|Access: Medbay, Psychology Office|
Additional Access: N/A
Supervisors: Head of Personnel, Chief Medical Officer
Duties: Advocate sanity, self-esteem, and teamwork in a station staffed with headcases.
Quote: Show me on the moth plush where the clown touched you.
The Psychologist is a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, and a friend to all. Nominally part of service, and physically part of medbay, they are tasked with diffusing disputes and seeing to the psychological well-being of all the crew.
Bare minimum requirements: Talk to any crew seeking your counsel.
Nanotrasen cares deeply about the mental health of its employees, and to this end, they have seen fit to drag an old carpet and couch into a disused broom closet in medbay, even going so far as to hang up a motivational poster. Thus, the Psychology Office was born and qualified individuals sought out to work there.
Your job is primarily to simply talk and listen to any and all who request it, and secondarily to write, sign, and dispense prescriptions (redeemable with the CMO, chemists, doctors, or perhaps even botanists and bartender) and doctor's notes for patients as you see fit.
CBT: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
You begin the round in your office with a black suit or suit skirt, laceup shoes, a clipboard, a medical PDA equipped with a health scanner (useful for detecting cerebral traumas), a headset with both medical and service frequencies, a small selection of pills, and a burning desire to help others. Also in your office; a medical records laptop, carbon paper and a filing cabinet, a couch and chair for therapy sessions, an adorable moff plushie to comfort those who are reliving traumatic events or for "So talk to the plushie as if it was your boss... what do you want to say to them?" exercises, and a straight jacket, muzzle, earmuffs, and blindfold.
You are, make no mistake, essentially useless to the functioning of the station, but don't let that stop you from trying! Here are some ideas on how to best serve the crew:
- Defer to the HoP, CMO, other heads of staff, and security to help diffuse disputes and talk disagreements into soft landings
- Help integrate criminals back into working society.
- Talk to and provide company to sad, angry, confused, traumatized, or bored crew members.
- Collaborate with the lawyers on perceived injustices and abuses and serve as an expert witness in court.
- Keep the rarely utilized medical records up to date and add detailed theories on the sexual orientation of the Captain.
- Conduct totally ethical experiments on how the crew responds to stress and confusion.
As a traitor, you have the small luxury of a somewhat secluded and private room that few other crew members have access to, a cozy relationship with two heads of staff, and a disarming and harmless job ripe for exploiting people's trust and vulnerability.
Basically, buy a hypnoflash and have at it.