Reactive Teleport Armor

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Reactive Teleport Armor

Post by Oldman Robustin » #96460

Just going to nip this one in the bud.

It needs to slow down the user like it used to. Or maybe into some crazy lategame RND armor.

I haven't used the armor or had it effect my game yet, but spectating those who have... my god. That armor is basically a recharging "get out of fail free card" for the RD. Almost certainly the best armor in the game, sitting in the goddamn RD's closet.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Reactive Teleport Armor

Post by onleavedontatme » #96463

Just to compare

When I added it:
35% block
Slowdown 1
Can put you into space

After ??? buffed it
50% block
No slowdown
cant put you on space tile

I dont want to see the slowdown back but it should be able to space you at least.

Also worth noting is that with disablers the armor is much stronger than it was against the tasers it was designed for
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #96474

Now there's a reason to aim for anything but the chest.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #96475

It is pretty powerful (if they're aiming at your chest) in terms of survivability/juking. But it doesn't (least I thin it doesn't) give you any actual damage mitigation.
But armor got nerfed anyway, so that doesn't matter.

It should definately be able to space you though, don't see why it wouldn't.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #96482

Actually because I'm a coding genious reactive armor uses riot shield code. It will block hits to any location/nullify said hit. So fully 50% of attacks will get blocked entirely.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #96486

Well, undo that shit (please.)

And, if you take suggestions from yelling assholes with no idea how to code, give taser electrodes/ion bolts a chance to overload the armour, causing cooldown without teleport.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #96552

Remove damage reduction, add spacing. Way back when I first played, the spacing both screwed me over and saved me. So much fun.
Players can and will create their own fun.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #96555

The theme of the reactive teleport armour was that it was a high risk but high reward armour to wear.

It was very dangerous to use, because while it can save your life from situations where not even the Head of Security could not survive (Less so now his armour is identical to normal armour) yet you had just as much chance of being thrown into deep space. Not only that but it fitted well with the theme of science in that this armour was highly experimental and thus dangrous.

What we have now is a 'safe' item that won't spoil your round, with there being almost no down side to not wearing it at all. Before hand there was a clear decision on if to wear it or not, with obvious and great advantages and disadvantages, now just wear the thing and suffer no real drawback.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #96588

High risk was what I intended when I buffed it. Before, no RD would wear it unless he knew he was going into a combat situation and had nothing better. It did not hold its value as a traitor target, and I admit to trading it for TC items to traitors so I could get illegal tech levels up. To me, it was worthless. At first, I did only remove the slowdown so that more RD players would wear it, and someone in the PR suggested that I up the teleport chance. I was iffy on it, but I was okayed on that.

There is a line in the code that makes the RTA prefer to avoid spacing the player (but still can if a suitable spot is not found). I do not want to put the slowdown back, as it would put it back to being vendor trash you sell to traitors for access to TC items as a non-antagonist. What if I simply removed the line that makes it check for space turfs? I did not really think about it when I first read the code.

Oh, and none of you have mentioned the player behavior based downside to wearing the RTA. It reacts to harmless projectiles and hugging, which means that assistants/clowns will troll you with it. Being trapped in walls and grills happens at times as well.

Tl;dr = Do you want me to greatly increase the chance of the RTA spacing the user if he happens to be in range of a space turf?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #96648

RTA should have 2 ranges.

One being, like, fifteen tiles. If the teleport location picked for this one is space, you get spessed. Otherwise, go to second
Second range being the current range, and can still teleport you into space
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #96666

Just make it plain random.
An invention that TRIES to space you seems really fucking retarded.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #96668

This armour is why I always hug the RD