detective has telebaton why

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

detective has telebaton why

Post by Atticat » #136157

:o :o :o :o why does Mr.loosecannon have a department head weapon?

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: detective has telebaton why

Post by Zilenan91 » #136158

Because he can get a stun baton from sec round start anyways.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Atticat

Post by Atticat » #136159

telebaton > stunbaton though

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #136160

Nope. Since if they're smoking cigarettes or have any kind of stun resist they can just walk out of it. You also can't kill people as easily via chainstunning since you have to have perfect micro.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Atticat

Post by Atticat » #136161

That's debatable. Telebatons have infinite charge. That counts for something

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #136162

Not if the infinite charges mean functionally nothing if someone smoking cigarettes can just walk out of it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #136163

You forgot to mention that it's literally impossible to keep two people down with it, since the cooldown is on the baton, rather than on the person.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #136164

I wouldn't mind if the telebaton was buffed tbh, it's kinda shit.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #136167

Zilenan91 wrote:I wouldn't mind if the telebaton was buffed tbh, it's kinda shit.
I need to put everything you say in a quotebook because holy shit you are hilarious.
I play Boris Pepper.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #136168

In comparison to a stun baton, why would I ever take a telebaton.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #136169

in case you uh... get emp'd like, 10 times in a row? I uuno.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #136170

Zilenan91 wrote:In comparison to a stun baton, why would I ever take a telebaton.
Telebatons can fit in pockets
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #136171

Same reason why dets don't have tasers or even cuffs until I gave him a pair.

Because it's a thematic thing. Think less "police detective" and more "noir private investigator"

The detective has always been more about style than function.

He probably only got a telebaton to replace his flash for the go-to stun weapon.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #136172

I feel like this was spawned from someone getting dunked by a detective with a telebaton
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #136173

Don't fuck with detectives, we dont give a shit about anything but solving the case
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Atticat

Post by Atticat » #136175

Ikarrus wrote:Same reason why dets don't have tasers or even cuffs until I gave him a pair.

Because it's a thematic thing. Think less "police detective" and more "noir private investigator"

He probably only got a telebaton to replace his flash for the go-to stun weapon.
That's pretty cool; I agree overall. I think detective having his own custom stun weapon would be the most ideal outcome, because it's current kinda weird that he randomly has this item only heads have. It could be similar to how his revolver is unique. Maybe he could have a whip? I don't know what is something a detective would normally use in close combat?

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #136178

A telebaton.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #136179

A gun
Atticat

Post by Atticat » #136181

allow detective to butt with gun? that'd be pretty cool

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #136182

I wouldn't mind giving the detective dedicated lethal ammo. Every other server does it afaik and they have no problems.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #136187

Atticat wrote:
Ikarrus wrote:Same reason why dets don't have tasers or even cuffs until I gave him a pair.

That's pretty cool; I agree overall. I think detective having his own custom stun weapon would be the most ideal outcome, because it's current kinda weird that he randomly has this item only heads have. It could be similar to how his revolver is unique. Maybe he could have a whip? I don't know what is something a detective would normally use in close combat?
brass knuckles
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136195

He has the baton so he can shoot you less and not kill your whining dumb dumb dumb arse.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #136214

While I agree with this, the det revolver is far from 'style over function'.
It's unquestionably the most powerful weapon on station, barring perhaps xray lasers, if you have xray to go with it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #136216

The Detective's Revolver is so powerful not due to intention but due to the game changing to a degree that while other weapons were overtly or subtly nerfed the Det's Revolver remained mostly untouched and thus is now one of the most powerful station based weapons.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #136220

Make the dets revolver lethal only Y/Y?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #136222

Detective's revolver is great if you have supplies to back it up and cuffs and all that, but if you go around emptying entire cylinders into people to kill them, you're gonna run out of ammo very fast.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #136223

No one has corrected ikk on how the detectives office always starts with a pair of cuffs.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #136225

DrPillzRedux wrote:No one has corrected ikk on how the detectives office always starts with a pair of cuffs.
yeah he knows, he's the one that made him start with them
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #136235

Zilenan91 wrote:Make the dets revolver lethal only Y/Y?
Now we're getting somewhere.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136237

Make the det's revolver tatorclass. Make the telebaton a chainsword that deals esord damage. Replace cuffs with pocket gibber. Replace det scanner with RPG.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #136238

But no seriously if the dets revolver was basically a steelpistol that would be amazing. The wood stock one really fits the aesthetic.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #136257

As a detective your job is to direct the red tide at individuals whose dna/fingerprints you found at the scene of a crime. You shouldn't go around stunning and arresting people unless there are no officers.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #136258

Detective's revolver power is very situational. It is only good if your target is affected by stamina damage and stuns. If they're not, it's weaker than almost any other ballistic in terms of damage (beanbag is slightly weaker or on par, I'm pretty sure).

