Feedback for goofball's "balances cargo" for when it gets in

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

What do you think about this

Its good
26%
It's bad and should be removed
52%
Not effective enough, needs buff
4%
Way to overkill, needs nerf
19%

Total votes: 27

ma44
Byond Username: Ma44

Feedback for goofball's "balances cargo" for when it gets in

Post by ma44 » #292231

original pr here
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/27099

As of right now, exporting 100 sheets of any mineral (as it uses amount) will instantly make it valued at 1 point and will take about 33.3(!) minutes to actually get back up to 100%, which is a bit stupid considering thats like 1/4 - 1/2 the round
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Feedback for goofball's "balances cargo" for when it get

Post by Armhulen » #292253

How will Harry Robinson ever recover?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #292260

it's almost like infinite saturation of the market would drop the price or something
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #292315

Have you considered selling something else?

[or stocks]
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #292321

iamgoofball wrote:it's almost like infinite saturation of the market would drop the price or something
>100 sheets will saturate the market

What kind of fucking market is this?
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #292371

Not really the market but the demand of Centcom. "Alright you sent 100 plasma, that's enough for now, send something else"
Reminder that SS13 isn't a mining station, it's a research station. You're not sending minerals in bulk, you're sending samples of the ores found on Lavaland, and prototypes of the new stuff you're researching. Miners should be more accurately called "prospectors", they're prospecting the planet below for further exploitation by NT: if the minerals are deemed viable, NT is probably just going to drop a massive mining network and strip mine the whole planet.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #292376

The main export IS plasma. The research station simply doubles as a hub for mining activities. The mining base and the miners are part of the mining network and strip mining, they simply can't increase in scale because Lavaland is too hazardous.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #292387

NT has access to military-grade equipment and weaponry that far surpass those available on SS13, I doubt they would consider lavaland monsters and even megafauna "hazardous" given that a basic trained civilian miner can easily deal with them. The crew is there to find out if it's actually worth it.

Plasma has always been available in large quantities on the station, either in gas, liquid or solid form, the main purpose isn't to export it but to research on it.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #292388

That's not what both lore and the code say.

Anyways I've checked Goof's math and exporting 10, not 100, of any item will drop an item's price to 1.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #292389

Grazyn wrote:NT has access to military-grade equipment and weaponry that far surpass those available on SS13, I doubt they would consider lavaland monsters and even megafauna "hazardous" given that a basic trained civilian miner can easily deal with them. The crew is there to find out if it's actually worth it.

Plasma has always been available in large quantities on the station, either in gas, liquid or solid form, the main purpose isn't to export it but to research on it.
Excuse me but I'll have you read my 22 pages of backstory before you call my characters basic trained civilian miners.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #292390

I'll fix the math.
lore is no excuse for bad gameplay
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #292396

ohnopigeons wrote:That's not what both lore and the code say.
It's real in my mind

Seriously though, that's what the wiki says
Welcome! Space Station 13 is a top bottom of the line plasma research facility located somewhere in deep space.
Reasons for Existence[edit]
Plasma research, especially exothermic potential: dedicated science teams on hand for this purpose at all times. It is implied that Space Station 12 had even more. Since Space Station 13's construction, tighter regulations on research limits have been drafted in this field, bringing up a lot of questions from high-ranked employees.
Secondary directives: while a particular use has yet to be determined for the new station at this time, you can expect to see the station become used as a mining outpost, refueling station, supply depot, prison work release program, or some other application before activation is complete.
Mining comes last, under secondary directives, and it's an outpost, not even a proper mining network. Cargo credits are a sort of incentive used by NT to reward for good work, which should be research, not mining 200 units of plasma and be set for the rest of your life.

And lastly, IIRC explorer suits were called prospector suits at some point, so even the code is on my side.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #292398

Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #292400

Mining asteroid was added long after 2010. This alone should show you that exporting plasma isn't the reason why you're here. It's plasma research
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #292402

Grazyn wrote:Mining asteroid was added long after 2010. This alone should show you that exporting plasma isn't the reason why you're here. It's plasma research
It's both. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #292405

If it's both you should get equal rewards from both and not infinite, easy credits from plasma sheets and scraps from everything else
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #292407

ohnopigeons wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:it's almost like infinite saturation of the market would drop the price or something
>100 sheets will saturate the market

What kind of fucking market is this?
I'd fail you if I was your macroeconomics professor, Goof. If I open a lemonade stand and sell lemonade for a quarter the lemonade market isn't going to implode due to me underselling.

