Snowdin Away Mission Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Snowedin away mission feedback

Post by J_Madison » #144150

First attempt feedback.
Looks:
It's definitely got the look. it's snowed in alright.

Difficulty:
Actually I'm going go say this is the theoretically easiest away mission I've taken on. It just so happens it's also the biggest pain in the ass to complete and I'm still stumped at how to do it.

The mechanic of coldness and winter suits is fine, except that's the crutch and the gimmick for the away mission. You absolutely have to fight off all these monsters AND the coldness at the same time.
it's very difficult to fight all these bears (bears don't attack people unconcious, it's a feature) whilst wearing nothing but a coat.

Another feature I really hated was the emphasis on blood. Bleeding is a bad mechanic, and the idea of constantly (and permenantly) bleeding out is not one I like, especially on away missions.

Clarity (what am I meant to do?)
I got confused here. Where are we meant to go? What are we meant to be doing? There's very little information except in locked away sec rooms.
As soon as I left the first area, I was completely unprepared for what I'm going up against next; not only did I have little equipment, but I faced one of the more damaging mobs (space bear) almost immediately.
There doesn't seem to be a clear goal because it's so open, and I didn't like that at all, which feels like WJohnston's uncomplete UO45.

Am I meant to go south? Am I meant to go east? Am I meant to go west?

Backtracking in away missions isn't usually a good idea. It's almost meta to pick up those keys at the gateway start. Not something I like.

The shotguns are non-lethal. Yeah. Real shit when I tried to kill something with a gun that delt less than 5 damage

Conclusion:
Good idea.
Gimmicky/bad mechanics.
Strange layout, unclear goal.
RedMcCloud
Byond Username: RedMcCloud

Re: Snowedin away mission feedback

Post by RedMcCloud » #144153

I heard about this away mission but me being a pussy I haven't gone on it yet. What exactly IS it? From what you're saying it sounds like an absolute bitch to do (no armor because cold) and holy fuck space bears are annoying.
"What the FUCK is Carbon Dioxide?" guy
I write a web serial about aliens: https://pseudofunk.wordpress.com
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #144155

RedMcCloud wrote:I heard about this away mission but me being a pussy I haven't gone on it yet. What exactly IS it? From what you're saying it sounds like an absolute bitch to do (no armor because cold) and holy fuck space bears are annoying.
Think Siberia. Think cold. Think a village.

It's somewhat like that, with a LOT of bears, some undead eskimoes, a few syndicate mobs.

It's an absolute bitch to do combat wise, but I learn from mistakes, and I think the mistake I made is that this mission isn't meant to be for combat and mad loot.

Here's a tip: be VERY careful where you step. Step in the wrong place and your away mission career ends on that spot.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #144158

When MMMiracles was making this away missions he asked for ideas for a dungeon, and I gave him this massive idea of a bunch of syndicate players in a syndicate base, so try going for that.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Snowdin Away Mission Feedback

Post by Zilenan91 » #144291

Since there wasn't one of these yet, I decided to make one.

My only complaints with the away mission is that giving the Ops blood jaunt is a little ridiculous.

Also there's way way way too many fucking bears and not enough medical supplies to deal with them good god. The first level in particular has an absolute shitton of them and it's impossible to get any gear or go anywhere even if you're on an ATV because they swipe at you even when you're going faster than they are because of how simple mob attacks work. I dread to think how shitty this mission would be if there weren't ATVs to run away from the legions of bears with. The worst part is that even if you do kill the bears you took like 20 minutes doing this and now you instantly die to a bunch of Ops with shitloads of guns and wizard gear gg get rekt. There really needs to be way less bears on the first level, it just makes the whole thing frustrating rather than fun to explore.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ClumsyAlcoholic
Byond Username: ClumsyAlcoholic

Re: Snowdin Away Mission Feedback

Post by ClumsyAlcoholic » #144292

Remove half of bears make it a bit less cold and it's golden
MOSIN BOY HERE
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144293

The cold is probably fine but there doesn't need to be a million bears. There needs to be like 1/10 the amount of bears there are right now
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #144294

There's more than one level?
Oh wow, I never actually knew that.

It's kind of worrying when people are failing/dying on the first (single) mob.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144298

There's like 7 billion polar bears, and it's impossible to get any gear to kill said polar bears because there's so many
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ClumsyAlcoholic

Post by ClumsyAlcoholic » #144312

Also the syndicate snow ops die instantly because they spawn next to FUCKING INVINCIBLE TEMPLARS THAT BLOCK ALL BULLETS WITH THEIR SWORDS, WHY, REMOVE BLOCK FROM THEM HOLY SHIT.
MOSIN BOY HERE
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144314

Remove the claymores from them, they're fucking claymores, there's a reason they aren't in normal gameplay since they give a retarded amount of block and do 40 damage in melee. They allow the Ops to shit on everyone else if they manage to kill one of the templar. As it stands right now though the Ops have no way to kill them since all they have is a shitty saw and oxygen tanks versus a 40 brute rape machine that doesn't take any ranged damage at all that can't be stunned and once again takes no damage from ranged weapons, the only weapons the ops have at the start.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #144315

You can make spears, which aren't terrible melee weapons.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144316

You can make spears, and on reflection you can also take some of the other surgery equipment to kill the templar and then become immortal to all attack since you have claymores.

The claymores need to be taken off the mobs, they're really a joke since they do so much damage and have so much block.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ClumsyAlcoholic

Post by ClumsyAlcoholic » #144317

And why is the damn armoury locked anyway.
MOSIN BOY HERE
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144318

The armory is intended to be the reward for the crew getting into the base, not for the Ops, even though it would be nice if they could get in there.

Edit : Actually they should theoretically be able to decon in with the toolbox in the room above.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #144431

I made the main paths for the sole reason to give guidance, you WILL progress if you follow the paths laid out.

I stashed some lethal ammo boxes for the shotguns in a few places near the start, probably could of looked for those.

All the MAD LOOT is on the second level, same with the syndicates. The only thing that SHOULD be slipping is the ice, unless I missed a few platings.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #144453

There didn't need to be two threads on this matter so I merged them. Just a heads up to explain the weird formatting to anyone confused.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter