Blobbernauts: What the fuck is this shit

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Blobbernauts: What the fuck is this shit

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #38633

Right, so the blob can spawn blobbernauts by sacrificing factory nodes. Sure, it might seem like a good trade-off. A continuous stream of minions for one very powerful minion. I support the idea, even.

The problem is the blobbernaut's special ability. That is, if you get hit by one and you aren't wearing a fire suit, you're dead. No way to save you, no way to prevent it from happening. You just die, slowly. gg no re
What the blobbernaut does is set you on fire (apparently by injecting the people it hits with a reagent that sets people on fire). You cannot put out this fire by any means, not with fire extinguishers or by rolling on the floor. The only way to not die is to wear a fire suit 24/7 and hope the fire eventually goes away, or spend the rest of the game in space. If the blob core is nowhere near space, you're completely screwed.

I just witnessed a round where two blobbernauts killed most of the members of the deathsquad, just by setting them on fire. Only one died from brute damage (and that was mostly because of some confused friendly fire).
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Ames

Re: Blobbernauts: What the fuck is this shit

Post by Ames » #38634

I feel like everyone knows that blobbernauts set you on fire for eternity... but its just a bug right?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #38635

I was one of the deathsquad members, we were given pulse rifles and right as we got off the ship, a scientist greeted us with lockboxes for xray laser guns. Things were going great until the blob sent 2 blobbernauts.

We still managed to kill both of them, but they got 1 hit on the 3 that were breaching. Thats all it took to down 3 fully geared members was a single hit for the fire to catch. Literally nothing put it out, so we just sorta dropped into crit and got taken by the swarm of blob spores the blob sent in our direction afterwards.

in short, blobbernaut op pls nerf
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #38642

Ames wrote:I feel like everyone knows that blobbernauts set you on fire for eternity... but its just a bug right?
They shouldn't be infinite, It' may be bugged.

Edit: Nope, not bugged, the reagent does remove itself at the usual rate for reagents.
I'll lower the firestacks the reagent gives you, this is why the fire lasts (too) long.
私は完璧
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #38645

Remie Richards wrote:
Ames wrote:I feel like everyone knows that blobbernauts set you on fire for eternity... but its just a bug right?
They shouldn't be infinite, It' may be bugged.

Edit: Nope, not bugged, the reagent does remove itself at the usual rate for reagents.
I'll lower the firestacks the reagent gives you, this is why the fire lasts (too) long.
I've seen people with over 200 units of the reagent. Using reagents for this is a bit much anyway because there's no way to remove it other than stuff them under a shower until it wears off.
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #38648

How long SHOULD it last, though? Even a couple of seconds is enough to drop someone to half health, and that's not even counting the damage from the melee attacks.

The blobs shouldn't even set people on fire. Having a big moving wall that deals a shitload of damage is enough.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #38649

ExplosiveCrate wrote:How long SHOULD it last, though? Even a couple of seconds is enough to drop someone to half health, and that's not even counting the damage from the melee attacks.

The blobs shouldn't even set people on fire. Having a big moving wall that deals a shitload of damage is enough.
Believe me without the reagent they're crap.

I tested them against some of the stupid simple animals we have, and the blobbernauts lost.
The moment I added fire damage, they were able to kill humans (albeit it dummy (not simple animals this time) ones) well enough.

Again, I'll look into lowering the amount of fire stacks they give.
私は完璧
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #38661

Can you not just set them to on_fire instead of a massively stacking reagent that does it?
If they can get away long enough to stop drop and roll, that should be enough. Seeing people hopelessly roll 2 or 3 times only to succumb to the flames is kinda shit. I've been checking people's reagent contents mid-game during blob and its always 30+ of that stuff which isn't going away any time soon. They're dead unless they can find a shower nearby to stand under for the next couple minutes.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #38682

Saegrimr wrote:Can you not just set them to on_fire instead of a massively stacking reagent that does it?
If they can get away long enough to stop drop and roll, that should be enough. Seeing people hopelessly roll 2 or 3 times only to succumb to the flames is kinda shit. I've been checking people's reagent contents mid-game during blob and its always 30+ of that stuff which isn't going away any time soon. They're dead unless they can find a shower nearby to stand under for the next couple minutes.
Basically this. They were made to counter stacking armor, but their design doesn't take into account people that don't wear armor. Getting hit by these things without atmos hardsuit/being a golem essentially means you're dead gg pack it up. Medical can't do shit because you'll just burn to death no matter what treatment they give you. The burning spore shit has no cure or treatment so even medics are useless. Giving blobs counterplay vs brute resist stacking is ok I guess, but doing so by giving the blob a wall smashing 1touch dead mob is a bad way to do it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #38684

