REMOVE SHOTGUNS FROM OPS

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

REMOVE SHOTGUNS FROM OPS

Post by Tunder » #93051

REMOVE SHOTGUNS FROM OPS JESUS FUCK

THEY LEAD TO TEAMKILLING EVERY SINGLE OPS ROUND

EVERY

SINGLE

ROUND

Whoever came up with this gem of an idea didn't playtest, and they didn't run it by the player base. I've seen a minimum of two Ops die to friendly fire in each of the last four I've been on.

It's shit, shotguns are unwieldy at best, but when coupled with the insipid unrobustness of the average player it leads to one retard mowing down his entire team in a single drum.

REMOVE IT, GIVE US EGUNS OR CR-20S BACK
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: REMOVE SHOTGUNS FROM OPS

Post by Scones » #93053

they're really good, jobban shit ops and crank the client age restrictions to 6 monthes

(also nuke suits really should have crazy high bullet resist to mitigate these situations, the crew is highly unlikely to use lethal bullets against them anyways)
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #93061

Scones wrote:they're really good, jobban shit ops and crank the client age restrictions to 6 monthes
One of our suggestions is a matter of coding and will work, the other is competing with admin laziness and their labeling any issues 'IC' and will not.

I've been teamkilled by other Ops twice now, and the admins haven't done shit.

That means we have to change the guns.

Also, Ops shuttle doesn't even have a fucking bandage yet.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #93064

i ded pls nerf
私は完璧
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #93066

Remie Richards wrote:i ded pls nerf
No, I not only see Ops go down into crit or die every round I play, but every round I spectate where there is any actual gunfighting between the ops and crew.

The shotgun is very simple: Don't use it if anyone is standing next to you or your target. But idiocy knows no bounds, and there is really no reason shotguns were put in over eguns or CR-20s anyway.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #93080

to be fair i see a lot of dumb ops shoot each other too
I play Boris Pepper.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #93081

It's not an issue with the shotgun.

It's an issue that the default ammo changed from taser slugs to buckshot in wake of pap's stun changes
Buckshot has huge ass spread, and so basically hit anything and everything in the direction you shoot.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #93086

Give them default taser rounds, with solid slug, buckshot and dragonsbreath options for TC?
Scones

Post by Scones » #93087

I was told many times during my run as admin to ban people who fuck over their team as ops

It's usually the standing next to you bit that people don't understand, and this goes for shooting anything in SS13 (Seen so much sec laser friendly fire from adjacents)
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #93093

Buckshot (and even worse, dragons breath), is really unwieldy to use. If you're in front of your team it's fine, but the moment a real fight happens, and people start moving around, it becomes real hard to line up shots where you're not going to set your team mates on fire and shit.

The other issue with all incendiary ammo after the FIRETRAIL change, is you can't move forwards while using it, or you set yourself on fire.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93097

Hey, since eguns are shit now with disablers, why don't we make an old egun with stun/laser and sprite it to look evil and give it to the syndies instead of shotguns (in other words give syndies eguns back)?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #93123

Because energy guns aren't really a syndie thing (other the e-bow which is energy only in name really). It also means emp's wreck them, and powersink inhibit their recharging.
The guns themselves are great, it's just any sort of buckshot pretty much lends itself to easy friendly fire.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #93134

I like the ballistic theme. One nice thing Pap did was giving ops more of their own theme.

An ammo change is probably in order though to solid slug or taser round. This is a team antag having buckshot spray all over by default that is silly of course there are more accidents than normal.

A cool ops item to buy would be an intelligent ammo clip that refills itself by eating metal and can morph between ammo types. Fuck I just took a page out of Invisible War's book please help me.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #93203

the ammo used to be stun slugs, just change it back or to a ballistic slug / dragonfire / whatever instead of the pellets
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93207

lumipharon wrote:Because energy guns aren't really a syndie thing (other the e-bow which is energy only in name really). It also means emp's wreck them, and powersink inhibit their recharging.
The guns themselves are great, it's just any sort of buckshot pretty much lends itself to easy friendly fire.
That's why I'm saying retheme them to be more suited to syndicate style. If the only thing standing between ops and eguns is something cosmetic, change the cosmetics.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #93213

Ballistics is the syndie thing, energy guns is an NT thing. That's why we changed to shotguns in the first place.

There's no issue with the gun itself, it's just the current default ammo does not lend itself to team play.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #93219

>I got merk'd by another syndie, please remove

Paprika attitude there cap'n

Cranky's advice: git gud

Okay, on a less shitty note, really it comes down to whether we want to revert something because people are fucking up with it or not. I don't think it's nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #93223

Vekter wrote:>I got merk'd by another syndie, please remove

Paprika attitude there cap'n

Cranky's advice: git gud

Okay, on a less shitty note, really it comes down to whether we want to revert something because people are fucking up with it or not. I don't think it's nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

I play a lot. So if I notice shit, it tends to be on a wide scale. I see scattergun teamkilling most Op rounds nowadays.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #93238

I'll givee ops slug clips as standard if you promise to stop using extreme hyperbole in thread titles.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #93245

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I'll givee ops slug clips as standard if you promise to stop using extreme hyperbole in thread titles.
N-never.

