Serious discussion - Cats, High RP, Furries & Petting

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Serious discussion - Cats, High RP, Furries & Petting

Post by Qbopper » #355414

Bottom post of the previous page:

confused rock wrote:I dont think it can attract furries
First off itd be degenerates/neckbeards/weebs/whatevers, and I think they’re already here

still a meaningless statement

I think it allows the degenerates/weebs to show off as if it were promoted by cats existing, though I guess that isnt too different. I cant think of a reason for it to exist byond to give them a platform for nya nya :3 and ignoring their job to run around in a skirt regardless of gender or go nude. As I cant think of anything else cats add I do not like them.(Violently hate them)

not everything needs an explicit reason to exist, and if it makes other people happy why do you give a shit

Youve yet to hear a legitimate reason to remove them, and I’ve yet to hear a legitimate reason to keep them that my brain can process.

"i hate them" is not a valid reason and if they don't do their jobs that's a different matter entirely, just because you have thin skin about some people saying nya means nothing
Limey wrote:its too late.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355415

should probably add that i don't actually give a shit if cats are removed or not
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #355519

can you please break up your quotes holy shit it's been triggering me for months now
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355549

thot_slayer wrote:can you please break up your quotes holy shit it's been triggering me for months now
i was unironically doing this to see if people would call me out and someone finally did
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #355550

obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #355589

What benefits do catpeople add to the game?
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #355594

The same benefit as hairstyles, as opposed to everyone spawning bald.

Cosmetic customization choices that player are able to enjoy.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #355597

Slignerd wrote:The same benefit as hairstyles, as opposed to everyone spawning bald.

Cosmetic customization choices that player are able to enjoy.
Cosmetic customization choices that also imply an additional layer of characterization. A character's race is important to RP features like background and motivation. It has in-round effects through current policy by limiting the sorts of interactions the player can have with the AI and limiting the player's options to access certain roles. It affects how a different player character may react to them and may color that character's choice in phrasing to communicate with the non-human character. Non-human characters may react differently to the presence of another non-human character in their workplace or department. They may react differently in casual interaction with another character of a non-human race.

This list could really go on for a damn long time but the "but what's the point of other races" is a question for a lack of trying.
obscolene

Post by obscolene » #355601

cedarbridge wrote:A character's race is important to RP features like background and motivation.
Please stop pretending that people play as cats for intricate background and roleplay. They do it because they watch anime and want to play as a girl with cat ears, no other reason. Even if it were true, there's nothing that being a catperson would add to either of those things any more than being a normal human would.
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #355603

obscolene wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:A character's race is important to RP features like background and motivation.
Please stop pretending that
Why are you going into this in bad faith? If you're going to pretend that an argument isn't made because you prefer your strawman then don't bother asking and just post your strawman.

You also imply that race has no impact on background and motivation but provide no evidence to back up your claim. Were your assertion true, Spock would have been the same character and developed in the same way with the same depth had he just been a "normal" human.
obscolene

Post by obscolene » #355607

cedarbridge wrote:
obscolene wrote:
Please stop pretending that
Why are you going into this in bad faith? If you're going to pretend that an argument isn't made because you prefer your strawman then don't bother asking and just post your strawman.
Because I know you're intelligent enough to come to the conclusion that people don't play as cats for any reason other than for the sake of playing a catperson. I'd hope you realize this fact. Maybe on other servers, people use the catperson race to actively create character background and roleplay, and I'm sure it could be as viable as whatever wacky alien races they have. However, I believe that on /tg/, this is not the case at all.
cedarbridge wrote:You also imply that race has no impact on background and motivation but provide no evidence to back up your claim. Were your assertion true, Spock would have been the same character and developed in the same way with the same depth had he just been a "normal" human.
A strawman for a strawman, I suppose. I did not claim that race has no impact, I claimed that catpeople in specific have no impact. There's a difference between Spock and Snowy McFlake #320, because one of their races has pages upon pages of backstory and purpose to their existence -- the other one is a human but with a cat ears and tail. Literally nothing else. No reason at all for existing other than, "I like anime, lol."
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #355628

OT: wasn't Spock supposed to be the first Vulcan to join Starfleet? Then why do we see a black Vulcan admiral in Discovery which is set before TOS?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #355633

why do permabanned players and people who barely if ever connect still try to change the game to their liking with whiny forum posts is it that hard to step away?
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #355657

kevinz000 wrote:why do permabanned players and people who barely if ever connect still try to change the game to their liking with whiny forum posts is it that hard to step away?
They have a point tho

Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #355663

Togopal wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:why do permabanned players and people who barely if ever connect still try to change the game to their liking with whiny forum posts is it that hard to step away?
They have a point tho

Not really. This has been gone over so many times and what they keep spouting is not a valid point on /tg/.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #355664

Togopal wrote:
They have a point tho
yeah and we had 2 server votes on this topic already.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #355673

Nya~
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #355682

Qbopper wrote:should probably add that i don't actually give a shit if cats are removed or not
You just wrote super fucking hard and are saying you dont care?
How is them not doint their job another issue entirely if it promotes it? I still havent heard you say why keep them besides “why not stop being salty”
Plus cats can be confusing for the AI.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #355686

confused rock wrote:Plus cats can be confusing for the AI.
They're not, the policy is clear on catpeople being nonhuman and most players are well-aware of that.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #355695

Rustledjimm wrote:
Togopal wrote:
They have a point tho

Not really. This has been gone over so many times and what they keep spouting is not a valid point on /tg/.
Actually it is a valid point

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #355699

obscolene wrote:Because I know you're intelligent enough to come to the conclusion that people don't play as cats for any reason other than for the sake of playing a catperson. I'd hope you realize this fact.
Its been a while since I saw the "if you were smart like me you'd agree with me" thing. You literally don't play on this server. Why are you making blanket statements about what other players do and why they do them and then pretend that your observations are concrete fact? You're being pointlessly reductive. "People don't do X for any reason other than to do X." No shit. People make choices intentionally. I intentionally chose for my character to have white hair. If you said "you didn't do it for any reason other than for the sake of playing a character with white hair" you'd still be just as wrong as you are about cats.
Maybe on other servers, people use the catperson race to actively create character background and roleplay, and I'm sure it could be as viable as whatever wacky alien races they have. However, I believe that on /tg/, this is not the case at all.
I mean, if my entire perception of catperson characters was gleened from Discord I'd think that only Shezza, Kev, and Mint played them. I guess from that sample I'd also assume that their qualities speak to all cat people because those are the only players who do play cat people (based on this stupidly tiny sample.) I mean, if you're going to pull the "people don't roleplay" thing then there's little reason for any cosmetic or racial differences at all. Everyone should just have grey jumpsuits and identical hair and skin tones. Obviously these things don't exist to make characters distinct or different from each other and players just choose those things for the sake of choosing them (or randomizing into them I guess.)

A strawman for a strawman, I suppose. I did not claim that race has no impact, I claimed that catpeople in specific have no impact. There's a difference between Spock and Snowy McFlake #320, because one of their races has pages upon pages of backstory and purpose to their existence -- the other one is a human but with a cat ears and tail. Literally nothing else. No reason at all for existing other than, "I like anime, lol."
>if I invoke the snowflake meme that makes things different somehow

TG lore is wide open because we have a very small canon. That's not a prohibition on character creation but rather allows players to basically create whatever they want in the empty space as long as 1) it works for them 2) it follows the rules 3) they can get other players to play along. Other servers codify their lore so everyone is on the same page, but to say that our lack of it suddenly makes player choice cease to matter is fairly lazy.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #355701

Slignerd wrote:
They're not, the policy is clear on catpeople being nonhuman and most players are well-aware of that.
Thats the worst part. Cat ears arent easy to spot and cats sound like humans. What if a cat loses its ears and tail? If a lizard diguises it has to stay silent unless it gets a tongue transplant and at easiest wear a firesuit with balaclava for the tail. Cat is “whoops, he was wearing a hat and looking from the wrong angle”
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #355702

confused rock wrote:
Slignerd wrote:
Thats the worst part. Cat ears arent easy to spot and cats sound like humans. What if a cat loses its ears and tail? If a lizard diguises it has to stay silent unless it gets a tongue transplant and at easiest wear a firesuit with balaclava for the tail. Cat is “whoops, he was wearing a hat and looking from the wrong angle”
I'm not seeing an issue here. SS13 is not a perfect information game and shouldn't be.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355715

confused rock wrote:
Qbopper wrote:should probably add that i don't actually give a shit if cats are removed or not
You just wrote super fucking hard and are saying you dont care?

