The conversion problem

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the lowest, how do you feel about conversion gamemodes?

23%
6%
21%
23%
26%

Total votes: 47

Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

The conversion problem

Post by Xhuis » #263624

Well, it's that time of the year again. Maintainers are making up rules that don't exist, forum posts stray completely off topic when people complain about one of the cults, and OOC has never been angrier. With two new modes on the way, it's time to ask some questions about how people feel.

It's time to talk about conversion. These modes include our cults and rev right now. There's a gamemode refactor in the works and its creator insists that he's going to non-negotiably remove team antagonists in it. So, with tensions rising and people flinging insults more than ever:

How do you feel about conversion? Tell us why it's great, or tell us why it's not. Vote in the poll and share your thoughts. And elaborate! If you're going to take the time to respond, tell us why. This is not a rant thread. If you're going to whine and bitch, just don't bother. Your opinion counts here, and no matter what my opinions are, I respect the majority's will over my own.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: The conversion problem

Post by InsaneHyena » #263629

I'm fine with conversion gamemodes - some conversion gamemodes. Cult (the real cult) is my favourite, and rev is absolutely necessary for letting off steam - sometimes it's even fun out of it's own merit. But more than that - no, thanks. Team deathmatches should not be half of the gamemodes.
Bring back papercult.

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #263630

Me? I like conversion modes. It introduces a new gameplay element and keeps lethality less insane. It also lets people play antagonists now and then even if they don't roll it, and get help from others instead of apathetic admins that just link the out-of-date wiki page.

That said, it has its drawbacks, like any mode. Because people aren't willing converts, it might ruin a round. Keeping a team coordinated is a struggle, especially in a game like this, and if one person does something wrong, everyone suffers.

Oh, allow me to say something. If one mode ruins the batch for you, and you vote low (or high!) because of it, say why. I know clockcult is unpopular, so if you don't like it, say why! Just try not to derail the thread too much.
Last edited by Xhuis on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #263631

And some of us getting extremely bored with traitor/ling now that they've had the same gameplay for 2+ years. It's extremely stale whereas conversion modes (when well designed) offer much more variety due to the teamwork necessary from both sides to win as opposed to "a bunch of solo antags and lone officers run around kill each other".
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #263632

I love being forced to powergame or else I just lose the round because not participating means one of the sides just inevitably kills you.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #263633

InsaneHyena wrote:Team deathmatches should not be half of the gamemodes.
This is ultimately the issue. Rev was/is fine. The only thing that people seem to want to make are new conversion modes, though. The game falls apart when every single round is a different variant of "Sec has to kill the station before the antags overwhelm them 10 to 1."
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #263634

Xhuis wrote:I know clockcult is unpopular, so if you don't like it, say why!
1) It was created in the time when the game was bloated with conversion gamemodes. Luckily, another shit mode, gangs, were removed since then, but now you're remaking shadowlings.
2) It's so similiar to cult, it essentially is cult, just boring, bloated, overcomplicated and with slightly different fluff. Not only it offers nothing that cult doesn't offer too, it's worse at what cult offers.
3) It's centered around your snowflake god. I hate it.
Bring back papercult.

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #263636

Conversion modes are certainly overdone.

We got rev, cult gang and cult again.

I think at least one of them should be reworked to not rely on conversion.

Rev for example could perhaps be a lot more interesting if there was a fixed number of revs. That way there would be more plotting, sceming and exploiting the station and less allround deathmatch conversion carnage.

Or one of the cults could have a fixed number of cultists that simply become more powerful the more people they sacrifice.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #263637

CPTANT wrote: Or one of the cults could have a fixed number of cultists that simply become more powerful the more people they sacrifice.
Yeah, speaking of that, there was a time when cult was essentially magical nuke ops, it was called "newcult". People passionately hated it the entire time, but coders were really, really stubborn about reverting it. Then Robustin fixed the entire thing. As it is right now, cult is great. Please don't touch it.
Bring back papercult.

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #263638

InsaneHyena wrote:
1) It was created in the time when the game was bloated with conversion gamemodes. Luckily, another shit mode, gangs, were removed since then, but now you're remaking shadowlings.
2) It's so similiar to cult, it essentially is cult, just boring, bloated, overcomplicated and with slightly different fluff. Not only it offers nothing that cult doesn't offer too, it's worse at what cult offers.

