Crashes & freezes

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Crashes & freezes

Post by kosmos » #24311

Am I the only one who's BYOND acts like a piece of shit at least once every round? Most often in the end of the round it just freezes, or while in the escape shuttle.

...Or on every fucking occasion when I'm the security officer and SHIT STARTS HAPPENING when it fucking chooses to freeze for 1 minute + 30 second Diablo 3 commercial when I start BYOND again! Holy fuck. To think I was this close to supporting this shit with real money.

Oh and the text screen also gets funky once in a while, I don't even have to scroll the text log to get it to just focus on some upper part of the text, it just won't move down when new text comes, people saying stuff, it'll just get stuck somewhere up and I have to scroll down to see what's going on at the moment. Anyone else getting this? Or should I just change to Linux?

Here's a thread-breaking pic of the situation:
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: Crashes & freezes

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24314

Well, I don't have freezes, but every now and then I lose connection. It reconnects, but it's like 20 seconds in key situations (always, always when shit hits the fan), it's really annoying.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #24333

Mine freezes whenever I click on the text area, to do something like reply to an adminhelp. I can't reply to admin pm without clicking the admin name (adminhelp " doesn't work) so it basically makes any meaningful communication in that situation impossible. And that happens at the one time where communication is probably the most important.

That, and setting arrest records with HUD via text side. Freezes then too.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #24335

I used to get this tons and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Not sure what fixed it though, since I'm fine nowadays.

Try updating BYOND to the latest client, your graphics drivers, and try updating internet explorer (Which is what I believe what handles the chat box).

Do you have a tablet connected to your computer? I've noticed them cause lots of trouble for others and I lately.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #24354

Cheimon wrote:Mine freezes whenever I click on the text area, to do something like reply to an adminhelp. I can't reply to admin pm without clicking the admin name (adminhelp " doesn't work) so it basically makes any meaningful communication in that situation impossible. And that happens at the one time where communication is probably the most important.

That, and setting arrest records with HUD via text side. Freezes then too.
Yeah, I get the same issue. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the cursor updating. Like, if it's a slow round and there isn't much text scrolling upwards, it's fine to click on the text window. If there is a lot of text coming in such as like attack spam on the shuttle, it's sure to freeze up.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #24379

Good to hear that other people aren't getting this shit so constantly, I'll try to update drivers and everything and report if something clearly fixes stuff. Just checked and my IE 11 has automatic updates on. Got Windows 7.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #24383

Drives me insane.

I get freezes where the screen stops updating but I'm still playing and text is fine. Seems to be related to certain combinations of in-game windows or me alt+tabbing a lot because of having two monitors.

Also I get a really strange bug sometimes when I open up the server logs, where any command I enter into the bar doesn't register randomly, so that I have to slam spacebar and delete after the say command until it registers that it's something acceptable.

I mainly find restarting annoying because I end up losing 40 seconds of logs and then I have to open the server log and it happens again and holy fuck video games why do you hate me.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24390

kosmos wrote:Just checked and my IE 11 has automatic updates on.
I don't, no freezes.

Oh, sometimes stuff I say doesn't show up in my logs, but other people seem to see it.
slammo1

Game crashes when receiving messages

Post by slammo1 » #24897

Does anyone else have this problem? I just got this computer for xmas so I don't think it is a problem with being out of date or anything, SS13 isn't exactly graphics intensive and I can run plenty of games fine no issues. A lot of times when I get a PM from admins or a PDA message, the client freezes and goes gray, though I can still hear the game going on- only way to resolve is to close and restart client. I have the most recent BYOND client, is there anything I can do to avoid this in the future? Has led to a lot of confusion when I get messages from an admin when asked in the occasional instance to explain or clarify actions, and then it appears I log off immediately.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Re: Game crashes when receiving messages

Post by Aranclanos » #24910

When you get those messages, in your client, some href links appear. Basically to answer the admin or PDA. I never heard of this happening to you could check out your IE preferences or try stuff related to it.
I accept donations, click here
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: Game crashes when receiving messages

Post by MrStonedOne » #24949

What Aran said.

The common factor is that those are among the few messages a player gets in game that contains links in them.

To test this out, play as ai, as every radio message contains a link to track them. You can also ask an admin to turn you into one in the thunder dome with a radio to test. (point them to this thread to increase the likelihood they will, but its still the admins decision)

To fix:No fucking idea. Reinstall IE, Reset its settings. Upgrade it if there is an update, Post this to byond forums for help there.

None the less, I'm gonna add a admin note to your profile stating that you reported this as an issue, and requesting admins who deal with you to wait a bit longer for you to come back before ding dong banu and suggesting they contact you via SM (the 'a voice in you head' message) since that contains no links. It will be up to individual admin rather or not they believe the story or follow the advise or even read the notes before hand.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #25327

If this is the one where the text gets backed up and fucks up when it starts showing it the only way to stop it is to not click in the text box so it doesn't back up.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy