Mining balancing feedback thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Mining balancing feedback thread

Post by bandit » #134759

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/13102

feedback goes here

suggestions for new gear also go here
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Mining balancing feedback thread

Post by Gun Hog » #134770

Could KA upgrades or auto-scanning mesons be provided by Science for a lesser price than the top-line gear; Perhaps costing no more than silver or gold (both of which can be found on the station in small amounts)? It could work as something for mid-round miners or such.
bandit

Post by bandit » #134775

sure, I can add that, I just don't ever play R&D (I just mine) so I'd need suggestions as to amounts

admin feedback pls
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #134911

- SS13 is a plasma research and supply station; retrieving plasma for mucho points is thematically appropriate.
- It is also thematically appropriate to have gold be more valuable than silver, something like 21-16.
- Random ores make mining a crapshoot for the unlucky.
- I was rather hoping to see rebalanced PKA upgrading, rather than just another PKA at the far end of the points line.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #134913

I wouldn't mind if we could insert Bluespace crystals from mining into our KAs to upgrade them instead. Those things are really damn rare, to be honest. I haven't seen one in a really long time.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #134938

Plasma only exists in this pocket of space - just because it's common here doesn't mean it's not astronomically more valuable then shit that is common in the grand scheme of things, like gold and diamond.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #135040

i love it
bandit

Post by bandit » #136085

bump, note I added a lot more changes including MECH MESONS

admin feedback pls
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #136269

>kinetic accelerator upgrades
God bless
bandit

Post by bandit » #136584

This is in the game now, bitching goes here

admin feedback pls
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #136594

Didn't we remove super powered KA's precisely because they were ludicrously good and let you basically delete the entire asteroid in 30 minutes?
Also combining this with the already brokenly overpowered ore machine, ayyy.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #136612

hah, yeah i remember old KAs, screwdriver three times and drop in some plasma sheets and badaboom, endgame-tier mining tool
this seems way more gated behind mining points though, and before you say "le upgraded ore machine," if you can actually get mining and science to cooperate early enough into the round that it's not considered the endgame, maybe you deserve your super powerful mining tool
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #136637

Kinetic accelerator is a little railgunesque massdrivery slingshotty thing right? Maybe it can fire special ammo pips instead of dirt as an alternative to permanent upgrades. Diamond needles that pierce through people or embed anyone?
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #136833

Why are these upgrades even needed? Last i checked, Mining was super easy and R&D required VERY little ore to get to the endgame stuff. That was before Goofball added those crazy T4 parts, which made R&D require even less.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #137156

Alex Crimson wrote:Why are these upgrades even needed? Last i checked, Mining was super easy and R&D required VERY little ore to get to the endgame stuff. That was before Goofball added those crazy T4 parts, which made R&D require even less.
Because R&D gets cool stuff and then mining gets stuff that helps them mine better, but then mining doesn't need to mine for anything because R&D already has everything they need.
bandit

Post by bandit » #137172

Increasing required mats is probably going to cause way more drama than it's worth (especially because I don't play R&D, I only mine), but more shit that uses mats in general is always cool. I just have no fucking clue what they'd even be.

admin feedback pls
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #137173

Increasing the tech requirements for a particular item will make the RDs cry tears of bitter despair.
Increasing the material requirements (e.g. from 200 to 400 diamond) would be okay.
Increasing the different types of materials required (e.g. from gold to gold and uranium) would... also be okay, I guess.

Typically, it goes like this:
R&D does low-level research (T2).
Mining returns with a few minerals.
R&D does mid-level research (T3) and upgrades the ore machine, then collects the minerals.
Mining returns with enough minerals to last a while, multiplied by three because of the ore machine.
Mining waits around for a little while, then gets upgraded equipment (diamond drill, NVMesons).
R&D does high-level research (T4+) and upgrades the ore machine again.
Mining returns with enough minerals to last the rest of the shift, multiplied by four.
R&D makes sonic jackhammers, bags of holding, laser cannons, SABRs, et cetera.