Clockcult on its own isn't that bad, but it is simply yet ANOTHER conversion mode (which for some reason has FOUR different ways of converting people) and it doesn't really stand out that much from the other cult. Though the progression system is nice since we have no progression antag. I think a clockcult that focusses around that progression instead of conversion would be way more interesting.

Progression is tricky to balance since there is a large chance of either snowballing or falling flat, but that's actually even more so the case with conversion modes.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #263639

InsaneHyena wrote:
CPTANT wrote: Or one of the cults could have a fixed number of cultists that simply become more powerful the more people they sacrifice.
Yeah, speaking of that, there was a time when cult was essentially magical nuke ops, it was called "newcult". People passionately hated it the entire time, but coders were really, really stubborn about reverting it. Then Robustin fixed the entire thing. As it is right now, cult is great. Please don't touch it.

But newcult did suck balls. And it wasn't a progression mode. It was just a conversion mode but instead of cultists, you got turned into constructs. Cultists didn't unlock new power or something
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #263640

Currently there are 21 game modes in tgstation code, the current configuration only makes use of nine(!!) of them.

traitorchan 20.3%
double_agents 11.9%
traitor 15.3%
clockwork_cult 6.8%
cult 6.8%
extended 1.7%
nuclear 16.9%
revolution 10.2%
wizard 10.2%

Conversion modes currently hold about a fourth of the rounds on a well populated station. If you call it group antagonist modes and add nuke ops it raises it to about four tenths of all rounds.

Opinions abounds if this is too much percentage for that kind of thing, The loss a few non conversion modes might have bumped the numbers a bit too much in their favor.

So in short: Bring back blob and monkey.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #263641

Clockcult is the only mode that needs to go besides gang which is already pretty much gone. Clockcult has had like a year since its inception to be good and even though constant tweaks and changes it still isn't good, in fact the times where it's played it's near a complete binary: Either the cult takes over absolutely everything and everyone, or they lose instantly.

Sure, this is true of most conversion modes, but clockcult is unique in that the "starting phase" where the cult is setting up to get dangerous lasts like a fucking hour. It's awful. Conversion modes as a whole however are fine, as the only two alternatives to them are either killing everyone or avoiding everyone, both which aren't very fun.

So don't fucking rip conversion modes out of the game.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #263642

InsaneHyena wrote:
1. Valid concern. Shadowling redux won't actually need conversion, though, and it's a high investment to get conversion.
2. Validish. It does have a ton of bloat, but that's because it's designed to have a bunch of situational stuff instead of general use tools. Give me that it has cooler sprites and sounds at least!
3. Invalid! Objection! It's not my god, it's PJB's. And he's not a snowflake. The "canon" is just my headcanon. I leave actual lore up to people.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #263648

captain sawrge wrote:I love being forced to powergame or else I just lose the round because not participating means one of the sides just inevitably kills you.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #263651

Haevacht wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:I love being forced to powergame or else I just lose the round because not participating means one of the sides just inevitably kills you.
This minus the sarcasm.

Antags being actual things that influence the round instead of things you can just opt out is one of my fav parts about conversion modes.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #263652

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Haevacht wrote:
This minus the sarcasm.

Antags being actual things that influence the round instead of things you can just opt out is one of my fav parts about conversion modes.
That already exists in the form of wizard and ops though.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #263669

Conversion modes are fine as long as they don't dominate the rotation. Removing all of them completely is pure fucking autism.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #263670

I like conversion modes sometimes. Some of my favourite rounds have been conversion modes.

But just because I order chocolate cake for desert doesn't mean I want my steak and salad slathered in chocolate syrup.

And if I enjoy warthog races in Halo it doesn't mean I want the whole game to be about cars.

There are so many thousands of team death match games in the world, why does SS13 need to be one of them?