The amount you'd have to export in order to see even a small drop in prices would be hundreds of thousands of sheets of metal.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #292408

ShadowDimentio wrote:I'd fail you if I was your macroeconomics professor, Goof.
I'd fail you too since this is clearly a microeconomics problem, not a macroeconomics one.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #292445

I think a lot of confusion derives from cargo credits being the same as space credits, aka money. It doesn't make sense for NT to buy our resources with actual money, SS13 isn't a subsidiary of NT, it's a station owned by NT. One could say that NT is selling the plasma and they send part of the profit back to the station, but this also is in conflict with the lore: who are they selling it to? It's stated in the lore that most of the galaxy hates NT. And why are they selling it? Plasma is a rare strategic resource, it's used for energy production, weapons manufactory and all sort of powercreep stuff, NT isn't going to give it away no matter the price.

Is it really money what we're getting from Centcom? It's used to "buy" supplies and recreation equipment, but it's useless outside of that. Yesterday I tried to buy a pair of yellow gloves from an engineer with a wad of 500 credits in cash, and they refused saying "That's not real money, its' worthless". I literally threw it at them, and you know what they did? They threw it in the trash. That's right, 500 credits right in the trash, that's how much the crew values money.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #292448

Like anarcho capitalism but valids instead of money.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #292451

Grazyn wrote:snip
There's no such thing as real money. Currency is a medium of exchange for goods and services. Cargo points function in this regard. Space cash could technically function this way but they don't because they're too much of a hassle and there exists a complete lack of circulation/adoption.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #292799

Grazyn wrote:Is it really money what we're getting from Centcom? It's used to "buy" supplies and recreation equipment, but it's useless outside of that. Yesterday I tried to buy a pair of yellow gloves from an engineer with a wad of 500 credits in cash, and they refused saying "That's not real money, its' worthless". I literally threw it at them, and you know what they did? They threw it in the trash. That's right, 500 credits right in the trash, that's how much the crew values money.
to be fair it actually was worthless until exports were added
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #292898

E C O N O M Y S Y S T E M
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #293058

Aren't cargo points just corporate scrip? They aren't worth anything outside of Nanotrasen, you can only use them to import cargo. Sending Nanotrasen materials wouldn't have any impact on a scrip economy, and most things sent there aren't even sold, they're just used.

Plus, Nanotrasen ALWAYS needs plasma, they would have no reason to (even artificially) lower its value.

Doubly so if you've emagged it and are sending it to the syndicate instead. They want that plasma more then anything.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #293061

>goofball using the wrong fixes for the problem
lol
what else is new
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #293187

What are the right fixes then?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #293395

itt: lorefags and R&D shills bitch about me nerfing OP shit
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #293412

>cargo making infinite points
>Nerf infinite point generation
>"WOOOOW WTF"
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #293455

Your nerf makes no sense though and doesn't address the problem. Congratulations you've made it marginally more annoying to trickle-sell materials, now they'll just sell in bulk instead.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #293468

>tries to fix infinite points

>people can just add coins to the vault with the material instead

>fixed nothing
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #293478

ShadowDimentio wrote:Your nerf makes no sense though and doesn't address the problem. Congratulations you've made it marginally more annoying to trickle-sell materials, now they'll just sell in bulk instead.
>selling in bulk applies the same effects
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #293479

Armhulen wrote:>tries to fix infinite points

>fixed nothing
thanks for pointing out an exploit, will fix
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #293480

iamgoofball wrote:
Armhulen wrote:>tries to fix infinite points

>fixed nothing
thanks for pointing out an exploit, will fix
probably for the best
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #293509

ITT no one reads the code and just argue over what they think the PR changed and not what it actually changes
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #296798

This pr is fucking retarded. Also, who thinks cargo is OP, sans emag buying
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #297648

It's almost like NT is a private company not a market and they order these minerals specifically for research purposes.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #297668

BIG LIST OF THINGS THAT DON'T GET SATURATED
  • Plasma
  • Crates
  • Paperwork
  • Syndicate Documents
THINGS THAT GET SATURATED FASTER THAN NORMAL
  • Seeds
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #297683

>Plasma

This needs to be saturated too. Stop letting lore get in the way of balance.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #297690

I'd rather the cost of plasma be reduced than let it saturate.
Also

Code: Select all

// Materials. Nothing but plasma is really worth selling. Better leave it all to RnD and sell some plasma instead.