i don't care if they get removed or not but i'm going to call out retarded arguments for being retarded, this is literally "i don't like them"

How is them not doint their job another issue entirely if it promotes it? I still havent heard you say why keep them besides “why not stop being salty”

how does it promote it? cat/lizard players not doing their jobs to shitpost is a player issue and not related to the role, there's nothing inherent about cats/lizards that makes you ignore your job

i still haven't heard a reason to remove them beyond "i hate cats"

Plus cats can be confusing for the AI.

lol
Togopal wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:
Togopal wrote:
They have a point tho

Actually it is a valid point
togopal pls
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #355755

Local man that isnt mad or thin skinned calls an argument retarded twice in the same sentence, thinks it isnt particularly common for catgirls to run around saying nya rather than doing their job compared to other races. Local man literally doesnt care.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #355756

confused rock wrote:Local man that isnt mad or thin skinned calls an argument retarded twice in the same sentence, thinks it isnt particularly common for assistants to run around saying viva rather than doing something useful compared to other crewmembers.
cedarbridge wrote:
confused rock wrote:Thats the worst part. Cat ears arent easy to spot and cats sound like humans. What if a cat loses its ears and tail? If a lizard diguises it has to stay silent unless it gets a tongue transplant and at easiest wear a firesuit with balaclava for the tail. Cat is “whoops, he was wearing a hat and looking from the wrong angle”
I'm not seeing an issue here. SS13 is not a perfect information game and shouldn't be.
This. At the end of the day, catpeople add an interesting dynamic to the station, allowing you to play around with their mechanics.
Last edited by Slignerd on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #355758

cedarbridge wrote:
confused rock wrote:
Slignerd wrote:
Talking inconsistency since cats are organs now, I can imagine people ahelping the AI beating the cat in the hat since it looks human. Cat getting ears removed is human harm if they got no tail possibly? Revs already a clusterfuck for example, dont need more confusion with all this.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #355760

confused rock wrote:Talking inconsistency since cats are organs now, I can imagine people ahelping the AI beating the cat in the hat since it looks human. Cat getting ears removed is human harm if they got no tail possibly? Revs already a clusterfuck for example, dont need more confusion with all this.
You're coming up with non-existent problems.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #355762

You’re coming up with non existent mechanics then, only things cats do special is get hearing damage and maybe the ai will listen to them if confused.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #355764

theunlovedrock

obscolene

fantasticfwoosh

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #355775

confused rock wrote:You’re coming up with non existent mechanics then, only things cats do special is get hearing damage and maybe the ai will listen to them if confused.
When cat organs are removed, they become AI legal humans straight up. In my next example arbitarily because they are already nonhuman, it is like saying that removing the legs from a lizard now makes them a "Snake" set to a different series of game rules (besides the obvious you have no legs & arms) despite being lizard species. Lazy, pointless and only a set of certain players are going to play snakes anyway and slither around *booping* people and hissing running off the back of lizard code.

This is a image of catperson of the most unacceptable but undeniable literal definition attempting to commit human harm for the AI to be able to act in response without question. Its all old ground i've talked about already but its perfectly legal as a antagonist to set AI laws to forcibly convert all catpeople on the station back into humans with borg conducted surgery if admins aren't going to intervene with a rule 0 (which really shows a lot) in which case sympathetic people might help them convert back

I have other things to do urgh, just cut the chase and settle this thread please, stop pulling me back by bumping it unless you actually have something meaningful to say i really don't want to see this again.

Spoiler:
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #355777

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
confused rock wrote:You’re coming up with non existent mechanics then, only things cats do special is get hearing damage and maybe the ai will listen to them if confused.
When cat organs are removed, they become AI legal humans straight up. In my next example arbitarily because they are already nonhuman, it is like saying that removing the legs from a lizard now makes them a "Snake" set to a different series of game rules (besides the obvious you have no legs & arms) despite being lizard species. Lazy, pointless and only a set of certain players are going to play snakes anyway and slither around *booping* people and hissing running off the back of lizard code.

