Temperature Gun is utter shit how do we fix it

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Temperature Gun is utter shit how do we fix it

Post by Bombadil » #62175

It can't even kill slimes as effectively as a extinguisher and you need to load an entire clip into someone to really do any damage to a human being.

Perhaps split it into

Cold Gun & Heat Gun

Idea 1:
Cold Gun
Requires:
Materials 6
Power/Energy 6
Weapons 5

Cold Guns can instantly lethal slimes in 1 hit.

Causes 5-10 burn damage and causes someone to turn to the next stage in being cold. So its like 3 shots to get them to their coldest.

Needs Diamond, Silver and Gold to create.

Comes with Snazzy Goggles

Heat Gun:
Requires:
Materials 6
Energy/Power 6
Weapons 5
Plasma 4

Needs of plasma(Large Amount), uranium, gold, and silver to create
Does 10 burn damage and has 15 shots. Essentially it's a weaker laser but has 3 extra shots. Increases heat stages

Comes with snazzy goggles

Idea 2:

Or just keep the cold gun idea and leave heat guns to flamethrowers
Last edited by Bombadil on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: Temperature Gun is utter shit how do we fix it

Post by danno » #62194

A fire extinguisher can technically lethal a slime in one hit, still seems inferior.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Pennwick

Post by Pennwick » #62201

I don't see a reason why any scientist would use these over laser cannons which are easier to research and do more damage directly.

I do kind of like the base ideas though. Perhaps they could become improvised weapons that are crafted together out of parts. Depending on what parts you can aquire the gun performs better or worse. Least quality would be a Microwave/cryo tank board, modified welder, a rod, a micro laser, a capacitor, a power cell and some wire. If you upgraded the parts you'd get more shots, higher damage, and more heating/chilling effect.

Issue is this makes it a harder to restrict weapon and while a non-scientist would still be able to nick parts for the weaker levels, science has access to the best stuff and isn't likely to share.

Whatever happens though the ice gun needs to have settings that cause it to shout ice puns with every pull of the trigger.
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #62202

The Temperature Gun should be more of a tool then a weapon, The weaponized versions should be the Heat Ray and Ice Beam.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #62203

You made this after watching this week's Flash episode, didn't you? that said, I fully support this idea. Temp gun in a joke.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #62207

Lower research levels for it. Make it fire a grenade-like area of effect of cold/heat.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #62208

We like references right? We totally like references enough to fuck with usability, right.

Anyway, how about giving them a toggleable alt-fire that makes them leave persistent effects? Maybe a little orb that radiates heat/cold or whatever. Would be useful for, say, reducing the level levels of heat in a hallway after a fire, or reheating breached room without running back and forth for heaters or whatever.

The freeze rayImeanBlaze Gun could totally also be used to make frozen ground for slips, though that's probably robust and something you don't want. The heat rayImeanGlacier Gun could meanwhile be perhaps used to instantly cook items, or something, maybe? Would be a neat thing for the chef to cook via gun, though I suspect that would be hideous and fiddly to implement I guess.

AoE effect seems like a bad idea if it's originally for killing Metr-- I mean slimes, right? Wanna precision wipe out one critter, not the pen of them.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62244

So long as these things can go through windows...
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62257

iyaerP wrote:You made this after watching this week's Flash episode, didn't you? that said, I fully support this idea. Temp gun in a joke.
Well I wanted a decent cold gun since forever and the fact we had fucking Parkas to go with it doesn't hurt

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62258

Pennwick wrote:I don't see a reason why any scientist would use these over laser cannons which are easier to research and do more damage directly.

I do kind of like the base ideas though. Perhaps they could become improvised weapons that are crafted together out of parts. Depending on what parts you can aquire the gun performs better or worse. Least quality would be a Microwave/cryo tank board, modified welder, a rod, a micro laser, a capacitor, a power cell and some wire. If you upgraded the parts you'd get more shots, higher damage, and more heating/chilling effect.

Issue is this makes it a harder to restrict weapon and while a non-scientist would still be able to nick parts for the weaker levels, science has access to the best stuff and isn't likely to share.

Whatever happens though the ice gun needs to have settings that cause it to shout ice puns with every pull of the trigger.
Well you still do rely on mining to get you materials.

Ice Gun has you get a freezer board, matter bin, manipulator, and power cell for basic cold shots. Max would be pico manip, super matter bins, a diamond(a full diamond) and some silver inside

Heat gun needs atleast 1 brick of plasma 5 for max power same materials as before but heater board and no diamond but you still some silver and uranium for max power.

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62259

danno wrote:A fire extinguisher can technically lethal a slime in one hit, still seems inferior.
Alright instantly one shots slimes

Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #62287

Give it a scatter effect.
Like the fire extinguisher but further.

Then you can be less accurate and still get a hit or two, that would make it better.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62309

Temperature Shotgun, oh baby.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #62550

Make it real simple.
Two settings: Freeze and Burn.
Shoot on freeze mode is a bit like the atmos tech sprayer thing - small AOE chill. If you hit someone who is cold enough, it freezes them solid for a bit, like a statue.
Burn mode, small AOE fireball.

Also make it hit exactly where you click, for precise shooting at feet, and to stop people from firing 20 fireballs down corridors.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #62553

I'd LIKE to see the cold gun be something we can use to more effectively fight fires. Right now, when there's a plasma fire, most of the time it just gets ignored until it goes out. Fuck that, let's get Atmos off their ass and give them a real tool to do the job with.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #76213

Vekter wrote:I'd LIKE to see the cold gun be something we can use to more effectively fight fires. Right now, when there's a plasma fire, most of the time it just gets ignored until it goes out. Fuck that, let's get Atmos off their ass and give them a real tool to do the job with.
The problem is partially because fires burn through the floors and put themselves out pretty quickly.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #76229

Atmos techs literally have a tool which instantly puts out fires and replaces the air with cool nitrogen in a 9*9 area now.

They still don't fight fires.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #76448

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Atmos techs literally have a tool which instantly puts out fires and replaces the air with cool nitrogen in a 9*9 area now.

They still don't fight fires.
What is this tool?
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #76482

Backpack watertank in Nanofrost mode.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #76486

And as a bonus it even freezes shut air vents so more plasma doesn't come in
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #76577

Speaking of the nanofrost, why hasn't someone made a more powerful/high capacity mech mounted version for the firefighting mech?
Then it might actually be (extremely rarely) useful.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #77135

lumipharon wrote:Speaking of the nanofrost, why hasn't someone made a more powerful/high capacity mech mounted version for the firefighting mech?
Then it might actually be (extremely rarely) useful.
Maybe if the freeze gun shot nanofrost rounds that turned a 3x3 area into absolute zero it would be really useful.