Illegal cyborg modules

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
goymaster123
Byond Username: Goymaster123

Illegal cyborg modules

Post by goymaster123 » #46529

Every time I play nuke op our borg is instantly evaporated by another cyborg with an illegal module, they need to be harder to make than just requiring diamonds, because by the time the syndies get to the station they already have a borg with an illegal module installed ready to leave our assholes wide open.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Illegal cyborg modules

Post by oranges » #46531

Nah, I think syndicates should just win each round the moment it starts. That seems fairer.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #46535

Have a human kill the powergaming borg, since on Asimov it can't do shit to you, there, your Syndiborg is safe.
私は完璧
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #46542

If your syndiborg seriously gets wrecked by another borg, and you gave the crew enough time for the miners to bring back diamonds, then there is something seriously bad about your team or your syndiborg player. If you are worried about station borgs, bring an ion rifle or a flashbang. The only time your syndiborg should be on its own is when it goes to kill the AI.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #46546

It really sounds like you have a terrible borg.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #46584

doing it wrong @
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #46611

>be syndieborg
>drag locker
>block projectiles from enemy borgs with locker
>flash
>emag
>cowbar
>flash
>emag
>crowbar
>hi, go kill people
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #46619

deathhoof wrote:>be syndieborg
>drag locker
>block projectiles from enemy borgs with locker
>flash
>emag
>cowbar
>flash
>emag
>crowbar
>hi, go kill people
That's terrible.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #46643

But valid tactics
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #46663

You would have to be waiting a long time for the crew to get illegal modules. Hell you would need a telescientist to get the illegal shit.

Git Gud.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #46669

ThatSlyFox wrote:You would have to be waiting a long time for the crew to get illegal modules. Hell you would need a telescientist to get the illegal shit.

Git Gud.
Last time I checked, Exosuit RCDs (Or something Exosuit, I can't freaking remember now I come to write it) have illegal technology ranks.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #46679

Akkryls wrote:
ThatSlyFox wrote:You would have to be waiting a long time for the crew to get illegal modules. Hell you would need a telescientist to get the illegal shit.

Git Gud.
Last time I checked, Exosuit RCDs (Or something Exosuit, I can't freaking remember now I come to write it) have illegal technology ranks.
well that's retarded.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #46688

Energy relay gives 2 illegal tech I think. Not wormhole for sure, that's just 3 blue-space.

It is stupid though.

However, getting illegal tech through telesci is a matter of minutes. About five minutes to set it all up with crystals and capacitors, about a minute to calculate and get stuff.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #46692

Violaceus wrote:It's wormhole generator I think.

By the way, HoS is perfectly justified to arrest scientists performing illegal research and ordering AI to delete progress in that field?
>implying the HoS won't just order the scientists to make him a ton of illegal shit.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #46724

Violaceus wrote:By the way, HoS is perfectly justified to arrest scientists performing illegal research and ordering AI to delete progress in that field?
By space law, that's not allowed. The various "possession of dangerous goods" laws all have exceptions for the crew possessing items necessary to their work. In particular, scientists are allowed to have plasma bombs.

Of course, any fool can order the AI to do anything, but if I was RD, and an HoS started doing that, I'd turn him into a monkey.
Remove the AI.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #46726

You don't even need high tech shit to take out a syndieborg. Just run up to it with a flash while it is trying to laser you.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #46731

While I can understand the frustration here, I don't think removing illegal module is the solution. It is, however, somewhat annoying that Exosuit Energy Relays do grant illegal tech research.

Still, it's also somewhat relevant that in the last few Nuclear Emergency rounds I've been in/observed, Syndicate borg players are more often than not comically incompetent, getting lost in space or totally wrecked when they fuck up killing the AI. Not to mention that they have the same weaknesses as other borgs as listed in prior posts.

I'm not quite sure what the solution here is. But to reiterate, the way illegal tech research is supposed to work (In my eyes) is by giving the crew otherwise unavailable items as a reward for capturing Syndicate contraband from traitors etc, not by giving them goodies because they deconned something made from exosuit fabs.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #46732

Might want to observe science a few rounds, I doubt they're getting illegal tech from relays (which require prior research and Silver to build).
More like Spreadsheet Lookup telescience is zapping the stuff thats intentionally out of the way to the science in under 5 minutes.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #46734

This is not an issue. Nothing needs to change here, except that the OP needs a better and *faster* Nuke Ops team. It is no different than whining that Science managed to arm up with X-ray guns and laser cannons, Robotics managed to get a Gygax up, Genetics finding powers, virology making a heal virus or Security getting the chance to arm with E-guns and provide an organized defense. The crew were simply ready for you. If you give the crew a chance to arm up, your chance of making it out alive drop dramatically.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #46764

Cecily wrote:I'm not quite sure what the solution here is. But to reiterate, the way illegal tech research is supposed to work (In my eyes) is by giving the crew otherwise unavailable items as a reward for capturing Syndicate contraband from traitors etc, not by giving them goodies because they deconned something made from exosuit fabs.
It already requires miners loot the alien outpost or a telescience tech grab one of the toolboxes in space first. Its not like they just print the boards for asking for them.