If you really want to try something interesting, make the amount of burn damage that can be applies tied to the amount of melee protection the victim is wearing somehow.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #38694

Steelpoint wrote:If you really want to try something interesting, make the amount of burn damage that can be applies tied to the amount of melee protection the victim is wearing somehow.
No, because the whole point of blobbernauts is to counter melee tanks! Instead, just have the blobbernaut punch SOAK you in the stuff instead of putting it IN you. That way, you can put people out instead of having internal napalm.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #38721

Gun Hog wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:If you really want to try something interesting, make the amount of burn damage that can be applies tied to the amount of melee protection the victim is wearing somehow.
No, because the whole point of blobbernauts is to counter melee tanks! Instead, just have the blobbernaut punch SOAK you in the stuff instead of putting it IN you. That way, you can put people out instead of having internal napalm.
That's what the reagent does Gun, it gives fire stacks, the unit of measurement for "AM I FIRE?"
私は完璧
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #38732

Still, limiting the reagents to a very small number (or, you know, just setting them on fire without any of this reagent bullshit) would probably be the best way to handle this. Otherwise it doesn't seem like it would matter how many stacks you had as long as that reagent was in your system. And apparently the reagent is going to stay in for a long time, much longer than it would take to kill someone hopped up on kelotane.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #38777

Blobbernauts really shouldn't be a thing at all.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #38793

Drenching people in something flammable and lighting them on fire once should do the the trick. This is enough of a distraction for the blobbernaughts to function.

As it is now I tend to have to ask blobs not to make more than a couple of them.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #38820

One amusing side effect of blobbernauts is they pop out of gold slime cores, and guaranteed break out of the rwalled blast door'd containment room.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #38901

Why do blobbernauts set people on fire? There's nothing about the sprite that communicates to the player "this thing will set you on fire".
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #38916

I believe it's "acid" that uses the fire sprite.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #39013

So the idea of them is to counter armor... we already HAVE a pre-existing solution for this though. Cryosting (or so I'm told) is more severe, based on armor. The blobnaut could do the same thing, or something similar.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #39019

Actually cryosting is more intense against thermal protection because it works both ways. The insulation keeps warmth out so the cold inside you is more deadly.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #39060

Uhh... they're not using the hell fire reagent are they?
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #39068

Malkevin wrote:Uhh... they're not using the hell fire reagent are they?

Code: Select all

+/mob/living/simple_animal/hostile/blobbernaut/AttackingTarget()
+	..()
+	if(isliving(target))
+		var/mob/living/L = target
+		if(L.reagents)
+			L.reagents.add_reagent("spore_burning", 10) 
Nah, they use burning spores.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #39093

What if we had the factory tile have a wind up for blobbernaut? Like you commit the points and the factory blob starts flashing or something and it's up to the crew to either try and rush to the factory node for the kill or get out of the way of the impending kool-aid blob.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #39100

Replace it with an acid spit that removes armour, so a combination of blobbernauts and normal blob zombies can be an effective attack
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #39107

I hope you're suggesting that it removes armor values and not actual armored exosuits. Then it'd become impossible to exploit the blob's biggest weakness: space.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39117

ExplosiveCrate wrote:I hope you're suggesting that it removes armor values and not actual armored exosuits. Then it'd become impossible to exploit the blob's biggest weakness: space.
Or rather, it would be impossible to counter the blob's greatest ally: space
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #39197

I fucking told them not to do it, they went ahead and did it anyway.

I've no idea why coderbus was so into "set on fire" idea, it's not like we don't have other means of penetrating melee armor.

It doesn't even make any sense. Blob is weak to fire.

If you release plasma, blobbernauts will ignite it and that makes zero sense.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #39232

This is my fault, I was the one who originally pushed for blobs having some kind of counter for lolaugsriotsuittricordgg. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix this, beyond jacking the cost up EVEN MORE.

Acid spit might be interesting.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #39239

Nerf the armor suits I guess, some of them are pretty ridiculous in strength because their values were never changed after how the armor damage absorbtion system was changed
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #39241

Malkevin wrote:Nerf the armor suits I guess, some of them are pretty ridiculous in strength because their values were never changed after how the armor damage absorbtion system was changed
I tried to adjust the values down, it was closed.

Blame Aran.
iyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #39242

Or give blobbernauts a brute+toxin melee, the idea being that they are injecting you with poison. Gets around armour without being completely bullshit. Dyvolene is easy to produce, and this forces whoever the blobbernauts hit back to medbay without making them forever on fire like they do now.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #39243

As I said prior.

