AI Malfunction, Doomsday and Shunting.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

AI Malfunction, Doomsday and Shunting.

Post by Hulkamania » #324614

Hey all

Had a question about the current state of AI Malfunction in regards to the Doomsday device. I rolled a traitor AI a few days ago, after purchasing the doomsday module and starting the countdown, I eventually shunted to an APC after some time. The countdown continued as normal, however once my core was destroyed the countdown ceased and I was just stuck in an APC with nothing to do (other than taunt the station). I ahelped this with an admin, I was always under the assumption (As I remember back when malf was it's own game mode this was the case) that shunting was a way for you to extend the timer, but was told that it was just to keep you alive.

I took this as an unfortunate incident, then yesterday a tip of the round indicated that shunting was a way to delay the crew, so I was looking to get some insight into this.

In addition, the captain's pinpointer did NOT point to the location of my APC. I'm not sure if this is working as intended or the information out there is just outdated.

Thanks!
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: AI Malfunction, Doomsday and Shunting.

Post by CPTANT » #324615

I never understood why shunting is even in the game, what does being an AI that can't do anything add to it?
Last edited by CPTANT on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Post by Hulkamania » #324666

I agree, if I had known that shunting wouldn't let the doomsday timer continue, I would've just bought the borg machine from the getgo.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #324670

Artefact code and tip from when malf was its own gamemode. The pinpointer will point to you when you're nuking but I don't think it points to you if you're not.

Honestly you should be able to retain your ability to see through cameras while shunted, it made sense to restrict them when it was a game mode and shunting didn't stop the countdown but now it's the equivalent of stripping and bucklecuffing yourself in a locked room
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Post by Hulkamania » #324674

Granted, I still had control over everything in my immediate area after shunting, I could still interact with machines but only in the immediate area.

It just needs some kind of rework, there's no point to it in it's current state apart from staying alive for greentext purposes.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #325959

When I asked the response was to win a survive objective.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #326478

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:When I asked the response was to win a survive objective.
Winning by making yourself so useless that nobody even cares about killing you?

Just scrap shunting already.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
DrWoofington
Byond Username: Evsey9

Post by DrWoofington » #326485

>A feature exists solely to allow greentext
Literally why
Encourages playing for greentext