Syndicate codeword highlighting

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Good idea?

Good idea
29%
Good idea, but ghosts shouldn't see it
41%
Bad, encourages traitor laziness.
29%

Total votes: 34

kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Syndicate codeword highlighting

Post by kevinz000 » #221935

Nevermind, Kor shot it down.
;-;
Last edited by kevinz000 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quanti
Byond Username: Killaslot

Re: Syndicate codeword highlighting

Post by Quanti » #221946

Would definitely increase the amount of traitors working together or at least recognising each other. Maybe that's a good thing or a bad thing but I like the sound of it personally. I don't think ghosts should be able to see it as non antags would be given the codewords that they might end up using, or just straight up points out who the baddies are.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #221952

When i play traitor i get stopped more often by rampant murderboners than sec, so more communication is nice in my opinion. Another effect of this is that traitors will engage more often in PDA chat, which in return will make them vulnerable to people spying on the message console.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #221960

I don't know how I feel about it... traitors working together all the time always lead to them murderboning everyone(just go back a few months when everyone actually used the syndicate key). I don't think it's needed. Plus, it may or may not end up with a bunch of people yelling random codewords to confuse the traitors.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #221968

Agreeing with lzimann, traitor cooperation 9/10 times is just two people murderboning together, and the idea of forcibly making codewords appear really big and highlighted seems really weird and OOC
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #221975

Shaps wrote:Agreeing with lzimann, traitor cooperation 9/10 times is just two people murderboning together, and the idea of forcibly making codewords appear really big and highlighted seems really weird and OOC
Think of a sleeper agent. They are activated when the shift starts and certain words trigger a response from them those words being the code words. (Also you can easily psychologically condition people to react to certain things IRL. so certain words could be conditioned to syndicate agents).

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #221978

One thing this will probably cause is: you want to work alone and just ignore the codewords, after the pr people will bitch at you for ignoring, or even ahelp that someone ignored it. More of an annoyance than an issue.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #221980

lzimann wrote:One thing this will probably cause is: you want to work alone and just ignore the codewords, after the pr people will bitch at you for ignoring, or even ahelp that someone ignored it. More of an annoyance than an issue.
That'd be quite an ic issue. If one person in a non team antag role doesn't want to cooperate they aren't obliged to work with the others. As its been currently and the past. Choice if they want to act on those codewords or not. People can suck it up not having all the traitors work together.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #221985

why do ghosts need these? What benefit outside of ghosting does highlighting these words provide?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #221998

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:why do ghosts need these? What benefit outside of ghosting does highlighting these words provide?
Ghosts see all communication, and we have rules against metagaming with the info you see as a ghost if you are brought into the round. It is a little silly to draw the line at this point.

Ghosts should see it because it lets them find the interesting players more quickly. Rounds are boring to watch unless you know who the antags are, or someone is doing something wacky. That is the benefit, finding the interesting players to watch. The benefit outside of ghosting (I assume that you are referring to the traitors themselves) is so Traitors can identify each other and either work together, or at the very least...avoid killing each other on accident.

This would not be needed if more people would just buy the radio key, it is only 2 TC...
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #222006

It's actually really easy to use codewords, you just have to listen. I don't remember how many times I've woven ALL OF THE CODEWORDS into a GIBBERISH SENTENCE on COMMON CHANNEL, and no one really gave a shit. Not security. Not other traitors.

Remember when we had space IRC in PDA's? I literally screamed over radio for people to join #syndicate and exchange codewords. Nobody fucking came.

You're not trying to solve gameplay problem but people problem.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Slettal
Byond Username: Slettal

Post by Slettal » #222009

Lumbermancer wrote:It's actually really easy to use codewords, you just have to listen. I don't remember how many times I've woven ALL OF THE CODEWORDS into a GIBBERISH SENTENCE on COMMON CHANNEL, and no one really gave a shit. Not security. Not other traitors.

Remember when we had space IRC in PDA's? I literally screamed over radio for people to join #syndicate and exchange codewords. Nobody fucking came.

You're not trying to solve gameplay problem but people problem.
I think I saw an IRC client for download in the Tablet the engineers get. But yeah, most of the time don't even buy syndicate keys.

This though is a low effort way for other antags to see "hey, there is someone I could work with". We should give it a try, PRs can always be reverted if the outcome is shit
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #222061

Leo only the real codewords get highlighted.