It's a very good gun for what it does, but saying it's unquestionably the best? Eh...like all weapons, its advantages are situational. It's also got the disadvantage of being lethal enough to annoy the AI, but not lethal enough to kill someone in one clip.

As to why the detective has a telebaton? Because when I've shot someone 6 times in the face, it's nice to be able to run up and kill them without wasting more bullets. Yes, in a perfect world I could just tell security and have them beat the victim criminal to a pulp, but the reality is that security are often overworked, ignore you, leave you alone, are absent, get dunked, or you yourself just plain get attacked by one and need to defend yourself.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #136261

The Detective's Revolver is not a powerful weapon because its very lethal or something akin, its powerful because its the most reliable firearm on the station at round start.

The Revolver will reliably hit any target fired on and stun them, from lowly Assistants to Traitors wielding energy swords or Nuclear Operatives using Energy Shields, barring a horrible set of rng rolls a few bullets will bring any opponent to their knees. Couple that with a reliable way to reload the weapon in the field and you have a recipe for the best weapon on station.

True, the weapon lacks some of the versatility the HoS Egun has, or the straight damaging power of a Laser weapon, but I would trade my HoS Egun for the Detective's Revolver if offered it. (I rarely do take the revolver as even if there's no Detective I just leave it after nabbing the scanner).
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #136274

telebaton is objectively shit anyway
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #136278

Detective should have a blackjack or a sap, or as Crag said, brass knuckles. Much more hard-boiled.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #136284

Brass Knuckles please. When i am detective solosec on basil i usually punish moderate crimes by beating the shit out of criminals and disposaling them anyways
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #136297

>15 damage
>3 sec stun
>50 stam damage

It's 90 damage per mag, and even 1 shot will slow anyone to a crawl - after the stun wears off. 2 shots forces a longer stun because of stam.
It works against e-swords and shields, ignres ablaitive, can't be emp'd, canbe instantly reloaded.

It really, really is the best gun. It's other guns that are situationally better (laser vs xenos, ion vs borgs etc).
The detective's revolver is the most reliable, and generally useful an powerful gun on station.
Atticat

Post by Atticat » #136310

shut this thread down

Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #136319

EndgamerAzari wrote:Detective should have a blackjack or a sap, or as Crag said, brass knuckles. Much more hard-boiled.
I dunno, I think the telebaton fits the longcoat theme, Watchdogs style
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #136484

EndgamerAzari wrote:Detective should have a blackjack or a sap, or as Crag said, brass knuckles. Much more hard-boiled.
Yes.
Blackjack please.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #136568

You all realise that the telebatons were a shite weapon given to heads to make their underlings respect ther authoritare because SoS wouldn't let them have proper side arms and to replace their nerfed flashes, right?
So its not a head weapons, its just something they have.

Anyway, replace it with brass knuckles or a sap
They nicknamed them Beavertails.
Atticat

Post by Atticat » #136578

I argue they are indeed head weapons regardless of shite status. They were given specifically to heads for a specific goal of enforcing authority over underlings, as you said yourself.

Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #136580

They're not runefangs or something, it makes total sense for a detective to have a collapsible baton. They're used by real world police and security forces for defence all the time, they're small, they're practical, and they fit the theme.

I mean go ahead, code saps or brass knuckles (although those are a bit weirder, because really how are they being disarmed and if they can't be then that just seems like powercreep) but let's not pretend the ideas of already quite forceful detectives and telebatons are somehow exclusive.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #136585

Cheimon wrote:They're not runefangs or something, it makes total sense for a detective to have a collapsible baton. They're used by real world police and security horses for defence all the time, they're small, they're practical, and they fit the theme.

I mean go ahead, code saps or brass knuckles (although those are a bit weirder, because really how are they being disarmed and if they can't be then that just seems like powercreep) but let's not pretend the ideas of already quite forceful detectives and telebatons are somehow exclusive.
runefangs for heads of staff when
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #136593

Remember when we had the idea of replacing/supplimenting head stamps with signet rings? That would also let you wear them and punch people to stamp your sign into their face?
This really should have been made.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #137212

Give Detectives Deagles when?