Guide to Research and Development
- 1 Research & Development
- 2 Deconstruction
- 3 Tech categories
- 4 Tech Levels
- 5 Construction
- 6 Duke's R&D Guide
Research & Development
- R&D (not to be confused with the RD) consists of scientists experimenting on individual objects found around the station by putting them in the Destructive Analyzer, which reverse-engineers and disintegrates the object. The R&D console will allow you to then use the technology from deconstructed objects to build more advanced and efficient versions of the original object, and even new tools such as laser cannons!
- Essentially this means that a scientist in this modern world doesn't actually have to know any of the concepts he's working with; it's all about melting things down and playing with the resulting toys! Ain't life grand?
Note that this guide is just mostly about what type of technology different items are. There are many, many ways to do R&D.
- Sync the Destructive Analyzer to the research computer if it's not synced.
- Insert an item into it.
- Use the computer.
The computer will will show you tech levels of the item. Items of same level in a category will raise the tech level of that category by 1. Items with higher tech level will raise the tech level of that category to that level. It is possible to eject items from the Destructive Analyzer.
The Destructive Analyzer will recover a portion of the materials contained inside scanned items and transfer it to a connected protolathe. Upgrading it will increase the amount recovered.
Development of new and improved materials.
Important category. Used commonly and needed especially in mining items. Deconstructing new materials can make this level higher.
Development of new and improved engineering techniques.
Needed to produce some complex machines for the station. Genetics, being bio-engineering, can help with this.
Research into the mysterious substance colloqually known as plasma.
The main reason for the entire research station. Required for chemistry related and hi-tech items. Mostly obtainable from items related to plasma.
The various technologies behind the storage and generation of electicity.
Helping with things related to power such as recharging, storing power or items that use power. There are many items such as batteries that can make this higher.
Research into the sub-reality known as "blue-space".
Unlocks both hi-tech components and teleportation technology.
Research into the deeper mysteries of life and organic substances.
Needed for items and machines related to medicine or biological items, such as cybernetic implants.
The development of offensive and defensive systems.
As the name suggests, unlocks various weapons. All kinds of weapons can improve this technology.
Research into the electromagnetic spectrum. No clue how they actually work, though.
Many items related to electricity and magnets need this technology. Get it higher for some fun electric toys.
The development of new computer and artificial intelligence and data storage systems.
Used for circuit boards and many artificial intelligence items.
The study of technologies that violate Nanotrasen regulations.
Getting these levels up often needs illegal items. They unlock some reverse-engineered traitor items to help the station.
|Origin level of items||Description|
|1||Easy to get items. These are common and easily obtainable from any place|
|2||Uncommon items that can still be found but there are less of these. They are still easy to make or build with a protolathe|
|3||Rare items. There are some of these items near R&D but they are usually items that you have to build with a protolathe. You need to get some basic levels first.|
|4||Very rare items. These are only found in some restricted places and are a little harder to build. It is still possible to make all of these after working a while with the earlier levels.|
|5||These items are not buildable in R&D lab but are still fairly easy to obtain. Try asking help from other departments such as xenobiology, cargo or botany. Don't forget to take some machine upgrades with you to make them happy!|
|6||These items are rather hard to get. They can be rare on the station or require even more help from other departments.|
|7||These items require luck and are very rare. Mostly obtainable from random events.|
Here are some of the high level items needed to get high levels.
|Origin level 5||Durand armor, uranium sheet, golden apple||DNA syringe with 5 powers, piercing syringe, hardsuit jetpack upgrade||Phazon torso||Slime power cell||Bluespace banana and tomato||Heart, Brain, Blood tomato, some xenobio potions||Death nettle, Chain of Command||Ghost chili||Purge AI module, walking mushroom, forensic scanner,||Syndicate beacons, Power sink, Mini crossbow|
|Origin level 6||Diamond sheet, Gygax armor||DNA syringe with 6 powers, machine prototype from cargo||Glowberries, glowshrooms||Glowcap||Bluespace crystal||Sentience potion, alien brain, ambrosia gaia||Combat shotgun, gatfruit||Lazarus injector||Mining drone AI upgrade||M-90gl carbine|
|Origin level 7||Abductor helmet||Vortex anomaly||Pyro anomaly||Flux anomaly||Bluespace anomaly||Abductor baton, changeling egg||Sniper rifle||Gravitational anomaly||Swarmer shell||\\\|
- Strange items have a 25% change of having a high tech level! Try them out!
- DNA syringe give more (bio-)engineering levels the more powers they contain! One level for each power, minus one for each disability.
- Anomalies have some very high tech in them, so try to gather them with analyzer and remote signaller.
