Guide to hydroponics
- 1 Basics of Botany
- 2 Stats, reagents and traits
- 3 Plant reference chart
- 4 Chemicals
- 5 Beekeeping
- 6 Advanced Botany
- 7 Other Notes
- 8 Todo list for this guide
- 9 Another guide
Basics of Botany
Hydroponics and the Botanists who work there are important to the station, especially in longer rounds. Botanists grow plants that the Chef can use for food. Without botany, the station will have to live off of beef jerky and space twinkies, or starve to death.
Hydroponics is divided into two rooms. The big section is where you'll spend most of your time growing goods. Trays are available where you grow plants and two vending machines, one with seeds and the other with miscellaneous items such as nutrients and tools for your job. The bio-generator can be used to grind plants and produce things for the station. In tandem is the seed dispenser used to reproduce your product. The northern area is where you can grab most of the equipment needed to work in botany.
Plants require nutrients (fertilizer) and water to grow. They are also bothered by pests and weeds.
Trays come equipped with alerts that flash specific colors to tell you what's happening with your plant.
From left to right -
- Green: Ready to harvest.
- Red: Low health, caused by weeds/pests/toxins/end of lifespan.
- Yellow: Low nutrients.
- Blue: Low water.
Tools that are of use in botany -
- Plant Analyzer: Shows detailed detailed plant statistics. Very useful for growing fragile plants like Ambrosia Deus.
- Cultivator: Kills Weeds.
- Plant Bag: Collects up to 50 items or 100 seeds from your harvest. Useful for moving those into the fridge or biogenerator.
- Wrench: Used to move your trays around.
- Wirecutters: Used to set up the irrigation system. If 30u or more of water is put into trays while the irrigation is set up, water will be shared across trays. This will also distribute things like mutagen and plant killer.
- Hatchet: Chops tower-caps into planks, chops other things. This is also a robust tool that fits in pockets.
- Shovel: Digs up grass floors and cleaning the dirt.
- Spade: Removes and destroys plants in a tray.
- All-In-One Grinder: This is how you extract reagents from plants - throw them in and hit the "grind" button.
- Portable Seed Extractor: This can harvest and pick up plants and turn up to 100 plants into seeds. Less efficient than the machine.
Take some seeds from the vendor and put them into the trays. Now, take a look at the tray with a plant analyzer. For now, you only need to pay attention to the bottom five stats - Water/Nutrition and Weeds/Toxic/Pest levels.
Now, fill a bucket from the water tank and grab fertilizer from the vending machine. You get rid of weeds with the cultivator and remove pests with pest spray. Chemistry can give you better chemicals for this, which will be explained later in the guide.
Some plants have a varied growth times, such as wheat growing faster while watermelons or apple trees take a little longer before you can harvest from them.
Once your tray flashes green, you're set to harvest. If you want to replicate the plant to continue growing more, just insert it into the seed extractor.
The Biogenerator makes items out of the nutriment in plants. As a rule of thumb: More nutriment = more biomass. Watermelons and pumpkins are commonly used due to their 20% nutriment boost trait.
To get biomass, grab a spare bucket and equip the machine with it, then use the plant bag to put fruits inside.
If you somehow run out of fertilizer in the vendors, remember you can print the three standard fertilizers here. Keep in mind that you can craft a whole bunch of useful items from the leather/cloth sheets the biogenerator creates.
This is a little complex, so look at: Advanced Botany
Stats, reagents and traits
Three things determine how your plant will turn out: Their stats, reagents and traits.
Stats determine whether your plants are small and grow slowly, or are big and fast-growing.
Click expand to see what stats do:
- Potency: The most important stat (0 to 100). This affects the amount of chemicals in the plant, though some have additional effects, such as stun length for bananas.
To get the amount of a given chemical in a plant, multiply the reagent in the chart by the potency: for example, 10% nutriment will be 5 nutriment at 50 potency.
- Yield: How much product you get each harvest. Between 0 and 10. Pay attention to this, because if it drops to 0, you won't harvest anything.
- Production Speed: How fast your plant reaches harvest. Between 1 and 10 -- the lower the faster. The plant has to wait (Production Speed) age cycles before each harvest.
- Maturation Speed: Age cycles before the plant can start production. The first harvest will be (Maturation Speed + Production Speed).
- Lifespan: When the age is above lifespan, the plant starts losing health. Between 10 and 100. Only important for plants with the Perennial Growth trait.
- Age: Age of the plant. Only relevant in terms of the lifespan stat.
- Endurance: Max health. Between 10 and 100. Not very useful, unless you leave your garden often.
- Weed growth rate: Determines how quickly weeds grow in the plant tray. Only relevant with very high values.
- Weed vulnerability: The higher, the more easily a plant is overtaken by weeds. Only relevant with very high values.