Can we make it that a Blobbernaut deals a base amount of 20 burn damage per hit as well as knockback. However the attack also deals additional damage up to a cap of 50/60 burn damage.

The ratio we can use is 2:1, for ever two points of armour one point of burn damage is applied.

For example, a Security Officer wearing a armour vest (50 melee) is hit. In addition to the base 20 burn damage he will also suffer 25 additional damage for a total of 45 burn damage. As well as being knocked back.

It would make Blobbernauts a nut cracker.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39247

iyaerP wrote:Or give blobbernauts a brute+toxin melee, the idea being that they are injecting you with poison. Gets around armour without being completely bullshit. Dyvolene is easy to produce, and this forces whoever the blobbernauts hit back to medbay without making them forever on fire like they do now.
Probably not back to medbay. If a 'naut injects enough toxin you probably need treatment on scene or you'll die before you get to medbay. Something to finally get those MDs out of medbay in a blob round I guess.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #39253

While this PR does not apply to blobbernauts, https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/5512
The reasoning is to eventually swap "fire bullshit" with "The more I slap you, the worse your armour gets you powergaming f*ck"
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #39254

Remie Richards wrote:While this PR does not apply to blobbernauts, https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/5512
The reasoning is to eventually swap "fire bullshit" with "The more I slap you, the worse your armour gets you powergaming f*ck"
Seems good.

There should be a way to gauge how much armour protection a item still has. Sort of like how if a vest is reduced to half efficiency (25 versus 50) then it states that the armour is looking grim.

Last thing anyone wants is to discover that Riot Suit only offers 3 melee protection.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #39256

Steelpoint wrote: There should be a way to gauge how much armour protection a item still has. Sort of like how if a vest is reduced to half efficiency (25 versus 50) then it states that the armour is looking grim.
Atm, any "damaged" armour has the line " it looks slightly melted..." added to it's description, as long as it's protection values are not the original, they show up as "slightly melted"
私は完璧
iyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #39494

Just to illustrate how BULLSHIT these fucking mobs are right now, I just was in a blob round, where as a sec officer, I got hit by a blobbernaut in medbay. Within 10 seconds of going into crit, I was put into a cryo tube, and STILL DIED. I don't see how it can be more clearly a problem than that, when you can't even survive with INSTANT treatment.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #39497

Ugh why was the spores dealing toxins pull rejected again?

Oh yeah Aran thought toxin was too complex a thing to counter so here we are with an INTENSE BURNING SENSATION with only one probs unintentional counter.
Aranclanos wrote:I don't think toxin damage is really fun to play with, standard medkits don't heal them and neither the sleeper.
Oh well maybe we will get cool armour melting blobs eventually, unless Aran rejects it for being too rough then lets armour deletion slide instead.

Edit: Oh to be clear I am glad blobs are killing everyone horribly. I just realize my dreams of total blob rampage 24/7 would not be nice for other people.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39499

Just got out of a functional solo run in what was supposed to be a two blob round. Literally the only thing I was concerned about was the atmos rigsuit and the CE suit (I never even saw the CE). Everything else was essentially a skate.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #39518

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/5512
With this pull about armour-melting acid could we just make them spray acid
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #39529

Why not just get gud at chemistry and make dermaline with kelotane pills for everyone?
ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #39533

Because even then fire damage still outpaces the healing you get from kelotane, so unless you shove even more chemicals in there, you're still dead.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #39534

>Countering the blob with riot armor
>Powergaming

Muh sides
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #39549

Better nerf that riot armor then. :^)
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39576

Jacquerel wrote:https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/5512
With this pull about armour-melting acid could we just make them spray acid
As neat as the acid changes are, I think this also applies to hardsuits/spess suits. In that case you're just going to have blobs spamming these things anyway and ggnore ing anyone that fights them in an area exposed to space. And blobs almost universally expose themselves to space.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #39604

We're trying to make some interesting play and counterplay interaction here, so could you not derail the thread thanks. ;)
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #39605

Hopefully destructible space suits would open the way for ordering/building the drat things.

Fixed number of loyalist space suits. We have a ton of them but mechanically treat them like fucking lostech. Gross.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #42920

Just a notice that these things are still obnoxious. I've been in two rounds with them and as soon as you get hit by it you basicly die. I went under a shower, drank healing regents but I still died.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42943

Steelpoint wrote:Just a notice that these things are still obnoxious. I've been in two rounds with them and as soon as you get hit by it you basicly die. I went under a shower, drank healing regents but I still died.
I'm honestly surprised that after all this time and the general uproar about it, not a single thing has been done about them.
iyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #42961

Because when coders have something that they like, it is protected to the point of insanity. When there is something that players like, but coders don't, it is gone faster than a fucking bullet.