Interdepartmental cooperation is a joke. (Economics)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Interdepartmental cooperation is a joke. (Economics)

Post by Falamazeer » #205309

Here Interdepartmental features that require cooperation between more than one area are more or less just a boon for one person at a time who managed to get access to both locations

Unless there is a confirmed blob, the entire supply job two minutes after the round starts is basically engineering with shades and no responsibilities.
If the botanist and chef don't like eachother, guess what? Hamburgers for everyone, Until they run out of flour, then nothing, why? fuck you that's why.
And the only benefit anyone gets out of science is robotics getting a little research, but that's just a coincidence because RnD is on the same database and the scientist was doing their own thing.

The only exception to this rule is mining, and only because to collect their cool shit, they have to feed their ore into a machine, (Edited out bad phrase) Why is it that we have not learned from this singular success? Taking the profits from your job and feeding it into a one way drop box that can only be cashed in once so it can then be used by the members of departments that are supposed to benefit from it, Let's explore this idea with other departments for a moment, and see how we might actually encourage inter-departmental cooperation using the same methods.

Botany/Kitchen
Spoiler:
instead of feeding their own produce into the bio generator that lets you make leather goods and fertilizers, and all that other crud they want,

Why not have it be a vending machine that responds to the credits gained from supplying that little fridge vendor in between botany and kitchen? (Edit: to prevent fraud this would tag vedgetables that had already been claimed once, basically in it's examination state it would say "It has a botany stamp on it" and then it can't be used twice for more points)

If you add all that stuff that gets made from the biogenerator at the same or similar price into a vending machine that you can spend credits with. Add in a few little gadgets and doodads that people want to earn and presto, you have an economy between the two jobs! and if you add extra points to the more useful veggies, then suddenly, botanists WANT to grow the things the chef can actually USE! Because that's how he get's to buy cool shit! Better seeds, Unstable mutagen, all of it!
Chemistry/medical
Spoiler:
Silver sulfadazine patches, vials of anti toxin, other incredible healing items all go either on the desk, or in the vendor right in front of medbay, People go straight to the chemist for their healing needs, because it's faster, and most likely medbay doesn't have the good shit, unless they raid that same stash, I propose a one-way drop box econemy where the Chemist dispenses useful chems and healing supplies into the southern vendor for medical staff to pilfer and use, this builds credits that can be used in a chemistry vending machine to purchase all the things a chemist needs and wants, Perhaps a few of the chemicals would be purchased here, beakers, large beakers, spray bottles, and all the good things in life.
Science!
Spoiler:
Science has a lot of things it could be doing with it's time, I rarely see anyone outside of science benefiting from it though, but with a little re-working I'm sure we could fix that!
While I'm still trying to delve into R&d to figure out a way this could work, my early vague proposal would be working out say centcom sending free research levels for scientists achieving certain criteria, Say... If a scientist upgrades medbays sleepers, they get +1 materials research... that sort of thing. Supply ten Stunguns to the security desk dispensery, Give two bluespace beakers to the chemist checkpoint etc etc. basically, the whole tech tree would need reworked to being about dispensing upgrades to certain structures and checkpoints to build higher tech trees, rather than collecting random crap to deconstruct and such.
Last edited by Falamazeer on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Falamazeer

Re: Interdepartmental cooperation is a joke. (Economics)

Post by Falamazeer » #205312

I could have swore I put this in ideas...
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #205315

"they have to feed their ore into a machine they CANNOT access or empty"
Miners have access to the ore machine.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #205317

TheNightingale wrote:"they have to feed their ore into a machine they CANNOT access or empty"
Miners have access to the ore machine.
Bleh, Mispoke, meant to fix that, I meant the transaction only goes one way, ore goes in points come out, not like you can put in ore, pull sheets out, and then double dip your potato chips.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #205556

i always thought it would be cool if plants that were exclusively for food (like regular tomatoes, wheat, and potatoes) grew a lot faster for the chef. as it stands it usually goes:
1. chef wants to make an exotic dish and asks botany for an ingredient
2. botany absentmindedly obliges and plants the plant before ignoring it for 5 minutes while he makes more deathnettle and weed
3. plant comes out with 4 potency and does basically fucking nothing for the chef, botanist likely forgets to even let the chef have it
4. chef forgets about the ingredient and suicides/makes cooked steaks
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #205702

^
Pretty much. Botanists are either micromanaging autists or they don't do jack shit because they want to grow meme plants.
I either get "Did you use all the potatoes? Use all of them before I make you more, I can't waste resources" or 'Can I get tomato's?' "Ha, fuck you growing weed 420"
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #205794

kill all botanists except reed/daisy/lola tbqh.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current