Venus man traps need a nerf

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Venus man traps need a nerf

Post by Jacough » #187104

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not but right now if they hook you there's basically no escape. Even if they don't have a line of sight and they move to a different room and there's like two walls between you you will remain grabbed. Add to that the fact that you can't even resist out of their grab they're a pretty bullshit enemy. Seems to me like you should be able to resist out of the grab so you at least have a fighting chance against them and if an obstacle comes between you it should break their grab.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Venus man traps need a nerf

Post by Incomptinence » #187353

Good.

People should die.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #187444

Incomptinence wrote:Good.

People should die.
Agreed- if you let space vines get to the point where they're flowering, it's either:

-Your own damn fault for letting them grow that much

-The fault of some hardworking traitor botanist who fucking deserves it for all the work it takes to get vines like that.

Someday I will hijack the shuttle by becoming a plant man and making escape kudzu.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #187588

If you ever somehow manage it, sentient mantraps are utter monsters. There's no click-delay between their attacks and it's a hitscan attack so no chance of missing either. Plus they can hit you as long as they have LoS on you and they do a huge amount of damage, enough to crit in at least 4 hits. Seriously if you ever get the chance, you'll be worse than Hitler if you manage it.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #187704

I don't mind them being incredibly difficult but bring able to permanently stun multiple people through walls with hitscan attacks is just ridiculous. I'm not proposing we make them easy to kill but maybe give just a slim chance of escape.

What I had in mind was making it possible to break free of their grasp, BUT only if you remain stationary. This basically removes those bullshit situations where you're just straight up stuck against a wall for several minutes simply because the man trap moved to an area where it can't drag you to it. On top of that, the time to escape could be somewhat lengthy.

I'm not sure quite how long it should take right off the top of my head as far as seconds go but enough that if it's chomping down on you, there's no way you'll escape in time. BUT if you somehow manage to get lucky and some other poor fuck gets grabbed and the fucker starts chewing on them instead, it'd buy you just enough time to escape if they're at full health. The idea being that when it does grab people, someone's going to die, period. When you've got multiple people, it'd be like a game of russian roulette. Depending on what everyone's health is, at least one person will die. Or multiple people. Or maybe everyone if the odds are looking really bad.

Tl;dr preserve the horrifying and devastating nature of them but give a very very slim chance to escape.

As far as deciding how long it'd take to escape, I could probably work with a coder on that shit to figure it out if anyone's interested. Spawn one of the fuckers on the thunderdome and then time how long it takes to kill someone in a couple of different types of armor commonly found on the station.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #187716

Oh what it does its thing through walls? Okay that is a bit busted.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #187753

When it kills someone it should vine them up ala spiders andmake another giant flower.
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #190144

Here's my 2 cents.

Remove the stunning. Make it into a mob that attacks anyone in kudzu and replicates them into another venus man trap.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #190150

starmute wrote:Here's my 2 cents.

Remove the stunning. Make it into a mob that attacks anyone in kudzu and replicates them into another venus man trap.
I like it. Alternatively if it's possible allow them to ONLY grab people in Kudzu or within two tiles of the kudzu. Might be kind of horrifying to see your buddy get just a little too close to the kudzu only to get grabbed by a tentacle and dragged flailing and screaming into the thicket and out of sight, never to be seen again. Wearing Krav Maga gloves? Kick yourself in the face so hard your head pops off
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #190392

Have the Kudzu itself turn corpses, wrap them up ala spiders and give it a short timer before the pod 'flowers' and a man trap emerges.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #190511

Hahaha holy shit yeah these need a nerf.

>spawn on arrival shuttle
>literally the millisecond I spawn I'm attacked through the shuttle windows by a man trap
>barely escape in orange
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz