Chem grenade severe nerfs

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Chem grenade severe nerfs

Post by Amelius » #117251

Whose brilliant idea was to make chem grenades literally the least powerful item on the station, while taking stupid amounts of time (time during which EVERYONE IN MEDBAY CAN SEE EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING) to create something of zero value? For instance, I made two quick, very basic grenades with 15 fluoro/water, 35 styptic and 35 sulf, and those weren't enough to get me back to get full HP, and even replacing the styptic and sulf for synthflesh in the other two grenades, it didn't function at all, despite slipping myself on purpose. I'm presupposing that the grenades intended for antagonistic usage (e.g. phlog, BP, etc.) are in even worse, defunctional states since I last rolled chemist a few months ago.

All that's left for chem is spamming phlog syringes (OH WAIT, FIRE IS USELESS AND MAGICALLY CURES ITSELF, AND IT ONLY IGNITES ONCE NOW ;)) and syringe gun chems, that kill neither quietly nor quickly and only provides 15 units worth per shot.

Literally useless. The only viable function of chemistry for an antag, at the moment is to make self-healing patches and lube. De-nerf it.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Re: Chem grenade severe nerfs

Post by Shaps-cloud » #117253

uhhhh have you actually tried phlog grenades? Because let me tell you, the fireball that comes from 2 large beakers of phlog mix is really damn dangerous
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #117255

Shaps wrote:uhhhh have you actually tried phlog grenades? Because let me tell you, the fireball that comes from 2 large beakers of phlog mix is really damn dangerous
> Fire.
> Dangerous in any sense.

It autoextinguishes, there's extinguishers stationwide, is severely limited in how many you can produce, and the process of creating phlog is transparent to your co-worker and anyone who saunters into medbay. Furthermore, you aren't immune to being caught on fire either. Damage is minimal, generally speaking.

Also, that doesn't attack the point I made about healing grenades being absolutely useless, or chemistry being vastly UP at the moment.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #117260

Uh as someone who actually has used phlog grenades fairly frequently and has caused quite a lot of deaths with them, I disagree completely about them being useless. The beaker contents are only visible for half a second at most if you're quick with your transfers, and very few people are going to have red flags go off even if they manage to get a quick inspect off and see a beaker with sulph acid and phosphorous in it. As for their lethality, the insane amounts of heat and pressure that phlog grenades put out can turn the entire escape shuttle into a death trap. It might be easy to extinguish and recover from someone splashing alcohol on you and lighting you up, but a fireball is a totally different situation
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #117269

Sorry OP but your favourite job isn't stupidly robust anymore, try having a little combat skill in the future.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #117270

oranges wrote:Sorry OP but your favourite job isn't stupidly robust anymore, try having a little combat skill in the future.
>Toxins can have 6 maxcaps in 10 minutes
>Chem has to spend 4 times as long for a quarter of the death potential

Toxins nerf when?
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #117278

Neurotoxin (the insta-stun drink) is quite easy to get if you ask for Bar access (or just sweet-talk the bartender). Perfluorodecalin is a mute toxin that doesn't rely on Science to make. Combine the two for a ranged paralysis-mute. 100/100 potassium-water creates an explosion big enough to gib, and 300/300 (bluespace beakers) will maxcap, and take about a minute to make if you have the beakers. ClF3 isn't as good as it used to be, but it can still burn through floors; and thermite is an emag that won't get you executed as much. Chemistry is about being creative - saline-glucose smoke grenades for a firefight, water for a literal firefight. Metal foam can seal a breach and hide you from cameras, and is invaluable when attacking an AI core, and if mining comes through, you can even make your own EMP grenades. Traitor poisons are incredibly versatile; you can use them in a syringe gun (with a little neurotoxin/perfluorodecalin as well for maximum effect), poison your medicine, slip a patch on a body to give the MDs trouble defibbing them...

Be creative.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #117280

The two deadliest things there require having the assistance of other departments or the time to go get them yourself.

Toxins can literally walk in at round start and have 6 round enders in 10 minutes, irregardless of what other departments are doing.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #117285

Chemists are more polite mass murderers they usually leave the floor intact. I really don't get nerfing the grenades. As I ham fistedly stated elsewhere there is no reason medical chemicals would be inactive if carried by means other than patches to the skin.