This determines what chemicals are present in a grown plant - the DNA extractor lets you extract and splice these.
With a bit of creativity, you can mix your own mutagen, produce unique healing chemicals or turn tomatoes into napalm grenades. Solid Chemistry knowledge will help you out immensely.
For a detailed list, check out: Plant reference chart
Traits give your plants unique properties. There are plenty - Perennial Growth for example lets you harvest plants multiple times.
These can be transferred, just like reagents.
Click expand to see a list of traits:
|Bioluminescence||Causes the plant to glow, emitting light equal to 10% of potency. Varieties include Shadow Emission and Red Electrical Glow.|
|Strong Bioluminescence||Causes the plant to glow, emitting light equal to 20% of potency.|
|Bluespace Activity||Gives the plant bluespace properties, making it teleport people hit if the plant has Liquid Contents, and on slip if it has Slippery Skin. Max radius is determined by potency.|
|Capacitive Cell Production||Plants with this trait can be made into batteries with the addition of wire. Electrical Activity increases the cell's maximum charge.|
|Densified Chemicals||Doubles the reagent capacity of the plant. Keep in mind that reagent traits will still add a fixed amount to the plant (this just increases how much can fit in it).|
|Electrical Activity||Gives the plant electrical charge, making it recharge batteries when eaten; it will also electrocute on slip if it also has Slippery Skin and on hit if it has Liquid Contents.|
|Fire Resistance||Makes the seeds and produce fireproof.|
|Fungal Vitality||The plant acquires mushroom-like properties, removing the need for water and greatly reducing damage from lack of light. Minimum yield is always 1 and the tray can't be overtaken by weeds.|
|Gaseous Decomposition||Plants with this trait emit a smoke cloud when squashed, spewing reagents everywhere. Requires Liquid Contents to be useful. Only available through Strange seeds.|
|Hypodermic Prickles||Plants with this trait will sting when thrown (or slipped on with Liquid Contents), transferring a portion of their chemicals to the target.|
|Liquid Contents||Causes the plant to squash when thrown or slipped on (Slippery Skin), applying the reagents inside on the target and destroying the plant.|
|Perennial Growth||Plants with this trait don't die on harvest (and can be harvested multiple times).|
|Slippery Skin||Causes the plant, or any products of the plant, to become slippery. The stun time is (Potency * 0.08), divided by 3 unless the plant has lube or is a banana. Maximum stun is 7 seconds. Triggers Hypodermic Prickes and Liquid Contents when combined with them.|
|Weed Adaptation||The plant acquires weed-like properties, removing the need for nutrients. Plant growth doesn't get slowed by weeds and the tray can't be overtaken by them.|
All you need to know about plants - their reagents, traits and what they can mutate into.
Plant Chart (mouse over the reagents to have a brief effect description)
|Name||Type||Seed||Potting||Product||Reagent Production||Traits||Available from||Mutates into|
|Ambrosia deus||Normal||5% nutriment, 15% omnizine, 15% synaptizine, 10% space drugs, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Ambrosia vulgaris||Ambrosia gaia|
|Ambrosia gaia||Normal||6% nutriment, 5% earthsblood, 5% vitamin||Mutate Ambrosia deus|
|Ambrosia vulgaris||Normal||5% nutriment, 10% bicaridine, 10% kelotane, 15% space drugs, 10% toxin, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Ambrosia deus|
|Apple||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Hard cider||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Gold apple|
|Bamboo||Normal||Harvesting results in bamboo logs. Cut these logs with a hatchet to produce stackable bamboo cuttings. Use the bamboo cuttings in hand to craft a either a punji stick trap (paralyzes and hurts those who step on it) or a blow gun (makeshift syringe gun that takes time to fire and deals stamina and suffocation damage to the user).||Perennial Growth||Mutate Sugarcane, Exotic Seeds Crate|
|Banana||Normal||10% banana juice, 10% potassium, 4% vitamin, 2% nutriment. Fermentation: Banana Honk||Slippery Skin, Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Exotic Seeds Crate||Mimana, Blue-space banana|
|Berry||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Gin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Glow-berry, Poison-berry|
|Blood tomato||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% blood, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Bloody Mary||Liquid Contents, Perennial Growth||Mutate Tomato|
|Blue-space banana||Normal||20% singulo, 10% banana juice, 4% vitamin, 2% nutriment||Slippery Skin, Bluespace Activity, Perennial Growth||Mutate Banana|
|Blue-space tomato||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% singulo, 20% space lube, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Laughter||Slippery Skin, Bluespace Activity, Liquid Contents, Perennial Growth||Mutate Blue tomato|
