MAP ROTATION

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Re: MAP ROTATION

Post by ThanatosRa » #122723

Bottom post of the previous page:

Keep this in if only to spite them.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #122724

People are like lemmings and mass suicides are a meme that will not last
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #122729

If you suicide and demand swarmers or other ghost stuff, expect admins to laugh at you. You decided to suicide. Deal with your boredom.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #122738

Oldman Robustin wrote:snip
Saegrimr wrote:

Also how do you know they didn't suicide just so they could get their antag roll then ghost around and learn the map instead of protesting about it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #122748

Every "major gamebreaking fault" that I have seen Metastation is some stupid detail (that may or may not effect how you play).

Its a perfectly fine map, grow up.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #122759

70 players on Ministation with Rev/10

I like seeing the different maps, it takes some time but you can relearn them. A change of scenery is nice, and provides more challenge when I don't know where everything is right at round start.

Also no, after a mass suicide at the HoP line I will not spawn swarmers because the round is dull. You decided to quit the round, I'm not going to just let you back in because, surprise, your bored.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #122760

I like it.
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #122763

im not used to this layout of ministation the one we have at d20 is so difrent
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #122810

Oldman Robustin wrote:Only thing that's beyond question here is the ability of the average player to have competent knowledge of several maps. I research maps more than 99% of the players here and I still doubt my ability to become map competent on more than 3-4 maps.

First round of map rotation:

http://imgur.com/tCjREQ7

20% of the crew suicides off the bat. This is not a healthy round and doesn't enhance the game. Many veteran players do not want Dora the Explorer rounds and treat non-Box rounds about as seriously as you treat Meteor rounds.

Edit: Deadchat started mass chanting for swarmers so that we could destroy this abomination of a map.

Edit 2: 40 people in dead chat now, most of their own free will.
Yeah, and the round after when we played box, 15% of the crew gibbed themself in the HOP line at roundstart, too, including half of the sec team.

Airtank HOPline mass-suicides are a meme at the moment, especially when the first thing in every single round is

[Common] Oldman Robustin yells, "MASS SUICIDE AT HOP LINE EVERYONE COME EXPLODE"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #122811

>Actively tries to start mass suicides
>Makes a complaint about it

Dude fucking what.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #122836

you should probably add a lobby message about the new map rotation thing because the preference is hidden in "game preferences" and you can only set it before joining, since it's not in the "preferences" tab
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #122856

If we don't end up with a dedicated box station, then I'm moving on. I don't see why we keep a dedicated meta server around when no one plays on it.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #122857

Map rotation for basil when
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #122859

We don't need dedicated servers for any map.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #122864

Non-0.5x vote weighting for Box when? Getting real sick of this shit.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #122866

Amelius wrote:Non-0.5x vote weighting for Box when? Getting real sick of this shit.
Hey other people are actually really enjoying not playing box all the time.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #122872

Oldman Robustin wrote: 20% of the crew suicides off the bat. This is not a healthy round and doesn't enhance the game. Many veteran players do not want Dora the Explorer rounds and treat non-Box rounds about as seriously as you treat Meteor rounds.
I guess all I can say is that those 20% of the crew are fucking stupid and could have just, you know, opened up a map our God forbid, explore and taken in some of the new sights. Immediately killing yourself and taking yourself out of the round permanently just because "waaah I don't know this map layout by heat yet" is just being a huge baby.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #122873

Jacough wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote: 20% of the crew suicides off the bat. This is not a healthy round and doesn't enhance the game. Many veteran players do not want Dora the Explorer rounds and treat non-Box rounds about as seriously as you treat Meteor rounds.
I guess all I can say is that those 20% of the crew are fucking stupid and could have just, you know, opened up a map our God forbid, explore and taken in some of the new sights. Immediately killing yourself and taking yourself out of the round permanently just because "waaah I don't know this map layout by heat yet" is just being a huge baby.
[youtube]LHpdgHTINik[/youtube]
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #123020

Tornadium wrote:>Actively tries to start mass suicides
>Makes a complaint about it

Dude fucking what.
This is some next level memery here

Whats up with the map vote weightings? why not just let the popular maps win?
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #123039

Git gud, just because you're a one trick pony that only plays on Boxstation doesn't mean others aren't.

I can powergame in over 300 different ways, and that's only on ministation.

Looks like you need to step your game up.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #123046

map weights was changed for the first round only, to get it to actually rotate to something.

other then that, all maps have had a map weight of 1, outside of ministation, who had 0.5
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #123047

pls mso i want birdboatstation to make bagil rounds more bearable
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #123054

J_Madison wrote:Git gud, just because you're a one trick pony that only plays on Boxstation doesn't mean others aren't.

I can powergame in over 300 different ways, and that's only on ministation.

Looks like you need to step your game up.
what the literal fuck are you chinwagging about you unrobust dirtback. back to your wheelstation.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #123058

can we please add efficienty station too?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #123105

MrStonedOne wrote:map weights was changed for the first round only, to get it to actually rotate to something.

other then that, all maps have had a map weight of 1, outside of ministation, who had 0.5
So what amelius has been sperging all over OOC and the forums was completely wrong?

Cuck.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #123549

When can we expect to see this fully implemented on Sybil?
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #123563

It feels about right at the moment.

Seeing plenty of Dream Station, Meta and Ministation (On 90 fucking pop for some reason) but it's on box often enough for it to be the "main" map.

