PR#11940 Security Biosuit Sprite/Armour Change

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

PR#11940 Security Biosuit Sprite/Armour Change

Post by Steelpoint » #120423

Minor PR, feedback thread up for reasons.
This change effects two changes on the singular Security Bio Suit in the security equipment room.

Change 1: The sprite for the suit has been changed to resemble a more security themed sprite, and to fit with the next change.

Change 2: The biosuit has had its armour buffed to match the exact same armour values the normal security vest has, barring the increased Biological and Radiation protection.

Values are: melee = 25, bullet = 15, laser = 25, energy = 10, bomb = 25, bio = 100, rad = 20

Do note the suit retains its slowdown.
Link to PR: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11940
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: PR#11940 Security Biosuit Sprite/Armour Change

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #120425

I don't think this is really necessary at all, but it's so minor who cares.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #120426

I kind of like the current sprite because it really just is the security version of a normal biosuit.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #120427

Eh, Sec does not have a use for a biosuit, so I do not really care if it has armor or not.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #120430

RIP security bombsuit

That thing was the sexiest.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #120431

Err, I have not changed the bomb suit, its still there.

The equipment room has a Sec Bio suit and a Bomb suit currently.

I mean, I could combine the two if we want. But otherwise this is a minor change.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #120434

You could do something actually good and fix the bombsuit sprite
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #120436

How is it broken?
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #120441

The biosuit has no use for armor. Just because something belongs to security doesn't mean it needs armor.
People would stop screaming security favoritism at you if you stopped making changes that show obvious bias. Giving security extra armor in literally everything, even a suit that is supposed to just protect against disease, is obvious bias.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #120444

People did not complain much when I did Janitor buffs. Irrespective this is the fact I play security, and make sec changes.

Fortunately up until recently most of my sec changes were limited to minor things such as sprites or mapping changes.

Aside from the Auto Rifle PR this is really among the bare handful of changes that buff security gear. I think if you only count merged PR's this is my third or fourth Security buff I've done, unless you count map changes as buffs.
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #120456

The main point of my post was not about any bias and I probably entertained that notion too much in it.
There is no reason to buff this gear by giving it armor.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #120468

Please just stop

Things are supposed to have proper trade offs. If someone takes the time to throw radiation or diseases around the place they expect security should either be dying or slow and vulnerable.

Like you just keep adding static easy solutions to every problem security encounters. Stuns don't work on some monstery things? Security needs bullets from roundstart so they can instantly solve any problem.
HoS is still getting killed by nuke ops? Toss them a perfect solution from roundstart in fucking rifles.
Security can be beaten to death when wearing a biosuit? (I mean shit when do they even wear biosuits) Then armor their biosuit.
People can bomb into the armory? Needs more r-walls and indestructible shutters.

You have no regard for balance, theme or interesting play in most of your security changes.

EDIT: This is a minor change so I don't give a shit but you need to think about your design choices. Talk to Ergo he's an excellent game designer and understands interesting choices and mechanics over stat values
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #120506

Stickymayhem wrote:Please just stop

Things are supposed to have proper trade offs. If someone takes the time to throw radiation or diseases around the place they expect security should either be dying or slow and vulnerable.

Like you just keep adding static easy solutions to every problem security encounters. Stuns don't work on some monstery things? Security needs bullets from roundstart so they can instantly solve any problem.
HoS is still getting killed by nuke ops? Toss them a perfect solution from roundstart in fucking rifles.
Security can be beaten to death when wearing a biosuit? (I mean shit when do they even wear biosuits) Then armor their biosuit.
People can bomb into the armory? Needs more r-walls and indestructible shutters.

You have no regard for balance, theme or interesting play in most of your security changes.

EDIT: This is a minor change so I don't give a shit but you need to think about your design choices. Talk to Ergo he's an excellent game designer and understands interesting choices and mechanics over stat values
too bad Ergo's shit is all buggy and awful (See: Mining bots, The Most Hated Mining Change Ever (Meson fuckup))
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #120544

I think the mining change was good aside from the mineral bollocks.

Anyway I'll take buggy but varied gameplay over 2d call of duty any day
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #120599

I have proposed this Biosuit change, not because I've seen anyone die to it, in fact I have yet to see anyone wear the thing, but simply to make it a bit more effective for security if they do rarely decide to wear it.

This does not break or ruin anything, its a minor change to a single suit on the station which I think most of security don't even know exists alongside the Bomb suit.

The reason I'm doing it as well is that only I would notice and make a change to the sec biosuit because its a item most people don't know exist.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #120600

I didn't even know security had a biosuit.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #120633

Stickymayhem wrote:I think the mining change was good aside from the mineral bollocks.

Anyway I'll take buggy but varied gameplay over 2d call of duty any day
I'm referring to his meson change, which everyone hated.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #120649

The point people are trying to get across, which you seem to be stubbornly ignoring is that security doesn't need to be effective in literally every SINGLE situation.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #120655

Not sure about having broad armour resistance but a little melee protection would do well against xeno scum.
Stickymayhem wrote:

I presume myself to be the one of the few repeat users of the mining drone and while I love him I have made two bug reports on my snowflake'y little friend so far. Did you know he isn't even a simple robot? Did you know his bugs vary from refusing all healing to letting you attempt 100 or so welds basically what should be 1000 damage healed while incurable burn damage chips your little buddy permanently bit by bit? Did you know that you rub the mining scanner on him to make him poo ore? Cold snowflake on snowflake action man. When people eventually give up and remove him since few people other than I even bother with mining drones anymore I will be sad but not surprised.

Rest of mining is fun and good and the job is popular now but it had to be salvaged heavily by better designers more able to listen to feedback than Ergosavi, for example Paprika.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #120665

Incomptinence wrote:Not sure about having broad armour resistance but a little melee protection would do well against xeno scum.
Stickymayhem wrote:

I presume myself to be the one of the few repeat users of the mining drone and while I love him I have made two bug reports on my snowflake'y little friend so far. Did you know he isn't even a simple robot? Did you know his bugs vary from refusing all healing to letting you attempt 100 or so welds basically what should be 1000 damage healed while incurable burn damage chips your little buddy permanently bit by bit? Did you know that you rub the mining scanner on him to make him poo ore? Cold snowflake on snowflake action man. When people eventually give up and remove him since few people other than I even bother with mining drones anymore I will be sad but not surprised.

Rest of mining is fun and good and the job is popular now but it had to be salvaged heavily by better designers more able to listen to feedback than Ergosavi, for example Paprika.
Paprika wasn't good at game design, they were good at coding.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #120745

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Paprika wasn't good at game design, they were good at coding.
Yeah like when cable/zipties were qdel-ing people.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #120881

Saegrimr wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Paprika wasn't good at game design, they were good at coding.
Yeah like when cable/zipties were qdel-ing people.
That was the best bug /tg/s ever had, shush
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #120886

Hallucination stings deleting people were better - even the lings didn't realise what was going on.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #120896

Key word was not "good", it was "better" you know compared to ergosavi.