|Blue cherry||Normal||7% nutriment, 7% sugar||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cherry|
|Blue tomato||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% space lube, 4% vitamin||Slippery Skin, Perennial Growth||Mutate Tomato||Blue-space tomato|
|Blumpkin||Normal||20% ammonia, 10% chlorine, 20% nutriment||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, mutate Pumpkin|
|Cabbage||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Replica pod|
|Cannabis||Normal||15% space drugs, 35% lipolicide||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked)||Rainbow weed, Deathweed, Lifeweed, Omega weed|
|Carpet||Normal||2% nutriment, 5% hydrogen||Perennial Growth||Mutate Grass|
|Carrot||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin, 25% oculine||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Parsnip|
|Chanterelle||Mushroom||10% nutriment||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate, can overtake a tray|
|Cherry||Normal||7% nutriment, 7% sugar||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Blue cherry|
|Cherry Bomb||Normal||10% nutriment, 10% sugar, 70% blackpowder||Perennial Growth||Only available from Xenobiology|
|Chili||Normal||4% nutriment, 25% capsaicin, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Ghost chili, Ice Pepper|
|Cocoa||Normal||10% nutriment, 25% cocoa. Fermentation: Creme de Cacao||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Vanilla|
|Coffee arabica||Normal||10% coffee powder, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Kahlua||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Coffee robusta|
|Coffee robusta||Normal||10% coffee powder, 4% vitamin, 10% ephedrine||Perennial Growth||Mutate Coffee arabica|
|Combustible Lemon||Normal||5% nutriment (can be thrown like an IED)||Perennial Growth||Mutate Lemon|
|Corn||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% corn oil, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Whiskey||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Snapcorn|
|Corpse Flower||Normal||Right before it blooms, it starts producing miasma until harvested. Miasma production only works around normal pressure. Potency determines how high the pressure must be for miasma production to work. 50-60 potency is needed in standard pressure. Yield determines the output rate of the miasma.||Mutate Starthistle|
|Cotton||Normal||None. Can be turned into fabrics by using a loom, buildable with planks.||MegaSeed Servitor||Durathread|
|Death berry||Normal||10% nutriment, 8% coniine, 10% tirizene, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Poison-berry|
|Death nettle||Weed||50% fluorosulphuric acid, 50% sulphuric acid||Perennial Growth, Weed Adaptation, Hypodermic Prickles||Mutate Nettle, weed mutation|
|Deathweed||Normal||35% cyanide, 15% space drugs, 15% lipolicide||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cannabis|
|Destroying angel||Mushroom||10% amatoxin, 4% mushroom hallucinogen, 20% amanitin||Fungal Vitality||Mutate Fly amanita|
|Durathread||Normal||None. Can be turned into durable fabrics by using a loom, buildable with planks.||Mutate Cotton|
|Eggplant||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Egg-plant|
|Egg-plant||Normal||10% nutriment, egg inside. Fermentation: Eggnog||Perennial Growth||Mutate Eggplant, Exotic Seeds Crate|
|Embershroom||Normal||4% tinea luxor, 2% vitamin, 2% space drugs||Fungal Metabolism, Bioluminescence, Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Extradimensional orange||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Triple Sec||Perennial Growth||Mutate Orange|
|Fly amanita||Mushroom||35% amatoxin, 4% mushroom hallucinogen, 10% growth serum||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), Exotic Seeds Crate, can overtake a tray||Destroying angel|
|Fruiting Cactus||Normal||2% vitamin, 2% nutriment, 4% vitrium froth||Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Garlic||Normal||15% garlic juice, 10% nutriment||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Gatfruit||Normal||10% sulfur, 10% carbon, 7% nitrogen, 5% potassium, a goddamn .357 revolver||Perennial Growth||Xenobiology|
|Geranium||Normal||5% nutriment, 20% bicaridine||Mutate Poppy|
|Glow-berry||Normal||10% nutriment, 25% uranium, 20% iodine, 4% vitamin. Luminosity: 20%.||Strong Bioluminescence, Perennial Growth||Mutate Berry|
|Ghost chili||Normal||4% nutriment, 55% capsaicin, 30% condensed capsaicin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Chili|
|Glowshroom||Mushroom||10% radium, 10% phosphorus, 4% nutriment. Glow: 10%||Bioluminescence, Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked)||Glowcap|
|Glowcap||Mushroom||10% teslium. Glow: 10%.||Electrical Activity, Red Electrical Glow, Fungal Vitality||Mutate Glowshroom|
|Gold apple||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% gold, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Apple|
