Do centcom announcements about aliens ruin the event?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Arkraven

Do centcom announcements about aliens ruin the event?

Post by Arkraven » #50141

A lot of people agreed in game recently, when I asked if centcom announcing that aliens have infected the station while they are still larvae effectively ruins the round.

The minute alien sentries are found the shuttle is usually called before the alien round even gets started, also taking into account gestation time for alien larvae it essentially stifles any sort of threat.

Hell 95% of alien infestations are easily dealt with and end in 2/3 larvae dead and the station still pretty much fine.

So here's an idea, why not disable the announcement until someone screams about aliens over the comms? Have a script check to see if an alien is actually aboard after someone does call it and then have the announcement displayed.

Another idea is to have the station actually deal with the threat, or have a centcom announcement about activating the nuke to prevent their a escape if the alien population gets over certain point.

So thoughts?
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Re: Do centcom announcements about aliens ruin the event?

Post by Bombadil » #50157

I'd say if alien population gets to be 4 or so then thats when the announcement occurs.

Queens get royally fucked by the announcement
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #50170

You have to remember that aliens aren't supposed to be a round-type unto themselves, but rather a game-ending mechanism for rounds that drag on too long. That is why they are so OP, so players either mech up and teamwork to take them down, die horribly while feeding new bodies to the aliums, or flee to the shuttle.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #50172

While it's not particularly fun, it's worth mentioning that if the crew doesn't kill them that early they are guaranteed to completely die.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #50209

I don't know, I've seen rounds where aliens manage to establish a sizeable base and they still get wrecked by a competent crew. There is a balanced area where the aliens have established themselves yet are still able to be stopped. The announcement should be timed around this.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #50214

Stickymayhem wrote:While it's not particularly fun, it's worth mentioning that if the crew doesn't kill them that early they are guaranteed to completely die.
Ripleys with goliath armor and death ripleys are fucking xeno bane. Also tons of rounds now have laser cannons when they used to never get built now their thrown about like fucking candy
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #50217

i think it would be a good idea to at least try disabling the announcements.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #50830

A halfway solution: Have a classified report print, but not automatically produce an announcement. The command staff will have to read it and decide whether to announce it to the crew publicly or (if traitors / bored / dead / braindead / whatever) keep it quiet.

Also will reduce meta because the only current classified report IIRC is for blobs bursting.
Last edited by bandit on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Sum Ting Wong

Post by Sum Ting Wong » #50863

The AI being able to track larva is a bigger problem.
Zsword

Post by Zsword » #50865

I actually really like the classified report idea, it gives heads some purpose other than 'better at *divisions* job than the rest of the division', Captain and HOP aside, it also sets out a sort of objective for them to check up on a little more routinely than once ever, as well as add the bridge as an actual patrol point for the HoS or something.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #50870

Aliens are meant to end rounds, admins who don't know this already are bad
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #51310

I sort of think they are a bit of a problem, I'd rather they were much later. It's nice when aliens have to be discovered to be...well, discovered: magical space sensors aren't that interesting if you're playing as an alien.
Arkraven

Post by Arkraven » #53246

I know it's supposed to be an end of round thing, but my complaint is that it doesn't serve its purpose well... Especially if it sucks at ending a round because of announcements about it...