SS13 doesn't even do it very well since we have our scaling and team balance is a fucking joke.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #263679

2/3 non-conversion 1/3 conversion is the ideal setup as far as rotation weights are concerned in my opinion
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #263693

Xhuis wrote:3. Invalid! Objection! It's not my god, it's PJB's. And he's not a snowflake. The "canon" is just my headcanon. I leave actual lore up to people.
Velard's*
私は完璧
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #263694

Remie Richards wrote:
Xhuis wrote:3. Invalid! Objection! It's not my god, it's PJB's. And he's not a snowflake. The "canon" is just my headcanon. I leave actual lore up to people.
Velard's*
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #263704

captain sawrge wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Haevacht wrote:
This minus the sarcasm.

That already exists in the form of wizard and ops though.
Friendly operatives is something I've literally never seen and it sounds retarded. Friendly wizards are boring as fuck and you should feel bad if you willingly burn your once a year wizard roll on healing the assistant that died to his own welderbomb.

Also "this already exists so lets remove four gamemodes" is a garbage argument.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #263706

Back when chameleon sets were a thing my commander ordered us to put suits on to buy the disk.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #263707

I heard about that. Gimmicks are rad and should be encouraged, but how gimmicky a mode can be is a frankly stupid measurement for the quality of a mode.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #263711

I saw ops win the disk in Texas Hold 'Em once. Was legendary.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #263724

D&B wrote:Back when chameleon sets were a thing my commander ordered us to put suits on to buy the disk.
[youtube]enpsaYIebH4[/youtube]
Bring back papercult.

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #263735

That was a terrible event video, nothing happened nearly the whole time until the ops got sick of trying to gimmick their way to the disk and shot the cap dead.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #263741

Team antagonist modes are cooperative (when the players are) and inclusive. These are two things that add a lot of fun to them as general game modes. Its not "oh boy I hope I'm one of the 5 people who roll a freedom to griff card" but rather "oh boy I get to spread the joys of griff to everyone." The fact that we have so much of our antagonist stuff focused on "rolling for antag" is troubling and puts undue focus on the antags as more desirable than normal crew. Team modes give you an incentive to include more players in your fun instead of just walking the line between remove as many as possible and avoiding removing as many as possible.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #263744

>one of the stricter new admins, firmly on the side of disliking "IC issues" and "escalation"
>my favourite modes are the ones where everyone is allowed to kill everyone for no reason

I'm confused
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #263754

Revolutionary rounds work because there is a mostly-defined force that is not antagonists, and the antagonists have a very clearly-defined goal. Cultists can often be anyone with any number of goals, and are therefore posses an element of surprise, which goes a very long way in circumventing security's efforts to stop them.

That's pretty much all I've got. Gang sucked, I guess?
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #263755

Personally I'm fond of conversion gamemodes as they let people get in on the action without necessarily just being seen as valids by the antagonists. I'm fond of clockwork cult for being relatively bloodless (lol), but still antagonistic.

The notion of removing team antagonists is such a stupid one that it batters my brain.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #263767

there is no conversion problem, and if there is it's just because of gamemode weighting my man

conversion is fun, once in a while
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #263782

Kor wrote:>one of the stricter new admins, firmly on the side of disliking "IC issues" and "escalation"
>my favourite modes are the ones where everyone is allowed to kill everyone for no reason

I'm confused
If you meant me, I've probably turned over more things as IC issues than not. That said, I stand by my statement. I really dislike the focus on antag status as a sort of lucky prize to a few select individuals granted by RNGesus. Team antags allow for cooperation among antags and even require it in most cases. That's pretty cool. Rev usually doesn't require much cooperation apart from "form the mob" but even then it still brings the station together in a way that solo traitor/ling doesn't. Its pretty rare that departments crank out neat stuff and actually use it unless they're granted antag status and conversion antags give the rule-required cover to start printing out all of those dangerous science toys nobody ever makes or other fun things.

That's not to say I want to see something as degenerate as TDM (which, admittedly, is basically what rev is) and I do kinda dislike the current "is it valid" culture, but I don't see better options right now. Its also why I tend to like side antags that involve more players in the round (abductors, borers and the very rare devil; no xenos though fuck xenos)
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #263786

One of my biggest gripes with conversion modes is that it takes one person to fuck up to give out everyone. They're too centered on being able to keep down.

Clock I absolutely loathe because tower defense doesn't belong in the current iteration of the game. It's clunky and overcomplicated and although winning feels good, it doesn't feel fun.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #263789

Blood cult is nice because even if you have one dumbass, you can just ignore them and carry on
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #263797

I'm fine with conversion gamemodes, the problem is we've removed a lot of non-conversion modes, such as malf.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #263798

bandit wrote:I'm fine with conversion gamemodes, the problem is we've removed a lot of non-conversion modes, such as malf.
Kind of a bad example because malf was shit but yeah I'd like to see more straightforward antags like traitor and ling, or even have some big baddie antags like blob fixed up
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #263799

Oh but that's not to say I don't dig conversion modes, I love the variety (inb4 "its just a deconversion cargo camp every time!!!"), and I think as long as we scale down the round type probability for conversion modes as we add new ones so they don't overtake straightforward antags there's no point in turning them down "because they're a conversion mode"
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #263820

I dislike clockcult because building a base is fucking cancerous and essentially unworkable on medium pop because of people treating maint as a sideroad.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #263908

I think conversion antags should continue to exist despite my personal hatred of them, but I'd like to see more "coop" gamemodes

Nukeops is sort of what I mean in that the crew unites against one threat, but it's not a great example because as soon as war is delcared/someone sees the ops the game becomes a deathmatch and normal station duties just sorta stop happening, same as blob

I can't come up with any ideas to change conversion modes or ideas for new modes, though, so my opinion means very little
Limey wrote:its too late.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #263914

The only good conversion modes are oldcult and revs. Clock cult is either "get dunked early on" or an hour of nothing happening, clock cult gets OP shit, and summon. No middle ground. One of the things I like about conversion modes is that they include everyone in the fun, it's not just one person gets to be antagonist like in wizard. They're a really nice break from the normal.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #263922

One thing i dislike about cults and rev is that they're very anti-gimmick: they don't have a leader to give the team a direction, so everyone either does their own thing or follows the meta, making the rounds take the same direction most of the time, resulting in the loss of the team if there are more people who do their own thing or the team's win if there are more people following the meta.

For example, making spears/explosive spears/toxin bombs and running towards the nearest head is usually the quickest way to win revolution, but since it's so fast it prevents more elaborate strategies, such as mech armies, forced head deportation to lavaland, or other nonstandard tactics.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #263940

The problem with conversion modes is that even though the methods may be different, the outcome is almost always the same. You don't have room to really get creative because the crew is going to power game the hardest to not die due to the fact you have 352525 tools for shit, and your other team mates are going to do likewise.

Bring back gang, remove it's objectives, set a limit on how many people you can recruit and just let people fuck around as gangsters.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #263945

Gang is hot garbage and no amount of conversion limits will change that.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #263957

ShadowDimentio wrote:Gang is hot garbage and no amount of conversion limits will change that.
Gang was god tier and easily my favorite mode for a couple months after it was released, but eventually the meta to play as/against gangs "optimally" set in and killed it
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #263966

PKPenguin321 wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Gang is hot garbage and no amount of conversion limits will change that.
Gang was god tier and easily my favorite mode for a couple months after it was released, but eventually the meta to play as/against gangs "optimally" set in and killed it
I blame implant breakers.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #263976

> Gamemode actively encourages security to become nazis the moment they stop a graffiti, and force implant everyone, because otherwise they get overwhelmed and killed in twenty minutes
Hm-m-m, I wonder why this gamemode failed
Bring back papercult.

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #263981

PKPenguin321 wrote:
I've said it once I'll say it again: Gang was over the second jobs were rolled, and that's shit.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #263997

I like conversion game modes, but with the way they are made you have to be wary of having their odds of occurring too high.

One time when we had a higher percentage chance of conversion rounds triggering, one issue I found we were having was 'security fatigue'. Playing as security during a conversion game mode can be a high stress event, and constantly going from one conversion round to another as security can quickly take its toll.

There is also how Gang attempted to completely sideline security with implant breakers and similar game play decisions. Instead of supplanting security it instead turned security into a balls to the wall death camp with security oft times acting worse than the very gangs they were trying to stop. With mass executions of innocent people being the norm for the sake of survival.

Fortunately that's not as critical a issue now days, but still the number one OOC complaint I see after any conversion game mode are people complaining about how security acted during the round.

Wish there was a easier way for the HoS to declare Martial Law outside of Red Alert, cause Martial Law is always a mess in real life, which is exactly what happens during a conversion game mode.