|Grapes||Normal||10% nutriment, 10% sugar, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Wine||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Green grapes|
|Grass||Normal||2% nutriment, 5% hydrogen||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Carpet|
|Green grapes||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% kelotane, 10% sugar, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Cognac||Mutate Grapes|
|Harebell||Weed||4% nutriment. Fermentation: Vermouth||Weed Adaptation||Can overtake a a tray|
|Holymelon||Normal||20% holy water, 4% vitamin, 10% nutriment. Has anti-magic properties when held in hand. Has limited anti-magic charges. Will block 1 spell per 20 potency.||Perennial Growth||Mutate Watermelon|
|Ice Pepper||Normal||2% nutriment, 25% frost oil, 2% vitamin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Chili|
|Inocybe Mushroom||Normal||4% mindbreaker toxin, 8% entropic polypnium, 4% mushroom hallucinogen||Fungal Metabolism, Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Killer tomato||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin, can be awoken. Fermentation: Demon's Blood||Liquid Contents||Mutate Tomato|
|Koibean||Normal||5% nutriment, 10% carpotoxin, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Soybean|
|Kudzu||Weed||2% nutriment, 4% charcoal||Perennial Growth, Weed Adaptation||Mutagen weed mutation||Special, see this.|
|Lemon||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Combustible Lemon|
|Liberty-cap||Mushroom||2% nutriment, 25% mushroom hallucinogen||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), Exotic Seeds Crate, weed mutation|
|Lifeweed||Normal||35% omnizine, 15% space drugs, 15% lipolicide||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cannabis|
|Lily||Normal||5% nutriment, 20% bicaridine||Perennial Growth||Mutate Poppy|
|Lime||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, mutate Orange||Orange|
|Meatwheat||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin. When harvested, you can get "meat" and blood from this.||Mutate Wheat|
|Mimana||Normal||10% nothing, 10% mute toxin, 2% nutriment. Fermentation: Silencer||Slippery Skin, Perennial Growth||Exotic Seeds Crate, Mutate Banana|
|Moonflower||Normal||2% nutriment, 2% vitamin, 20% moonshine. Fermentation: Absinthe||Mutate Sunflower|
|Nettle||Weed||50% sulphuric acid||Perennial Growth, Weed Adaptation||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), Exotic Seeds Crate, can overtake a tray||Death nettle|
|Novaflower||Normal||25% condensed capsaicin, 30% capsaicin, 4% nutriment||Mutate Sunflower|
|Oat||Normal||4% nutrient. Fermentation: Ale||Mutate Wheat|
|Omega weed||Normal||30% space drugs, 30% mindbreaker toxin, 15% mercury, 15% lithium, 15% atropine, 15% haloperidol, 15% methamphetamine, 15% capsaicin, 15% barber's aid, 15% bath salts, 15% itching powder, 15% crank, 15% krokodil, 15% histamine, 15% lipolicide||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cannabis|
|Onion Sprouts||Normal||4% vitamin, 10% nutriment||Red Onion Sprouts|
|Orange||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Triple Sec||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, mutate Lime||Lime|
|Parsnip||Normal||5% vitamin, 5% nutriment||Mutate Carrot|
|Plump helmet||Mushroom||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Manly Dorf||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), Exotic Seeds Crate, can overtake a tray||Walking mushroom|
|Pineapple||Normal||20% nutriment, 4% water, 2% vitamin||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Poison-berry||Normal||10% nutriment, 15% cyanide, 20% tirizene, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Berry||Death berry|
|Poisoned apple||Normal||50% cyanide, 4% vitamin, 1% nutriment||Xenobiology|
|Polypore Mushroom||Normal||6% sugar, 4% ethanol, 6% stabilizing agent, 2% mint. You can craft mushroom bowls from this.||Fungal Metabolism, Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Poppy||Normal||5% nutriment, 20% bicaridine. Fermentation: Vermouth||MegaSeed Servitor||Geranium, Lily|
|Porcini Mushroom||Normal||6% nutriment, 4% vitrium froth, 4% nicotine||Fungal Metabolism, Fire Resistance||Lavaland|
|Potato||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Can be turned into a potato battery by using cable coil on it. Increase potency and add the Electrical Activity trait for higher capacity. Fermentation: Vodka||Capacitive Cell Production||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Sweet Potato|
|Pumpkin||Normal||20% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Blumpkin|
|Rainbow weed||Normal||15% mindbreaker toxin, 35% lipolicide||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cannabis|
|Redbeet||Normal||5% nutriment, 5% vitamin||Densified Chemicals||Mutate Whitebeet|
|Red Onion Sprouts||Normal||4% vitamin, 10% nutriment, 5% tear juice||Mutate Onion Sprouts|
|Rice||Normal||4% nutrient. Fermentation: Sake||MegaSeed Servitor|
|Reishi||Mushroom||35% charcoal, 35% morphine||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor (hacked), can overtake a tray|
