cave dwarves (lavaland ghost-role)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Bother making?

Yes
78%
No
11%
Needs tweaks (explain)
9%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 45

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: cave dwarves (lavaland ghost-role)

Post by PKPenguin321 » #293687

Bottom post of the previous page:

is this just an elaborate scheme to reintroduce fatsprites
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #293691

they're just BIG-BONED
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #293720

MOVE THIS TO CODING FEEDBACK ADMINS REEEEEEEEE
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #293794

Its not even ready to be testmerged fully yet without the last few parts, (blacksmithing important to just not leaving behind some objects like counterfeit ashwalkers) and clothes. (but hey im not the op)

I mean, a admin could just oversee the testmerge and quickly build a wooden hut in buildmode when those pieces have been put into place without the ruin per-say.
Suggestion, kind of adding onto what i mentioned here

Dwarves can smoothen rock walls using a blacksmith created object in order to just make a chisel (just one of their tools)

- The chisel can be applied onto rock to make smooth rock walls which is a solid closed turf type, but can still be cut through with a pick since it is not girder based; by deconstructing smoothened walls with a pick drops stone which has its own little global material list.

This is especially important because of their location on lavaland where they are likely to be boxed in by rock walls, and will be laboriously smoothening out walls they want to keep or deliberately smoothen walls as to just gather more stone to use elsewhere (stone brick walls/floors, or stone layered over girders) the minerals within the wall will be lost when they smoothen it.

- Smoothened walls take longer to dig, to stop people just instantly destroying work.

Re applying a chisel onto a rock wall lets you place down graffiti with some optional flavour text onto the side of the rock face.

Spoiler:
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #293809

this is the stupidest most blatant refrence shoehorned where it doesnt belong since i made a lance

why do any of you think this is a good idea
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #293812

because it'd be entertaining to play as and despite what you said, are probably more thematically correct to be placed in lavaland (hellscape full of minerals, dwarves known for digging deep into said hellscapes and taking precious minerals) than other current ghost-roles.

im sorry you don't like FUN
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #293813

Haevacht wrote: why do any of you think this is a good idea
it sounds funner than half of the current ghost roles, that's why
various people wrote:suggestions
im not fond of these ideas to make it more complicated than it is

its a ghost role, its not supposed to be a complete recreation of df, its supposed to be a fun simple role to play.

just making the fortress and drinking beer as you defend the fortress from invaders should be the main meat of the role
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #293814

The way i see it, its all a good opportunity to explore atomisable content. We added the primal crafting almost entirely for ashwalkers even though we didn't need to and it affected all the other ghost roles too.

For races with pre-defined technology like beach bums, there are distinct advantages from your position usually coming from multiple things
  • Access to fire = (ability to cook food and heat reagents)
  • Access to electricity & air - used for powering machines & breathing if you require it
  • Ability to harvest & utilise reagents (usually via a grinder, allows you to extract your chemicals)
  • Making the most out of monster materials (crafting together to make weapons and armor, or if your ruin has a sink or waterhole & is powered, making leather)
  • Making the most out of minerals (materials for building & fortifying, sometimes crafting)
  • Making the most out of plants (for food, wood, sometimes rarely weapons & natural lighting)
So yeah, all the ghost roles are structured in this way, dwarves are high end primal, golems are teched up, plantpeople has pseudo plant tech while ashwalkers have nothing but basic materials and would need to rely on other ruins/the station to gain a significant advantage. The station & the golems are top of the food chain.

Say in a position of a beach bum or hospital vet that might be able to use dwarven high-end primal things because their ruin is pre-equipped with a number of those pre-requisites. If there was a crafting recipie that required leather & monster materials, the doctors could make it easy and take it back to the hospital, wet the goliath plate, dry & craft the object. etc.

Spoiler:
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #293820

"Ss13 but its mostly just dwarf fortress multiplayer" is a good idea. This is not.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #293837

If none of this works out you can just hold your own dwarf fortress server, id know id visit it.

Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #293865

Going to commit blacksmithing soon.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #293880

why don't we just scrap any blatant references other than "they're dwarves who do stereotypical dwarf shit like smithing and be short" if the references are that big of a deal?

FWIW I'd rather see this replace a ghost role on lavaland because I really dislike how much stuff goes on off station already, but I think it's a neat idea
Limey wrote:its too late.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #293904

replace vet and beach bum then
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #293975

Wyzack wrote:replace vet and beach bum then
Is christmas this early in the year already? yeah it seems like a decent replacement if those ruins are not going anywhere with new developments.

