AI defense is getting ridiculous

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Re: AI defense is getting ridiculous

Post by MMMiracles » #38128

Bottom post of the previous page:

How to rain on any MALF/subverted ai's parade:

Learn telescience
Make bomb
Teleport bomb to core
*beep* *beep*
PROFIT
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Nexendia
Byond Username: Nexendia

Post by Nexendia » #38130

MMMiracles wrote:How to rain on any MALF/subverted ai's parade:

Learn telescience
Make bomb
Teleport bomb to core
*beep* *beep*
PROFIT
Only takes 4-8 minutes to get the equipment ready and usable.
っぽい
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #38134

Learn telescience
Make bomb
Teleport bomb to core
*beep* *beep*
PROFIT
If a malf AI didn't assblast toxins and shut down telesci they deserved it. That doesn't make the act robust (I did it twice in one day and still felt good about it mind you) it just makes the AI sloppy. Like not turning off the RD console or shutting off comms. I've had malf AI's animate the damn telesci control console in front of me just because they knew I could and would bomb them with it.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #38146

Nexendia wrote:

Learn telescience
Make bomb
Teleport bomb to core
*beep* *beep*
PROFIT
Only takes 4-8 minutes to get the equipment ready and usable.
cedarbridge wrote:

Learn telescience
Make bomb
Teleport bomb to core
*beep* *beep*
PROFIT
If a malf AI didn't assblast toxins and shut down telesci they deserved it. That doesn't make the act robust (I did it twice in one day and still felt good about it mind you) it just makes the AI sloppy. Like not turning off the RD console or shutting off comms. I've had malf AI's animate the damn telesci control console in front of me just because they knew I could and would bomb them with it.
Odds are by time an ai does go MALF, there's a fairly good chance toxins has already gotten a bomb mix ready, and telescience (if there is any) has already nicked an extra crystal and upgraded the pad's capacitor. Maybe its just me, but I always carry a toolbox when doing science shit, so those camersa would be cut pretty quick, so that animation trick wouldn't work well for me. Guess its more situational then anything else.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #38327

You only need two departments to win ai malf. Science and cargo. Order ablative armor via cargo. Put it on a guy. Research literally a few levels of research to get better capacitors for telesci, send the ablative armor in behind the glass slidy doors and bam you win. Or boohoo an engiborg walled in ai. Hulk in ablative. Ai is really, really, really underpowered and its only saving grace is that the crew tends to be amazingly incompetent.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #38414

Actually you only need telescience and something to beat AI up with. Just teleport directly on top of AI and you're immune to ranged weaponry.

You only need basic telescience setup any competent telescientist does at the round start. Power can be restored rather quickly. The only way to reliably stop telescience is with borgs.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #38455

Spoken like someone who doesn't play telescience. To have the range to reach AI core, you need to max out the telepad, which means upgraded capacitors, and more bluespace crystals, which can only be reached by dismantling the teleporter (a great way to get arrested) or by going through telepad to one of the other z-level locations, flying to the teleport locations, because they aren't in range of a direct teleport, and dismantling those, and coming back to your original beam-in spot for a teleport home. This is gonna usually take about 15 minutes, and you need someone on the telepad end to bring you back once you've looted one of the teleports in space.

It is not nearly as simple as you make it sound.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #38461

People do realize malf AIs can fuck up the telescience console? ...Right?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #38472

bandit wrote:People do realize malf AIs can fuck up the telescience console? ...Right?
Nuh uh, telesci is an untouchable God shrouded in magic and arcane whisperings. Oh wait, that's the AI core. Telesci can be defeated by a screwdriver.
Nexendia
Byond Username: Nexendia

Post by Nexendia » #38476

iyaerP wrote:Spoken like someone who doesn't play telescience. To have the range to reach AI core, you need to max out the telepad, which means upgraded capacitors, and more bluespace crystals, which can only be reached by dismantling the teleporter (a great way to get arrested) or by going through telepad to one of the other z-level locations, flying to the teleport locations, because they aren't in range of a direct teleport, and dismantling those, and coming back to your original beam-in spot for a teleport home. This is gonna usually take about 15 minutes, and you need someone on the telepad end to bring you back once you've looted one of the teleports in space.

Um it only takes adv capacitors if you are lucky with calibration... and even then it isn't that hard to research super caps... so git gud
っぽい
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #38479

Nexendia wrote:
iyaerP wrote:Spoken like someone who doesn't play telescience. To have the range to reach AI core, you need to max out the telepad, which means upgraded capacitors, and more bluespace crystals, which can only be reached by dismantling the teleporter (a great way to get arrested) or by going through telepad to one of the other z-level locations, flying to the teleport locations, because they aren't in range of a direct teleport, and dismantling those, and coming back to your original beam-in spot for a teleport home. This is gonna usually take about 15 minutes, and you need someone on the telepad end to bring you back once you've looted one of the teleports in space.

Um it only takes adv capacitors if you are lucky with calibration... and even then it isn't that hard to research super caps... so git gud
Adv capacitors only reach the AI core on a very small and specific range of offsets. That said, a two-person team can get teleporter parts (crystals and boards) from space with just an adv capacitor and skip the super capacitor entirely.With that said, it takes a lot of moving parts to make telebombing the AI core work and the AI essentially has to let it happen.
Perakp
Byond Username: Perakp

Post by Perakp » #39799

Chainstunning turrets are gone. You can once more get up and try to run away.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #40323

This is what the AI lobby looks like on a 90-man server, 14 minutes after the AI went overtly hostile and 10 minutes after "AI ROGUE" was put through the announcement system while comms were down.