Table of Researchable Items
Notice: All the levels have not been updated to wiki yet. The first list has updated levels of items.
|Circuit board (Emitter)||4||4||3|
|Circuit board (Gibber)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Food Processor)||1|
|Circuit board (Seed Extractor)||1|
|Circuit board (Recycler)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Smartfridge)||1|
|Circuit board (Monkey Recycler)||2||1|
|Circuit board (Holopad)||1|
|Bluespace Power Cell||4||4||5||4|
|Triphasic Scanning Module||4||4||5|
|Quad Ultra Micro Laser||4||4||5|
|Bluespace Matter Bin||6||4||4|
|Advanced scanning module||3|
|Advanced matter bin||3|
|Phasic scanning module||4||4|
|Super matter bin||4||4|
|Subspace treatment disk||2||2||2||2|
|Subspace Wavelength analyzer||2||2||2||2|
|Any circuit board not listed||2|
|Circuit board (Turbine Computer)||4||4||4|
|Circuit board (Telescience Console)||4||3||3|
|Circuit board (Message Monitor)||2|
|Circuit board (AI core)||3|
|Circuit board (AI Upload)||4||4|
|Circuit board (Cyborg Upload)||4||4|
|Circuit board (PanD.E.M.I.C. 2200)||2||2|
|Circuit board (DNA Machine)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Communications)||3||3|
|Circuit board (Teleporter)||3||3||3|
|Circuit board (Robotics Control)||3|
|Circuit board (Cloning)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Arcade Battle)||1|
|Circuit board (Solar Control)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Crew Monitoring Console)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Mech Bay Power Control Console)||3||3|
|Circuit board (Supply shuttle console)||3|
|Circuit board (Operating Computer)||3||2|
|Circuit board (Telecommunications Monitor)||2||3||3|
|Circuit board (Telecommunications Server Monitor)||2||3||3|
|Circuit board (AI Integrity Restorer)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Booze-O-Mat Vendor)||1|
|Circuit board (SMES)||3||3||3|
|Circuit board (Power Compressor)||4||4||4|
|Circuit board (Power Turbine)||4||4||4|
|Circuit board (Mechbay Recharger)||3||3||3|
|Circuit board (Teleporter Hub)||4||4||4||3|
|Circuit board (Teleporter Station)||4||3||4||4|
|Circuit board (Telepad)||3||4||4||4|
|Circuit board (Sleeper)||3||2||3|
|Circuit board (Cryotube)||4||3||3||4|
|Circuit board (Cooler/Heater)||2||2||2|
|Circuit board (Biogenerator)||3||3||2|
|Circuit board (Microwave)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Portable Chem Dispenser)||4||4||3||4|
|Circuit board (Destructive Analyzer)||2||2||2|
|Circuit board (Autolathe)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Protolathe)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Circuit Imprinter)||2||2|
|Circut board (PACMAN-type Generator)||3||3||3||2|
|Circut board (SUPERPACMAN-type Generator)||4||4||3|
|Circut board (MRSPACMAN-type Generator)||4||4||4||3|
|Circuit board (R&D Server)||3|
|Circuit board (Exosuit Fabricator)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Clone Pod)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Clone Scanner)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Cyborg Recharger)||3||3|
|Circuit board (Subspace Receiver)||2||1||2|
|Circuit board (Hub Mainframe)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Relay Mainframe)||2||2||2|
|Circuit board (Bus Mainframe)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Processor Unit)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Telecommunication Server)||2||2|
|Circuit board (Subspace Broadcaster)||2||1||2|
|Suspicious beacon (Singularity beacon)||6||5|
|Suspicious beacon (Bomb beacon)||5||5|
|Suspicious beacon (Powersink beacon)||4||5|
|Big red button||3|
|[]||Non-listed mecha equipment||2||2|
|Mounted sleeper [Mecha]||3||2||3|
|Syringe gun [Mecha]||3||4||4|
|Diamond drill [Mecha]||4||4|
|Mounted RCD [Mecha]||4||4||4||3||4|
|Wormhole generator [Mecha]||2||4||4|
|Gravitational Catapult [Mecha]||4||3||3|
|Armor booster module (Close Combat Weaponry) [Mecha]||4||4|
|Armor booster module (Ranged Weaponry) [Mecha]||4||3||3|
|Repair droid [Mecha]||4||3||3|
|Energy relay [Mecha]||4||4||4|
|Plasma converter [Mecha]||2||2||2|
