Why do people observe to play Free Golem instead of readying

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Lati
Byond Username: Lati

Re: Why do people observe to play Free Golem instead of read

Post by Lati » #171708

Bottom post of the previous page:

Golems before they got R&D were fun because they had good progression and teamowrk. Starting with primitive tools and working to get better ones while building a base with others without any fear of suddenly getting killed by a changeling or getting recruited into gang or revolution.

Currently with R&D golems pretty much lost that progression they had earlier since now it's just a teamwork rush to get R&D up and then "go do whatever". The good side in this is the same as above though, no fear of getting suddenly murdered or recruited and you can focus on building fun stuff and having safely fun with a group who you can trust. Of course it's possible for some traitor to come to murder there but that's really rare and pointless.

One other thing with observable roles is that you can check the roundtype before going in as golem. Just like science and mining as normal jobs, being a golem gets more fun the longer the round lasts. That's why it's easy to check first as a ghost if the round type happens to be revolution or wizard before going in as golem to ensure a fun and probably not less than 20 minute round of mining, science and building stuff.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #171885

dionysus24779 wrote: There're many fun roles available only via observing instead of readying and these roles are all pretty unqiue, have their own fun mechanics and you don't get much chance to actually do them.

Also both golems and ash-walkers still have novelty to them, they're new and shiny.
end of thread
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #171933

The free golem style of play is something i always thought was cool. D20 station used to have designated Dorfmode rounds where you started on a tiny very bare-bones station that is just a couple rooms, and you had to go out and scavenge for supplies and other necessities to expand and build an actual functional station. It always sounded cool to me, although i never played it. Maybe we could try it some time? Only problem is that it needs an entire custom map just for this round type
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #176460

I've recently been playing SM a lot, so I got into mining craze. With Free Golems for me, It's something unique and gives a great roleplay perspective while giving a challenge byond (HAHA) the every round greytide, or traitor.

Being a golem, out stuck in some desolate shithole and you're trying to build up others, and do science in the name of the great one on some god forbidden ship really gives me motivation to do my job beyond what I would with say a botantist. The uniqueness, the change of pace, the quirkiness/gimmick of it is very interesting to me.

To bring more attraction back to human jobs / roundstart jobs, I'd personally say a small quirk that is random with the job, example ; engineers, once engine is set, solars set, you kinda have nothing to do until some hull breach or bomb. Having a quirk of having them go to construction and make use of that, doing something with the space while still having the creativeness to do what they want with it. Doctors mull about until some chucklefuck starts mass harming people. Because honestly, if a person is hurt themselves and not in crit, they'll climb onto the med front desk, open the door themselves and patch themself up. Have doctors make check-ups on the department pets.

Overall something beyond the basic setup of the job, I find that after I've taken 10 minutes to do what I need, unless I'm dedicated to continuing that, I have nothing else to do depending on the job. But this is just my two cents, I'm still new to bagil, but this is what I feel personally could help.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.