Webbing

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Webbing

Post by Steelpoint » #296216

I'm currently proposing the addition of Webbing to the game. For those that don't know, webbing is essentially a additional storage space that can hold certain items. You place webbing onto your uniform and you can place and remove items from it.

My first PR on that is here, which currently adds two security webbings: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/27429

I hope to expand this to allow current items to act as webbings, what comes to mind is the Detective's Holster which is currently just a overglorified Belt.

I want to enquire to you on what other items do you think should be classified as webbing, or if I should expand webbing to any other role?

The biggest thing I am thinking about is the Mining Webbing, which right now is just a alternative belt storage device.

Your thoughts?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Re: Webbing

Post by MMMiracles » #296218

Labcoat pockets didn't even last that long, what makes you think this will somehow fare better?
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #296219

So it's a free extra belt
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #296220

Miner webbing is balanced because you have to choose between the jaunter which only works on the belt and the additional storage from the webbing. If you make webbing go on the suit then taking the jaunter+webbing becomes a no brainer. Not to mention the crusher, it can only go on the back but with your change one could go with KA on belt + crusher on back + webbing, which is some insane powercreep
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #296221

Wear a fanny pack.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #296223

I should note the webbing only holds two, small, items.

At minimum I want to make some of the never used/altered storage items webbing based, such as the Detective's Holster (which used to be a webbing of sorts) and the Bandolier for the Combat Shotguns.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #296242

So you'd be able to carry a revolver + 2 speedloaders or 20+ shotgun shells without even having to give up your belt slot?
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #296246

yeah I dont like it. The limits to storage are there for a reason. If you want to add webbing make it a belt item, or just open up explorer's webbing ability to hold things so it can be used for other things.

now having more sprites for stuff that does the same thing I wouldnt mind. like making a version of the sec-belt that is tacticool webbing for example.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #296256

Shaps-cloud wrote:So you'd be able to carry a revolver + 2 speedloaders or 20+ shotgun shells without even having to give up your belt slot?
I know this webbing idea is bad but being able to make your own shell boxes when?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #296260

Being able to hold a handful of shells when?

I closed the PR as its clear it's unpopular.

I'll revisit the idea later on. I was thinking of perhaps offering it as a alternative armour vest that offers no armour but lets you hold a few items.

I will be looking to make the Det's Holster and the Bandolier an accessory item.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #296265

Steelpoint wrote:Being able to hold a handful of shells when?

I closed the PR as its clear it's unpopular.

I'll revisit the idea later on. I was thinking of perhaps offering it as a alternative armour vest that offers no armour but lets you hold a few items.

I will be looking to make the Det's Holster and the Bandolier an accessory item.
Making webbing an armor slot item would be a great way to implement it, as it causes the person to make a choice, armor or storage.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #296266

Amusingly I just did that.

My revised and reopened PR adds a new armour vest in sec lockers called the 'webbing vest'.

it offers no real armour but it can hold up to four security items, exception of no stun batons.

So you chose between more inventory space or protection.
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #296291

You forget that normal sec armor is near useless as it has stupidly low armor, and threats like nukeops, and traitors, have weapons that have stupidly high armor penetration, or against assistants and cults which will always try to stun first, making armor useless regardless.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #296566

Either way I abandoned the concept of a webbing armour vest. Seems everyone accepts armour is so shit that having a vest with no armour but a few storage slots beats most station armour.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #296585

Its a complicated issue.

Most station armour is bad to ok, some may say its good enough.

The real issue is stun weapons. Armour means nothing when you can just stun and strip/kill/cuff someone.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #296637

The fact that armor overall sucks is a separate issue that needs to be discussed and changed in a separate PR most likely.

Setting up an actually interesting tactical choice when picking equipment is a good thing. if it turns out that everyone just picks webbing over armor every round then it just proves that armor needs work, plus it would give actual gameplay proof that armor is currently only worth the suit storage slot.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #296671

Have you tried using a backpack? I heard those hold things.

Why do people insist on having enough storage to carry everything you could ever need/want?

Sometimes you go in unprepared and you lose. That's okay
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #296679

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Have you tried using a backpack? I heard those hold things.

Why do people insist on having enough storage to carry everything you could ever need/want?

The choice for protection or storage is an intersting one though. very similar to how you choose to keep your back slot free to store your shotgun and protect it from being stolen and keep your hands free or do you carry a backpack to hold extra ammo and items with and risk your gun being stolen.

more storage isnt a bad thing if it requires trade offs, like how dufflebags either slow you down or require you carry it in-hand.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #296690

When you do merge it, do it kind of like how CM did it.

Don't make it just a container, if its attached to your jumpsuit, clicking it should take the first item out of it and put it into your hand immediately.
Clicking and dragging it to your player should be the only way to view what is inside of it.

Meaning that the detective would actually be able to -draw- his weapon fast and security officers would be able to -draw- out a flashbang or tear gas grenade fast.

And -PLEASE- add drawing sounds, make that satisfying leather gun drawing sound play when a weapon is drawn.

Also, adding like one point slings for the HoS to wear so that you can draw out a rifle or energy gun would be neat.

But please for fucks sakes don't just make it a two slot container that goes on your jumpsuit that's fucking stupid and make's us look like bay.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #296701

John_Oxford wrote:When you do merge it, do it kind of like how CM did it.

Don't make it just a container, if its attached to your jumpsuit, clicking it should take the first item out of it and put it into your hand immediately.
Clicking and dragging it to your player should be the only way to view what is inside of it.

Meaning that the detective would actually be able to -draw- his weapon fast and security officers would be able to -draw- out a flashbang or tear gas grenade fast.

And -PLEASE- add drawing sounds, make that satisfying leather gun drawing sound play when a weapon is drawn.

Also, adding like one point slings for the HoS to wear so that you can draw out a rifle or energy gun would be neat.

But please for fucks sakes don't just make it a two slot container that goes on your jumpsuit that's fucking stupid and make's us look like bay.
OK code it John
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #296722

captain sawrge wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:When you do merge it, do it kind of like how CM did it.

OK code it John
you got me ill get right on that

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #296761

protip: you can fit a full set of tools including wires and a multitool in your backpack

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #296823

Dr_bee wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:Have you tried using a backpack? I heard those hold things.

The choice for protection or storage is an intersting one though. very similar to how you choose to keep your back slot free to store your shotgun and protect it from being stolen and keep your hands free or do you carry a backpack to hold extra ammo and items with and risk your gun being stolen.

more storage isnt a bad thing if it requires trade offs, like how dufflebags either slow you down or require you carry it in-hand.
Storage Creep is a bad thing. Security will now have backpacks, belts, AND this. Why do you need that many slots? What compels you to carry all those items at once where you fill up literally every slot offerable?

Taking a look at OP's PR, it literally is 4 storage slots of your flavor of sec items [4 flashbang slots without tetris! 4 ammo BOX slots!!!!] and you keep the most common damage protection the game has to offer, melee.

Dufflebags gives you the worse debuff in SS13 that still keeps you alive for like what, 2-3 storage slots more?

UPDATE: You also keep the taser in exosuit slot as well.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #296922

John_Oxford wrote:When
found the mistake

actually found a mistake that said a mistake
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.