But if you toss in an ops shuttle bandage I'll think about it :^)
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #93342

I think tunder is right on this one, I did my best on a "clown ops" round and to be careful with the spray, we were in the teleporter room trying to talk a guy into pulsing the bolts so we could emag into the caps room when someone started shooting, I stepped into the hall , tossed a viscerater behind the sec team, and that was the end of my usefulness, As everyone jockeyed for position to be in a good line of fire with mobility to sidestep, I wound up peppering my teamates, and I wasn't the only one, By the end of the firefight, three of us were in crit, it was especially bad due to no real armor.

It was a goddamn clown massacre, And I can honestly say I have learned nothing that would change the outcome of this event, the spread is too hard to see or predict, robust combat requires too much moving around for this in a team setting, we dodged into our own lines of fire.

I'll just buy the machine gun next time, the shotgun can stay in the closet, or in my armor slot for when I inevitably wind up by myself.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #93346

I'm going to be honest. Shotguns were fine with just taser slugs. They weren't lethal on their own, which sucked, but there was no friendly fire issue and you could always swap in specialized rounds or a different weapon for killshots anyway. Buckshot sucks and buckshot as default sucks more.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #93349

I really liked paprika's weapon voucher idea for ops before he got... Y'know. Just the same idea as mining vouchers except for specific types of guns/equipment for ops in addition to their TC.
Scones

Post by Scones » #93350

TechnoAlchemist wrote:I really liked paprika's weapon voucher idea for ops before he got... Y'know. Just the same idea as mining vouchers except for specific types of guns/equipment for ops in addition to their TC.
he dindu nuffin

Anyways, his surplus idea was decent; however, it was intended to be between:
- CR20
- 'surplus rifle' (Similar to that bolt-action admins can spawn)
- Grenade Launcher

But I wouldn't mind doing this for CR20/Bulldog/X, with X being something interesting, maybe random, drawing from a pool of double swords, flamers, and the LMG.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #93354

Scones wrote:
TechnoAlchemist wrote:I really liked paprika's weapon voucher idea for ops before he got... Y'know. Just the same idea as mining vouchers except for specific types of guns/equipment for ops in addition to their TC.
he dindu nuffin

Anyways, his surplus idea was decent; however, it was intended to be between:
- CR20
- 'surplus rifle' (Similar to that bolt-action admins can spawn)
- Grenade Launcher

But I wouldn't mind doing this for CR20/Bulldog/X, with X being something interesting, maybe random, drawing from a pool of double swords, flamers, and the LMG.
Unless X has a high chance of coming up garbage there's no reason it should contain high ticket items like the LMG or doubleswords.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #93464

The thing is why would you pick anything other then the c-20r?

The shotgun is a cool gun, but it's only viable because it has no cost for the gun itself, only ammo.
The c-20r has a gun cost, but it's got powerful bullets for 2 hit stuns, 20 round mags, and cheap ammo.
Bulldog mags are only 8 round or some shit, and cost just as much.

The nade launcher needs cheap nades for it to be viable, but would be neat (also hilariously dangerous to everyone including the ops).
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #93523

That's exactly the same argument I presented for the voucher system, essentially everyone would get a free c20r, meaning suddenly the game modes broken because the ops just bought 1000 TCs worth of equipment for free.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #93531

Voucher system seems pretty cool.

There's also nothing stopping new weapons being added or existing weapons being modified to give a pool of balanced voucher weapons for syndies.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #93559

The problem with the voucher system is that its giving Ops free equipment.

That by itself is not a bad thing, but the entire system would be better served by just spawning Ops with a C20r at round start as that's all they are going to take, now couple that with the free TC's they can spend on energy shields and suddenly you have a five man Ops team that can afford to arm themselves with C20rs and EShields, that's is a deadly combination.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #93583

Ok so don't include C20rs, give them a nerfed version that's more balanced like what imblyings literally just said. They already get free equipment in the form of the bulldog, this would just let them choose which piece of free equipment they want - we can balance that.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #93601

Then at that point we're just throwing subpar equipment at Ops for the sake of it, which can start to clutter things.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #93684

Just tighten the spread on buckshot. Its spread is hilarious compared to how buckshot actually works, even if we are bending the rules of ballistics for the sake of gameplay.

Its spread should really only begin after about two tiles.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #93742

That's probably the best solution honestly.
It will still be an effective anti crowd weapon, but not hitting everything in the direction you shoot at.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #93751

healing pellets new meta when

Jokes aside, shotguns are the starter primary weapon for ops and I feel it's more balanced than the Bullpups they used to get.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #93754

How many TC's did the Ops get as a whole back before the TC change where all the TC's were loaded onto one uplink?
Maybe it was more balanced simply because that while all Ops started with a c20 but they were more limited in spending tcs
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #93760

Steelpoint wrote:How many TC's did the Ops get as a whole back before the TC change where all the TC's were loaded onto one uplink?
Maybe it was more balanced simply because that while all Ops started with a c20 but they were more limited in spending tcs
That was exactly it. Ops were not given a fair shake, as the CR-20 and single TC radio were replaced with individual radios and more TC, but everything was made more expensive so Ops ended up nerfed, as I'm sure was the true intention of whoever snuck the changes in.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #93957

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9800

Gives nuke ops shotguns that fire straight
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