Super Matter Generator

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Super Matter Generator

Post by NikNakFlak » #53124

Bottom post of the previous page:

A couple of bugs that I discovered that i'm too lazy to make a bug report for
  • I built a super matter thingy on centcom and it blew up and radiated the station. It did this on a separate Z-level. I have not tested it, but this might imply that no matter where the super matter crystal is, if it detonates, there is no minimum safe distance.
  • It can disintegrate your hallucinations and it is hilarious.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #53135

That's the same as centcomm/head annoucements etc working across the universe.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #53136

I can't test this now but from what I remember hiding in a locker protects you from supermatter hallucinations. So if you see the instability messages, duck into a locker.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #53140

Saegrimr wrote:
deathhoof wrote:I think singulo needs to be removed entirely since it makes no physics sense.
Don't... Please don't.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #53282

deathhoof wrote:I think singulo needs to be removed entirely since it makes no physics sense. The temporal effects of a singularity are tremendous. So much so that every second on the station would be 10 or so years in a place away from any singularities. Not even to mention the fact that a singularity irl would not shrink in size without accelerated particles swung at it. I could go on about how the singulo is a disgrace to science fiction, but instead I'm just gonna say this: Although supermatter would also be cartoonish, it makes a lot more sense than singulo. It makes more sense for the crew to be able to harness supermatter from a dorf star or something, rather than spontaneously cause a cataclysmic space ripping supernova within the confines of a silly little singularity machine shaped like a coil.
Congradulations! You have revealed that not only do you hate fun, you have at best a hollywood-level understanding of physics!

On topic, I'd rather the singularity than the supermatter, but have no objection to having both. Singularity is just so classic SS13.

For the supermatter cooling issue, have you tried having the scrubbers set to max output pressure, and feeding into a pipe that uses a volume-flow-pump rather than just a normal pressure pump?
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #53306

because summarizing something for the sake of not sounding like a know-it-all asshole means I have little understanding of physics.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #54409

So my original, hand crafted diagram of howtosupermatter Image didn't seem to be enough, to I went into the pile of shit called dream maker and made up an approximation.

This is what I have made in game (well, never quite finished it, because condoms and traitors cause shuttle calls), and below in space there would be a loop of H/E pipes, but I couldn't find the corner pieces in the editor, so fuck it.

It's pretty much as minimalist as I could make it.

You pump N2 in via canister, which directly connects into the H/E loop, so you need a fair bit of N2, especially after cooling is considered.The cold N2 is pumped into the vacuum of the containment chamber, up to a certain pressure (high pressure effects the shard).
Inside containment, the shard (which has been emittered through the glass airlock a dozen times or so), generates heat, O2 and plasma. Because the H/E pipes go straight through the chamber, it helps maintaining a low temp inside without adding more gas.
Other vents suck air out, and a filter filters any N2 out back into the H/E loop, and spaces the waste gas.

If the shard starts overheating for some reason, you can panic syphon, or open the exterior airlock (ideally the AI would do this) to empty the chamber.

If anyone wanted to turn this into a round start sort of setup, then obviously it could be much better, with shit like shutters and a mass driver, maybe more gay 'safety' such as enclosing the emitter behind shutters so radiation doesn't leak out through the glass airlock and fry people walking into the room. Also power from the collectors would need to specifically go to the SMES's, where as this one is configured to have everything linked to the grid so meh.

Also I have the tables there to make sure gas can't nudge the shard around.
Last edited by lumipharon on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #54446

That design is pretty similar to what I've got set up right now. I guess I'll work on finishing this design.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #54454

Cool, so turns out I compleatly missed the part where your only meant to shoot the supermatter around 12 to 20 times, not leave the emitter on forever.

Anyway, my SM Generator room design is now fully operational, I'll tidy it up and map out the new maintenance it replaces and then put up a PR.
Spoiler:
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #54458

RG4 wrote:INB4 Sing combining with Super Matter for amazing results.
Electrified doors will be glorious once more.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #54547

Your design is really large. Just move the spare N2 canisters to where the top right room is, and turn the bottom right chamber into a 2 tall corridor with the rad suits/toxin medkit.

Also you have air injectors and scrubbers?
I can't say I know how injectors work 100%, because they're not player contructable, but I was under the impression they just shat out as much air as they could. I don't know the exact figure, but on bay atleast, high pressure causes further activation - they have it no higher than 500kpa, afaik.
The scrubbers can't scrub oxygen or N2 (unless on panic siphon), so you'll be stuck with an increasing amount of oxygen which will result in eventual (but probably fucking slow) overload. That's why I have 6 vents. Three vents configured to maintain 500 kpa pressure in the room (injecting N2), and the other 3 configured to suck air out.

I'm not sure how much of an issue it would actually be, but having windows like that fucks the airflow a fair bit, since they only inject/extract air from the tile they are on, and you've got it all choked. Hence my ghetto table solution.

Also I can't tell exactly because you have floor tiles down, but it appears that you have a single filter, which is filtering a gas into space. But the supermatter creates two waste gases (oxygen and plasma), so if you want to have only one filter, it needs to filter N2, back into the loop, and space the rest.