Escape pods shouldn't exist

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Re: Escape pods shouldn't exist

Post by Slignerd » #286951

Bottom post of the previous page:

Have we gotten to the point where we want to deny people's greentext so much that we're going to change how the game handles greentexts?
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #286954

DemonFiren wrote:
Alipheese wrote:Pods shouldn't go to a centcom ship or centcom.
They are
ESCAPE
POTS
For a reason. They are to get the fuck out of the station not complete your objective. If you want to complete your objective. A la get to centcom as thats been the final product of greentexting so far as the only way to greentexting is escaping. Which all the escape methods are going to centcom.
Require the shuttle to greentext.
The shuttle shouldn't go to a centcom ship or centcom.
It is an
ESCAPE
SHUTTLE
For a reason.

but seriously if you consider that the objective in question is called ESCAPE ALIVE your whole logic falls apart
Who cares about the wording anyway, its about the gameplay.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #286956

MisterPerson wrote:
Shaps-cloud wrote:To give people alternate choices for when the main shuttle is getting bombed/eaten by the engine/hijacked/a bloodbath/too noisy or otherwise undesirable. The shuttle is already one of the biggest bloodbaths because it's trivially easy to bomb/set on fire, not everyone wants every round to end like that
I mean obviously some people are going to avoid the shuttle if it's more dangerous, but isn't danger the whole point of the shuttle to begin with? Wouldn't it be smarter to force people to live dangerously since that's more fun for everyone involved? And if the shuttle's chaos isn't fun for people, then why is it like that?
because what used to be a game where 30 people was considered highpop now regularly hits 80 people, and forcing 80 people into a tight space where all it takes to kill everyone is one person with a flamethrower/bomb/chem grenade/pair of bags of holding/whatever every single round is the kind of "fun chaos" that's more like an unfun admin event.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #286958

Please do tell me how anyone is going to prevent antags from maxcapping every round for the memes.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #286960

Shaps-cloud wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:
Shaps-cloud wrote:To give people alternate choices for when the main shuttle is getting bombed/eaten by the engine/hijacked/a bloodbath/too noisy or otherwise undesirable. The shuttle is already one of the biggest bloodbaths because it's trivially easy to bomb/set on fire, not everyone wants every round to end like that
I mean obviously some people are going to avoid the shuttle if it's more dangerous, but isn't danger the whole point of the shuttle to begin with? Wouldn't it be smarter to force people to live dangerously since that's more fun for everyone involved? And if the shuttle's chaos isn't fun for people, then why is it like that?
because what used to be a game where 30 people was considered highpop now regularly hits 80 people, and forcing 80 people into a tight space where all it takes to kill everyone is one person with a flamethrower/bomb/chem grenade/pair of bags of holding/whatever every single round is the kind of "fun chaos" that's more like an unfun admin event.
I don't really see how a couple of people surviving totally isolated from everything else for 2 more minutes makes such a scenario any more interesting.
kevinz000 wrote:Please do tell me how anyone is going to prevent antags from maxcapping every round for the memes.
There is literally nothing stopping them from doing so now either.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #286964

kevinz000 wrote:Please do tell me how anyone is going to prevent antags from maxcapping every round for the memes.
If there's absolutely nothing anyone can do to prevent a traitor from maxcapping a shuttle even with an alert sec department i think the problem may lie in toxins
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #286976

XDTM wrote:
If there's absolutely nothing anyone can do to prevent a traitor from maxcapping a shuttle even with an alert sec department i think the problem may lie in toxins
or chem grenades that can create maxcaps/hellfoam/hellsmoke
or a syndiebomb core with C4
or a flamethrower
or burning stacks of plasma that are very easy to snag from cargo/engineering
or bags of holding which make a singulo

killing lots of people who are all grouped up together is trivial in SS13
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #287006

CosmicScientist wrote:
Remove syndibombs.
Remove high explosive chemistry.
Remove toxins/tank transfer valves/canister explosion.
Remove supermatter.

It exists, therefore it will be used.
Remove toolboxes
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #287019

Or scale escape shuttle size with population size.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #287114

The round ends 2 minutes later, who gives a shit?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #287124

MisterPerson wrote:
People who were invested in the round and want to see their characters make it out alive? Have you forgotten this is a roleplaying game almost completely based on trying to survive in adverse conditions?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #287131

unfortunately with the breeding of the play-to-win mindset and the proliferation of meme ghost roles to make death meaningless, that isn't a thing here
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #287132

>waaah pods are just antag tools let's get rid of them

Fuck off, I love using pods during code red and delta. Greentext means nothing and you're getting salty over it.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #287134

Struggling against strangers to get a seat on the pod with seconds to go on the clock is a rush and shouldn't be removed
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #287216

PKPenguin321 wrote:Struggling against strangers to get a seat on the pod with seconds to go on the clock is a rush and shouldn't be removed
Except everyone just rests on the ground and everyone fits in anyway.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #287217

DrPillzRedux wrote:>waaah pods are just antag tools let's get rid of them

Fuck off, I love using pods during code red and delta. Greentext means nothing and you're getting salty over it.