Nobody even tries, nobody even bothers. It's not even worth it to kill a rogue AI, just call the shuttle and fucking run because it's not worth trying to battle it.

We'll see if chainstunning turrets make a difference, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Oldman Robustin on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #40331

The only time people come out in force against the AI is malf rounds, where it matters. Every other round the AI is either a traitor (and the station is loaded down with other antags to deal with) or subverted (same as traitor AI except the chance exists to reset the thing and be done with it,) I'm pretty ok with it not being always "AI ROGUE LYNCH THEY" at the drop of a hat every time.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #40483

cedarbridge wrote:The only time people come out in force against the AI is malf rounds, where it matters. Every other round the AI is either a traitor (and the station is loaded down with other antags to deal with) or subverted (same as traitor AI except the chance exists to reset the thing and be done with it,) I'm pretty ok with it not being always "AI ROGUE LYNCH THEY" at the drop of a hat every time.
For being the most powerful entity on the station, there needs to be more interaction with the AI besides just shouting at it on radio. Considering how incredibly fucking rare MALF is compared to regular traitor subversions or law 0... what you've stated is NOT a good balance to strike.

There needs to be a cost to being a silicon god who has more influence on the outcome of most rounds than 10 crew members combined. A little more mortality is a good thing for EVERYONE.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #40484

Why don't we just copy and paste Goonstation's AI Core? Its still well defended but its not as big a challenge to surmount.

The only problem is finding real estate for it.
Murazor
Byond Username: Murazor

Post by Murazor » #40491

I really don't know why people don't build another AI to kill a rogue AI. It is so much easier, and requires very little effort to do since all of the pieces are in Robotics, and R&D. Just cut the camera facing the new AIs APC and blam, the AI in the core can't counter.
ImageImageImage
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #40496

Murazor wrote:I really don't know why people don't build another AI to kill a rogue AI. It is so much easier, and requires very little effort to do since all of the pieces are in Robotics, and R&D. Just cut the camera facing the new AIs APC and blam, the AI in the core can't counter.
1) Finding a living, willing volunteer who knows the basics of AI control is actually really rare.
2) Comms will be down, making it even harder to find #1
3) Robotics/RND is probably the last place you ever want to be once an AI goes "loud"

I've played my fair share of AI and even I don't know how to "kill" an AI as an AI. I know powering off the APC fucks it up for a bit but I don't know how you would finish it off.

Plus the robotics controls will usually be turned off by that point so the AI will send a borg to hunt one of the few places scientists/roboticists will be able to construct an AI... likely wherever that camera is offline.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #40501

Telescience.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #40502

Stickymayhem wrote:Telescience.
If it's not blown up alongside chemistry and the robotics console, the AI deserves what it gets.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #40505

Steelpoint wrote:
If it's not blown up alongside chemistry and the robotics console, the AI deserves what it gets.
Telescience is an incredibly mobile department as well. There is a lovely spot in main t just across from the department that serves well.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #40534

Stickymayhem wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:
Telescience is an incredibly mobile department as well. There is a lovely spot in main t just across from the department that serves well.
I've seen a guy pack up the whole setup and move it into a dorm room so he could loot the armory without most of the pad upgrades. Then when sec went to lynch the telesci guy, there was nothing there.

Also, Robustin, if you turn off the APC, the AI is no longer on a powered tile and begins to lose system integrity immediately. If you did it properly and turned off the breaker there's no lights for the AI to see the APC to turn it back on either. That means the AI will eventually starve to death entirely blind unless it is saved by a borg or carded. Its similar to dragging the AI core onto the unsimulated shuttle tiles.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #40567

I can't think of a time an Ai won malf while I was RD. Honestly if you use science like you should with bombs, telescience and genetics you'll have no problems. Malf is meant to be a death fortress and I'm afraid it's one of the only things you cant brute force with robustness, Oldman.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #40590

Stickymayhem wrote:I can't think of a time an Ai won malf while I was RD. Honestly if you use science like you should with bombs, telescience and genetics you'll have no problems. Malf is meant to be a death fortress and I'm afraid it's one of the only things you cant brute force with robustness, Oldman.
This isn't about the once-a-month malf round though, that's the only time it makes sense for the AI to have a super death fortress in space.

It's about the 99% of other times when the station can't focus 100% of its attention on the AI while lowering its meta-suspicions of fellow crewmembers.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #40630

Violaceus wrote:
Also, Robustin, if you turn off the APC, the AI is no longer on a powered tile and begins to lose system integrity immediately. If you did it properly and turned off the breaker there's no lights for the AI to see the APC to turn it back on either. That means the AI will eventually starve to death entirely blind unless it is saved by a borg or carded. Its similar to dragging the AI core onto the unsimulated shuttle tiles.
Seems you haven't played as depowered AI. I did.

1. APC is off
2. AI loses vision completely and starts losing integrity
3. AI automatically starts accessing APC
4. APC window pop ups after ~20 seconds and AI can turn it on.

One time I was depowered as malf AI by secondary AI, but it didn't know about hacking APC, so I got my power back.

If you keep turning off APC after AI hacks it, you will kill it anyway.
Hacking only applies to proper malf though right? A traitor would still be SOL without a means of reaccessing the APC, or so I thought. Most of the time the only APC stunts I see with the AI APC is syndieborgs running up to turn off the APC and give the poor helpless AI a wedgie.