Grenades are made of three things: Chemicals, trigger assemblies, and a crunchy candy coating (usually made of metal). When you arm them, the trigger sits there, waiting patiently for an excuse to go off, until finally the grenade primes, the chemicals mix, and whatever happens, happens.
- Obtain a Grenade Casing (regular or large), one to two bottles or beakers full of your payload (see below for ideas), and a Cable Coil.
- You can create a slime core grenade by substituting a slime core for one of the bottles, but only when using a Large Grenade Casing researchable at R&D. Be sure you have another bottle with the necessary reagent, or the slime core won't do anything!
- For the strongest grenades you will need to use Bluespace Beakers, which also only fit in Large Grenade Casings.
- Attach the Cable Coil to the Grenade Casing.
- The Cable Coil can be replaced by a trigger assembly if another kind of bomb is desired.
- Open the control panel on your trigger and adjust settings as desired.
- Possible triggers: Timer, Proximity Sensor, Mousetrap, Remote Signaling Device, Voice Analyzer, Health Sensor or Infrared Emitter.
- Use screwdriver on the Igniter and trigger so they "can be attached".
- When they are "can be attached", use one on the other to create an (trigger)-Igniter Assembly.
- Use screwdriver on the (trigger)-Igniter Assembly so it "can be attached".
- Attach the (trigger)-Igniter Assembly to the Grenade Casing.
- Insert the bottles or breakers with your payload into the Unsecured Grenade.
- Use Screwdriver on the Unsecured Grenade to finish the Grenade.
A Wrench can be used to extract the payload from an Unsecured Grenade. If the Wrench is used on an empty Unsecured Grenade the trigger will be removed and leave it to be just a Grenade Casing.
For a list of possible chemical reactions, see the Guide to chemistry. Note that some reactions go off immediately when mixed, and must be separated into two bottles. Also note that slime cores are volatile, and when used in grenades, some reagents may be lost.
Obtaining the Materials
Legal Payload Ideas
Illegal Payload Ideas
- Knockout Smoke:
- Bottle: 10u Phosporous, 10u Potassium, 10u Chloral Hydrate
- Bottle: 10u Sugar, 20u Chloral Hydrate
- Small Explosive:
- Bottle: 30u Potassium
- Bottle: 30u Water
- Lethal Meth Grenade
- Beaker: 10u Phosphorous, 10u Potassium, 30u Meth
- Beaker: 10u Sugar, 40u Meth
- Tested on a chef in a confined space. Flailed around uncontrollably and quickly became retarded before dropping into crit. Died shortly after going into crit from an insane amount of toxin damage.
- Fluorosulphuric Foam Grenade
- Beaker: 30u Fluorosurfactant, 20u Fluorosulfuric Acid
- Beaker: 30u Water, 20u Fluorosulfuric Acid
- Will deal damage. Victims will likely slip in the foam and fall down, causing even more damage.
- Silent Murder
- Beaker: 15u Phosphorous, 15u Potassium, 20u Mute Toxin
- Beaker: 15u Sugar, 35u Cyanide
- Silences victims, then kills them very slowly with Cyanide. When used correctly, it is a possible tool for mass murder. For bonus points, use a voice analyzer so it kills the clown the next time he HONKs.
The grenade will be work differently depending on the trigger used in it's construction:
- Cable: Goes off after 5 seconds
- Igniter+Timer: Goes off after a certain time has elapsed
- Igniter+Mousetrap: Goes off when stepped on, or when its current container is opened
- Igniter+Proximity Sensor: Goes off when something moves within a chosen range (there is an arming period)
- Igniter+Remote Signaling Device: Goes off when it receives the correct code via radio
- Igniter+Voice Analyzer: Goes off when the trigger phrase is said out loud, after a short delay (record phrase with voice analyzer beforehand)
- Igniter+Health Sensor: Goes off when the person carrying it is in crit or dead (use a multitool on the health sensor to toggle crit/death)
- Igniter+Infrared Emitter: When triggered, a laser beam (either invisible or red) will extend out in the direction the grenade is facing (it can be rotated by dragging it). If that beam is disturbed, the grenade will go off
Use a grenade in hand to activate it in case of a Cable trigger. If any other kind of trigger is used, the trigger's default menu will open and allow for it's settings to be changed and activated.
When the grenade goes off, the chemical beakers/bottles inside will mix their contents and heat them by 10°K (or 500°K if you use a Pyro Grenade). If the mixture causes an effect (Smoke, an explosion, etc), it will happen at this time; otherwise, the resultant chemicals will be splashed on everything nearby. A grenade filled with Space Lube, for instance, will coat every nearby floor surface with slippery goop.
If you use Wirecutters on a Grenade, you will unsecure it and thereby stop its timer. A Wrench can then be used to remove the payload to prevent anyone from rearming it.