Blobs have been nerfed way too much

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Blobs have been nerfed way too much

Post by Bombadil » #310163

When the crew actually gets its shit together at roundstart they will flashbang the blob and then welder whatever remains to death. Blob in high pop is pretty much fucked
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Blobs have been nerfed way too much

Post by Anonmare » #310170

I've been pretty critical of current blob and it's a far cry of the unyielding, robust wall of flesh it used to be.

There really ought to be a longer saving grace period between blobs spawning and the biohazard announcement so they actually have a chance to establish themselves before everyone descends upon them with welders, lasers and even fire extinguishers for the poor bastard stuck with Blazing Oil. Or go back to infection Blob so there can be diversity in tactics and keep things fresh.
Allow Blobs to choose their chemicals and remove the superfluous chems: Explosive Lattice, Blazing Oil, Energised Jelly and Reactive Spines. They're too niche/weak to justify keeping on as potential chems and serve only as new player traps.
Remove player-controlled blobs and return them to their former NPC controlled state and return the Split Mind ability. NPC blobbernauts were a legitimate threat as they could easily tank damage and pursued players with unrelenting abandon while the Split Mind ability allowed Blobs to work together better and cover watch other's flanks. An Overmind can only really give one side its undivided attention at any time.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310181

As the resident blob fanboy, blobs are fine. The only thing they really need is a boost to starting resource values, starting with say 50 instead of 0. Currently, if someone finds you by a fluke as soon as you spawn as blob there's really nothing you can do, but having some resources at the start would at least give you a chance to fight back and possibly survive.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #310221

blobs are a joke now, the only way blobs win these days are if the crew gives little to no effort into killing it, and even then, it has to spawn in a place where someone wont "Accidentially" fuggkeng find it and then it gets destroyed.

The only cool blob type is the one that can constantly move as one organism.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #310232

Give blob goon corpse absorbsion as a power. it gives points and makes someone uncloneable but you cant use them as blob zombies anymore. boom, blobs are a super threat now.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #310239

Blob was much better when it was just a pure brute event and "blobbernauts" didn't exist.

You could balance around that blob since welder brigades could be effective as long as they were strategic about their positioning. Now with diagonal attacks, blobbernauts, and several powerful chemicals that 99% of people will never remember - the tactics and win conditions are far more limited and unenjoyable for everyone except the 2-3 people who get the "iwin" guns late in the round. Blob chems also add a huge unnecessary source of variance. Blobs can be laughably easy or depressingly difficult depending on which chems it gets, thats not really a satisfying outcome for either side.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #310264

My first attempt at blob was completely wrecked after discovery with a box of flashbangs.

They aren't exactly a scarce resource, and I have no idea what the logic is of blobs being incredibly vulnerable to them.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #310320

You should just be given a choice of 3 chems when you first burst, then another 3 when you switch chems. Would make the whole thing more consistent rather than RNG hoping for an OP chem. Blobbernauts should also regen faster, even if the tradeoff is something like less damage/moving slower.

The entire game mode needs to be redesigned a little into something more RTS/Tower Defense-ish.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #310326

I never really cared for blob. The last time I played blob it seemed pretty balanced with a lot of back and forth between the crew and blob, but it didn't really seem like anyone was having much fun. Shoot guns, leave to recharge guns, rinse and repeat for a goddamn hour until we killed the core. Replace gun with welder if you are unlucky. This was maybe two and a half months ago so I don't know if it has been nerfed again since then
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310383

Professor Hangar wrote:My first attempt at blob was completely wrecked after discovery with a box of flashbangs.

They aren't exactly a scarce resource, and I have no idea what the logic is of blobs being incredibly vulnerable to them.
The crew are also incredibly vulnerable to them, and if you get flashbanged near the blob you're very dead.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #311734

Blazing oil is good if you plan on standing i the middle of a plasmafire; last time i won as blob i got blazing oil and plopped down in the toxins storage, giving myself a lot of free time to grow while hell blazed around me, then swapped when people came with the first extinguishers.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #311740

A blob random event once happened right as I got a lava staff from a drake, after I rushed up to the station and found the blob I found that the blob got the lucky break of a lifetime because they were a blazing oil blob, so the lava right under it's core didn't hurt it at all.

Eventually the moron changed flavors though, and the lava melted it. Get prank'd nerd
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311741

Give blob more starting resources.

Half the problem is blobs getting found within 10 seconds of spawning and never even getting the chance to put down even basic upgrades.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #311772

All I can say is
Apply flashbang to blobby face.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311784

Though I get the feeling that a large part of the blob losing power is just that there are more people accustomed to dealing with them.

Usually blobs now get instantly barraged by several emitters and flashbanged to death, while RnD shows up with the xrays 20 minutes in.

Of course you still have the idiots that think burning the blob is a good idea......
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #311789

CPTANT wrote:Give blob more starting resources.