|Exonuclear reactor [Mecha]||4||4|
|EZ-13 MK2 heavy pulse rifle [Mecha]||3||4||6|
|CH-PS "Immolator" laser [Mecha]||3||3||3|
|CH-LC "Solaris" laser cannon||3||4||4|
|MKIV ion heavy cannon||4||5||4|
|217-D Heavy Plasma Cutter||3||3||4|
|PBT "Pacifier" mounted taser||3|
|LBX AC 10 "Scattershot"||4|
|Ultra AC 2||4|
|SRM-8 missile rack||4||4||5|
|SGL-6 grenade launcher||4||4|
|All other mecha weapons||3||3|
|Exosuit tracking beacon||2||2|
|Ripley arms and legs||2||2||2|
|Gygax arms and legs||4||3||2|
|Gygax armor plates||6||4||4|
|Durand arms and legs||3||3||2|
|Durand armor plates||6||4||4|
|Odysseus arms and legs||2||2||2|
|Ripley circut boards||2|
|Circuit board (Gygax Weapon Control and Targeting module)||4||4|
|Gygax non-weapon circuit boards||3||3||4|
|Circuit board (Durand Weapon Control and Targeting module)||3||4||4|
|Durand non-weapon circuit boards||3||3||4|
|H.O.N.K. circuit boards||3||3|
|Odysseus circuit boards||3||3|
|Flux wave anomaly||7|
|Syndicate encryption key/headset||3||2||1|
|Binary encryption key/headset||4||3||3|
|File:Adv Mass Spectrometer.png||Advanced mass-spectrometer||3||3||4|
|File:Adv Mass Spectrometer.png||Slime scanner||2|
|'Safeguard' AI Module||3||3|
|'OneHuman' AI Module||4||4|
|'ProtectStation' AI Module||4||4|
|'Quarantine' AI Module||4||2||3|
|'OxygenIsToxicToHumans' AI Module||4||2||4|
|Freeform AI Module||4||4|
|'Reset' AI Module||2||3|
|'Purge' AI Module||4||5|
|'Asimov' AI Module||4||3|
|'Asimov++' Core AI Module||4||3|
|'P.A.L.A.D.I.N.' Core AI Module||4||3|
|Custom Core AI Module||4||3|
|'T.Y.R.A.N.T.' Core AI Module||4||3||1|
|'Robocop' Core AI Module||4|
|'Antimov' Core AI Module||4|
|'Freeform' Core AI Module||4||5|
|Hacked AI Module||5||5||5|
|Classic EMP grenade||2||3|
|Viscerator delivery grenade||3||4||3|
|Carp delivery grenade||3||4||3|
|Chain of command||5|
|High-capacity power cell||2|
|Super-capacity power cell||3||3|
|Hyper-capacity power cell||4||4||4|
|Charged slime core [Yellow]||5||4|
|Compressed matter cartridge||3|
|Scroll of teleportation||6|
|Lesser scroll of teleportation||5|
|Energy combat shield||4||5||6|
|Bag of holding||4||4||5||5|
|Suspicious looking toolbox||2||2||1|
|Locator [for implants]||2||3|
|Industrial welding tool||2||2|
|Upgraded welding tool||3||2|
|Dual energy sword||4||5|
|Remote signaling device||1|
|Optical Meson Scanner||2||1|
|Night Vision Optical Meson Scanner||5||4||4|
|Night Vision Goggles||4||4||4||4|
|Optical Material Scanner||3||3|
|Optical Thermal Scanner||3|
|Chameleon Thermals [Syndicate item]||3||4|
|Night Vision Health Scanner HUD||5||4||4||4|
|Night Vision Diagnostic HUD||5||4||4||4|
|Night Vision Security HUD||5||4||4||4|
|Welding gas mask||2||3|
|Chameleon shoes [Syndicate item]||2|
|Chameleon jumpsuit [Syndicate item]||2|
|Diamond mining drill||6||4||4|
|Bluespace shelter capsule||3||3|
|Advanced plasma cutter||4||2||4||3||3||3|
|Sleepy Pen [Syndicate item]||4||2|
|Ammunition box (9mm)||2|
|Ammunition box (10mm)||2|
|Ammunition box (.45)||2|
|Ammunition box (12mm)||2|
|Accelerator laser cannon||3||4||4|
|Xray laser gun||4||6||4||1|
|Laser tag gun||2||2|
|Advanced energy gun||4||4||4|
|Hybrid taser gun||4|
|Mini Energy Crossbow||4||4||5|
|Bluespace Wormhole Projector||4||4||6||4|
|Abductor Science Tool||7||4||4|
|Abductor Recall Implant||2||4||7||4|
|File:Scalpelpng||Abductor Surgery Tool||2||2|
|File:Abductor headgear.png||Abductor Agent Headgear||7||4|
This table mostly uses the old levels and is mostly outdated.
See here how to build machines out of the components you discover. This is where advanced technology you discovered by increasing tech trees will be made. Nothing exciting at first can be built, but you will get increasingly more fun devices as tech trees increase. You will unlock items for the Exosuit Fabricator as well.
All machines are composed of components. There are better versions of many components, attained through research. They are organized in 4 tiers, and upgrading the tier of a machine's components will have different effects for each machine.
Without minerals, you can achieve up to tier 2-3; to go further you'll require ores for production.
