Cooking Overhaul (PR #7572) feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Cooking Overhaul (PR #7572) feedback

Post by Incomptinence » #67926

Bottom post of the previous page:

I simply do not understand how people think that cooking needs to follow STRICT recipes to prepare food.

Not everything is a cake (and even then there is a dazzling variety of cakes) how do you make something into a stew or broth? BOIL IT.

You can put almost anything in an oven and as long as it doesn't crisp and burn someone can eat it. Someone may not want to in actual life but we don't simulate a sense of taste.

Although that might be a good idea so we don't have absolute morons challenging the realism of chopping up vegetables or putting perfectly normal edible produce into boiling water.

Goofball cooking was more realistic than the recipe system and it had gummi bears the size of people. A perfectly possible thing considering the record holding gummi candy was half a metric ton but no buzzwords were spouted by ignorant sachet fed lard asses who couldn't imagine anything bigger than the tine candies that they buy in plastic bags to shovel down their throat so fast a similar mass probably forms in their gullet.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #67928

That started off really knowlegeable then descended into incomprehensible madness.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #67936

I am not complaining about extra work by any means, i think the chef having more to do is honestly a good thing. I realize that the recipe system we have now is not particularly realistic, but if cooking is completely freeform then we lose the chef prestiege of making the really cool/rare/hard to make factor for complicated recipes like aeser salad, golden apple tarts and stew and stuff.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #67965

Wyzack wrote:I am not complaining about extra work by any means, i think the chef having more to do is honestly a good thing. I realize that the recipe system we have now is not particularly realistic, but if cooking is completely freeform then we lose the chef prestiege of making the really cool/rare/hard to make factor for complicated recipes like aeser salad, golden apple tarts and stew and stuff.
The fixed recipes, unlike custom food, has 'bonus' reagents on top of the reagents from its ingredients (currently mostly vitamins) making those recipes 'better' than custom food. (And that's why my PR also nerfs the vitamin amounts in grown vegetables to make sure high potency growns aren't better than actual recipes)
The speed of creating new foods will improve every time you increase the number of units of ingredients as well. I think raising the ingredient limits to support a level slightly higher than the current would be good.
Yeah, after doing ththat time experiment I think I should increase the limit to 30 items, because I actually hit the limit while trying to make 4 enchiladas in one go.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #75127

I have been enjoying this overhaul. I used to dislike the previous, unnaturally colored custom foods, but having the resulting item display different, matching colors for the added ingredients is a really good solution. Now there's finally a reason to grow things like cabbage or whitebeet.