Less to no attack messages in chat, replaced by visuals.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Less to no attack messages in chat, replaced by visuals.

Post by kevinz000 » #219364

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Less to no attack messages in chat, replaced by visuals.

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219397

I can't tell you how many antags I've dunked because I knew who they were thanks to chat logs, this is a terrible idea
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219401

WAIT IT'S NOT A PREFERENCE OPTION?

THE FUCKING IMBECILE CODERS STRAIGHT UP JUST FUCKED ME. GOOD LUCK OBSERVANT HOS TRYING TO DUNK CRIMS, YOU CAN'T IDENTIFY WHO'S BEATING THE CAPTAIN BECAUSE WHEN YOU APPROACHED THEY RAN BEFORE YOU COULD EXAMINE

GOOD FUCKING JOB YOU DEGENERATE IDIOTS, FIRST CLOTHES GETTING DELETED NOW THIS
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #219406

Shadowdimento is scrubbing the floor and talking to himself
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #219408

Would it be possible to split combat log and chat log? This would solve the spam problem.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #219409

Being able to see the messages within 3 tiles is more than enough for me to be happy with the change
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #219411

ThIs is going to make joining an existing conflict retardedly difficult. It will be a mess for players to deal with, and it really doesn't make any fucking sense
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #219414

I think its a good idea yet fucking stupid at the same time.
We're still miles ahead of other codebases with attack animations, so this starts to make more sense the more detailed they get.
Round a corner for a split second and know immediately that Grey McShirtface is getting clubbed in the left arm with a turned off stunbaton by Toolbox Smashstein out of the corner of your eye? Kinda dumb, but having no attack logs makes a lot of situations difficult. Though the within 3 tiles things helps that.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #219437

As security I like to stay out of melee range.

3 tiles is dangerously close from a conflict.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #219443

I'm fine with the idea, but the range far too short to be acceptable - it should be increased to 5.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219444

Why was this even needed? Does anyone here so seriously dislike IMPORTANT GAMEPLAY FEEDBACK that they'd cripple themselves just to lessen it?

And why the fuck isn't this a preference option if people actually want it so that the people who don't don't get FUCKED?
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #219450

Git good and use your eyes
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #219451

Yeah despite how our codebase will receive it this really inflicts it on all downstreams too
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #219454

Many downstreams skip out on many mechanics, though?
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #219459

many of our downstreams are hopelessly behind because they simply can't keep up with the pace of the changes in effect they've forked.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219463

Aloraydrel wrote:Git good and use your eyes
Thanks for the advice sensei, now fuck off
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #219471

Sligneris wrote:I'm fine with the idea, but the range far too short to be acceptable - it should be increased to 5.
Yeah, if it was 5 or even 7 tiles, it would be much better
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219474

Seconded
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #219475

ShadowDimentio wrote:I can't tell you how many antags I've dunked because I knew who they were thanks to chat logs, this is a terrible idea
This is why paranoia died. Everyone wants perfect information at all times.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #219476

It would be interesting if we could implement a system where the range you get text feedback for depends on which direction you're facing. EG events happening in front of you have a range of 7 while behind you is 3 or 2 with a mid range for peripheral events
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #219481

TrustyGun wrote:
Sligneris wrote:I'm fine with the idea, but the range far too short to be acceptable - it should be increased to 5.
Yeah, if it was 5 or even 7 tiles, it would be much better
it can't be 7, that'd be identical to how it is now.

15x15 view:
7 turfs east, 7 turfs west + centre turf, 15x15
私は完璧
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219484

Kor wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:I can't tell you how many antags I've dunked because I knew who they were thanks to chat logs, this is a terrible idea
Oh one hand I agree, on the other it's a little too fucking late for this to be relevant. Paranoia died when parasting was gutted in favor of immortality and armblades.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #219489

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:
Oh one hand I agree, on the other it's a little too fucking late for this to be relevant. Paranoia died when parasting was gutted in favor of immortality and armblades.
you see, its funny because you actually think that shit-show of a mechanic was actually adding to paranoia, when all it did was make players anti-social freaks (if they weren't already lets be honest here).
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #219494

Kor wrote:This is why paranoia died. Everyone wants perfect information at all times.
Exactly but we need to valid the antags faster so remove it :^)
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219523

MMMiracles wrote:you see, its funny because you actually think that shit-show of a mechanic was actually adding to paranoia, when all it did was make players anti-social freaks (if they weren't already lets be honest here).
I played with it and people refused to let anyone get within a square of them, and that's about as close to paranoia as we get here.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #219529

Well GREAT I just got killed in revs as HOS last round because I didn't get a single message when someone pulled a syringe gun and used it on me untill I was already dead.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #219542

wow you must really suck to miss the syringe message
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #219552

ShadowDimentio wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:you see, its funny because you actually think that shit-show of a mechanic was actually adding to paranoia, when all it did was make players anti-social freaks (if they weren't already lets be honest here).
I played with it and people refused to let anyone get within a square of them, and that's about as close to paranoia as we get here.
it was less of 'paranoia' and more of "i have to play like this because i will get killed and my corpse hidden/gibbed if i don't majority of rounds", considering traitors also had parapens.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #219623

There's always a price to be paid.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
aranamor
Byond Username: Aranamor

Post by aranamor » #219681

Golly gee, the game about ambiguous situations and sneaky murder doesn't instantly spoonfeed you the info on who's the bad guy? What a shame, how will I ever effortlessly hunt down criminal scum and enforce the law at the end of a baton now?

No but really, I'm pretty in favor of this. Murder's hard enough to get away with without stunwhoring. This at least makes it easier, and I'm prepared to deal with the consequences of it as sec or med as long as someone's smart enough to play it off to their advantage. Or, you know, I could just stuncuff both parties and figure out what happened.
Uguu Champion 2k10-2k16
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio wrote:The height of tl;dr

Bad shit happens, that's life. In the grand echelons of bad things that could happen to you, rape isn't even that bad. Honestly I'd rank it below violent assault.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #220147

I'd be in favour of a 4-tile radius but meh
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #220193

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I'd be in favour of a 4-tile radius but meh
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/21077
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.