|Replica pod||Normal||Special||MegaSeed Servitor, Exotic Seeds Crate, Mutate Cabbage|
|Shadowshroom||Normal||20% radium, 4% nutriment||Shadow Emission, Fungal Metabolism||Mutate Glowshrooms|
|Snapcorn||Normal||10% nutriment, 20% corn oil, 4% vitamin||Mutate Corn|
|Soybean||Normal||5% nutriment, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Koibean|
|Space tobacco||Normal||3% nutriment, 8% nicotine, 5% salbutamol||Mutate Tobacco|
|Starthistle||Weed||None||Can overtake a tray||Corpse Flower|
|Steelcap||Mushroom||None. You can harvest metal rods from this.||Fungal Vitality||Mutate Towercap|
|Strange seeds||Normal||Random, read this. Fermentation: Wine with 10-150 boozepower, and tiny chance of 200.||Random||Hacked vending machine, cargo crates|
|Sugarcane||Normal||25% sugar. Fermentation: Rum||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Bamboo|
|Sunflower||Normal||8% corn oil, 4% nutriment||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Moonflower, Novaflower|
|Sweet Potato||Normal||10% nutriment, 10% sugar, 10% vitamin. Fermentation: Sbiten||Mutate Potato|
|Tea aspera||Normal||10% tea powder, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Tea astra|
|Tea astra||Normal||10% tea powder, 10% synaptizine, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||Mutate Tea aspera|
|Tobacco||Normal||3% nicotine, 3% nutriment. Fermentation: Creme de Menthe||MegaSeed Servitor||Space tobacco|
|Tomato||Normal||10% nutriment, 4% vitamin. Fermentation: Enzyme||Liquid Content, Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Blood, Blue or Killer tomato|
|Towercap||Mushroom||None. You can harvest wood from this.||Fungal Vitality||MegaSeed Servitor, can overtake a tray||Steelcap|
|Vanilla||Normal||25% vanilla, 10% nutriment. Fermentation: Vanilla||Perennial Growth||Mutate Cocoa|
|Walking mushroom||Mushroom||15% nutriment, 5% vitamin||Fungal Vitality||Mutate Plump helmet|
|Watermelon||Normal||20% nutriment, 20% water, 4% vitamin||Perennial Growth||MegaSeed Servitor||Holymelon|
|Wheat||Normal||4% nutriment. Fermentation: Beer||MegaSeed Servitor, Seeds Crate||Oat, Meatwheat|
|Whitebeet||Normal||5% nutriment, 20% sugar, 4% vitamin||MegaSeed Servitor||Redbeet|
A lot of chemicals influence plants - get these from the vending machine, Chemistry or by growing your own!
Click expand to see a list of chemicals:
- Nutriment: A fertilizer that adds 1u of nutrient to the tray and heals plants. You can get it by putting your plants and regular food in the grinder. Heals the plant.
- Ammonia: Similar to nutriment, but also increases yield. Get it from the Chemist or hack the Nutri-Vend to get this.
- Diethylamine: Even better than Ammonia - this adds 2u of nutrient to the tray, increases yield even more, heals the plant AND also kills pests. Get it the same way you get Ammonia.
- Saltpetre: Heals your plant, increases potency and decreases production time. Doesn't add nutrient to the tray.
- Robust Harvest: Increases plant yield by 30% without mutating it. Doesn't work on plants with 0 yield.
- Pest Killer: Kills pests, and adds a small amount of toxicity.
- Weed Killer: Same as above, but for Weeds.
- E-Z-Nutrient: Makes your plant mutate once every time it's ready for harvesting, and has no effect on the yield.
- Left 4 Zed: Makes your plant mutate twice, but the yield will be 1 at best - if the plant's yield is 0, then nothing is produced! You'll have to use another mutagen to harvest the normal yield of the plant.
- Unstable Mutagen: Used to randomly mutate plants - 5u for a chance to change the plant type, 1u/2u to only change stats.
- Radium and Uranium: Also usable for mutation (10u for plant type, 2u/5u for stats), but damages plants and adds toxicity. Radium is more damaging.
- Ash: Heals your plant and kills weeds, but adds only half a unit of nutrient to the tray.
- Charcoal: Makes your plant less toxic. You can get it by whining to anyone who works in Medbay.
- Cryoxadone: Heals your plant, via
miraclesscience. Also lowers toxicity. Don't expect the Chemist to give this to you, but the medbay probably has extra beakers of this.
- Holy water: If you can get the Chaplain's attention and make him bless your water, it will heal your plant a bit.
- Soda Water: Mostly adds water, but also heals the plant and adds nutrient to the tray by a tiny amount.
- Milk: Adds some water and a tiny but of nutrient to the tray.
- Beer: Adds a bit of water and nutrient to the tray, but damages the plant a little.
- Blood: Feeds both your plant and pests.
- Virus Food: Adds nutrient to the tray while damaging the plant.
- Nicotine: Kills pests while adding toxicity.
The bad stuff
- Sugar: Makes pests and weeds grow stronger. Unless you plan to use unstable mutagen to unleash giant spiders or Kudzu upon the station, it's of no use.
- Toxin: Increases toxicity. Good job!
- Plant-B-Gone, Sulphuric Acid, Fluorosulfuric Acid: Damages the plant, adds toxicity and kills weeds. What do you think would happen?
- Fluorine, Chlorine: Same as above, but also drains water.
- Phosphorus: Same as Flourine/Chlorine, but adds nutrients to the tray instead of toxicity. Just use a spade.
- Napalm: Kills weeds, hurts plant and adds toxicity. This is just going downhill. Unless your plant has the fireproof trait, you might as well space the whole tray. On fireproof plants it will just kill weeds.
- Strange Reagent: Is supposed to spawn hostile plant creatures but currently doesn't work.
Bees greatly increase plant yield, potency and the probability of you getting lynched. Great stuff, and very useful even if you're no traitor!
This is where you get to PLAY GOD and mess with the stats, reagents and traits of plants.
Using the DNA manipulator
1. Go to the locker in the back and take out the box of plant data disks.
2. Load a disk into the machine along with any seed of choice.
3. Extract any gene, this will destroy the seed and save it to the disk.
4. Put in another seed.
5. You can now modify the seed's stats and genes based on what's on the plant data disk.
Obviously, this can be quite powerful in the right hands, and even for more basic tasks it can be a major boon.
It is worth noting, however, that the DNA manipulator has an upper limit on how high a stat can be when you try to extract it and save it to disk, and any stats higher than that will be brought down to that cap. Though these caps can be lowered or eliminated if you can get RnD to upgrade your machine, at round-start the caps are very bad, with certain stats like production speed being capped at a level worse than what nearly every plant has initially. Traits, on the other hand, can be extracted just fine no matter what parts are used.
Useful genes from default seeds:
- Wheat has a production speed of 1, the fastest possible.
- Tower-caps have very long lifespans (around 80), as well as potency and endurance stats of 50.
- Tobacco plants have a yield of 10, the cap for that stat.
- Apples have the perennial growth trait, which allows for you to get multiple harvests from a single plant.
- Watermelon has an endurance nearly on par with tower-caps, making it a good substitute when starting out so you can avoid using up all of your starting tower-cap seeds.
You can mutate plants to A) change stats or B) mutate them into a different subspecies. To do this in a timely manner, you'll need to work with the Chemistry department.
- The agonizingly slow way is using E-Z Nutriment to make the plant mutate once every time it's ready to harvest. Left 4 Zed makes it mutate twice, but kills the yield!
- You can speed up the process to bearable levels by asking your local Chemist for a few bottles of Unstable Mutagen.
Pour 5 units on your plant and prepare for...
- 10% chance of mutation into a related species. This destroys the old plant and plants a new one. See the Plant reference chart for information on these mutations.
- 10% chance of the plant losing lots of health instantly. The plant can die because of this
- 15% chance of heavy stat mutation with a 3% chance of a new trait appearing.
- 15% chance of normal stat mutation.
- 20% chance of nothing. You get a message when this happens.
- 10% chance of weeds mutating. If weed level is less than 5, nothing happens, otherwise you get a random, special mutated weed (Kudzu, Deathnettle, Destroying Angel, Liberty Cap).
- 10% chance of pests mutating. Again, if pest level is less than 5, nothing happens. Otherwise, spiderlings are spawned.
- This is bad. If the spiderlings escape, they'll grow big and you'll likely get lynched.
Or, if you don't want to bother with species mutation, pour 2 units for a guaranteed heavy stat mutation with a 3% chance of a new trait appearing, or even 1 for a guaranteed normal stat mutation. This method is safe even if you don't have backup seeds, and you can use a bottle for it.
- You can use radium and uranium, but they cause ill effects, and if you can get radium, you can get mutagen.
- R&D can also research a wonderful thing called a Floral Somatoray. It has two options: increase yield and mutate the plant. In yield more mode, every time you fire it at the plant, there is a chance the yield will increase. The chance becomes very small when you reach high levels, but it's very useful for low-yield plants. It can even raise yield from zero! In mutation mode, it will always induce a normal stat mutation.
Fixing awful stats
Mutating plants has a chance of really ruining stats. Luckily, there are a few ways to fix them:
- Unstable Mutagen. Using 1u slightly changes stats, 2u has more drastic effects.
- Saltpetre. Increases potency and decreases production time.
- Floral Somatoray. Increases yield and works as a substitute for Unstable Mutagen.
Trays, whether empty or occupied by plants, can be occasionally overtaken by a weed if their level is 5 or more. In that case the old plant is destroyed, and a new one will sprout in its place.
Possible plants include:
- 1/6 chance for Reishi/Starshittle.
- 1/9 chance for Nettle/Harebell/Amanita/Chanterelle/Tower Cap/Plump Helmets
Using 5u of unstable mutagen on high weed level trays results in different plants:
- Kudzu, Deathnettle, Destroying Angel, Liberty Cap
Not robust enough to steal a chem dispenser? Try this out.
