Gang Mode Playtest Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Re: Gang Mode Playtest Feedback

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #32804

Bottom post of the previous page:

Maybe we should have a Second in Command who becomes gang boss if the First one dies, Like a Real Mafia.
Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #32806

Wizardjenkins66 wrote:Maybe we should have a Second in Command who becomes gang boss if the First one dies, Like a Real Mafia.
One person is just to few we need something like this. People die quickly.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #32842

I want a verb specific to individual gangs that lets me throw up gang signs specific to that gang. Because MUH IMMERSHIONS. And [spoiler]RP[/spoiler]
/vg/station Head Admin
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #32845

Wizardjenkins66 wrote:Maybe we should have a Second in Command who becomes gang boss if the First one dies, Like a Real Mafia.
The second in command will end up undermining the gang boss to take his throne once he dies. I love it.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #32863

Oldman Robustin wrote:Shuttles have windows too m8.
I know that. "Walling off special shuttle location" includes walling off windows.

Look, any antag shuttle that has fixed location is gonna run into the same problems as nuke ops shuttle, only worse, because that one at least can move into different locations. Nuke op shuttle has some of the most ridiculous policies tied to it to fix that, so yeah.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #32876

The changes will be incremental. I won't be adding too many layers at once. The idea is to playtest the changes often and make decisions based on how the playtests go.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/5055
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #32896

Ikarrus wrote:- TODO: A way to spawn pistols and colored jumpsuits for your gang
Maybe Bosses could have a special ability of dispensing unlimited jumpsuits of their choice of color from the cloth bins in Medbay & locker room?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #33033

My issue still remains that the mode was apparently designed without considering what sec would do about all of this. I mean, its a mode that looks and smells like rev and involves station-wide chaos and probably combat, but apparently sec is supposed to just stay out of it?

Is my only option as warden still "baton them until they're unable to move and then MAYBE let them go?"
Antimattercarp
Byond Username: Antimattercarp

Post by Antimattercarp » #33055

From what I see, for sec it is basically a situation of "Looks like rev, quacks like rev, not rev". It needs to be very distinct in some way from the "Oh god no" roundtype as sec
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #33058

Probably should make it that gang members can't just go murderbonemcgreyshirt on people (without their boss's orders). Then basically say 'these organisations aren't illegal', so unless they're committing crimes (possession of weapons/forced recruiting/whatever) sec should let them be/keep an eye on them.

Basically sec should treat them as like a book club/DnD group/circlejerk, until they have reason to believe they're causing crime. Or something. I unno.

BASICALLY, fucking RP on our RP server, bothe sec and antags.

Edit: Since we've been talking about a reliable deconvert method, I thought to myself that since the deconvert message is something about 'giving up a life of crime' (I could be utterly wrong but whatever), why not make the deconversion beating them with SPACE LAW X number of times? Or like, forced SPACE LAW reading, to deconvert over X period of time?
I never liked 'apply blunt object to head' deconversion not only because it's not consistant, but there is (a slim) chance that during combat you could get deconverted, which is just plain awkward. Now you could totally have lawyers in the brig beating the crime out of people with SPACE LAW.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #33060

I'm afraid it doesn't meet the goal of having deconversions at least as easy for other gangs to do as it is for security.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #33061

Can't you mass print them from the library or something? Or even just patch people directly over to your gang, with the recaller/boss totem thing.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #33090

To be honest I don't think there should be any deconversion period because once you're a thug you're always a thug. Unless you get caught by the fuzz and you rat your homies out in which case you just become a little bitch.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #33097

"Snitches get stitches." That's because in order to deconvert a gang member and turn him into a snitch, you have to perform invasive surgery to remove the implant that the conversion pen inserted.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #33099

Arete wrote:you have to perform invasive surgery to remove the implant that the conversion pen inserted.
And like magic we're right back into "beat them in the head untill they stop being an antag" which in this case now means "dead".
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #36197

So what drama yet again stopped development of a new, interesting game mode, and how can we fix it?
Saintish
Byond Username: Saintish

Post by Saintish » #36211

Alright, so I've got an idea for deconverting, right? So, the 'harder' a gang member is, the tougher it is to deconvert them. If they've executed three people and been shot in the leg a few times, it's extra-tough, for example.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #36234

lumipharon wrote:So what drama yet again stopped development of a new, interesting game mode, and how can we fix it?
Ikarrus basically quit because Steelpoint added an airlock leading from incinerator down into south west maint, which was a logical place to put it and would make it a lot more convenient, but Ikarrus apparently didn't like anyone touching his special snowflake so much, that he deleted his github account. May be there's something else to it, I dunno. And, well, the only hope is probably that someone else picks it up.
Saintish wrote:Alright, so I've got an idea for deconverting, right? So, the 'harder' a gang member is, the tougher it is to deconvert them. If they've executed three people and been shot in the leg a few times, it's extra-tough, for example.
Damage making them "tougher" would me an interesting mechanic if it wasn't so easy to just beat yourself up and heal afterwards.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #36240

I'm just on break. If someone else wants to pick this up in the mean time they are welcome to.

I apologize to everyone who was looking forward to its development.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?