Security uniforms have been ruined once again.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Security uniforms have been ruined once again.

Post by Gun Hog » #177138

Bottom post of the previous page:

Steelpoint wrote:I highly doubt changing a few sprites around would break anything.

Besides, nothing's stopping anyone from putting up a sprite change PR.
Oh, yes there is. There is always lots of drama and controversy regarding Security sprites (or any changes to Sec in general, given that they are the most important department on the station). Anyone putting up a Security sprite PR will have to put up with strong opinions, frustrated maintainers closing the PRs early, and other community backlash. This is of course, ignoring the other obvious things such as lack of spriting skills, knowledge of Github, a suitable computer on which to work, etc
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #177140

I'm stating that from a code perspective I highly doubt there would be any bugs or problems with swapping some sprites around.

Not to mention Kor seems to be fine with swapping the sprites back.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #177142

The only reason I have not done so myself is because I wouldnt be allowed to merge it.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #177148

Not allowed by whom? Are there subversive elements at work? Was Wyzack right after all?
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Tue May 17, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #177149

I think it is just poor form/not allowed to merge your own prs
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #177163

Kor wrote:Sprite changes are allowed during a freeze.
my memes involve a codeside setup to end all sprite wars
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #177237

iamgoofball wrote:i got fucked by the feature freeze sorry
haha dude that's totally why
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #177283

PKPenguin321 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:i got fucked by the feature freeze sorry
haha dude that's totally why
no i actually did

i went for a short trip over the weekend and was gonna finish it when I got back and then boom feature freeze rip my PR
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #177288

Literally though im not kidding i totally believe you
And honestly goofball you dont get enough credit for what you do
Zany as you may be, some of your ideas are really good
Yet sometimes you lack the motivation to actually code them
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #177415

Hating goofball is a meme even though he is shit some times.

People got so assblasted about goofchem, and maybe the implementation was kinda rocky, but holy shit compared to now our old chemistry system was boring as fuck. Now you can blow people up and all other types of crazy shit, which is pretty rad. ALSO RENAME CHARCOAL U FUCK I WILL NEVER LET THIS GO
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #177426

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #177447

What do I do now? Do I need to push a button or contact my congressional representative?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #177497

please just make security pink already
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #177594

paprika wrote:please just make security pink already
I'd legit be down for pink
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #177624

Making it random because grey shitters in coderbus know no self respecting hos picks gruelcurity?

Shameful waste.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177632

Redcurity when? The PR that did do that, by Kor, was closed. Now we have to wait the feature freeze to get randomrainbowcurity.

I'm not against Goof's change (barring the randomization of colours, should be up to the HoS) though.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #177637

I literally cannot stop myself from laughing every time I hear about security sprites

Just make them pink
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #177661

>greycurity is horrible and I always mistake them for assistants with sec gear
>feature freeze so no change can happen
>oh wait sprites can go through the freeze, wew
>nope here's a sprite fix that's actually a feature so you have to wait a month anyway
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #177667

Steelpoint wrote:Redcurity when? The PR that did do that, by Kor, was closed. Now we have to wait the feature freeze to get randomrainbowcurity.

I'm not against Goof's change (barring the randomization of colours, should be up to the HoS) though.
This is why I keep saying someone else needs to do it so I can merge it. Can't merge my own PR.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177672

Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #177675

I've yet to hear a solid reason for forcing this revert through other than a few members of one clique wanting to piss the other clique that made the change off even further.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177676

This is the second (or third) attempt/push that has resulted in a big shit fest over changing the security sprites from their iconic color scheme and appearance over to a compleatly different one. Not to mention NO other SS13 server has a different color scheme to security, even servers like Colonial Marines keep the Security Officers as red (as military police).

Its a change for the sake of it, and people wanting to keep the color red should NOT be required to give a reasoning to keep the change, people wanting to change the color to grey should be giving very good reasons as to why they want so.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #177678

Because Kor wants it reverted because I compromised on helmets and I would literally die for kor phaeron
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #177679

Steelpoint wrote:This is the second (or third) attempt/push that has resulted in a big shit fest over changing the security sprites from their iconic color scheme and appearance over to a compleatly different one. Not to mention NO other SS13 server has a different color scheme to security, even servers like Colonial Marines keep the Security Officers as red (as military police).

Its a change for the sake of it, and people wanting to keep the color red should NOT be required to give a reasoning to keep the change, people wanting to change the color to grey should be giving very good reasons as to why they want so.
95% of the changes pushed through coderbus are for the sake of it. Keeping Security red "for the sake" of keeping the established color scheme, the change was to move away from the boring stale established color scheme.

I honestly fail to see how one is somehow better than the other.

