defib pls

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

defib pls

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #173883

defibrillator is basically worthless imo

got nerfed to hell and back
banned consecutively from multiple communities
professional space law botanist
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
<Chocobro> aesthetics is the best flower maker
Username change: Mackerel -> A3STH3T1CS
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: defib pls

Post by Lumbermancer » #173904

Good. Death shouldn't be inconsequential. You can still pretty consistently defib people that died accidentally, which is the most important.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #173915

Lumbermancer wrote:Good. Death shouldn't be inconsequential. You can still pretty consistently defib people that died accidentally, which is the most important.
>die
>ok i'll just be an ashwalker now

So much consequence. The argument doesn't really hold weight anymore.
I'd rather station crew come back as station crew than as a drone or a posibrain or whatever.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #173917

Lets make cloning take less than 10 minutes then.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #173921

Cheridan wrote:snib
But you can't have a cake and eat it too.

If you buff defibs, cloning would be rendered useless again. Don't you remember how it was when defibs were introduced? Or even after nerf, when people simply used healing patches on corpses to enable defib?

Killing anyone as an antag and making sure they remain dead was a challenge in itself. Also something paranoia something.
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Thu May 05, 2016 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #173922

It takes like five, but getting your gear back and regaining your bearings on the round is part of the clone experience.

Defib kill should be faster though
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #173930

Kor wrote:Lets make cloning take less than 10 minutes then.
I think I mentioned this before in coderbus, but I think what would be best is if we made defibs better again, by removing the brute damage limits and raising the time limit. And then just nix cloning.* Then you have a system that punishes murderboning (since those 20 victims just left lying out in the halls can be revived very quickly after the rampager's inevitable demise) and rewards having some subtlety. This is also even better as a player, since after 3 or however many minutes you can say "Welp it's too late for me now" and explore ghost role options instead of praying for the rest of the round for someone to find your body.

*(or make it quite prohibitive at least, like requiring resources instead of being free).
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #173931

Cheridan wrote:
Kor wrote:Lets make cloning take less than 10 minutes then.
I think I mentioned this before in coderbus, but I think what would be best is if we made defibs better again, by removing the brute damage limits and raising the time limit. And then just nix cloning.* Then you have a system that punishes murderboning (since those 20 victims just left lying out in the halls can be revived very quickly after the rampager's inevitable demise) and rewards having some subtlety. This is also even better as a player, since after 3 or however many minutes you can say "Welp it's too late for me now" and explore ghost role options instead of praying for the rest of the round for someone to find your body.

*(or make it quite prohibitive at least, like requiring resources instead of being free).
tfw this is actually a great idea
It would be great if it was made well and aside from defibs it is very hard to revive a guy unless you borg them or people do crazy shit like use a magicarp from xenobio or use the strange reagent thing from chemistry or something
only problem is rip potato people but death is way too forgiving
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #173934

ShadowDimentio wrote:It takes like five, but getting your gear back and regaining your bearings on the round is part of the clone experience.

It takes 5 minutes of cloning, then you gotta go through cyro (also pretty damn slow), then gathering all your crap, then begging someone for mannitol, then going and eating a ton because cryo made you starving. If you're unlucky you need to go get a new ID and such as well.

Spending 10 minutes respawning/watching a black screen in a round that lasts on average 40 minutes is not a good part of the experience.
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #173941

Kor wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:It takes like five, but getting your gear back and regaining your bearings on the round is part of the clone experience.

It takes 5 minutes of cloning, then you gotta go through cyro (also pretty damn slow), then gathering all your crap, then begging someone for mannitol, then going and eating a ton because cryo made you starving. If you're unlucky you need to go get a new ID and such as well.

Spending 10 minutes respawning/watching a black screen in a round that lasts on average 40 minutes is not a good part of the experience.
I remember when I made LongBow tell me "Really?" after I robusted a medical doctor for using a morphine syringe in a gun to put me down so they could cryo me even though I was constantly asking for mannitol. (No the beakers in the cryotubes didn't have mannitol, I checked)
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #173944

ShadowDimentio wrote:Getting your gear back and regaining your bearings on the round is part of the clone experience.
I like death being bad. It's fucking death, you DIED. Death being cheapened serves no good imo

Inb4 "but death is already free!" no dumbass death isn't if you want to come back as a secondary character that's cool but you should only be a main part of the round if you survive as a crewmember
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #173955

No. Let's rephrase """punish murderboner""" to "crew is literally immortal" defibs are trash and should be kept niche.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #173963

Cheridan wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:Good. Death shouldn't be inconsequential. You can still pretty consistently defib people that died accidentally, which is the most important.
>die
>ok i'll just be an ashwalker now

So much consequence. The argument doesn't really hold weight anymore.
I'd rather station crew come back as station crew than as a drone or a posibrain or whatever.
That's still a consequence, you've returned in a different role and you're previous ic interactions are moot.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #173976

Death has no consequence so let's never die! That will fix it!
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #174171

Funny enough you're actually forced to murderbone because if you kill just one person they can easily return a la defibs. Now you gotta kill him and the doctor, but there's a witness so now you gotta kill them. Now sec knows so you gotta kill them! Now the assistant/bartender/chef/etc. wants to be a hero so now you gotta kill them! Now you can't trust anyone so you gotta kill the rest as well or hide in a locker for the rest of the round [so they can all come back and kill you]. Sometimes even fellow traitors will kill you, so you can't even trust the syndikey chat.

Friendly reminder cloning can be taken down considerably if you get RND to upgrade the machine [ Or just add 2u of REDACTED to cryo to turn the 10 minutes into 2-3 ]

I hate pseudo-extended rounds because traitors/whatever the antag is isn't doing anything. If I wanted to play extended I'd play a defense-only character on Basil where I know I can beat up people who interfere with muh workplace.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #174342

Kor wrote:

you have been infected with the cheridan

Dying should suck. If dying doesn't suck, this is a sandbox for children and nothing matters and rounds degenerate to validhunting deathmatch.
Lati
Byond Username: Lati

Post by Lati » #174406

Cloning used to get upgraded a lot more in the past but the R&D nerfs have made it quite rare from what I've seen since R&D isn't done as much.

About defibs, I think they're just fine now since they can still save someone who has just died. With old defibs it was so easy to bring back dead people with defib and some patches. Dying should be a punishment and spending up to 10 minutes recovering from it is a good punishment.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #174418

Or you can make rezadone and quickclone everyone
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #174435

cloner drones.

finds bodies, scans DNA
inputs into cloner

IT'S A REALLY BAD IDEA
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #174453

Better yet: Meat Wagon. Bot that patrols for corpses, scoops them up and delivers to kitchen
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #174632

That's just called the fucking chef.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #174946

Chef isn't allowed to take bodies himself because of server rules.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #174947

Incomptinence wrote:Chef isn't allowed to take bodies himself because of server rules.
Yes he is? You're not allowed to drag people out of medbay the moment they die, but people who failed cloning/have their soul departed are perfectly acceptable to gib
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #174948

Now that there are actual long term consequences to getting messed up in combat (losing limbs) maybe we can make defibs stronger again. You'll still have to do surgery on the person to get them fully functional.
A3STH3T1CS

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #174973

Maybe I can take up robotics again or force craft apple and corn cobs into functional arms.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #175045

Make defib cause limbs to sometimes animate independently and crawl off the body.

duh duh duh duh snap snap
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #175182

When goonmed is merged, you'll also need defibs to pull patients out of deep crit.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #175596

Good thing it won't be
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.