Chaplain's camera obscura doesn't show orbiting ghosts

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Chaplain's camera obscura doesn't show orbiting ghosts

Post by Lumbermancer » #143103

It should. So I can be a paranormal detective and seek out antags.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Chaplain's camera obscura doesn't show orbiting ghosts

Post by onleavedontatme » #143104

And that is exactly why it doesn't show orbiting ghosts
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #143105

Wow. Delete thread.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #143113

no, add it. we'll all orbit around the wrong person so if someone uses it to metagame they'll get banned for unjustified murder
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #143144

Let it only show orbiting ghosts on the chaplain.

"The spirits are angry!"
"Why?"
*shrugs*
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #143150

Well given that MSO recently made ghosts able to orbit ANYTHING, the check can be changed from if(orbiting) to if(isliving(orbiting)) (not ismob(), as a ghost orbiting a ghost who is orbiting an antag would sneak past the checks), this would probably increase your chances of seeing a ghost.
私は完璧
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #143156

You could just have people line up, then have the ghosts float over the changeling/traitor/disguised operative (etc). Safety-proofing the camera obscura doesn't really achieve anything.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #143163

TheNightingale wrote:You could just have people line up, then have the ghosts float over the changeling/traitor/disguised operative (etc). Safety-proofing the camera obscura doesn't really achieve anything.
that would be going out of your way to metagame and make it extremely obvious what you are doing, while orbit is something that can happen at any time in any round
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #143177

Just let the ghosts show up on camera, fuck
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #143186

TheNightingale wrote:You could just have people line up, then have the ghosts float over the changeling/traitor/disguised operative (etc). Safety-proofing the camera obscura doesn't really achieve anything.
And promptly be banned. So yes please do this and out yourself so I can get rid of them faster.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #143188

ThIs seems like a silly reason to remove a feature from the already finicky camera. Wouldn't it be easier to just ban shitters who valid someone over orbiting ghosts
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #143198

Never forget the joys that were murdering the chaplain so your victims ghost wouldn't snitch every single round.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #143244

remove a feature from the already finicky camera
it never had it in the first place. the camera has always ignored orbiting ghosts
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #143246

Saegrimr wrote:
And promptly be banned. So yes please do this and out yourself so I can get rid of them faster.
To be fair that would probably be the dumbest and most inefficient means of metagaming you could come up with
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #143248

Sorry that was not really what I meant. I just mean that the camera is supposed to see ghosts, but most ghosts orbit. It seems asinine to not give it a feature it logically should have because of a fear of shitters ruining it
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #143254

Shaps wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:
To be fair that would probably be the dumbest and most inefficient means of metagaming you could come up with
Just let the camera show the ghosts then
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #143341

Or just not do anything because its working as intended?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #143379

If it showed orbiting ghosts, we'd get situations like:

"I took a picture of a random guy and he had 12 ghosts orbiting around him so I started following him around. He dashed into maint. I reported this to sec and they started following him too. He pulled out a revolver so we killed him. He was an antag so this is valid."

Like yes it's metagaming, but at the same time, what's the point of showing the ghosts if not to let people act on the information? It's stupid to give people information and then say "but don't do anything with it now!". This kind of shit is why I was against the camera in the first place, but at least just showing the ghost isn't abusable. Showing the orbiting ghost, however, is very abusable.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #143380

As soon as the chappy tried to get security to dunk some guy is when they should have told them to fuck off.

Also what are the realistic chances of this happening

Like, think with me for a second. Under what scenario would this manage to out an antag faster than say, a search? Snap a picture of someone in the hall with a dozen ghosts orbiting him for some reason and dunk him? You'd get banned.

Trying to fucking safety the station so that antags can't lose is a fast way to shit. Also it's fucking stupid what with things like random searching still being a thing, it's like putting bubble wrap over a landmine-- you're really not helping anything.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #143408

Well I don't think it's metagaming in the first place. Ghosts are real, and part of the SS13 deep and intrinsic lore. They even show to mortals sometimes, due to wizard events or admin memes. So it's only natural they would follow bad people who murdered them, or who create more ghosts. They are drawn to death.

What about Soulstone that Chaplin gets on Meta, I don't think spirits get their "memory wiped"? If I asked for things, would it be meta? Or what about Ouija Board? That was a thing at some point, I don't think anyone used it because it was finicky as fuck, but it was literally tool for commuting with ghosts.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #143427

Ouija Board is admin spawned on most maps and you need too many people to fuck around with it properly, soul stoned bodies don't get memory wiped but you also get completely removed from the round as a human and stuck as a shade forever unless you suicide or get destroyed.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #143531

ShadowDimentio wrote:As soon as the chappy tried to get security to dunk some guy is when they should have told them to fuck off.
This. It's the same problem as having psychics testify about what the spirits told them: there's no way to know if the psychic is just making shit up. It's hearsay at best.

If the chaplain wants to go conduct a witch hunt on his own, security in theory should kick his ass, and should definitely not help him.

If half the crew is dead and the station is on fire and all hell's breaking loose and the chaplain notices one guy with a lot of ghosts following him around and decides to bash the guy's head in with a fire extinguisher, I think that's totally legit. He had a sign from God, and now he's doing something interesting.
Remove the AI.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #143534

To be honest this would work a lot better if people liked to RP.
What's more fun:
>Chaplain photographs guy, has a ton of ghosts over him
>Shows photo to security
>Security arrests person
>Lookit all this loot
Or:
>Chaplain photographs guy, has a ton of ghosts over him
>Shows photo to security
>They laugh, insist ghosts aren't real and his camera is wonky
>Chaplain appeals to crew
>Several minute argument ensues as they debate whether the image shows ghosts or is distorted
>Chaplain confronts the guy directly
>Fight starts, traitor pulls revolver, chaplain screams
>Security arrests them both
>Each blames it all on the other
>Lawyers are called in for a trial
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #143539

>implying the traitor won't ahelp chaplain metagaming
>implying security won't perma both of them
>implying lawyers ever get trials
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #143541

the moment he pulls out a revolver he's valid and that's it game over.
私は完璧
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #143658

Thunder11 wrote:To be honest this would work a lot better if people liked to RP.
What's more fun:
Exactly my point. But since /tg is apparently the zero-RP server now, the question of whether a blurry photograph alleged to show someone being chased by ghosts is admissible evidence doesn't matter. All that matters, apparently, is "will I get banned for killing this person?"
Remove the AI.