Remove Grey Tide From The Game

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Remove Grey Tide From The Game

Post by Steelpoint » #182624

The Grey Tide Virus is one of the most obnoxious things that can happen to sec, it is a RNG fuck you to security. Not to mention it can oft happen at the worst possible time.

No other department has a giant 'fuck you' event that can randomly occur.
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Re: Remove Grey Tide From The Game

Post by Sidon » #182625

Steelpoint wrote:No other department has a giant 'fuck you' event that can randomly occur.
yeah they do it's called security
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #182642

I keep seeing it, what is the grey tide virus?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #182647

Armhulen wrote:I keep seeing it, what is the grey tide virus?
It bolts open all the security doors leading from the perma wing to the main entrance to the brig.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #182703

I wouldn't mind it so much if it didnt require a silicon (or engineer with plenty of time on their hands) to fix.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #182710

Hang on. Doesn't security have one of those remote door controllers? Those can unbolt airlocks.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #182728

I haven't had it happen to me but if I were playing warden and suddenly all the criminal scum in perma were all released at once and I didn't immediately manage to seal them back up I'd fellate my stunbaton and embrace the sweet release of death
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #182730

Lets make permabrig auctally PERMA with no chance getting out cuz Prisoners cant try to escape right? because security must seal their valids in a little cage
The future is horrible!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #182733

The real perma brig is throwing someone in a pool of lava on lavaland, you can't escape that.

But I fail utterly to see the justification for the exsistance of the grey tide virus.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #182735

It made sense when sec was on top of things once upon a time before power creep and HE BUFF HE OWN JOB!*

When rounds didn't collapse into a molten mess before an hour in it could be I dunno potentially entertaining.

*Is fine to do for any other job
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #182738

Steelpoint wrote:The real perma brig is throwing someone in a pool of lava on lavaland, you can't escape that.

But I fail utterly to see the justification for the exsistance of the grey tide virus.
>be prisoner>find legion>make skatebord>skate over lava to avoid any more LAVA damage>use legion heart to dose off the fire and fully heal>proceed to break in mining base
The future is horrible!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #182739

Ezel wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:The real perma brig is throwing someone in a pool of lava on lavaland, you can't escape that.

>be prisoner>find legion>make skatebord>skate over lava to avoid any more LAVA damage>use legion heart to dose off the fire and fully heal>proceed to break in mining base
How the hell are you supposed to do that when your corpse is lying in a pool of molten magma?
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #182741

Steelpoint wrote:
Ezel wrote:

How the hell are you supposed to do that when your corpse is lying in a pool of molten magma?
When the miner gets your body and you get cloned then send back :^)
The future is horrible!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #182742

That's a lot of effort to get a body I chucked out behind the security shuttle.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #182800

Ezel wrote:Lets make permabrig auctally PERMA with no chance getting out cuz Prisoners cant try to escape right? because security must seal their valids in a little cage
You just don't make good posts or ideas do you
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #182809

Honestly i think in concept it is actually quite cool. Image if you have a few perps in prison, round has slowed down a bit, then WHAM. Chaos. Lights go out, the warden is ferverently cracking skulls, spamming flashbangs and trying to nab everyone as they fight back with hatchets and trays or even just run away. A couple cons make a break for it in the carnage, escape to dorms or somewhere and make a quick bid to change out of their prison orange, blend in and hide, sparking a stationwide manhunt.

Never once have I seen this happen. In general sec generally executes over keeping people in prison. This is a powergamey play, but becomes necessary when you consider that we have so many team antag modes that they will almost inevitably get broken out by their buddies at some point, or make a good bid to kill a sec officer and escape with his loot. Added to this most people get so goddamn salty about being brigged that sometimes you kill them just to shut them the fuck up.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #182842

iirc the greytide virus was added into the game years ago as both a joke and as a reason for sec to not completely abandon the brig, especially when they have prisoners. I don't see much of a reason to remove it since it's not the end of the round and most antags get executed soon as possible anyways. Hell the last time I was thrown into the brig was because a sec officer was culted and only tossed me in there to buy time for his cult buddies to come along and convert me.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #182843

Greytide is sometimes justified
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #182844

allura wrote:Greytide is sometimes justified
You didn't even read the post, did you
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #182848

We have so few events that actually do anything as is though (electrical storm detected, vent clog, every round)
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #182856

could just make it a generic departmental airlock malfunction event

itd be a real grey tide that way, imagine admins pressing the airlock malfunction button and flocks of assistants migrating to different departments as they get hit
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #182859

imblyings wrote:could just make it a generic departmental airlock malfunction event

itd be a real grey tide that way, imagine admins pressing the airlock malfunction button and flocks of assistants migrating to different departments as they get hit
So long as the bridge gets its own. Could even have a mega rare event where all doors on the station get bolted open. Or an event that spreads from air lock to airlock and needs an engineer to disassemble the last effect airlock from spreading in that direction.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #182881

imblyings wrote:could just make it a generic departmental airlock malfunction event

Now THIS is an idea/"fix"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #182883

Saegrimr wrote:
allura wrote:Greytide is sometimes justified
You didn't even read the post, did you
I did read it
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #182886

I just finished game as a HoS. Round starts, I barely change clothes, leave my office and see some fucker going through false wall he made into shooting range. Zap, cuff, and to perma you go. No remorse. 2 minutes later, engineer is dismantling windows to brig cell. Zap, cuff, into the perma you go. You need to be ruthless.