// Bananium. Exporting it makes the clown cry. Priceless.
/datum/export/material/bananium
	cost = 5000
	material_id = MAT_BANANIUM
	message = "cm3 of bananium"

// Diamonds. Rare and expensive.
/datum/export/material/diamond
	cost = 2500
	material_id = MAT_DIAMOND
	message = "cm3 of diamonds"

// Plasma. The oil of 26 century. The reason why you are here.
/datum/export/material/plasma
	cost = 500
	k_elasticity = 0
	material_id = MAT_PLASMA
	message = "cm3 of plasma"

// Uranium. Still useful for both power generation and nuclear annihilation.
/datum/export/material/uranium
	cost = 400
	material_id = MAT_URANIUM
	message = "cm3 of uranium"
Diamond is 5x better than plasma and uranium is comparable to plasma. For the first 50 sheets or so saturation is negligible (25% cost reduction vs before PR).

But I'll guess I'll make a PR to reduce plasma cost.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #297698

Plasma should be a consistent item you can export and get money from, but I do agree it should be nerfed somewhat in how much money a 50 stack can give.

Though to be fair I did use plasma as my funding to buy the Raven Escape Ship.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #297729

iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #297749

iamgoofball wrote:Stop letting lore get in the way of balance.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #297768

Lowered cost is more balanced than enabling saturation.
Steelpoint wrote:Plasma should be a consistent item you can export and get money from, but I do agree it should be nerfed somewhat in how much money a 50 stack can give.
My PR gives less points (than yours) for stealing Engineering's plasma stack and calling it a day while still keeping cargo's focus around plasma. Your PR does not.
Last edited by ohnopigeons on Wed May 24, 2017 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #297897

iamgoofball wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:Stop letting lore get in the way of balance.
stop posting this again and again and try to compromise with people about it

there are different ways to do things than the one you (or someone else) has in mind and spouting the same thing over and over will get you nowhere fast
Limey wrote:its too late.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #297991

Lore literally has no place in game balance. Just because my OC is a super sayian doesn't mean I give him the power to explode the station with a verb.

I refuse to compromise for people who refuse to look at this as a video game, because it is a video game.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #297993

>character design = lore
look at this retard
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #298017

DemonFiren wrote:>character design = lore
look at this retard
>make point that just because lore says im a super sayian doesnt mean i should get a verb to destroy the station to reflect the point of "just because lore says it doesnt mean it should be"
>*pushes up glasses, snorting* "AHEM, CHARACTER DESIGN" *pauses to use asthma inhaler* "ISN'T EQUAL TO LORE, THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!"
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #298216

>it's a goof tries to start shit because people won't agree with his objectively wrong views episode
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #298318

iamgoofball wrote:I refuse to compromise (with people who have a view I disagree with)
this is the entire point of a compromise

if you don't at least make a token attempt to compromise then you really should just be ignored, because screeching about how everyone else is wrong until you get exactly what you want results in everyone dismissing you as a retard, and you can never recover from that
iamgoofball wrote:people who refuse to look at this as a video game, because it is a video game.
dnd is just a tabletop game, why the fuck are you worrying about world building, killing shit and getting loot is the whole point

just because you may not appreciate the elements of the game that aren't directly related to gameplay doesn't mean no one else does or that those people are wrong, and if you actually think you can just ignore the people who do care about that sort of thing, you're a damn fool
DemonFiren wrote:>it's a goof tries to start shit because people won't agree with his objectively wrong views episode
you're being just as bad as goof
Limey wrote:its too late.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #298324

Can someone please just port goon cargo. It's more interactive, fun, and less "push crates git munz to buy stupid shit because no one ever asks cargo to do anything"
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?