Hull breaches don't get repaired properly

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Hull breaches don't get repaired properly

Post by Amnestik » #92581

Title says it all really. Hull breaches are too time consuming and finicky to fully repair. Most only get the cursory plating and air canister treatment, which leads to areas of the station remaining uninhabitable and non-functional. Bombs are an automatic shuttle call, due to the lag, danger and unemployment they cause.

How can we fix this?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Hull breaches don't get repaired properly

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #92586

Give engineers a Blueprint Overlay Device, so they can see where all the wires, cables, and pipes used to go
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #92607

Or add this thing as a mode to the engineering scanner goggles.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #92608

That's actually a good idea, one of the biggest problems I faced when I was new to engineering was that I had no idea where to put things when repairing sections, and by giving a pre-made layout to engineers via their scanner goggles than this would go a long way in helping them and making the idea of fixing hull breaches more feasible to do.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #92619

Or re-simplify floor placement again.

It was mostly made two step so people would not make huge buildings in space, lagging the game. As a consequence people take too long repairing breaches too and it is almost not worth bothering with by the time you are done it is called.

Or make bombs leave the girders behind I dunno.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #92654

Could we also add in construction methods for blast shutters, console buttons etc.
Stuff like this, once it gets blown up, never works again for the rest of the round
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #92660

Akkryls wrote:Could we also add in construction methods for blast shutters, console buttons etc.
Stuff like this, once it gets blown up, never works again for the rest of the round
It'd be nice if you could use a multitool to link the buttons to something (like telecomms).

Secure lockers would be good too. How about:

Add a sheet of plasteel to any closed, non-secure closet to turn it into an unfinished secure locker assembly. (Weld to remove the plasteel.)
Add five cable coils to this to make a wired secure locker assembly. (Wirecut to remove the coils.)
Add airlock electronics to this to make a finished secure locker assembly. (Crowbar to remove the electronics.)
Screw the electronics in with a screwdriver to make a secure locker, locked with the settings set on the electronics. (Screwdriver whilst open to unscrew the electronics.) This prompts a pop-up where you can select the locker's name (e.g. 'contraband locker') and appearance (e.g. 'head of security').
Spoiler:
To construct: Two sheets of metal (closet); plasteel; five cable coils; airlock electronics; screwdriver.
To deconstruct: Open; screwdriver; crowbar; wirecutters; welder; welder.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #92663

One of the problems is space wind throwing you into space making you unable to place girders until there is no air left
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #92664

Magboots should protect you against space wind. (I've found the best way to combat this is to use the RPD to place down two disposals chutes outside the breach; if it's just one you'll push it out of the way and follow it yourself.)

| .............. In which X is the smart Engineer
| .............. and the O's are the disposals chutes
X O O ........ Usually the Engineer would be dragged out
| .............. But the disposals chutes say otherwise
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #92665

Then get rid of space wind.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #92666

I quite like space wind.
I play Boris Pepper.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #92680

space wind is fine but its stupid that wearing a jetpack with stabillity control on or magboots don't work against it.

Also why doesn't maint have air vents? one carp and it stays decompressed, I get that its not a public area, but surely you are expected to BREATHE when working there.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #92700

Amnestik wrote:Title says it all really. Hull breaches are too time consuming and finicky to fully repair. Most only get the cursory plating and air canister treatment, which leads to areas of the station remaining uninhabitable and non-functional. Bombs are an automatic shuttle call, due to the lag, danger and unemployment they cause.

How can we fix this?
Remove shuttle calls.
Remove the AI.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #93200

> he hasn't memorized all wire and pipe placements

Seriously though just rip up the surrounding floor if it isn't a maxcap and join shit together until it works.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #93316

i don't know if the blueprint thing is necessary, any good engineer can humpty-dumpty a piece of the station back together. it doesn't have to be exactly like it used to be. real obstacle to efficient repairing is number of engineers/engiborgs (often the station has very few of them, for a number of reasons) and the 'why bother' generated by shuttle calls the instant something is damaged. to be fair it's getting better now, as fastmos actually allows repairing the air of even really pressurized / unpressurized rooms in a reasonable timespan, thank god. however i still think there's an overtendency to shuttle call as soon as a single bomb goes off anywhere, and it's aggravating as an engiborg to spend 10 minutes fixing the crater that used to be security only to realize that the shuttle was called for flimsy reasons and no one bothered to recall it, wasting all that effort.

the other problem i think is that most engineers don't know much besides "routine" engineering. they know how to singulo or solar but as for patching atmos pipes, disaposal pipes, the floor, windows and the electrical grid they've rarely done it, if at all for the above reason(s)
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #93322

Make specific emergencies the jurisdiction of the head most responsible. Everyone dying? HoS/CMO. Sing loose? CE/RD (because BoH). Bombs destroying shit? CE/HoS. So on. I've been demoted from CE before for recalling a shuttle that was called for a loose sing that fucked off into space. Not for the sing getting loose, but for saying "we're actually fine; there's no emergency." Even worse is when I've had a completely competent team rebuild breaches perfectly, and the shuttle staying called because I didn't go to the bridge immediately. I understand the whole chain of command thing, but the captain really should be getting an expert opinion before declaring certain emergencies.
Players can and will create their own fun.