no lights. You can also build a sandstone door with 10 bricks.
Science can build hydroponics trays. They can also upgrade them by replacing the matter bins, and this increases the water and nutrient capacity of the tray.
First you need to get some tower-caps, grow them and harvest them. You can then use hatchet (and some other things, but it's not important) on the logs to chop some planks. They have many uses: you can make chairs, tables, wooden floors and so on. A unique thing here is a drying rack. You can use it to dry a plant, and then smoke it. First, build a rack with 10 planks. Then, grab a plant you want to dry and put it in the rack. Click on the rack and toggle drying so that the red arrows light up. Give it a few seconds and it's done.
Note: you can dry any plant, and smoking it will give you all chemicals that were in it. You can smoke dried apples if you want, and get nutriment from them.
You can craft wooden barrels with the crafting menu (under tribal)( or by using planks in hand), which requires 8 wood planks . Clicking it will toggle it between open and closed. When open you can insert plants or liquid. When closed you can draw liquid by using a container on it.
Inserting a plant into the barrel will ferment the plant after a few seconds (even if not closing it). This will grind the plant, adding all the plant's contained reagents to the barrel. But it can also add an additional reagent depending on plant used. Most plants will create a special wine with varied boozepower depending on plant used. Some plants will create other reagents than wine, and some plants will not work at all.
exploded too busy to help you out?
- Bad idea: Steal a chem dispenser. This will start a blood feud and is one of the biggest reasons why botanists are hated by some chemists. Think of it as someone stealing half your plant trays.
- Better: Grab the spare chem dispenser board from tech storage. The AI, silicons and all members of the Engineering department can let you in.
- Later: Ask Medbay to print you a spare chem dispenser board. After very basic research (Biological Technology), the medical protolathe is able to print chem dispenser boards.
- For stock parts: Print them from a public autolathe (if such has been built) or ask RnD/Engineering for a part replacer with stock parts.
- For stock parts you can also disassemble a hydroponics tray and a cell charger. A cell can then be found or gotten from disassembling a cyborg recharger.
Are your personal high standards keeping you from enjoying a fine smoke? Fear not, for you will no longer have to use rolling paper like an animal. The toiletbong can be crafted with a flamethrower, a wrench and a toilet.
Refer to the Toiletbong Construction Guide for more information on how to build it.
- Fill the toiletbong with produce or food of your choice and turn those items into smoke, one at a time.
- There is a 5% chance of something coming up the pipes. Is it good, is it bad? Depends on you.
- The smoke radius is always 1 (or 2) and cannot be increased further.
- Since the toiletbong is literally a flamethrower attached to a toilet, it will definitely ignite plasma in the air during usage, just like any other heat source.
- Deconstructing the toiletbong will always yield a flamethrower with an empty plasma tank. This is due to
balancing reasonsyou being high while deconstructing it. Engineers may give out toiletbongs freely without having to worry about assistants running around with flamethrowers shortly after.
- The toiletbong can be emagged for the following two effects:
- The smoke radius is increased from 1 to 2
- Instead of smoking one item at a time, all held items are turned into smoke at once. (Your victim might overdose)
Things You Can Make Out of Your Plants
- Add some cable to a potato to make a potato battery. It starts completely charged, and capacity depends on its proficiency (x20) and the Electrical Activity trait (additional x20 if present).
- The maximum capacity is that of Bluespace cells—40,000
- Beware: If the potato has plasma in it, the resulting cell will be likely to explode on use.
- Glowberries and glowshrooms, as the name suggests, glow.
- You can carve a pumpkin with a hatchet. Carved pumpkins can be worn and you can toggle them to emit a weak light.
- You can make a cob-pipe out of a corn cob.
- You can carve a carrot with a hatchet to make a shiv. It's not very strong but it's good at slicing things.
- Flowers and ambrosia can be worn on your head.
- Add dried ambrosia, wheat, tea aspera tips or tobacco leaves to a tower cap log to make a torch.
- Dried ambrosia, tobacco or any mutations of those are able to be smoked from wrapping paper, found in smoking vending machines. You can also grind them and put the liquid in an e-cig.
CLICK EXPAND FOR OLD MUTATING METHOD FOR SERVERS NOT RUNNING THE APRIL 2020 HYDROPONICS REWORK:
Repeatedly click the plant with 5 units of unstable mutagen and prepare for...
- 10% chance of mutation into a related species. This destroys the old plant and plants a new one. See the Plant reference chart for information on these mutations.
- 10% chance of the plant losing lots of health instantly. The plant can die because of this
- 15% chance of heavy stat mutation with a 3% chance of a new trait appearing.
- 15% chance of normal stat mutation.