- First, plant pumpkins and mutate them into blumpkins.
- Now, insert their Chlorine production trait into glowshrooms and remove the Nutriment one.
- That's it! You now have a plant that grows unstable mutagen - just pop the produce into the grinder.
- You might want to add Densified Chemicals from Redbeets as well as Perennial Growth to optimize your harvest.
busy curing the plague too high to help you out?
- Bad idea: Steal a chem dispenser. This will start a blood feud and is one of the biggest reasons why Botanists are hated by some. Think of it as someone stealing all your plant trays.
- Better: Ask Medbay to print you a spare chem dispenser board. After very basic research (Biological Technology), the medical protolathe is able to print chem dispenser boards.
- Or: Grab the spare chem dispenser board from tech storage. The AI, silicons and all members of the Engineering department can let you in.
- For stock parts: Print them from a public autolathe (if such has been built) or ask RnD/Engineering for a part replacer with stock parts. The parts are:
2 matter bins, 1 capacitor, 1 micro-manipulator, 1 power cell, 1 glass sheet.
- For stock parts you can also disassemble a hydroponics tray and a cell charger. A cell can then be found or gotten from disassembling a cyborg recharger.
Composting enough plants that contain Earthsblood (for example Ambrosia Gaia) into a tray will give it a golden shine. Now it will no longer require water, fertilizer or weed/pest removal.
This is great in combination with plants that have the Perennial Growth trait! A lot of Botanists will upgrade their trays before getting started with actual hydroponics.
Upgraded trays permanently contain the last fertilizer you used before the upgrade. Robust Harvest is usually the best choice.
Instead of keeping the original Gaia plant that most likely has gimped stats - insert the Earthsblood production trait into a more robust plant.
If your DNA extractor hasn't been upgraded yet: Wheat has a production speed of 1 and good overall stats. If you're lucky, your station will have 50 potency Wheat bushels just lying around at roundstart.
You can speed up the process by removing all contents but Earthsblood production and adding the Densified Chemicals (Redbeet) trait.
Replica pods can be used to grow dead people back to life - even when their brain and head are missing.
To clone someone, follow these simple steps:
- Take a blood sample from the body using a syringe.
- Inject it into the bag of seeds.
- Plant the seeds.
- Let the plant grow and then harvest it.
- If the ghost of the corpse was present and accepted, the person will be cloned as a Podman.
- If there was no ghost present, the resulting harvest will simply produce a new pack of seeds.
The podmen are a little different from normal humans. E.g. they regenerate in light but suffer in darkness and don't get attacked by bees.
Cabbage can be mutated into Replica Pod.
Strange seeds (from hacked vendors or cargo crates) have completely random reagents and traits.
Notable examples are:
- Gaseous Decomposition
- Microbes (Fungal Tuberculosis)
- Any drink, like Gin Tonic or Beepsky Smash
- Plasmaman Mutation Toxin
- Hell Water
Of course, this is pretty gimmicky and unreliable.
Kudzu is a weed that can appear when adding 5u Unstable Mutagen to a tray with a weed level of 5 or above. The tray version of kudzu will grow normally in its tray. When harvested it will produce kudzu pods. The kudzu pod is like any other fruit/vegetable and can be eaten or grinded. To create wild-spreading kudzu, you must put a kudzu pod into a seed extractor, which will create packs of kudzu seeds. Then activate a kudzu seed in your hand to start planting wild-spreading kudzu on the floor.
Some plant stats will affect the wild-spreading version of kudzu in specific ways:
- Potency of the seed will make kudzu mutate more on spread, the chance to mutate on each new piece is [potency / 10]
- Production will affect how fast the kudzu can spread, usual kudzu spreads at a rate of 20% of the amount of pieces per tick but no more than 30, production changes the cap [30 * production / 50] and the percent of processed pieces per tick [20 * (production / 50)]
Killing the last piece of kudzu will create a kudzu seed in its place with all the ackumulated mutations saved in the seed. So if you reactivate it, the new kudzu on the floor will have all the same mutations the seed had, and will spread it to all its progenitors. You can examine a wild kudzu to see what mutations it has. When mutating it typically changes color.
Kudzu can gain mutations only on spread, here is the list of all of them:
Click expand to see Kudzu traits and mutations:
- CO2 consumption - positive mutation, consumes CO2 from the air
Space covering - positive mutation, makes vines grow vine floors over spaceRemoved as of August 23 2017.
- Light - positive mutation, about 40% of the vines with this mutation emit light slightly more powerful than PDA
- Transparency - positive mutation, makes vines look-through
- Toxins consumption - positive mutation, absorbs plasma from the air
Bluespace vines - minor negative mutation, makes vines be able to grow through anythingRemoved as of August 23 2017.