Seriously though 90 man ministation is FINAL DESTINATION for security. I'm going to have nightmares about that 50 man greytide assaulting the brig.
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #123571

to be fair i have not been in game much the last few days so i dont have much idea of the map rates.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #123609

Asking again because I never got answered, when will we get this on basil? Will we ever? I wana try birdboatstation
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #123771

If I can ask, what was wrong with the test outside of some maps not compiling? It seemed mostly working and ready to merge as it was.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #123775

There are a few bugs that remain to be fixed, but don't panic, this is basically locked in
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #123776

oranges wrote:There are a few bugs that remain to be fixed, but don't panic, this is basically locked in

will you at least turn the other server into 24/7 box so I won't have to hang myself whenever meta gets picked.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #123777

Oh yeah I have full confidence this will get merged eventually, I was just wondering what the bugs were.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #123920

I think the problem is with the maps not the map rotation system itself. Missing tiles, pipes etc.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #123923

I'll say it again: The difficulty of maintaining maps scales exponentially with the number of maps to maintain.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #124058

Everything I've seen in map rotations exhibits the problems I mentioned.

Nobody knows where anything is and every round just feels like a chaotic free for all since a random bluespace anomaly is more likely to show up and save your life than security.

Do you really think any number of rounds is going to give the average crew member competence on every map on rotation?

When I yell "HELP CULT SMES" or "ENEMY DOMINATOR PLACED IN SMES" or plain old-fashioned "BEING MURDERED IN SMES ROOM", take a look at Dreamstation and tell me that you honestly believe that the average security officer will ever know how to find that room.

Of course the first two examples are less likely since I found that rallying team antags is equally shit since everyone just gets lost trying to find you.

The new map novelty is going to wear off far sooner than sub-par round experiences because of crew+map incompetence.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #124063

You know, maybe players should get good by actually learning maps? You've stagnated and played box to the point of it being a routine. Try something new, try figuring out the map, enjoy the new weakspots and secrets etc. There's more content to explore now than ever before.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #124154

Rounds don't progress when servers are completely empty, and restart votes never seem to trigger the map rotation. The net effect here is that if a server ends up empty with an unpopular map it can remain abandoned for a long time.

LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #124164

All I can contribute to this is that we tried map rotation before in the gateway era and it was a colossal failure. I don't think we need to try it again. Sounds great on paper, but in reality, people have preferences and map rotation only makes a small but loud minority whine that their favourite map was not selected - at every single round start.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Absalom
Byond Username: Absalom526

Post by Absalom » #124263

Just had a rev "round" with 30+ people on ministation.

Yeah it didn't last long
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #124264

Absalom wrote:Just had a rev "round" with 30+ people on ministation.

Yeah it didn't last long
Sec must have been shit.

They did pretty damn well vs a 40 man gray tide wave that one round.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #124266

We had a Nuke Op round where three of the Ops could not find the station.

Amusingly this was because the Op Ship lied on their location, meaning they went the wrong way due to the ship telling them they were in the wrong place.

Also it seemed hard for the remaining Ops, or station personal, to coordinate due to them not knowing the layout.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #124268

Steelpoint wrote:We had a Nuke Op round where three of the Ops could not find the station.

Amusingly this was because the Op Ship lied on their location, meaning they went the wrong way due to the ship telling them they were in the wrong place.

Also it seemed hard for the remaining Ops, or station personal, to coordinate due to them not knowing the layout.
These sound like teething problems and not problems with the concept of a map rotation.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #124295

Did those nuke ops not have a fucking pinpointer.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #124299

Tornadium wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:We had a Nuke Op round where three of the Ops could not find the station.

These sound like teething problems and not problems with the concept of a map rotation.
Again, Ops make fundamental mistakes on BOX and they're one of the oldest gametypes and their basic mechanics haven't changed in half a decade.

Map rotation only aggravates the problem.

Sure some things will get better but you'll see a disparity develop as powergaymen crew learn all the secrets and have a stun baton, grenade, pneumatic cannon, and all sorts of goodies after 2 minutes in maint while the security tasked with stopping them can't even find major departments.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #124310

Can we get birdboatstation into the rotation for basil?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #124349

Anyway to make it so if an admin hits random rotation button it won't select the same map?
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #124429

Not at the moment, The rotation system has no way of linking the current map to its internal map list.

I might change this by giving maps a new define listing the name of the loader file, since the name of the dm map loader file is how the rotation system internally identifies maps.
NSFW:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #124478

Dreamstation is kind of a clusterfuck. I'd remove it from rotation. Ideally, the choices should be Box, Meta, and a third choice that gets cycled out every few weeks. Ministation and Birdboatstation should only be available for low population rounds.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #124545

The current map vote config (taken from sybil, basil's is mostly the same with the default set to metastation)

Code: Select all

map tgstation2
	friendlyname Box Station
endmap

map metastation
	friendlyname Meta Station
endmap

map ministation
	friendlyname Mini Station
	maxplayers 20
	voteweight 0.5
endmap

map birdstation
	friendlyname Bird Boat Station
	maxplayers 30
endmap

map dreamstation
	friendlyname Dream Station
endmap

map DiscStation
	friendlyname Disc Station
	voteweight 0
endmap
A map must have at least 1 vote to count for random rotation.
NSFW:
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #125188

There's kind of a problem with choosing a low pop map as your preferential, because it means that for any round above the player threshold (which on sybil can be most of them) you're effectively wasting your vote. As a side effect I think most people won't pick a low pop map as their preferential, which would mean that even at low pop, it'd probably stay on maps more suited for high pop.

An option for a fallback choice might be a decent idea.