Please stop pretending objectives aren't a part of the traitor gamemode.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #287231

CPTANT wrote:

It's more that you shouldn't take it personally if the round-end text says that some dude managed to complete his objectives
Unless you have objectives, objectives mean nothing.

Feel free to be salty if in the process of getting dat greentext a traitor decided to murder you and hide you in a locker or whatever or something else that actually affects you (in as much as you can be affected by a sprite in a video game) but "that guy over there had some green words at the end of the round instead of red ones" should not make you mad. If you're a nonantag then your "objectives" are whatever you want them to be and could be anything from "survive the round" to "build an autism fort"
Unlike a directly competitive game, one player winning doesn't necessarily mean the other players inherently "lose"
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #287235

Screemonster wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

It's more that you shouldn't take it personally if the round-end text says that some dude managed to complete his objectives

Feel free to be salty if in the process of getting dat greentext a traitor decided to murder you and hide you in a locker or whatever or something else that actually affects you (in as much as you can be affected by a sprite in a video game) but "that guy over there had some green words at the end of the round instead of red ones" should not make you mad. If you're a nonantag then your "objectives" are whatever you want them to be and could be anything from "survive the round" to "build an autism fort"
Unlike a directly competitive game, one player winning doesn't necessarily mean the other players inherently "lose"
But I dislike how easy it is to escape when I AM the traitor. Escape pod escapes just trivialize this aspect of your objectives.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #287243

Then

Dont

Take

A

Pod?????
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #287252

Shaps-cloud wrote:Then

Dont

Take

A

Pod?????

Balance based around artificially gimping yourself is shit.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #287257

The entire game is not based around traitors who simultaneously want the "challenge" of having to ride the shuttle but don't have the will to just do it themselves, there are other legitimate uses for escape pods like when the shuttle is rendered unusable, and bizarre suggestions like "dynamically make the shuttle bigger based on pop size" don't get around that
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #287264

cedarbridge wrote:
bman wrote:
Atlanta-Ned wrote::salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt:
why would they be salt that escape pods exist?
Because it's pretty obvious that they're upset that pods prevented them from denying some nerd a green text in a round.
no. That's not true.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #287268

Shaps-cloud wrote:The entire game is not based around traitors who simultaneously want the "challenge" of having to ride the shuttle but don't have the will to just do it themselves, there are other legitimate uses for escape pods like when the shuttle is rendered unusable, and bizarre suggestions like "dynamically make the shuttle bigger based on pop size" don't get around that
Yes and pods launching to lavaland on red/delta and end of round is just fine.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #287277

Tacolizard: On the forums, I didn't really mean they SHOULD be removed, I was more just trying to start a conversation. Anyways, it's worth a testmerge

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/26759
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #287378

MisterPerson wrote:
1. What Shaps said. This is horseshit coming from me (For the new guys I'm regarded as a powergamer) but there's something about your IC character you know, probably caring about their life?
2. People do care on an OOC level too. It's not fun going to the escape shuttle just to get blown up later because it's the only way to escape and every traitor wants to ruin as many people's rounds as possible for their own enjoyment even if their objectives go against or don't require it. If people didn't care about "round ends 2 minutes later who cares about surviving the ride" why would they even bother boarding the shuttle to escape alive?
3. The antags who want greentext.

Also, when I say maxcap I meant every way there is of mass murdering a packed group of people. Competent security team XDTM? If you pack the most combat-robust and powergamey people into a security team there's still no way they're going to make sure the crew which is likely 6-10 times bigger is going to be completely searched. You know the player mindset, not alot of people will cooperate if security goes "HEY, CHECKPOINTS HERE, GET SEARCHED OR NO PASSAGE TO THE SHUTTLE!". It makes sense to do so if escape pods don't exist but no, security will never have the level of competence, cooperation, and manpower/sheer force to pull it off and you'll just have people breaking into the shuttle and doing it anyways.
Also, security team preventing this from happening? So what's to stop someone from buying a hardsuit, and a syndiebomb, and doing it from space? Or just throwing a grenade lance of 300/300 from science? Or any of the other ways of griefing the shuttle? They can just get their PDA out and spawn it in flight if they wanted and they're fast about wrenching it down.

tl;dr if you didn't read my rant without escape shuttles antags will just mass kill everyone on the shuttle for fun and there'll be no counter but voluntarily stranding yourself on the station which is not what people would like to do on an IC and OOC level because if no one wanted to escape why would we have a shuttle.
Last edited by kevinz000 on Mon May 01, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #287379