Half the problem is blobs getting found within 10 seconds of spawning and never even getting the chance to put down even basic upgrades.
Also the announcement happens too soon.
There is just not much fun to be had before the blob is established at all.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #311813

I found blob to be unenjoyable since the chemicals were added.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311857

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:I found blob to be unenjoyable since the chemicals were added.
And some chemicals such as blazing oil mean an outright death sentence for the blob as 1 assistant with a fire extinguisher and water tank can destroy him.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #311859

do you guys remember the first few weeks of chemicals where blobs were literally unstoppable

we nerfed it a little too hard

i'll return to my codebabby soon
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #311860

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Professor Hangar wrote:My first attempt at blob was completely wrecked after discovery with a box of flashbangs.

The crew are also incredibly vulnerable to them, and if you get flashbanged near the blob you're very dead.
Just toss more flashbangs. Sec gets one for each officer and entire boxes more, and can order them from cargo. And are resistant to their effects. Who cares if an assistant gets devoured?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311896

Isn't it pretty stupid that flashbangs hurt blobs in the first place?

Why would a sprawling terror biomass give a fuck about a large bang and a flash.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #311900

CPTANT wrote:Isn't it pretty stupid that flashbangs hurt blobs in the first place?

Why would a sprawling terror biomass give a fuck about a large bang and a flash.
because no one uses it right so it normally isn't an issue.
also because get good???
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #311907

just pop in toxins lmao the fire protects you
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311908

kevinz000 wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Isn't it pretty stupid that flashbangs hurt blobs in the first place?

because no one uses it right so it normally isn't an issue.
also because get good???
Not really sure how git gud applies here since I frequently flashbang blobs to death.....
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #311910

Retire blobs already, its a attrition battle the leads into who can deplete each other's enthusiasm first, also blobbernaughts for stealing ghost & revives whittling down the crew is not intuitive, without constant flow of living people a fair footing blob round can't happen.

Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #311921

blobbernauts were never intended to be played by players, I know, I added them.
their original intention and ability was directly injecting players with a reagent called spore_burning (still in-game but not obtainable) that immediately and painfully ignited the victim, this was to counter the fact that at the time people were regularly obtaining 100% melee resistance, which completely ruined blobs.

though the first version of blobbernauts were OP so they were nerfed, and then some point after chemblob someone made them playable.

What were meant to be dumb brutes that if you tricked them into floating off into space... they'd float if into space, became smart creatures that will exploit the shit out of you because they know how people thing (considering they're people themselves)

tl;dr pls return my npc blobbernaut children (and maybe spore_burning) kthnx
私は完璧
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #311922

I remember miners with a fully upgraded hardsuit, security jumpsuit, fully augmented limbs and triple-stacked healing viruses being impossible to put down in melee. They literally outhealed double e-sword damage.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #311926

actually, in that scenario, atleast for melee, the viruses are unneeded.
just the hardsuit (+goliath plates) + sec jumpsuit + augs was enough for 100% melee immunity.

though the viruses certainly help for non-melee damage.
私は完璧
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311927

Remie Richards wrote:blobbernauts were never intended to be played by players, I know, I added them.
their original intention and ability was directly injecting players with a reagent called spore_burning (still in-game but not obtainable) that immediately and painfully ignited the victim, this was to counter the fact that at the time people were regularly obtaining 100% melee resistance, which completely ruined blobs.

though the first version of blobbernauts were OP so they were nerfed, and then some point after chemblob someone made them playable.

What were meant to be dumb brutes that if you tricked them into floating off into space... they'd float if into space, became smart creatures that will exploit the shit out of you because they know how people thing (considering they're people themselves)

tl;dr pls return my npc blobbernaut children (and maybe spore_burning) kthnx
Player controlled blobbernauts are the only counter blob have against emitters though.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #311928

Swap core. Eating the emitter. Chemical change.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #311929

Return NPC Blobbernauts. Remove chemicals from blob and buff Blob damage to 30 brute per hit. Give them two minutes period of saving grace, or, give them greatly reduced resource costs intiially so they can establish themselves
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #311930

ShadowDimentio wrote:Swap core. Eating the emitter. Chemical change.

eating the emitter doesn't work since you can place the emitter on the other end of the station.

The only chemical that is beneficial against emitters is replicating foam and what chemical you get is random. So for 40 points you get a 1 in 13 chance of something helpful. Bonus points for rolling one of 3 chemical types that take increased fire damage.

Swapping cores cost a whopping 80 resources and a node while the emitters still shoot the crap out of everything that isn't your core.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #311948

I dont see why we don't just weaponise cores enough, buy a tendril that like a baseball bat swats away people in its radius etc.

Spoiler:
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #311981

one time i spawned as a random event blob in toxins, the autogrow automatically hit open a plasma canister then busted a light like 3 secs in

i died