This is a image of catperson of the most unacceptable but undeniable literal definition attempting to commit human harm for the AI to be able to act in response without question. Its all old ground i've talked about already but its perfectly legal as a antagonist to set AI laws to forcibly convert all catpeople on the station back into humans with borg conducted surgery if admins aren't going to intervene with a rule 0 (which really shows a lot) in which case sympathetic people might help them convert back

I have other things to do urgh, just cut the chase and settle this thread please, stop pulling me back by bumping it unless you actually have something meaningful to say i really don't want to see this again.
Seek help
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #355778

captain sawrge wrote:Seek help
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #355853

Should I relearn to code to add snakes as a species?
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #355855

cedarbridge wrote:Seek help
This goes out to you too, rock.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #355858

confused rock wrote:Should I relearn to code to add snakes as a species?
yeah
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #355862

Literally the best part of catpeople on tg is reading all the posts of cat haters and imagining them sitting at their computers smashing the keys on their keyboards SO HARD while they type another time honored post about how other people liking a thing they dont like (in many cases for a game they no longer play) with their faces all red and screwed up in a look of constant pent-up anus frustration. It never gets old.

The ultimate "stop liking what i dont like NOW"
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #355863

cedarbridge wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:Seek help
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #355864

Wyzack wrote:Literally the best part of catpeople on tg is reading all the posts of cat haters and imagining them sitting at their computers smashing the keys on their keyboards SO HARD while they type another time honored post about how other people liking a thing they dont like (in many cases for a game they no longer play) with their faces all red and screwed up in a look of constant pent-up anus frustration. It never gets old.

For me its the mcchicken
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355896

Kor wrote:theunlovedrock

obscolene

fantasticfwoosh

lmao
Wyzack wrote:Literally the best part of catpeople on tg is reading all the posts of cat haters and imagining them sitting at their computers smashing the keys on their keyboards SO HARD while they type another time honored post about how other people liking a thing they dont like (in many cases for a game they no longer play) with their faces all red and screwed up in a look of constant pent-up anus frustration. It never gets old.

good post
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #355924

obscolene

fantasticfwoosh

you shouldn't make these posts because it just makes you seem like you don't have any other argument
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #355925

how come blacks dont play baseball
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #355928

I think whether or not someone is part of the community is relevant to a discussion largely about whether we're attracting the wrong people to the community.

Catering to people who have loudly and publicly quit or are permabanned and have no intention of playing the game either way seems like a losing proposition.

It takes enough time and effort to listen to and engage and debate and compromise with people who are actively involved and contributing (like you, that is why I respond with real posts to you) without also trying to please people who have no stake in things except to argue for fun.
obscolene

Post by obscolene » #355934

Kor wrote:I think whether or not someone is part of the community is relevant to a discussion largely about whether we're attracting the wrong people to the community.

Catering to people who have loudly and publicly quit or are permabanned and have no intention of playing the game either way seems like a losing proposition.

It takes enough time and effort to listen to and engage and debate and compromise with people who are actively involved and contributing (like you, that is why I respond with real posts to you) without also trying to please people who have no stake in things except to argue for fun.
So you mean if I drive off the people who disagree with me, I can discredit their opinions entirely because they left? :surprised:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #355935

obscolene wrote:
Kor wrote:I think whether or not someone is part of the community is relevant to a discussion largely about whether we're attracting the wrong people to the community.

So you mean if I drive off the people who disagree with me, I can discredit their opinions entirely because they left? :surprised:
Ye
obscolene

Post by obscolene » #355936

captain sawrge wrote:
obscolene wrote:

Ye
I hereby renounce all of my arguments as meaningless and to be ignored.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #355941

thot_slayer wrote:

obscolene

fantasticfwoosh

you shouldn't make these posts because it just makes you seem like you don't have any other argument

I mean, if you ignore all the other posts then maybe.

There is a point in being that they don't play here anymore so why should they 1. Care about what happens in a server they don't/can't play and 2. Why should we let them try to affect the server when they are no longer players.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #355948

Why should we try to improve our restauraunt? why bother cleaning up the pile of liquid shit on the wall? There's no customers who come in for it to effect anyway.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #355950

confused rock wrote:Why should we try to improve our restauraunt? why bother cleaning up the pile of liquid shit on the wall? There's no customers who come in for it to effect anyway.
...?
obscolene

Post by obscolene » #355952

captain sawrge wrote:
confused rock wrote:Why should we try to improve our restauraunt? why bother cleaning up the pile of liquid shit on the wall? There's no customers who come in for it to effect anyway.
...?
I believe he's implying the people who do eat at the restaurant are unaffected by the liquid shit on the wall, because the people who do not like it simply do not eat at the restaurant.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #355953

oic thanks for clearing it up