Lets not pretend to be retarded here Steelpoint.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #177680

DEPLOY PARTY POPPERS IN FULL FORCE GO GO GO! CHERRIES IN THE TREES!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177681

Lets change the appearance, external or otherwise, of the Millennium Falcon/Tardis/Battlestar Galactica/Darth Vadar/etc to keep things fresh.
Change for the sake of it is not enough. There is a difference between giving something a face lift, that we ALREADY did with Ausops more detailed sprites back in the day that retained the red style, versus a complete overhaul.

The idea of turning Security into a non-red color has never held water as every attempt has been lazily executed. The only true departmental change SS13 has ever seen in recent memory was the transfer from Green Medbay to Blue Medbay, and even that was literally just swapping out the Green sprites for Blue one's.

Before you say "b-buh the Tardis/BSG/Whatever did get changed" I'll tell you you're wrong. They were facelifted but they ultimantly all retained the original style, appearance and color scheme of the original version.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #177683

Steelpoint wrote:
Lets change the appearance, external or otherwise, of the Millennium Falcon/Tardis/Battlestar Galactica/Darth Vadar/etc to keep things fresh.
Change for the sake of it is not enough. There is a difference between giving something a face lift, that we ALREADY did with Ausops more detailed sprites back in the day that retained the red style, versus a complete overhaul.

The idea of turning Security into a non-red color has never held water as every attempt has been lazily executed. The only true departmental change SS13 has ever seen in recent memory was the transfer from Green Medbay to Blue Medbay, and even that was literally just swapping out the Green sprites for Blue one's.

Before you say "b-buh the Tardis/BSG/Whatever did get changed" I'll tell you you're wrong. They were facelifted but they ultimantly all retained the original style, appearance and color scheme of the original version.
You still failed to address the only reason to keep the iconic design instead of an overhaul is for the sake of it. A lot of people liked the overhaul, more so than the amount of people making the complaint (I personally have just seen the same maybe 8 names pop up in every discussion bitching about the change).

And don't give me any shit about "b-but people will find it confusing". Let mouth breathers be confused if they can't handle a simple color change without needing a safe space to process this new change for more than a nanosecond.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #177685

Tornadium wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:This is the second (or third) attempt/push that has resulted in a big shit fest over changing the security sprites from their iconic color scheme and appearance over to a compleatly different one. Not to mention NO other SS13 server has a different color scheme to security, even servers like Colonial Marines keep the Security Officers as red (as military police).

95% of the changes pushed through coderbus are for the sake of it. Keeping Security red "for the sake" of keeping the established color scheme, the change was to move away from the boring stale established color scheme.
Which is why coderbus is hated so much.

Just because a crappy practice is the status quo isn't a reason to continue with said shitty practice.

And the reasons given in favour of redcurrity are:
-Red has always been their color
-It is a reference to red shirts from Star Trek
-Grey causes confusion with assistants

And the reasons given in favour of keeping greycurrity are:
-???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by Malkevin on Thu May 19, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #177686

hey tornadium why don't you surgically extract your lips from coderbus's collective asshoel
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #177687

Steelpoint wrote:The idea of turning Security into a non-red color has never held water as every attempt has been lazily executed. The only true departmental change SS13 has ever seen in recent memory was the transfer from Green Medbay to Blue Medbay, and even that was literally just swapping out the Green sprites for Blue one's.
And the only reason that change happened is because Greenbay was hated so much because that itself was an ugly changed forced in due to someone's weed fueled paranoia that the international red cross would sue us for using their logo like every other game has done since god knows when, so medbay went from sterile white with red crosses to sterile white with putrid green crosses then finally to sterile white with light blue crosses.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #177689

Malkevin wrote:
Tornadium wrote:

Which is why coderbus is hated so much.

Just because a crappy practice is the status quo isn't a reason to continue with said shitty practice.

And the reasons given in favour of redcurrity are:
-Red has always been their color
-It is a reference to red shirts from Star Trek
-Grey causes confusion with assistants

And the reasons given in favour of keeping greycurrity are:
-???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
So the only reason to keep redcurrity as far as your concerned is a reference to star-trek and because people are too stupid to be able to differentiate? Using the status-quo as a reason to keep the status quo is a pretty huge logical fallacy.

As for reasons for keeping greycurity from what I've personally heard and witnessed being discussed on the server (you know where relevant opinions are expressed by people that actually play the game)

- Superior sprites
- Grey and Red enhances the "Professional" look of the department (Down to personal preference of course but I thought we wanted to go away from Mall-Cop security).
- Lack of department customization is getting really stale especially for security and the change was for some people refreshing.

Beyond that there really isn't much reasoning beyond people simply preferring the new scheme. So what this boils down to is personal preference on both sides. Not a single argument holds up outside of individual preference. Which is why this should be down to a community vote after a testing period rather than being subject to the opinions of maybe 8 people who all have a grudge against eachother.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177691

Don't worry, Cheridan close the PR.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #177692

the best part about closing steelpoint prs is seeing your butthurt on the forums immediately afterwards
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #177693

cherry dan you fucking cumguzzling planta in

given MSO's obsession with having a third server that no one plays on he should just create a fucking containment server for you drooling wrongplanet autlantians to shitcode all you fucking want. how do you guys determine who has to come to the forum and talk in fucking circles and refuse to listen to anyone elses argument, do you guys draw lots or is it a vote system? i wish errorage was the host again so you barnacle scraping scullions would start crying about division of power and go and make your own server again and pretend to have so much fun coding for a server that no one plays on.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #177694

hey moron you realize that the reason i closed steelpoint's PR is because a system to allow the HoS to choose the round's uniform is being made, right?

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/17756
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177695

Cheridan wrote:hey moron you realize that the reason i closed steelpoint's PR is because a system to allow the HoS to choose the round's uniform is being made, right?

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/17756
Critical difference is that PR can't be merged until the end of the feature freeze, another month from now.

My PR could.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #177696

oh god you'll have to spend a whole month suffering from a purely cosmetic thing you don't like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #177697

Tornadium wrote:Beyond that there really isn't much reasoning beyond people simply preferring the new scheme. So what this boils down to is personal preference on both sides. Not a single argument holds up outside of individual preference. Which is why this should be down to a community vote after a testing period rather than being subject to the opinions of maybe 8 people who all have a grudge against eachother.
Oh I am pretty sure there is another reasoning behind supporting the new colour scheme which makes me doubt many people actually like how it looks. Why you might see an example of this childish petulant motive right above this very post!
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #177698

Incomptinence wrote:
Tornadium wrote:Beyond that there really isn't much reasoning beyond people simply preferring the new scheme. So what this boils down to is personal preference on both sides. Not a single argument holds up outside of individual preference. Which is why this should be down to a community vote after a testing period rather than being subject to the opinions of maybe 8 people who all have a grudge against eachother.
Oh I am pretty sure there is another reasoning behind supporting the new colour scheme which makes me doubt many people actually like how it looks. Why you might see an example of this childish petulant motive right above this very post!
Most of the people who play on the server are completely ignorant of coderbus politics.

Lets not be retarded intentionally here.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #177699

B A N T E R
A
N
T
E
R
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #177700

Tornadium wrote: As for reasons for keeping greycurity from what I've personally heard and witnessed being discussed on the server (you know where relevant opinions are expressed by people that actually play the game)
Hey screw you, only reason I'm not playing atm the moment is because I don't want to get banned for repeatedly murdering unloved rock whenever he pisses me off (this is every round I play with him).
I can away patiently for the shitter to get himself banned.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #177708

Malkevin wrote:
Tornadium wrote: As for reasons for keeping greycurity from what I've personally heard and witnessed being discussed on the server (you know where relevant opinions are expressed by people that actually play the game)
Hey screw you, only reason I'm not playing atm the moment is because I don't want to get banned for repeatedly murdering unloved rock whenever he pisses me off (this is every round I play with him).
I can away patiently for the shitter to get himself banned.
Wasn't referring to you specifically.

It was more a jibe that a core group of forum goers seem to have their opinions counted for more than the majority of the playerbase despite playing less than the average member.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #177713

Do you have anything to back this up with?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #177714

If they wanna talk then can talk you never get everyone's say man. Statisticians accept that.

We could bring up in game polls again but that's also codenite it seems when push comes to shove.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #177718

In game pools. Considering how few people play sec, you'd be asking mostly non-sec about sec stuff in these. And I do not care about assistants opinion on security jumpsuits myself.
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Thu May 19, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177719

That's a good point.

Putting aside security recognition for newer players, this change only really affects security players.

Meaning the question should be aimed more to people who play security as this is a change that effects them more so.

Its the same reason you would more heavily weight the opinion of a miner player on mining content, or similar.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #177721

It doesn't affect sec players only, the crew also needs to quickly tell an officer from an assistant with sec gear
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #177722

Well I decided to pull a Tornadium and talk to the REAL PLAYERS so I could make a completely ironclad and reliable anecdote about what they think and... asking OOC didn't even fish up anyone that liked it let alone anyone putting forth reasons to keep grey uniforms.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #177726

Grazyn wrote:It doesn't affect sec players only, the crew also needs to quickly tell an officer from an assistant with sec gear
I'm quite confident we don't need a pool for that.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #177729

Cheridan calm your titties, kor literally asked for that PR to made
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #177735

I don't really play sec except for once in a blue moon but bring back the red tide.

Not a big fan of random uniforms myself, but that's just a personal thing.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.