[Merged] Ghosts with hair

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

[Merged] Ghosts with hair

Post by Ricotez » #163025

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/16225

Merged! The game will copy the hair of the last body you occupied (or your preferred character if you observe) onto your ghost sprite upon ghosting. Only works with the default white ghost form right now, the one you're forced into if you don't have premium. Based on the Goon ghosts, but it's not a straight port and was written from scratch for our own code.

Right now the approval rating of my PR lies around 66%, which is worse than I expected, so I'm hoping to gather some more feedback from this subforum. I have a few ideas for changing it, let me know what you think of these.
  1. Lessen the effect of, or getting rid of your ghastly skull showing through the ghastly hair. Personally I actually rather like this effect, because it emphasizes that the hair is nothing but an aethereal echo of your past worldly form.
  2. Desaturating your hair colour. For example by bumping the transparency up higher, or making the colour whiter.
  3. Adding preference buttons for showing your own hair (easy) and other people's hair (this will be a bit trickier because of the system that makes ghosts still show up even if you toggle-darkness, but not impossible).
  4. Also making ghosts show the goggles, mask and/or hat you wore when you ghosted. I'm not so sure about hats, but goggles and masks may look nice (gas mask and clown ghosts).
  5. Updating the ghost sprite itself to be a bit darker or the edges more transparent so it better merges with the hair.
Last edited by Ricotez on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: [Proposal] Ghosts with hair

Post by Saegrimr » #163038

Not sure why anybody would not want this.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #163048

Only two comments express dislike, one is that it's "creepy" and the other is that it's "distracting".

Personally I think it's good! I like the idea of ghosts being more individually distinguishable, and it might even help learn other people's hairstyles.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #163071

10/10
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #163072

>Complaining that ghosts are spoopy

Literally the definition of a non-issue. What the actual fuck, who says shit like that.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #163091

:+1: fam
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #163138

0/10 not just porting bayghosts
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #163163

DemonFiren wrote:0/10 not just porting bayghosts
bay

more like

gay
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #163173

Aren't bay ghosts just transparent people?
if so I honestly think I prefer this more.

Some people (like joan) already think this is too much going on in the sprite, Bayghosts is WAY past too much going on.
私は完璧
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #163550

Is there any way to make the hair colors more washed out, because I must say it is a bit noisy.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #163553

It should be wasy enough just to add to the hex values equally to get a whiter look.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #163606

ill look into that once i finish squatting all bugs with the new preference system

does BYOND or our code have any standard functions for hexadecimal calculations? that would make this a lot easier
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #164073

The PR has been updated now. Ghost hair is 40% brighter, and there are new preference options for your ghost sprite, and what others' ghost sprites look like to you.

Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #164087

Looks good!
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #164089

Lizard ghosts when?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164096

DemonFiren wrote:Lizard ghosts when?
you wouldn't see them anyways since they go to hell
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #164215

PKPenguin321 wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:Lizard ghosts when?
you wouldn't see them anyways since they go to hell
Excuse me, the Elysian Fields are not hell.
I regret recognising the opportunity to make a lizard sex joke. It tempted me.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #164475

too many meme PRs, maintainers are too busy to look at my code
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Re: [Merged] Ghosts with hair

Post by Ricotez » #164719

we merged now

Please use this thread for feedback from now on, the PR is merged and therefore closed. If you find any bugs, make a bug report on the github and link it here so I can see it and fix it ASAP.
Spoiler: