3 out 4 of my last deaths were from an alien hunter

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: 3 out 4 of my last deaths were from an alien hunter

Post by paprika » #40094

Bottom post of the previous page:

Aliens reck people in the movies.

However, aliens also walk on their own two feet most of the time (if we're talking alien here, and not aliens where they get cut down like weak little animals that walk on all fours) and they aren't really that much faster than humans, humans are more nimble and typically scurry away if they know when to fuck off, IE ripley.

Since alien hunters can leap now, I don't see a problem with nerfing their speed. Their speed was basically a stand-in for them not being able to actually jump tackle people like they're meant to, so there's no reason for them to be as sanic as they are.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #40107

This thread just further reinforces my belief we need to toss aliens out and replace them with something else.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #40161

Oldman Robustin wrote:Facehuggers are a fantastic mechanic
In what universe?

>aimbot stun
>pull the victim until purple thingie appears
>murder it
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #40182

The Aliens we have in SS13 are based on the Aliens from the sequel movie, not Alien.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #40183

To be fair the Aliens in Aliens are pretty similar to the Alien in Alien, Space Station 13 is the equivalent of Hadley's Hope, and the Death Squad are the Marines. But not getting of topic...

Considering that Hunters can now leap, it may be worthwhile to slightly reign in their ability to run at saniac speeds, even if its only a slight reduction. I do think that in a 1v1 circumstance the Alien should almost always win unless the Human is in the superior position (behind glass with a laser gun/cannon).
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #40219

>the guy who complains the most about how people should stop complaining and instead get robust/gud is now complaining at how he died.

News at 9: Oldman needs to get good.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #40236

I mean, there is a point where saying I died several times to this please nerf becomes valid. See old TK.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #40247

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:Facehuggers are a fantastic mechanic
In what universe?

>aimbot stun
>pull the victim until purple thingie appears
>murder it
Seeing the crew gather up with welding masks, space helmets, cardborg boxes, riot helmets, etc. is fantastic. Having a stun mechanic that can actually be mitigated by the average crewmember is nice. For those who don't wear protection then it's great being able to strategize how to use your facehuggers as landmines/projectiles/superstuns.

They're versatile, iconic, and strong but the crew has very powerful counterplay options too (flamethrowers mop facehuggers up by the dozen).

Facehuggers are more interesting than 95% of the rest of this game's combat strategy:

1) SPAM CLICK YOUR STUN ON ENEMY SPRITE
2) KILL

But I'm getting off-topic now. People who are surprised about me complaining on this shouldn't be. If I think something is balanced and people complain I say "GIT GUD" because nerfing something balanced leads to nerfed gameplay (aka nobody dies and every round feels like extended). If I think something is underpowered I call for buffs (like traitor non-combat TC costs) because there are interesting ideas not being used because of some impediments. In this case (just like magic missile/blink wizards and space ninja) I think something is so strong it's downright broken and terribly unfun to go up against, I call for nerfs. Not big surprise.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #40255

aliens are pretty broken atm yeah, but they can be fun as long as they don't happen too often and there's some admin guidance.

i'd love to completely overhaul them but i think the general theme is pretty cool. (and making all-new sprites would be a bit of a waste imo)

the problem with overhauling them is much the same as with cult: nobody really knows what to do with it.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #40273

MisterPerson wrote:This thread just further reinforces my belief we need to toss aliens out and replace them with something else.
GREYS GREYS GREYS

AYY LMAO

THEY INFEST PEOPLE WITH SHIT JUST LIKE THE XENOMORPHS BUT WHEN THEY CHESTBURST A SKELETON POPS OUT
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #40374

paprika wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:This thread just further reinforces my belief we need to toss aliens out and replace them with something else.
GREYS GREYS GREYS

AYY LMAO

THEY INFEST PEOPLE WITH SHIT JUST LIKE THE XENOMORPHS BUT WHEN THEY CHESTBURST A SKELETON POPS OUT
Holy shit, alien abductions on the station would actually be cool, they emit an EMP that shuts off all lights and handle held lights. Have night vision and can stun you, drag you away, and then fly back doing experiments on you.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #41041

I have to be honest, unless the aliens could have some form of upgrades that they could get by performing dissections or whatever, all you would end up with would be asshole players doing forced sex changes and then hiding behind their antag status. I don't like it, but a surgery focused antag? You know that that is what all the little shitlers would do.
Mastigos

Post by Mastigos » #42642

All I'm getting out of this topic is that admins have been seriously remiss in not uploading spacejam.ogg when aliums happen. They're hideously overpowered, yeah, but that's why people think they're fun.
Hornygranny wrote: i was wrong
Paprika wrote:Saegrimr is right.
#NEVERFORGET
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #42665

Mastigos wrote:All I'm getting out of this topic is that admins have been seriously remiss in not uploading spacejam.ogg when aliums happen. They're hideously overpowered, yeah, but that's why people think they're fun.
last time spacejam.ogg got uploaded badger crashed :v
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted