Security uniforms have been ruined once again.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Re: Security uniforms have been ruined once again.

Post by Tornadium » #178033

Bottom post of the previous page:

Grazyn wrote:Let's dispel this notion once and for all that sec exists to protect the crew. It does not. It exists to hunt antags
Yeah but you really expect Sec to not hunt antags that you know are going to become a threat once they reach critical mass?

Sure that gang isn't causing any harm by recruiting people but if you don't stop them they're going to get SMGs and come fuck you up eventually with superior numbers and ambush tactics.

You can't expect sec players to intentionally play dumb to improve the round because it just makes sec even more unappealing to play (if it could get any worse).
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #178035

Grazyn wrote:Let's dispel this notion once and for all that sec exists to protect the crew. It does not. It exists to hunt antags
That has zero bearing on visuals whatsoever.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #178040

Lumbermancer wrote:
That has zero bearing on visuals whatsoever.
But it does, because one of the main reasons people have tried to make them look more professional/tacticool/friendly is because they've wanted to make sec not look like faceless mooks that validate the valids - even though thats a big part of their role.

Also the reason for so many convert modes is because of all the man babies that get butt hurt about getting killed by an antag, and/or can't handle playing the game when they don't win the license to griff lottery.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #178041

People say gangs don't harm the crew but once a gang leader spawns someone a stetchkin, Uzi, or stiletto they're going to kill anyone who doesn't have a G next to their sprite, even if they aren't in a rival organization.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #178045

Traitor isn't pure anymore either, it got the taint of team deathmatch when traitor comm chips were added to the uplink.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #178046

Jesus Paprika when you turn off the assmad you make some really good and thought provoking posts. He has some really good points, namely that conversion antag modes are kinda shite. Nowadays i kind of hate playing anything but traitor. I feel the like everpresent need for more PvE content shows worst here. The crew and sec need an exterior antagonist that is more common and not just another chance for players to have a go at the grief lottery
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #178055

Malkevin wrote:Valid points.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #178169

I'm not really trying to imply the opinions of how sec should look are wholly based on our bad gamemodes right now, there are always gonna be people who think corporate sec just looks good or nice sec is just better to look at, but these people (in my experience) don't play sec much anyway so I think if we pander to the tacticool-lovers WHILE ALSO fixing the abundance of sec-vs-crew shit in the game, the people who want sec to look 'nice' will likely be OKAY with sec looking mean because they're not dicking the crew down with loyalty implants every few rounds.

Personally I think we should stick with one sec aesthetic, update it to suit the needs of people who are really big fans of security just like we do with mining/etc, while also not having sec gameplay that's soley focused on antag hunting within the crew and more focused on defending the station from outward threats or traitors (also remove the comm uplink bullshit that was mentioned).

Look, if we keep arguing of 'who likes what colors/clothes better' we WILL eventually get the solution that nobody is happy with which is goof's solution. Sec's clothes will still be a huge mess changing every round and ultimately bloat up the game with more visual clutter that the /tg/ codebase is starting to become known for. It probably pisses off my autism more than anyone else's here but I'd rather keep tacticool/corporate mercenary sec (which I was a HUGE fan of at one point) because our sec players like fighting antags and that's why they play the role. We can force sec to become something it's not by doing my previous ideas (making them go to mining, removing armory, etc) but in reality changing a department that's played every round is going to have a bigger impact on the codebase than changing gamemodes that are simply not played every round, period. It was stupid of me to not consider this and it'd be stupid of anyone else to not consider it too.

So maybe our """""DESIGN LEAD"""""" kor, or our """""HEAD OF SPRITES""""" WJ can pick an aesthetic that they think works with the game the best, or maybe ausops can grace us with a set of new sprites for sec and we should just stick with it for fuck's sake. Let's give security some real antagonists to fight.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #178227

I swear on green gods good earth if people keep saying security is there to hunt antags I will do everything in my power to nerf security into the biggest joke job in the station, starting with removing all their armour.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #178259

They hunt antags because usually they are dangerous and their objectives are literal crimes, so dangerous criminals for those slow on the uptake. Can't keep people safe if you are ignoring Deagle McRevolver, sorry literally insane citrus.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #178320

I swear on green gods good earth if people keep saying security is there to hunt antags I will do everything in my power to nerf security into the biggest joke job in the station, starting with removing all their armour.
As I've already said, in 40% of the modes the whole crew are antagonists, and it's sec's job to hunt them down and implant/kill them all. It's just how it is.
Bring back papercult.

