Techwebs & Bags of Holding

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Techwebs & Bags of Holding

Post by Hathkar » #376213

So as it stands now, it's not hard to get two Bags of Holding within five minutes of shift start if the miners bring up some minerals. This means extremely low effort BoH bombs, which tend to end the round immediately. So if you want to end the round at any time, you can walk/break into R&D, print the bags, and boom! And this isn't even accounting for someone who sets up an autocloner so they can BoH multiple times.

Solutions:

BoH bombs now make an explosion, which is closer to source material joke of BoHs.
Simply remove BoH bombs.
Increases BoH costs.
The singularity made by BoHs only lasts a short period of time.

Also hugbox.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Techwebs & Bags of Holding

Post by Dr_bee » #376217

Hathkar wrote:So as it stands now, it's not hard to get two Bags of Holding within five minutes of shift start if the miners bring up some minerals. This means extremely low effort BoH bombs, which tend to end the round immediately. So if you want to end the round at any time, you can walk/break into R&D, print the bags, and boom! And this isn't even accounting for someone who sets up an autocloner so they can BoH multiple times.

Solutions:

BoH bombs now make an explosion, which is closer to source material joke of BoHs.
Simply remove BoH bombs.
Increases BoH costs.
The singularity made by BoHs only lasts a short period of time.

Also hugbox.
Yeah BoHs originally required using botany or cargo to get the research levels, now they are obtained before you even get femto manips.

Easy BoH bombs causes the same problem the old singularity engine caused, and should be rethought, either by making them require a higher level of research or nerfing the bomb effect itself.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #376218

Just push them farther up the tech web, I guess
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #376220

How often does this actually happen though? Not counting the post-round centcom dock griff fest
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #376221

Ending your post with hugbox doesn't mean it's not true.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #376231

Simultaneous threads for "I miss the singularity destroying the station" and "singularities destroy the station too easily"

Makes me think
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #376232

Kor wrote:Simultaneous threads for "I miss the singularity destroying the station" and "singularities destroy the station too easily"

Makes me think
I miss the singularity destroyong the station. It seems like supermatter only ever explodes or goes tesla never singulo
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #376233

Remove BOH bomb.
put there another way to make singulo.but much more difficult one.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #376272

Selea wrote:Remove BOH bomb.
It already exists, it is called delaminating the SM correctly.
Kor wrote:Simultaneous threads for "I miss the singularity destroying the station" and "singularities destroy the station too easily"

Makes me think
People missing the singularity are like people who call for nations rounds, they like the IDEA of it, but in practice it is horrible and unfun.
Selea

Post by Selea » #376274

you can't correctly delaminate SM everywhere.Or it takes too much effort.Need something more easy.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #376276

Delaminating the SM into singulo, and building defenses to stop anyone trying to fix it, is easy and doesn't take that long if nobody is paying attention.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #376337

A rapidly decaying singulo could work
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #376348

XDTM wrote:A rapidly decaying singulo could work
Still should be higher on the tech web anyway. BoH's used to be rare because of the effort they required, and storage items are possibly the most powerful equipment choice in the game.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #376349

Alternatively make putting a boh in another just teleport it randomly in the zlevel, so we don't have to balance a storage item and a WMD as the same item
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #376353

Dr_bee wrote:
Selea wrote:Remove BOH bomb.
It already exists, it is called delaminating the SM correctly.

Makes me think
People missing the singularity are like people who call for nations rounds, they like the IDEA of it, but in practice it is horrible and unfun.
slander and lies.

i hate nations and i love the singularity. get your facts straight
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #376369

BOH'S were never hard to make though, all you needed was bluespace crystals and a phazon torso, and you're good. It was super fuckin easy before and it's super fuckin easy now, only difference is you don't need to depend on mining bringing back bluespace crystals.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #376370

didnt a phazon torso require high levels in most techs though...
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #376372

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:didnt a phazon torso require high levels in most techs though...
depends on what you consider "high", maybe it's just because I was taught R&D by duke fuckin hayka himself, but I was printing off a BoH every single round I was RD without fail unless I died or the miners didn't deliver.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #376578

Pre-techwebs, Phazon torsos were printable roundstart (as soon as you had 10 plasma sheets, from miners or engineering storage) and worth +13 tech levels and +5ish if you printed a second one
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #376659

why don't you make all the techs not 2.5k sans weapons hmmm!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #376667

SpaceInaba wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:didnt a phazon torso require high levels in most techs though...
depends on what you consider "high", maybe it's just because I was taught R&D by duke fuckin hayka himself, but I was printing off a BoH every single round I was RD without fail unless I died or the miners didn't deliver.
The lesson after that was to never get plasma 6

I swear greytide can smell a protolathe with a BoH available from miles away
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #376669

XDTM wrote:
SpaceInaba wrote:
The lesson after that was to never get plasma 6

I swear greytide can smell a protolathe with a BoH available from miles away
I popped all the diamonds and bluespace crystals out after I printed it out and kept them on my person at all times
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #376671

I've been pushing this line for ages.

The moment we added that OOC prompt to the IC actions we basically admitted that it's current effect was game breaking.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #376695

Ok, but seriously - is this even a common issue? Do people regularly use this feature?
Selea

Post by Selea » #376706

At second thought, I think, that BoH needs not explosion, but implosion.A lot like regular explosion, but all the shit is flying to center.
Also liquid dark matter/sorium could be buffed to be actually dangerous.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #376726

if the issue is that it happens too early make it locked behind another few layers in the tech web so that it can't happen as early instead of gutting it you fucking savages
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #376761

PKPenguin321 wrote:if the issue is that it happens to early make it locked behind another few layers in the tech web so that it can't happen as early instead of gutting it you fucking savages
OR JUST MAKE META TECH NOT 2.5K ffffff
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #377117

Makes me think
I don't really see a contradiction there. People want singularity to be an endgame strategy that antags can work towards.
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #377168

How about a progress bar and big red text announcement that "______ is attempting to shove a bag of holding into another! Oh noes!" Gives time to react to people nearby, and requires some set up by the person if they wanna get a target specifically with it, and not just set it loose in some random abandoned spot.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #377331

Seriously though, it should be difficult but attainable. Previously, I would be able to end the round in about 2 minutes using 0-6 TC depending upon whether I was too lazy to grab the required gear myself. Moving to the supermatter was definitely a step in the right direction, but now it feels impossible to spawn a singularity even if you try. If a traitor decides that releasing a singularity is how they want to go about the round, they should be able to given enough time and effort. I've always been of the opinion that antags should get more dangerous with time. It adds a sense of excitement and urgency, especially for security.