When the ore machine is upgraded to T3, even an early load of minerals will last quite a while (unless you're giving out BoHs and laser cannons).
When the ore machine is upgraded to T4 and Mining brings back an average load, R&D and Robotics are set for the whole shift.
When the ore machine is upgraded to T4 and Mining brings back a big load (with endgame equipment like NVMesons/jackhammer/satchel of holding), you can diamond-plate the Cargo Bay and still have stacks to spare.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #137188

There really needs to be an incentive for other departments to want mining materials. Chemists and bartenders will usually want a little bit of uranium and/or plasma for their concoctions but none of the other departments really have a need or desire for materials.
You could let engineering use a portion of materials to upgrade some of their equipment's hardware better, like plasma sheets in APCs to make them more EMP-resistant or Uranium to make a machine more power efficient. For another example, Sec could use diamond to harden their glass windows or Uranium to create a more torturous execution chamber Escape deterrent.

Hell, you could make a glass/plasma alloy to make fire-resistant glass or glass/uranium to make radiation resistant glass if you really wanted, throw the other departments a bone basically and constructions with unique properties might give engineers something to do in those long rounds.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #137215

Gold capped reception coils for the tesla engine.

Tesla is totally happening guys, I hope.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #137218

Anonmare wrote:There really needs to be an incentive for other departments to want mining materials. Chemists and bartenders will usually want a little bit of uranium and/or plasma for their concoctions but none of the other departments really have a need or desire for materials.
You could let engineering use a portion of materials to upgrade some of their equipment's hardware better, like plasma sheets in APCs to make them more EMP-resistant or Uranium to make a machine more power efficient. For another example, Sec could use diamond to harden their glass windows or Uranium to create a more torturous execution chamber Escape deterrent.

Hell, you could make a glass/plasma alloy to make fire-resistant glass or glass/uranium to make radiation resistant glass if you really wanted, throw the other departments a bone basically and constructions with unique properties might give engineers something to do in those long rounds.
The only change here I find worth supporting. So much of the feedback is just cries of "NERF!". Plasma glass actually was a thing in NTstation for a bit, and was literally the first PR to that codebranch.

Other departments having desire for turning their areas into SWAG for gameplay reasons could be interesting, things that have gameplay benefits.

I fear that this will result in resource fights between departments, as each major one will try to soak up everything the ORE machine has (This is /tg/ community, no one here knows how to share or even accept gifts!), leaving everyone else high and dry. That is not such a horrible state, though...I would rather have this situation than an arbitrary hardmode conversion others may be considering. Conflict is the fuel of the game, after all. It does not have to only come from antagonists!

EDIT: Science could benefit from an easy way of sharing things with people. NV Mesons and Exp welding tools for Engineers, guns for Sec, the mop and scrubber items for the Janitor, the plant gun for Botanists, etc. So much potential is lost on a lack of sufficient communication and laziness!
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #137221

If resource distribution becomes a thing, silver tiles should totally limit infection spread.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #137245

Ehh, perhaps making departments require more minerals is a bad thing. I once spent 30 minutes mining as a miner, and the second I got back a chemist took every single piece of mineral for himself into chemistry, and then ground them all down into liquid so only he could use them.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't play here anymore.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #137247

Zilenan91 wrote:Ehh, perhaps making departments require more minerals is a bad thing. I once spent 30 minutes mining as a miner, and the second I got back a chemist took every single piece of mineral for himself into chemistry, and then ground them all down into liquid so only he could use them.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't play here anymore.
Again, I would much prefer this to a nerf. It adds fun and depth to the game instead of 'lol skrew u! U no get toys cuz i dont lik it wen u hab fun'. There will be jerks, of course. It gives Security something to do other than hunting for valids. All Sec can do now is hunt valids because the greytide has been largely stamped out
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #137249

Speaking of grey tide, I hope Pillz finishes his segrestation map. The way it's designed should hopefully cause some sort of conflict from classism and the grey hordes attempting to get on the rich side of town.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #137479

hivelord kit doesn't work has no sprites.