Firefighter mechs are awful at fighting fires

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Firefighter mechs are awful at fighting fires

Post by Denton » #428393

As the title says, firefigher APLUs are ironically bad at fighting fires.

Ripleys can't open firelocks or airlocks - you either have to leave the mech and pry it open or use your drill to completely break it.
Mech fire extinguishers are also really bad at handling fires compared to atmos backpacks or advanced extinguishers (no way to get rid of plasma unlike foam/resin).

Some people on Discord had good ideas:
- Give the hydraulic clamp jaws of life functionality where it works as a crowbar that can pry open powered airlocks. If that's unbalanced, just being able to open firelocks would do the trick.
- Add the atmos backpack's resin foaming/launching to mech fire extinguishers. Have it synthesize water, just how mech weapons synthesize bullets.

With that, it might be feasible to actually use Ripleys for engineering and firefighting instead of mining and cheesing megafauna.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Firefighter mechs are awful at fighting fires

Post by Saegrimr » #428425

Let the clamp open doors too. "Overpowered" is a joke for mechs like that like there's so much cheaper and easier options for breaking into places I doubt there's going to be an epidemic of people building firefighter chassis just to sneak into the captain's office. Also suggestion, let mechs walking into the foam break the foam apart instantly because that shit is a pain to clean up otherwise.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #428581

I really don't like ATMOS resin since it trivializes a lot of fire-related issues, doubly so with stuff like poppers.

Wouldn't it be better to have a module, something like "volatile gas tanks" that comes with a ingrained scrubber, so that the mech acts as a mobile scrubber?

Admittedly this is more a complaint against the existence of ATMOS resin then the fact that the Firefighter APLU might need it.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #428582

Fire mechanics need to be remade from scratch.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #428584

fires have been lame since "improved atmos"
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #428624

Arianya wrote:I really don't like ATMOS resin since it trivializes a lot of fire-related issues, doubly so with stuff like poppers.

Wouldn't it be better to have a module, something like "volatile gas tanks" that comes with a ingrained scrubber, so that the mech acts as a mobile scrubber?

Admittedly this is more a complaint against the existence of ATMOS resin then the fact that the Firefighter APLU might need it.
Atmos resin makes being an atmos tech actually possible. The problem with fires pre-resin was that the pressure increase was so high you couldnt fix the room's air without punching a hole in the station with an RCD.

Non-plasma based fires would be nice as well.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #428678

Arianya wrote:I really don't like ATMOS resin since it trivializes a lot of fire-related issues
I feel like fires burning themselves out completely before anybody can even get to one trivializes the foam. Rare you get a continuous fire source like emagged holodeck or atmos flooding and chances are if there's an atmos flood... Either you're the reason why or you're in there messing with pipes to empty out distro.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #428731

Arianya wrote:I really don't like ATMOS resin since it trivializes a lot of fire-related issues
Atmos resin is probably the only way to fix atmos fast enough for /tg/ round times. Otherwise you need to bring in a scrubber and wait, bring in an air pump or hook a tank to distro and wait, bring in a space heater and zZzzzzzz

It's a snoozefest where you stand around and wait for machines to do their job at a snail's pace, not to mention that space heaters are absolute trash at lowering room temperatures
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #428879

That's because only plasma fires exist. And they come in in two flavors, slightly burned floor and bit of heat for a while and fuck this everything is burned to the ground nobody will fix it anyway this area is now condemned.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #428881

The clamp opening doors is a cool idea. It should be able to open powered doors, too, like xenos or the jaws of life can (taking a bit of time).
Apparently I was an director or something.