CPTANT wrote:Or scale escape shuttle size with population size.
Maxcap is 5/10/20.
A shuttle big enough to prevent someone from destroying it for the maymays isn't going to fit.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #287382

kevinz000 wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Or scale escape shuttle size with population size.
Maxcap is 5/10/20.
A shuttle big enough to prevent someone from destroying it for the maymays isn't going to fit.
how is a maxcap relevant to the shuttle size. salty over getting greentext denied by a maxcapping traitor?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #287493

kevinz000 wrote: tl;dr if you didn't read my rant without escape shuttles antags will just mass kill everyone on the shuttle for fun and there'll be no counter but voluntarily stranding yourself on the station which is not what people would like to do on an IC and OOC level because if no one wanted to escape why would we have a shuttle.
Then the shuttle is the one that should be removed, or at least rethought.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #287517

MisterPerson wrote:
kevinz000 wrote: tl;dr if you didn't read my rant without escape shuttles antags will just mass kill everyone on the shuttle for fun and there'll be no counter but voluntarily stranding yourself on the station which is not what people would like to do on an IC and OOC level because if no one wanted to escape why would we have a shuttle.
oh god why
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #287540

MisterPerson wrote:
whats to stop me from putting maxcaps on each pod in smugglers satchels. (I've done this before and did the shuttle, no survivors)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #287557

Like said before, pods in no way prevent a traitor from maxcapping the shuttle once it is in transit.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #287621

Exactly, it's not like traitors that would maxcap/murderbone the shuttle stop doing it because there might be people in pods, it's irrelevant.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #287717

CPTANT wrote:Like said before, pods in no way prevent a traitor from maxcapping the shuttle once it is in transit.
What I mean is that if getting maxcapped on the shuttle isn't fun, then the pods don't really fix the problem.

Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #287734

CPTANT wrote:Like said before, pods in no way prevent a traitor from maxcapping the shuttle once it is in transit.
XDTM wrote:Exactly, it's not like traitors that would maxcap/murderbone the shuttle stop doing it because there might be people in pods, it's irrelevant.
MisterPerson wrote:
What I mean is that if getting maxcapped on the shuttle isn't fun, then the pods don't really fix the problem.
the difference is not everyone is gonna get exploded because some of them took a risk to go on a pod
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #288140

Shaps-cloud wrote:
XDTM wrote:Exactly, it's not like traitors that would maxcap/murderbone the shuttle stop doing it because there might be people in pods, it's irrelevant.
MisterPerson wrote:
the difference is not everyone is gonna get exploded because some of them took a risk to go on a pod
Since the presence of pods doesn't really affect the chances of the shuttle getting bombed (the kind of traitor that takes a pod to ensure greentext is not going to blow it with a shuttlebomb), i still think it's irrelevant.

And few people surviving shuttlebombs doesn't make them less destructive, if they actually happened every round it would still be a problem, pods or not.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #288191

I've lost track of what you're arguing

Escape pods offer a more secluded way of escaping where there's less people around (and thus less risk of getting maxcapped/destroyed by some other AOE threat) but mean there's less bystanders to intervene if an antag walks up and decides to double tap you.

I don't know why you people are turning this into an argument about whether the shuttle or toxins should be changed
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #288259

Shaps-cloud wrote:I've lost track of what you're arguing

Escape pods offer a more secluded way of escaping where there's less people around (and thus less risk of getting maxcapped/destroyed by some other AOE threat) but mean there's less bystanders to intervene if an antag walks up and decides to double tap you.

I don't know why you people are turning this into an argument about whether the shuttle or toxins should be changed
I don't consider these to be two equal options. The pods are significantly safer than the shuttle but also much less interesting as a result. If a gameplay feature can be described as "boring", it's probably flawed.

captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #288502

MisterPerson wrote:

I don't consider these to be two equal options. The pods are significantly safer than the shuttle but also much less interesting as a result. If a gameplay feature can be described as "boring", it's probably flawed.
Wrong!
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #288528

captain sawrge wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:

Wrong!
>tells him he's wrong

>doesn't give any evidence or even explain their reasoning as to why he's wrong

:thinking:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #288533

bman wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:

Wrong!
>tells him he's wrong

>doesn't give any evidence or even explain their reasoning as to why he's wrong

:thinking:
Wrong!
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #290822

CPTANT wrote:
Screemonster wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

But I dislike how easy it is to escape when I AM the traitor. Escape pod escapes just trivialize this aspect of your objectives.

This is what this post is about. It has nothing to do with 'im salty cause antag got his greentext'. It's because escape pods are fun for nobody, neither the traitor or the crew.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #291595

A large part of this, honestly, is admins not banning anymore for shuttle griff
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #291672

> banning antags for shuttle griff

why would admins do that?
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #291793

> banning antags for antagonizing

why would admins do that?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone