|This page is a part of the TGMC wiki.
TGMC is a project based on the CM-SS13 codebase.
|RANGED SUPPORT XENO|
|Difficulty: Hard |
Superior: The Queen and Shrike
Duties: Long range artillery
Guides: no separate guides
Quote: "I'm going to take a big fat one on that marine and FOB."
The Boiler is the long ranged artillery unit of the hive. As the boiler you have the ability to launch globs of acid and nuerotoxin at extreme range. With slow movement speed and health, good positioning is essential to being effective and staying alive.
Playing the Boiler
Welcome to making marines angry for not being able to hit you with their bullets when you fart on their FOB. Since you are a T3 caste, you have to maintain these responsibilities:
- Obscure marines' line of sight with gas when being very, very far away
- Assault their FOB
- Disrupt marines' push with area denial
- Avoid engaging with marines and their rifles
- Slip away from mortar shells, OB, CAS, and railgun
- Ensure xenomorphs' flank, AND YOURS!, are safe
- Open up and tear open marines' flank with your acid on reinforced walls
As the boiler your role is to stay back and bombard marines from range. The best areas to bombard are large and open areas with unobstructed lines of sight. Make sure that you are always with the main force of aliens both on offense and defense as you are extremely weak on your own, and you should try and remain in the back-line and close to weeds for plasma regeneration. However, boilers who can get close to marine fortifications will be rewarded with an opportunity to use the strongest corrosive acid in the game that will quickly destroy any barriers marines throw up.
The bombard ability is the Boiler's primary means of attacking marines and helping the hive. After a short time remaining stationary you gain the ability to fire a single glob of gas at long range. This glob can either be a damaging acid or a stunning neurotoxin. The glob will fly through the air to the point at which you aimed and upon reaching that point explode into a cloud of gas. While digging into the ground and firing you must remain entirely stationary as both have a channel time of a few seconds making you extremely vulnerable. Make sure you are in a safe position before you commit yourself to a shot.
Firing the globs requires a few seconds until it will fire, before you fire make sure that the trajectory from you to the target is completely clear, if the glob hits something in the way it will explode there instead of on the target causing your gasses to not hit their mark. Your globs can hit marines, structures, and even other aliens causing them to miss their target. Globs can also deviate from where you aim and hit something unintended along the way.
- Acid globs are extremely useful, not only can they do damage to a large area of marines, but they also do damage to fortifications and turrets. Hitting a marine directly with the glob will cause a significant amount of extra damage so take your shots carefully.
- Neurotoxin globs are powerful tools for slowing down marines. The gas blinds and deafens marines reducing their combat ability considerably. These effects are powerful but do not last long, make sure you coordinate with the combat castes before you launch a blob.
The Toggle Long Range Sight ability gives the boiler a huge advantage in ranged combat. After a few seconds of remaining stationary you gain extended vision in the direction you are currently looking. Using this in conjunction with bombard is essential to being an effective boiler and will allow you to fire globs at the marines from distances at which most of them will not be able to see you. Lowering the chances of retaliation and increasing your effective range, enhanced vision will be the butter to your bombard bread.
The acid spit ability is a boilers last resort. Shooting a line of acid out that will slip anyone it hits and deal significant damage, the acid spit is your escape tool if marines manage to flank your position and catch you off guard. Its cooldown, charge time, and high plasma cost mean you may only get one shot to knock down the marines and run to safety so make sure you aim carefully.
The corrosive acid ability is the strongest out of any caste. After a short channel time you can slob acid on any object or fortification (specifically reinforced walls) directly next to you; over time this acid will destroy the target depending on how tough it is. While other castes also have this ability, the boiler's acid is the strongest so consider using some of your precious plasma to help open up a flank or clear out an abandoned marine base.
The weaknesses of the Boiler make it a very difficult caste. Your low speed and HP make you extremely vulnerable to flanking and scout specialists. Make sure your position is always secure and free of any marines and never advance before the front line caste has secured the area. Additionally all boilers give off a small amount of light that makes you an easy target for marines with long ranged weapons, do not expect darkness to be your ally.
Maturity Statistics and Evolution Paths
The Boiler is a Tier 3 and cannot evolve further.
Maturity increases stats as follows.
- Slash is the melee damage when the xenomorph is in harm intent and slashing marine. In the code, it's melee_damage.
- Melee, bullet, laser, energy, bomb, bio, rad, fire, and acid are soft armor values, not hard armor, which means that they reduce damage by a percentage rather than a flat value.
Boiler tips & tricks
- As the long ranged caste, Sniper Rifles and other scoped rifles are your natural counter. If sniper fire is making life difficult, ask for a Defender to use their Fortify ability in a position where you can set up directly behind them.
- Your natural x-ray vision is extended when you use your long range sight. This is extremely useful in areas with lots of obstruction like Prison Station and the marine ship. If you're not doing anything else, consider looking in all four directions with your vision to check for any flanks or weak positions.
- Your acid spit has longer reach in your long ranged vision if you aim farther out.
- When you die you spawn a acid glob on your body which immediately explodes.
|TGMC||Command||Captain, Field Commander, Staff Officer, Pilot Officer|
|Engineering and Supply||Chief Ship Engineer, Requisitions Officer, Ship Technician|
|Medical||Chief Medical Officer, Medical Officer|
|Marines||Squad Leader, Squad Smartgunner, Squad Engineer, Squad Corpsman, Squad Marine|
|Civilians||Corporate Liaison, Researcher|
|Tier 1||Drone, Defender, Runner, Sentinel|
|Tier 2||Carrier, Hivelord, Warrior, Hunter, Wraith, Bull, Spitter|
|Tier 3||Praetorian, Crusher, Ravager, Boiler, Defiler|
|Tier 4||Queen, King, Shrike, Hivemind|
|Others||Emergency Response Team, |