- Explosive - minor negative mutation, on death vines with this mutation explode with 0,0,2 power, so clusters of this vine will chain-explode one after another
- Fire resistant - minor negative mutation, makes vines ignore fire damage, be it plasma fires or welders
- Vine eating - minor negative mutation, vines with this mutation will eat vines without it
- Toxicity - negative mutation, eating vine with this mutation or walking thought it will cause you toxin damage
- Aggressive spreading - negative mutation, on spreading vines will cause effect of mini-explosion on the tile they spread to, mobs buckled by this vine will also experience effects akin to minor explosion
- O2 consumption - negative mutation, absorbs O2 from the air around
- N2 consumption - negative mutation, absorbs N2 from the air
- Thorns - negative mutation, makes mobs touching or going through vines recieve physical damage
- Hardening - negative mutation, makes vines not die fast from sharp objects, but makes non-sharp objects(hands included) be more effective agaisnt them, on the full maturation block the passage
- Flowering - negative mutation, makes vines very entangly and spawns harmful flowers occasionally, flowers after destruction spawn flower mob that is agressive and attacks
Adding special chemicals to the tray when the seeds are growing will affect the specific kudzu mutations:
- Adding 5u of welding fuel will remove random positive mutation with a 20% probability
- Adding 5u of phenol will remove a random minor negative mutation with a 20% probability
- Adding 5u of sterilizine will remove a random negative mutation with a 20% probability
- Adding 15u of blood will change the production value of the seeds by a random number in the range from -5 to +15
- Adding 5u of amatoxin will change the production value of the seeds by a random number in the range from -15 to +5
- Adding 5u of plasma will change the potency value of the seeds by a random number in the range from -15 to +5
- Adding 10u of holy water will change a potency value of the seeds by a random number in the range from -5 to +15
Sandstone and Soil
If you pick up the grass and use it (click on it in your hand), you will prepare astroturf. Get a crowbar and remove some floor tiles, then place astroturf in their place. In addition to looking nice, it can be used to get some sand. Just dig it with your spade and you'll get two piles. Now, pick up the sand and use it; you will make a sandstone brick. Using three bricks, you can make a soil plot, which is like a tray, except you can walk over it and there are no lights. You can also build a sandstone door with 10 bricks.
Science can build hydroponics trays. They can also upgrade them by replacing the matter bins, and this increases the water and nutrient capacity of the tray.
Wood and Drying Racks
First you need to get some tower-caps, grow them and harvest them. You can then use hatchet (and some other things, but it's not important) on the logs to chop some planks. They have many uses: you can make chairs, tables, wooden floors and so on. A unique thing here is a drying rack. You can use it to dry a plant, and then smoke it. First, build a rack with 10 planks. Then, grab a plant you want to dry and put it in the rack. Click on the rack and toggle drying so that the red arrows light up. Give it a few seconds and it's done.
Note: you can dry any plant, and smoking it will give you all chemicals that were in it. You can smoke dried apples if you want, and get nutriment from them.
You can craft wooden barrels with the crafting menu (under tribal), which requires 30 wood planks . Clicking it will toggle it between open and closed. When open you can insert plants or liquid. When closed you can draw liquid by using a container on it.
Inserting a plant into the barrel will ferment the plant after a few seconds (even if not closing it). This will grind the plant, adding all the plant's contained reagents to the barrel. But it can also add an additional reagent depending on plant used. Most plants will create a special wine with varied boozepower depending on plant used. Some plants will create other reagents than wine, and some plants will not work at all.
Things You Can Make Out of Your Plants
Separated Chemicals + Liquid Contents lets you grow grenades. Glow-berry Uranium + Towercap Iron = EMP. Watermelon Water + Banana Potassium = Boom.Separated chems trait removed january 2019.
- Add some cable to a potato to make a potato battery. Botany cells have potential to be better than bluespace cells.
- Glowberries and glowshrooms, as the name suggests, glow.
- You can carve a pumpkin with a hatchet. Carved pumpkins can be worn and you can toggle them to emit a weak light.
- You can make a cob-pipe out of a corn cob.
- You can carve a carrot with a hatchet to make a shiv. It's not very strong but it's good at slicing things.
- Flowers and ambrosia can be worn on your head.
- Add dried ambrosia, wheat, tea aspera tips or tobacco leaves to a tower cap log to make a torch.
- Dried ambrosia, tobacco or any mutations of those are able to be smoked from wrapping paper, found in smoking vending machines. You can also grind them and put the liquid in an e-cig.
Todo list for this guide
- Add missing/fix outdated entries in the plant reference chart
- Add some icons and pictures to break up the wall of text
Since Botany is relatively easy to learn but hard to master, here is an extra guide that focuses on a more practical, step-by-step point of view. Also includes a lot of extra "recipes" for what you can turn your plants into.
[Click here for that long ass bonus guide.] (its old as hell though, and addition of grey bull helps you not need gloves)