[POLL] Remove the superpower virus?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Should we keep DNA Aide

Yes
12%
Yes
11%
Yes
11%
No
21%
No
20%
No
20%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 188

Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

[POLL] Remove the superpower virus?

Post by Bombadil » #63073

Its still the most blatantly op virus in the game and totally fucks everything up if viro makes it airborn its essentially a griefing disease. Hulks everywhere breaking shit
Last edited by peoplearestrange on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title edit for [poll]
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Remove the superpower virus

Post by Gun Hog » #63085

If you are giving it out, you are using it incorrectly. Give it to the Geneticist and have him use it to find power blocks faster.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #63096

Gun Hog wrote:If you are giving it out, you are using it incorrectly. Give it to the Geneticist and have him use it to find power blocks faster.
That is true, but it still breaks the game entirely when the whole station is turning into hulks for 15 seconds at a time.

Either remove it entirely (genetic mutations sound more like a job for geneticists), or make it give you only one superpower that sticks with you forever or at the very least make it impossible to transmit through anything other than a syringe.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #63170

Can viros just be take OOC responsibility for literally all the bullshit that happens EVERY TIME they release a dnaide virus?

Like seriously, holy fuck, being sec when literally every shitter and his dog is randomly getting hulk and just smashing the shit out of everything is fucking gay as dicks.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #63202

Receiving superpowers because you got sneezed at is fucking stupid. Remove.

Half-measure one, make it transmittable only by blood i.e. injection (easier to keep virologists accountable).

Half-measure two, make superpowers last for a limited time, after which virus gets purged by antibodies that develop immunity (limits damages).

Or remove.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #63230

If I were to nerf this...I would make DNA Aide do the following things:
- Clean the carrier's SE
- Set the power blocks above 800 but below their manifest threshold (allowing genetics to identify the power blocks and create their own power SE from the knowledge)
- Heal cloneloss damage (meaning you could give this virus to a person instead of cryo after cloning).

Used in a heal virus, this would reduce the effects of radiation (Tox Filter heals the damage, DNA Aide prevents mutations)

In addition to this, I would majorly buff the DNA Saboteur symptom to apply one disability per cycle, until all bad blocks are active. A single disability is usually nothing more than a mild annoyance. Having several or all of them is a true nightmare that only a Changeling Geneticist has the power to inflict. Essentially, if you catch this virus and leave it untreated for 10-15 minutes, it will leave you a crippled, blind, gibbering mess.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #63267

Gun Hog wrote:If I were to nerf this...I would make DNA Aide do the following things:
- Clean the carrier's SE
- Set the power blocks above 800 but below their manifest threshold (allowing genetics to identify the power blocks and create their own power SE from the knowledge)
- Heal cloneloss damage (meaning you could give this virus to a person instead of cryo after cloning).

Used in a heal virus, this would reduce the effects of radiation (Tox Filter heals the damage, DNA Aide prevents mutations)

In addition to this, I would majorly buff the DNA Saboteur symptom to apply one disability per cycle, until all bad blocks are active. A single disability is usually nothing more than a mild annoyance. Having several or all of them is a true nightmare that only a Changeling Geneticist has the power to inflict. Essentially, if you catch this virus and leave it untreated for 10-15 minutes, it will leave you a crippled, blind, gibbering mess.
I could take this compromise if we head coders refuse to allow its removal

Feretal
Byond Username: Feretal

Post by Feretal » #63269

Can we just have it not fuck with power blocks at all? So that all the work done by geneticists isn't wasted?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #63271

Gun Hog wrote:If I were to nerf this...I would make DNA Aide do the following things:
- Clean the carrier's SE

Saboteur would be horribly OP with this change. I would just make 6 hardened, airborn variants of this and release them and the entire station is fucked/guzzling ryetlyn all day.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #63276

Feretal wrote:Can we just have it not fuck with power blocks at all? So that all the work done by geneticists isn't wasted?
Not likely considering how DNA works. Your DNA is literally just a long string of values which trigger and change off everything you set at roundstart. Powers manifesting is tucked into that string.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #63278

There is one thing that might effect that actually... The SE injector that comes with the sith bundle, it pushes the TK block above activation threshhold, and always activates it.
What I noticed however, is EVERY time that my SE has ALL FOUR powers, whether they have manifested or not, then inject the sith injector, ALL FOUR powers manfest. Every time.

I don't know how it works since I've never looked at the code for that item, but I suspect that unlike normal SE injectors it just does something along the lines of
Set TK block to aaaaa (or some shit that is above the activation level)
Force powers to manifest.

Either that or it's just a concidence.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Re: [POLL] Remove the superpower virus?

Post by mikecari » #63943

Another reason why DNA aide is shit is because it fucks over everything the geneticist has worked so hard on and deletes excess DNA.
Honestly I wish I could murderbone any virologist who releases a DNA aide virus.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #64363

This virus is shit. It should either be removed or made better somehow. Like you only get one random superpower or one of each for a limited time and then the virus goes dormant and stops mutating you. The constant mutating is irritating and 5 second hulks going on a punching spree so they can use their short term hulk is too shit.

And it shits on genetics, as mike said.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #64403

lumipharon wrote:There is one thing that might effect that actually... The SE injector that comes with the sith bundle, it pushes the TK block above activation threshhold, and always activates it.
What I noticed however, is EVERY time that my SE has ALL FOUR powers, whether they have manifested or not, then inject the sith injector, ALL FOUR powers manfest. Every time.

I don't know how it works since I've never looked at the code for that item, but I suspect that unlike normal SE injectors it just does something along the lines of
Set TK block to aaaaa (or some shit that is above the activation level)
Force powers to manifest.

Either that or it's just a concidence.
I will investigate this more fully.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #64567

That and ban people who make spreading viruses. I don't give two shits that it's positive, I don't want your retarded mix making everyone sneeze at each other for the rest of the round.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #65459

Violaceus wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:That and ban people who make spreading viruses. I don't give two shits that it's positive, I don't want your retarded mix making everyone sneeze at each other for the rest of the round.
lol
They fucking deserve it

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #65662

>all those no votes from nerds that want to keep smashing walls when viro sets it loose

Yeah no. Fuck this symptom. It kneecaps genetics, forces sec to start critting everyone who decides to start smashing the captain's room walls or whatever, and adds nothing of value to the round. Its literally a negative status effect labeled as a beneficial.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #65693

The vote is for "Should we keep DNA Aide".
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #65713

Yeah its kind of bad that the thread title is"remove" and the poll title is "keep".
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #65732

Superpower virus also makes it impossible for security to act at all, because you know the people being arrested will get hulk and break the cuffs, and then run off, or worse

Once the virus containing it hits stage 5, it should entirely cure itself and whichever superpower you get to keep is random, so genetics can use it to speed up research by finding people with powers, and it doesn't make everyone smash walls everywhere like maniacs (hulks abusing it can easily be de-hulked and won't get the virus again, unlike current version where getting de-hulked makes no difference)