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #294097

unpopular opinion: if dorfs actually happen I'd like to see all 4(?) ghost roles be replaced by them

the OP sounds much more interesting to me than "valid lizards" or "botany but you're a golem"

no that isn't a fair assessment but I really dislike having so many ghost roles on lavaland
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #294107

But then you end up with less value because its dwarves every round or never at all with all the sub-par sin & aesthetic ruins left behind : unpopular opinion rightly founded postbait :twisted:

Phasing ghostroles out when we get better ones is reasonable, but it seems like you're kinda opposed to ghost roles with minor functions as opposed to a ghost role that essentialy plays like a different game to compensate for cutting the smaller roles if you get what i mean? If its "Strike the earth" every round or massive amounts of logging off/deadchat crying because no perodic queue up to play a dwarf and set up a little fortress.

I mean i've spoken to goof on irc and just the blacksmith/metal forging aspect is a HUGE undertaking from his described system, which involves smelting ores into molten metal and pouring them into moulds constructed out of clay shaped like objects & items.

So essentially thats 1 new uniqueish structure, new reagent variants, a new material type (clay) ontop of the brewery system, its pretty big for 1/3 of a ghost role's unique-ish content.

Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #294109

This whole thing sounds far too big and complex to be made a ghost role. It makes far more sense as a separate game mode or outright spin off, but I think that's a good thing.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #294111

lumipharon wrote:This whole thing sounds far too big and complex to be made a ghost role. It makes far more sense as a separate game mode or outright spin off, but I think that's a good thing.
FantasticFwoosh wrote:If none of this works out you can just hold your own dwarf fortress server, id know id visit it.
Theorycrafting sesh

I guess we're going loud with the ghost role then on features, but it has a rippling effect because indirectly clay being on mining could lead to things (pots, bricks to smash windows in dressed in my RD frogsuit), molten metal will probably definitely end up in chemistry recipes somehow indirectly for making bars as opposed to the old frost oil method outside of the smelter.

Brewing will turn up in the bar via close interaction with and probably make everyone extremely drunk on cheaply brewed ale of random potent plants. So really it can translate quite well to the station with a bit of effort but we need to wait and see for the proof of the pudding.

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #294176

lumipharon wrote:This whole thing sounds far too big and complex to be made a ghost role. It makes far more sense as a separate game mode or outright spin off, but I think that's a good thing.
I mean I think it's a cool concept and should exist in some form, but yeah who knows maybe this isn't a good fit for ghost roles
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #294233

"smithing" could just be tablecrafting with a special table and tools being required.

Smelting without an autosmelter should just be a recipe you can make with a machine frame and some metal, using wood or raw plasma as fuel. make it work like a microwave in that you have to activate it to smelt, or you can make it work like the coin press to make the fuel cost work alongside the materials. throw in ore and and item that counts as fuel, it uses fuel units and the metal content of the ore to dispense a bar.

also brewing should be added anyway because it will be a fun addition to give the bar and botany some interaction. Giving it to a ghost role would just be a bonus. Goonstation has a still that does what you all are talking about anyway.

overall stuff that would be neat to add anyway, plus it would give options to other ghost roles. for example it would let ashwalkers make a smelter so they actually can use all the ore they collect for stuff like trade and building, or give an enterprising assistant the ability to make a full blown smithing shop.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #294243

Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #294245

Qbopper wrote:
unpopular opinion: if dorfs actually happen I'd like to see all 4(?) ghost roles be replaced by them

the OP sounds much more interesting to me than "valid lizards" or "botany but you're a golem"

no that isn't a fair assessment but I really dislike having so many ghost roles on lavaland
botany but you're a PODPERSON

its the botanist tutorial region keep it
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #294255

iamgoofball wrote:Image
the brewery sprite will not work out and you know it deep deep down
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #294259

Armhulen wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:Image
the brewery sprite will not work out and you know it deep deep down
It's ok I have the ASCII one available
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #294283

If you want more dorfs cull the dumb/reference ruins before decent ghost.

*COUGH* cancer rat beach bumb *COUGH*
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #294302

What material is that pick made out of, guessing by the color its mythril or possibly some kind of plasma alloy.
Also goof, i think armhulen has mistook the smelter for the brewery like scrub, the brewery barrel is to the right hands side.

Spoiler:
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #294392

Can we add veins of adamantine to lavaland now that if you dig too deep pop out a bunch of corruption and tendrils that spread out?
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #294423

Bombadil wrote:Can we add veins of adamantine to lavaland now that if you dig too deep pop out a bunch of corruption and tendrils that spread out?
Peek into goof's commit and its already there. (minus that last bit about corruption & tendrils)
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Tue May 16, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spoiler:
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #294427

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Can we add veins of adamantine to lavaland now that if you dig too deep pop out a bunch of corruption and tendrils that spread out?
Peek into goof's commit and its already there.
Will there be any on station use for adamantine?

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #294430

Adamantine statue of the Captain.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #294461

I'm doing some edits to goof's blacksmithing, mostly just adding sound cues and small things. After that, all that'll need done is dwarf clothing and finalizing the ruin before its feature-complete.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #294502

I'll probably add a third industry if I get the time today
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #294513

Haevacht wrote:
Qbopper wrote:

botany but you're a PODPERSON

its the botanist tutorial region keep it
whoops

also >botany needs a tutorial region

so should we make ghost roles on lavaland for every job? that doesn't strike me as a very good reason to keep it, there are some jobs that could use an actual location to practice and botany isn't one of them
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #294525

Bombadil wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Peek into goof's commit and its already there.
Will there be any on station use for adamantine?
humans cannot comprehend the true power of adamantine
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #294533

metal industry + leather industry + booze industry

if possible farming industry but we already have that, kind of, just add a millstone and shit
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #294554

bman wrote:metal industry + leather industry + booze industry

if possible farming industry but we already have that, kind of, just add a millstone and shit
Excellent, millstone/quern for a grinder & a seed extractor in one.

How else are you going to make your breads for feasts? Because there's a problem in that dwarves cannot extract seeds they might want to use in order to sow more crops to get alcohol from.
iamgoofball wrote: humans cannot comprehend the true power of adamantine
Beg to differ, they seem able to mine & glob craft it into golem shells just fine.
Mmm, how about a woodfire oven so you can cook your food via a kitchen workshop and make biscuits/ meals / roasts out of edible ingredients

- Burn clay into bricks (used to make the trays rather than lazily making the raw clay craft) & ash into glass also using this.

- Saying that, bonfire barbeque cooking was recently added #27250
bman wrote:leather industry
Such a thing is not possible because dwarves do not have taps to wet the skinned goliath plates (giving hairless leather) and then summarily dry on a powered drying rack.

Spoiler:
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #294627

can we just code something that makes sure that only 1 of a type of ruin can be spawned, annoying af when you get ghost roles but theyre just 3 different pod people ruins
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #294635

cocothegogo wrote:can we just code something that makes sure that only 1 of a type of ruin can be spawned, annoying af when you get ghost roles but theyre just 3 different pod people ruins
That already exists for ashwalkers & golems.

Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #294636

Blacksmithing 101 (as it stands, did some edits from goof's base)
  • Dwarves start with an anvil, hammer, and smelter for ores.
  • The smelter requires manual input of raw ore but gives 2 bar's worth of ore in molten form.
  • Casts are made from clay, which can be found around lavaland like other ores and mined.
How to cast
1. Make a mold out of clay (current choices are bar, shovel, pickaxe, or blade)
2. Pour 25u of ANY reagent into the mold (this is mostly for molten ore, but a chemist could have a lot of fun with this)
3. Place filled mold on an anvil, use hammer on anvil to break result out of mold.
4. Find appropriate handle for item (hilt for a sword, currently just a log for pickaxe/shovel).
5. Attach via crafting menu, you now have whatever you made.

Dig speed and force is based on the used reagent. Swords currently double the amount of the mineral's base-damage. Attacking someone with a reagent-based item applies that reagent's TOUCH effect, which will probably lead to some really hilariously over-powered stuff if you can get a hold of deadly chemicals.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #294641

MMMiracles wrote: 3. Place filled mold on an anvil, use hammer on anvil to break result out of mold.

so.. you dont actually hit the result with a hammer multiple times to shape it better like in dwarf fortress intro..

and on top of that you have to use crafting menu

that's fucking disgusting
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #294642

bman wrote:
MMMiracles wrote: 3. Place filled mold on an anvil, use hammer on anvil to break result out of mold.

so.. you dont actually hit the result with a hammer multiple times to shape it better like in dwarf fortress intro..

and on top of that you have to use crafting menu

that's fucking disgusting
I plan to rework the flavor text to indicate you're doing some hammering to shape it better, sorry about that

I might do a proper clay industry setup and make a proper pottery system to allow you to make molds and other stuff but I'm worried about if we've hit too complex.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #294651

http://piratepad.net/gRqjDjbN8m

Just barged in to talk with what brownelftrapmaid (atleast as they are known on IRC) was trying to say about how the new adamantium minerals interact with the ORM, since miners are going to pick it up in their satchels anyway passively.

I derailed him a bit with a discussion of if each metal material had a density that determined its weight & protectiveness, it could be a good reason to apply mythril into the game too (basis that legendary armor that once saved a certain hobbit), i've left my thoughts on the piratepad.

Spoiler:
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #294730

PKPenguin321 wrote:is this just an elaborate scheme to reintroduce fatsprites
dont need to
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #294809

oranges closed the pr
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #294810

Include me in the screenshot.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #294814

oranges is paranoid and unreasonable at times.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #294819

It is closed on very weak reasoning. Perhaps someone could get Kor to treat this PR fairly.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #294822

this won't stay closed for long i'm sure
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #294826

I cant find the pull on git, anyone got a link?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #294834

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/27155

reeeeee.

LAVA DWARVES ARE TOO FAR. BUT FUCKING USELESS VETERINARIANS AND BEACH BUMS ARE GOOD GHOST ROLES

Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #294835

Is an optional lavaland ghost role seriously controversial?