Add ability for miners to build mining jetpack into hardsuit

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Add ability for miners to build mining jetpack into hardsuit

Post by Zilenan91 » #121735

Usually most miners will buy at least one of these and it'll just kinda sit in their bags waiting to be used, taking up space. It would be nice if they could just combine them into their hardsuit to save the hassle.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Re: Add ability for miners to build mining jetpack into hard

Post by Xhuis » #121761

On that note, why not remove mining jetpacks altogether and give their hardsuits inbuilt jetpacks? Engineering hardsuits already have the same thing, as do blood-red hardsuits and atmos hardsuits.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #121763

Xhuis wrote:On that note, why not remove mining jetpacks altogether and give their hardsuits inbuilt jetpacks? Engineering hardsuits already have the same thing, as do blood-red hardsuits and atmos hardsuits.
Because jetpacks are a reward for doing well, since they dont actually need the buggers.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #121764

Why not just let the suit storage hold the jetpack? It should work from that spot.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #121767

Gun Hog wrote:Why not just let the suit storage hold the jetpack? It should work from that spot.
You can...

but it needs to be on your back to do anything
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #121779

Bombadil wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:Why not just let the suit storage hold the jetpack? It should work from that spot.
You can...

but it needs to be on your back to do anything

Code: Select all

//Do we have a working jetpack
	if(istype(back, /obj/item/weapon/tank/jetpack) && isturf(loc)) //Second check is so you can't use a jetpack in a mech
		var/obj/item/weapon/tank/jetpack/J = back
		if((movement_dir || J.stabilization_on) && J.allow_thrust(0.01, src))
			return 1
	if(istype(wear_suit, /obj/item/clothing/suit/space/hardsuit) && isturf(loc)) //Second check is so you can't use a jetpack in a mech
		var/obj/item/clothing/suit/space/hardsuit/C = wear_suit
		if(C.jetpack)
			if((movement_dir || C.jetpack.stabilization_on) && C.jetpack.allow_thrust(0.01, src))
				return 1
Poor code if you ask me. Anyway, you could have a check for the jetpack in suit storage as well. Or simply let the miner slap the jetpack into the suit to give it an internal one. Requires no change in jetpack code that way.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #121786

Miners don't need jetpacks, the asteroid has gravity.

So no to all.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #121799

Scott wrote:Miners don't need jetpacks, the asteroid has gravity.

So no to all.
You do realize we could take the asteroids gravity away right?

Also you can use the jetpack to go around the edge of the asteroid and look for minerals. Used to be really good
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #121800

Bombadil wrote:

So no to all.

Also you can use the jetpack to go around the edge of the asteroid and look for minerals. Used to be really good
Exactly for what purpose would you remove gravity from the asteroid, genius?
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #121813

Scott wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

So no to all.

Exactly for what purpose would you remove gravity from the asteroid, genius?
HARDMODE
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #121817

So no to all.
"I don't actually play miner but I hate the idea of anyone actually enjoying themselves so I don't want any of this."

That's the subtext I see in your post. If you did play miner you'd know the really good selection requires either a walk in zero gravity or essentially mining out the entire asteroid.

EDIT: Actually I just had a thought, anyone on a really slow connection that is more or less stuck playing roles like this has a really hard time killing the wildlife on the asteroid. So it's either EVA or the severe risk of being put out of the round because everyone forgets you exist and doesn't think to look for you if you die.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #121819

I think the built-in jetpack thing is fucking stupid for everybody.

At least the "put it in suit storage" is a good idea. I vaguely remember the Void jetpacks being able to fit there, at least on the Void suit maybe.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #121874

Saegrimr wrote:I think the built-in jetpack thing is fucking stupid for everybody.

At least the "put it in suit storage" is a good idea. I vaguely remember the Void jetpacks being able to fit there, at least on the Void suit maybe.

The jetpacks fit in your suit storage, but if you put that there, there's no more space for your oxygen tank except just awkwardly fumbling with it in your hands, and if you get stunned or drop it you're fucked. Also, if I'm not wrong, I think there is a bug that jetpacks in the suit storage slot don't actually work, they need to be on your back or else you just float regularly in space with jetpack particles behind you doing nothing. It might have been fixed.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121877

jetpacks not working when put in suit storage was removed because it was considered to be a bug, the reasoning being the drawback to jetpacks was the sacrifice of the back slot
now that we have inbuilt jetpacks anyways this point is kinda moot
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #121880

Basically yeah, but having to hold your oxygen tank in your hands is NOT a worthy trade off to holding it in your suit, if you drop it, you're dead kiddo.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #121882

Well, you could put it in your pocket and keep the mining satchel in your bag, and just leave the backpack window open for easy access to said satchel. That way you could keep the jetpack in your exosuit, your pick on your belt slot, your oxygen in one pocket, and your mining scanner in the other.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #121886

Zilenan91 wrote:Basically yeah, but having to hold your oxygen tank in your hands is NOT a worthy trade off to holding it in your suit, if you drop it, you're dead kiddo.
Pocket for emergency tanks (which last fucking forever anyway) and belt slot for larger tanks. If you have an important belt of some kind, they all fit in your backpack as well for the time being.

It's more about the option to do so than forcing everybody to use the suit storage.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #121894

I don't know if emergency oxygen tanks fit in pockets anymore, but I know they fit in the belt slot. Either way, as a miner, you're probably gonna have your pickaxe on your belt so that's out of the question, and if they're in your backpack, I don't know if they're still connected to your internals.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #121900

Emergency oxygen tanks still fit in pockets, it's just the blue ones don't really last long enough for a decent mining round. Although actually miners probably get yellow ones? I dunno it's been a long time since I checked a miner's internal box.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #121902

I don't think miners get yellow ones
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #121904

Yes, they get yellows.