If Gulag was safer, faster and easier to use greytide problem would disappear fairly quickly, I promise you that.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #182889

Added to this most people get so goddamn salty about being brigged that sometimes you kill them just to shut them the fuck up.
I can relate to this.
Bring back papercult.

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #182891

Gulag is literally pulling teeth in my experience unless you leave them there in cuffs.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #182895

I'm going to add this, but make all assistants get the message "You feel an overwhelming urge to loot [department]. Do not resort to violence unless someone tries to stop you."
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #182896

Yes. Let me get my unga on.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #182897

Kor wrote:Do not resort to violence unless someone tries to stop you.
Oh yeah, that's gonna go over well.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #182962

>unless someone tries to stop you
>literally telling greyshits it's ok to beat the shit out of anyone that doesnt just roll over as they get looted

Ebin.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #182967

Kor wrote:

I'm going to add this, but make all assistants get the message "You feel an overwhelming urge to loot [department]. Do not resort to violence unless someone tries to stop you."
This sounds horrible and a nightmare
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #182974

Events are meant to be disruptive and dangerous.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #182980

I fully support orksistants who loot everything not nailed down
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #183032

Kor wrote:Events are meant to be disruptive and dangerous.
Yeah, events.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #183045

random events are events saeg,

anyways, I don't think a random event should give more incentive to play assistant so you can grief people, if anything it should be a wizard event.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #183047

Giving the people most likely to be shitters a genuine excuse to be massive shitters is not an event.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #183049

And people wonder why I always execute perma prisoners
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #183063

its b/c ur a shitter
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #183072

Kor wrote:

Sounds fun. Time to test out Tesla revolvers on a crowd of disposable assistants if it happens to science
Lilah
Byond Username: LilahNovi

Post by Lilah » #183084

Why not set it so its on a timer? That way it's a slightly exciting attempt to escape, rather than a stressful situation. I think that would make it more event-like. You know, prisoners have 1 minute or whatever to get out!
:heart: Image :heart:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #183112

Lumbermancer wrote:I just finished game as a HoS. Round starts, I barely change clothes, leave my office and see some fucker going through false wall he made into shooting range. Zap, cuff, and to perma you go. No remorse. 2 minutes later, engineer is dismantling windows to brig cell. Zap, cuff, into the perma you go. You need to be ruthless.

If Gulag was safer, faster and easier to use greytide problem would disappear fairly quickly, I promise you that.
You only read the title of this thread, didn't you? We're talking about the GR3Y.T1D3 virus random event, not the mob mentality that comes with the greysuit.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #183119

My terrible secret is out, I cannot read...
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #183134

I like the suggestion that the grey tide virus can infect a random department, not just security. Though let's not give Urist McGreygriffon an excuse to act like an antag and just keep it as bolting open the department doors.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #183138

Lilah wrote:Why not set it so its on a timer? That way it's a slightly exciting attempt to escape, rather than a stressful situation. I think that would make it more event-like. You know, prisoners have 1 minute or whatever to get out!
This. Make it apply to all departments (randomised - or maybe all at once!), but on a timer - so you've got a minute to get in, do your business, and get out, before the doors unbolt and close automatically. (And the broken lights would change to the Lighting on the APCs being off).
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #183144

TheNightingale wrote:
Lilah wrote:Why not set it so its on a timer? That way it's a slightly exciting attempt to escape, rather than a stressful situation. I think that would make it more event-like. You know, prisoners have 1 minute or whatever to get out!
This. Make it apply to all departments (randomised - or maybe all at once!), but on a timer - so you've got a minute to get in, do your business, and get out, before the doors unbolt and close automatically. (And the broken lights would change to the Lighting on the APCs being off).
When the timer runs out the doors briefly have their safeties turned off too, and then back on when they close. That way a straggler might get crushed.
--Crocodillo

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #183146

Anonmare wrote:I like the suggestion that the grey tide virus can infect a random department, not just security. Though let's not give Urist McGreygriffon an excuse to act like an antag and just keep it as bolting open the department doors.
It wouldnt be much of an event if we just banned anyone who responded to it though.

We already have plenty of events that create actual antags anyway (blob, xeno, morph, swarmer, ninja) and those are all far more dangerous than an assistant toolboxing you.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #183153

I don't know if turning the jailbreak event into 'actual graytide' is the greatest idea, especially if you're ENCOURAGING them to turn violent if someone doesn't bend over and let them take their shit.

This is a server where people are known to preemptively create stunprods/cuffs/insert improv weapon here as a "just in-case"; if your intended result is to generate salt from the losing side created by this event (assistants spear ungaing a department seemingly random/assistants crying because they died being shits), then it'll do that extremely well.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #183159

Ok, is everyone just ignoring that the warden has a door remote that can unbolt doors?
I don't see the issue with the event since the complaint about it being difficult to undo without silicons is completely invalid.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183160

The event is still a bad addition, the fact we got a tool that negates it to a extent is besides the point.