- 20% chance of nothing. You get a message when this happens.
- 10% chance of weeds mutating. If weed level is less than 5, nothing happens, otherwise you get a random, special mutated weed (Kudzu, Deathnettle, Destroying Angel, Liberty Cap).
- 10% chance of pests mutating. Again, if pest level is less than 5, nothing happens. Otherwise, spiderlings are spawned.
- This is bad. If the spiderlings escape, they'll grow big and you'll likely get lynched.
- You can use radium or uranium, but they require double amounts compared to mutagen and cause ill effects, and if you can get radium, you can get mutagen.
Using 1u mutagen slightly changes stats, 2u has more drastic effects. You can use this to randomize stats until yield and potency are maxed, but you will need a way to heal the plant repeatedly.
CLICK EXPAND FOR OLD CHEMICAL LIST FROM BEFORE THE APRIL 2020 REWORK:
- Nutriment: A fertilizer that adds 1 nutrient to the tray and heals the plant 0.5 health per unit added. You can get it by putting your plants and regular food in the grinder.
- Ammonia: Similar to nutriment, but also increases yield (25u to increase 1 yield). Get it from the Chemist or hack the Nutri-Vend to get this.
- Diethylamine: Adds 2 nutrient to the tray, heals the plant 1 health per unit added and increases yield (50u to increase 1 yield). Also kills pests. Get it the same way you get Ammonia.
- Saltpetre: Heals your plant, increases potency and decreases production time. Doesn't add nutrient to the tray.
- Robust Harvest: Adds 1 nutrient to the tray per unit, and permanently increases plant yield of the tray 30% (without mutating the plant). Doesn't work on plants with 0 yield. A tray can only have the modifiers of one of the three special fertilizers at a time (Robust Harvest, E-Z-Nutrient and Left 4 Zed).
- Pest Killer: Kills pests, and adds a small amount of toxicity.
- Weed Killer: Same as above, but for Weeds.
- E-Z-Nutrient: Makes your plant mutate once every time it's ready for harvesting, and resets the tray's yield modifier to x1 (if another special fertilizer had previously been used on the tray). A tray can only have the modifiers of one of the three special fertilizers at a time (Robust Harvest, E-Z-Nutrient and Left 4 Zed).
- Left 4 Zed: Makes your plant mutate twice, but the yield will permanently be 1 at best. If the plant's yield is 0, then nothing is produced! You'll have to use another mutagen to harvest the normal yield of the plant. A tray can only have the modifiers of one of the three special fertilizers at a time (Robust Harvest, E-Z-Nutrient and Left 4 Zed).
- Unstable Mutagen: Used to randomly mutate plants - 5u for a chance to change the plant type, 1u/2u to only change stats.
- Radium and Uranium: Also usable for mutation (10u for plant type, 2u/5u for stats), but damages plants and adds toxicity. Radium is more damaging.
- Ash: Adds 0.5 nutrient to the tray, heals the plant 0.25 health per unit added and kills weeds.
- Multiver: Makes your plant less toxic. You can get it by whining to anyone who works in Medbay.
- Cryoxadone: Heals your plant, via
miraclesscience. Also lowers toxicity. Don't expect the Chemist to give this to you, but the medbay probably has extra beakers of this.
- Holy water: If you can get the Chaplain's attention and make him bless your water, it will heal your plant a bit.
- Soda Water: Mostly adds water, but also heals the plant and adds nutrient to the tray by a tiny amount.
- Milk: Adds some water and a tiny bit of nutrient to the tray.
- Beer: Adds a bit of water and nutrient to the tray, but damages the plant a little.
- Blood: Feeds both your plant and pests.
- Virus Food: Adds nutrient to the tray while damaging the plant.
- Nicotine: Kills pests while adding toxicity.
The bad stuff
- Sugar: Makes pests and weeds grow stronger. Unless you plan to use unstable mutagen to unleash giant spiders or Kudzu upon the station, it's of no use.
- Toxin: Increases toxicity. Good job!
- Plant-B-Gone, Sulphuric Acid, Fluorosulfuric Acid: Damages the plant, adds toxicity and kills weeds. What do you think would happen?
- Fluorine, Chlorine: Same as above, but also drains water.
- Phosphorus: Same as Flourine/Chlorine, but adds nutrients to the tray instead of toxicity. Just use a spade.
- Napalm: Kills weeds, hurts plant and adds toxicity. This is just going downhill. Unless your plant has the fireproof trait, you might as well space the whole tray. On fireproof plants it will just kill weeds.
- Strange Reagent: Spawns either a killer tomato or an angry tree.
[Click here for a long bonus guide for the pre-2020 system.] It also includes a lot of extra "recipes" for what you can turn your plants into.