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #178332

remember

no security.

*lift dings*
RedMcCloud
Byond Username: RedMcCloud

Post by RedMcCloud » #178338

As other's have said, make it so HoS can pick the security jumpsuit at round start. It would allow for some nice variety, especially if you add the old suits and maybe some palette swaps. Making it so each outfit set is attached to a seperate group of security officers with different equipment and stuff is going to take a while to implement correctly and also be a balance nightmare, so this is a very good stopgap (or permanent maybe) solution.

"What the FUCK is Carbon Dioxide?" guy
I write a web serial about aliens: https://pseudofunk.wordpress.com
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #178354

I still want to have my Red Sec Sprite PR at least reopenend considering Goof's PR is off the table for the month.

Cheridan only closed it to get a rise out of me, or diplomatically because Goof had a PR up as well.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #178363

I thought it was already pushed through?

I mean we've had random sec uniforms for a little bit now?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #178364

I'm yet to see other uniform than gray.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #178366

Lumbermancer wrote:I'm yet to see other uniform than gray.
Goof's PR was closed due to it technically being a feature.

Cheridan closed my PR for reasons unknown even though my PR is both supported by Kor and others but also does not break the ffreeze rules.

My PR for reference: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/17784
demas
Byond Username: Drunkas

Post by demas » #178372

paprika wrote: Image
Those masks look awful

What aesthetically challenged retard thought these were passable
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #178384

The guy that I got to sprite them, if you think those are awful those are the touched up ones I tried improving, the originals were far worse.

Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #178392

honkurity
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #178394

Malkevin wrote:The guy that I got to sprite them, if you think those are awful those are the touched up ones I tried improving, the originals were far worse.
Oh my god, the far right ones look so fucking terrible, lmao
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #178428

new idea: security uniforms change color based on the alert level. Goodtimes Green when there's no trouble, Better Safe than Sorry Blue when you think somethings shifty, Robusting Red when things get bad, and Fascist Fuchsia when we're all fucked, it's Delta, call the god damn shuttle.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #178438

Super Aggro Crag wrote:new idea: security uniforms change color based on the alert level. Goodtimes Green when there's no trouble, Better Safe than Sorry Blue when you think somethings shifty, Robusting Red when things get bad, and Fascist Fuchsia when we're all fucked, it's Delta, call the god damn shuttle.
make EMPs send them haywire
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #178519

Super Aggro Crag wrote:new idea: security uniforms change color based on the alert level. Goodtimes Green when there's no trouble, Better Safe than Sorry Blue when you think somethings shifty, Robusting Red when things get bad, and Fascist Fuchsia when we're all fucked, it's Delta, call the god damn shuttle.
is it bad i really want to code this?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #178608

Great then they would force us to have a code grey because some tiny microscopic I can't find them after several tries minority thinks grey is the best suit shade for security.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #178647

paprika wrote:
is it bad i really want to code this?
no, all of my ideas are as solid as a mighty sequoia tree
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #178659

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Curabitur id orci nisl. Donec ac ante facilisis, lobortis turpis sit amet, congue ante. Curabitur fermentum varius nisl, quis ornare ante faucibus id. Maecenas id lectus nec tortor aliquet fringilla. In sed placerat mauris. Etiam dictum ullamcorper eleifend. Donec bibendum nibh quis purus laoreet viverra. Pellentesque magna velit, tempor nec ornare at, bibendum vitae lorem. Mauris consectetur erat sed est pretium, nec auctor nibh laoreet. Nam varius diam nec enim hendrerit, nec pharetra nulla tincidunt. Aliquam vitae gravida lorem. Cras ac dolor vel sem efficitur laoreet.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #180131

Are we done? Can I go to sleep without the fear I will wake up colour blind again?
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Wed May 25, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #180136

Just spawn all officers with red athletic shorts, make permabrig a beach with a lifeguard station
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #180153

Takeguru wrote:Just spawn all officers with red athletic shorts, make permabrig a beach with a lifeguard station
[youtube]NLYzj7fwS1E[/youtube]
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #180769

Can we just get the old jumpsuits back since everybody fucking hates the new ones?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #180811

Yeah let's keep sec red and tacticool tbh.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #180956

It's already back to red again my friends
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #180968

It's back to being horrible