Newcult

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Newcult

Post by Cobby » #154172

Bring back Oldcult 3-to-convert, Remove Newcult.

That is all.

Old Cult is flavorful, wonky, and FUN. It also provides the nice ability of giving the same power to a convert as someone who started out, which is way more enjoyable than this godawful setup. Also MANY opportunities to get back into the round including Sac > Arty or Ghost to >manifest.

If there's a thread that talks about the gamemode as a whole that I missed I apologize.

I just asked narsie and she said to bring back oldcult as well.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Newcult

Post by PKPenguin321 » #154176

as was thoroughly discussed in the "New Cult Sac Rune" thread,
G I V E
O L D C U L T
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #154218

Newcult is cancer

Oldcult2016
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #154316

I do not remember having any massive issues with oldcult to be honest. What exactly was the drive behind changing to that eventually led to this clusterfuck of cultops? I seem to recall there being some contention on the topic of research/no research
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #154328

"there's too many conversion gametypes it's just rev with runes wah"

"it should be ops with runes instead"
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #154331

Conversion means more people can have fun. Even being construct is less fun in newcult than it was in oldcult.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #154336

oldcult had issues where it was fun for most of the crew and absolute cancer for the rest. Security and heads of staff in particular never felt like they could do anything versus it but call the shuttle and that's shit for obvious reasons because it means that nobody can play the game anymore.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #154337

Zilian did you ever consider that maybe you just don't enjoy playing security? Hardship is part of the job, i have some find memories of struggling against powerful cults
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #154340

Oh I really enjoy playing security. I've also had some really great cult rounds that I've lost and felt good about it because I had fun. That still doesn't mean that cult is, by and large, fun for sec. 9/10 rounds you'd have sec underpopulated like it always is, some would get stunpapered, drug off silently, and then the round would just suddenly end when nar-sie gets summoned.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #154356

Well, now that I've magically been unblocked from github - would people be interested in me bringing back sac cult? (as a separate game mode so I can maintain full creative control)
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #154357

What is sac cult by chance? All the cult iterations kinda blend together after a while.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #154361

The cult version before this one.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #154362

Do we really need two versions of cult though?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #154451

Zilenan91 wrote:Do we really need two versions of cult though?
Nah probably not remove new cult.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #154452

Zilenan91 wrote:oldcult had issues where it was fun for most of the crew and absolute cancer for the rest. Security and heads of staff in particular never felt like they could do anything versus it but call the shuttle and that's shit for obvious reasons because it means that nobody can play the game anymore.
>it's fun for the people that have fun and not to for the people that do not have fun
well no shit sherlock thanks for the insight
if it's fun for most of the crew, as you put it in your own words, that's more than enough reason to keep it. most of our players are having fun? WOW! that's an A+ feature, why would we ever get rid of it?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #154561

I've never understood why Zil hates cult so much but it must just be one of those no fun allowed things.

Most people who play (old)cult and gave it a chance enjoyed it. You got unique items, your power grew with every convert but it took preperation to do anything, where as Rev (which it was always accused of being) was heat of the moment, the Rev converts have no means to communicate and can only tear apart the station looking for the command crew. People who like Rev are people who don't enjoy being part of a team, they just want to fuck shit up.

Go back to oldcult, and several of the higher level powers required cooperation. Summoning, Sacrifice, Blood boil, ressurection. Tome Communication was supposed to help reinforce this teamplay by being able to quickly commune with your fellow cultists. New converts had all the same perks as the original cultists, save for their lack of a starting talisman, which was just a work around the research system anyways. Give a new convert a tome with the words and he's just as effective as a founding member.

My favorite rounds of SS13 are cult rounds, both as a cultist or as a Sec member working against the cult. Hooded figures breaking into security, chucking runic blades and chanting as they activate runes, getting overwhelmed as Warden and beaten into crit before having a rune drawn under my body before exploding into a shower of gore and locked into a shard. Why /tg/station ever changed oldcult is beyond me, on a server that encourages murdersprees and valid hunting, Cult mode was the one mode in which players could always be brought back into the round or interact with it thanks to cult powers.

Now? With new cult? Have fun being sac'd and left to watch the round in saltchat.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.