Tesla needs to be toned down

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Tesla needs to be toned down

Post by iamgoofball » #159830

Bottom post of the previous page:

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/15962

if you still can't hear the damn thing either invest in headphones, speakers, hearing aids, or any combo of these
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #159892

Just to clarify, will an escaped Tesla ball eventually fizzle out?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #159936

No.

When has an escaped singulo ever fizzled out without ending up on the space z-level and getting stuck there forever?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #159943

Singularities can feed off of any material that gets sucked them. As far as I am aware, the Tesla is only fed by the PA. Making it fizzle out after a few minutes of breaking free and nerfing the power output significantly would actually be a great way of balancing it
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #159951

The ball count lowers, but the core tesla will stick around.

What I need to do is make it balance the core's power around the ball count/energy a bit better.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #159956

Luke Cox wrote:Singularities can feed off of any material that gets sucked them. As far as I am aware, the Tesla is only fed by the PA. Making it fizzle out after a few minutes of breaking free and nerfing the power output significantly would actually be a great way of balancing it
I'd say it doesn't need to be balanced. It is balanced already.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #159959

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:Singularities can feed off of any material that gets sucked them. As far as I am aware, the Tesla is only fed by the PA. Making it fizzle out after a few minutes of breaking free and nerfing the power output significantly would actually be a great way of balancing it
I feel like the core risks and benefits of each power source need to be distinct and proportional to the power generated. Tesla is less destructive than singulo, and as such should generate less power than it.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #159960

How is the tesla less destructive than the singulo? It zaps everything as well as humans
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #159963

Luke Cox wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
I feel like the core risks and benefits of each power source need to be distinct and proportional to the power generated. Tesla is less destructive than singulo, and as such should generate less power than it.
While that makes sense, it's also a dumb reason for nerfing the Tesla which is already weak (inb4 "muh instagibs!" When you hear it (from TWO WHOLE SCREENS AWAY JESUS) just get in a locker or just fucking walk the opposite direction you spastic)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #159965

You can now hear it four screens away
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #160063

Not a complaint but does anyone know the actual set up times or if they're different? Singulo always feel like it takes longer because of the canisters but that might just be me.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #160374

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Not a complaint but does anyone know the actual set up times or if they're different? Singulo always feel like it takes longer because of the canisters but that might just be me.
Tesla is faster and easier to set up because you don't need to load the collectors and nobody needs to babysit the PA.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Sestren
Byond Username: Sestren413

Post by Sestren » #161027

Luke Cox wrote: I feel like the core risks and benefits of each power source need to be distinct and proportional to the power generated. Tesla is less destructive than singulo, and as such should generate less power than it.
I find the implication that the difference in power generated is meaningful in any way absolutely hilarious. If you don't wire the engine into the grid, the max output is constrained by the SMES charge rate (so 800kW) and if you do wire it into the grid... you don't gain anything and people start whining because the shocked doors are particularly shocky today. tbh, any engine output >800kW is 'enough' and the actual number is only good for engineering dick-waving, unless you want to argue that powersinks are common enough that its super important. If engineering ever got somewhere to divert all their excess power, the specific engine numbers would be rebalanced in that change as well I'm sure.

The variety is nice and having an improperly disposed of generator typically floating around somewhere in engineering is fun. Tesla definitely is a quicker setup than singulo, but not by much. It takes longer if you retool the containment to a 1x1.

Besides, we all know solar panels are truly the best power source of all.