Once you unlock advanced components, people around the station will probably want you to upgrade the machinery. The process is simple.
- Screwdriver on the machine.
- Crowbar on the machine.
- Take the board and re-insert it into machine.
- Insert parts you want to use.
- Load RPED with parts.
- Screwdriver on the machine.
- Click on it with RPED.
- Screwdriver again.
- The Protolathe requires materials such as metal, glass and mineable minerals, each sheet gives 2000 units when inserted into a Protolathe. It allows you to build objects such as stock parts, mining equipment, power cells and many more. Weaponry can also be built, but will require a firing pin from the armory, the RD's locker or ordered from cargo, if you wish to use it for combat.
- Building 5 or 10 of the same item is faster than building it one at a time for 10 times; if you need lots of a particular item, mass produce them!
- Some items may also require chems. Just pour them into the Protolathe to insert them.
- The Circuit Imprinter requires acid, glass and occasionally gold or diamond. Here you will find circuits for most of the station's machinery and robotics' exosuits. With gold and diamonds, you can also make AI law modules.
- Information on how to construct machines is available at the Guide to advanced construction.
- Circuits cost 1000 glass and 20 acid each, becoming cheaper with upgrades.
- Robotics starts with two of these. This machine will build everything a roboticist needs to do his job, aside from circuits. To update its research levels:
- Sync the R&D Research Console.
- Sync the Robotics Research Console.
- Sync the Exosuit Fabricator.
- Can be used directly, without the Research Console.
Items available from the start:
(Note: Bananium is not used and skipped from the table.)
Duke's R&D Guide
Player XDTM posted an RnD guide on the forums that is very popular among experienced scientists. Here it is:
Start - Gather and scan these materials from the RnD room
- Micro Manip
- Flamethrower ( with another welder; just screwdriver it then attach a rod )
Alternate Start (if you can't be assed to make a flamethrower/want to keep a welding tool just in case. I use this one now)
- Micro Manip
- Meson Goggles
Protolathe - We don't need circuits till a lot later, don't waste acid
- Mining Drill
- Nano Manip
- Mass Spectrometer
- Medical HUD
- Security HUD
- Super power cell
- Holographic sign projector
- Adv. Mass Spectrometer
- Adv. Release Grenade
- Welding Shield Eyes ---> Mat 5 -->Picos and Super Bins
With this you can make pico manips and super matter bins. Print an RPED, some picos and some super bins and upgrade your protolathe and circuit imprinter, greatly reducing the part cost. Do this before printing circuits or you'll waste acid!
- Tracking Beacon
- GPS Device --> Blu 3 (Enough for Bluespace RPEDs)
- Power Turbine Board --->Power 5, Data 5 --> Required for chem dispenser board
- Teleporter Board
- Teleport. Station Board OR Quantum Pad board --->Bluespace 5, enough for femtos and bluesp. matter bins with material 7
- Chem dispenser board --->Plasma 5 (Needed for NV mesons)
- Durand weapon board --->Combat 5
Minerals/Mining (in the rare event that miners didn't die)
- Uranium --->Mat 6
- Diamond --->Mat 7
- 2 Bluespace Crystals --->Bluespace 7
- Jetpack Upgrade --->Engineering 6 (You can just decon a piercing syringe for this one)
- Lazarus Injector --->Electromag 7
- Mining Drone AI upgrade --->Data 7
- Piercing Syringe --->Engineering 6
- Phazon Torso --->Plasma 6 (Enough for BoHs if you have bluespace 7 too)
- DNA syringe --->Engineering 7 with 6 powers (and no disabilites) (comic sans voice IS a disability)
- Slime Power Cell --->Power 6
- Drone Shell --->Bio 5
- Heart/Brain --->Bio 6 (You can just butcher a monkey for both)
- Sentience Potion --->Bio 7
- 'Purge' AI Board ---> Data 6
- Combat Shotguns --->Combat 7
- Prototype --->Engineering 7
- Golden Apple --->Mat 6
- Glowberry/shrooms --->Plasma 7
- Glowcap --->Power 7
- Bluespace Banana/Tomato --->Bluespace 6
- Blood Tomato --->Bio 6
- Death Nettle --->Combat 6
- Gatfruit --->Combat 7 (actually needs to be made by xeno first)
- Ghost Chili --->Magnets 6
- Walking Mushroom --->Data 6
- Ambrosia Gaia --->Bio 7
Remember that with only a bit of silver you can build an autocloner thanks to phasic scanners and a bluespace RPED; if you're a miner reading this guide please deliver the two pieces that you see near the mining dock before leaving to mine!
When getting some high level parts (like anomaly cores) it will bring the tech to the item level (not item level+1) so, if possible, try to get to the item's level first, but it's acceptable to consume an anomaly since it'll usually land you on the max.